Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

And it loving counted, somehow! I was able to carve and we got the quest rewards and everything.

I didn't even know that could happen!

This is (I think) incredibly rare, but it is also incredibly awesome when it happens.

It's a different experience than yours, we didn't get the quest fail music so yours is more baffling, but I had a similar moment happen when a friend and I first fought a Rathian online. I was Aerial styling and managed to Aerial style myself right into the Rathian's big red glowing mouth. Naturally I get blasted with a fireball and die (Completely empty health bar, third cart) but my friend killed it at the same time, so it counted as our win. Maybe it's a slight lag/latency thing that counted it as a successful kill before you died so it synced in their favor?

Also I do wish sometimes that this game had voice chat. Nothing is more miserable than fighting a Nakarkos with 2 people after the third guy immediately drops upon starting the quest only to have it end in a fail after 30ish minutes of fighting. I was Lancing it in the mouth as it charged its killer laser beam thing, but I have pretty good defense so I knew I could survive it. The guy whaling on it next to me, on the other hand, could not and had already died twice so all I could do is keep stabbing and wait for the inevitable. :smith: I'll be HR8+ one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

i wish Mizutsune was slightly more threatening because it's design is so awesome.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is (I think) incredibly rare, but it is also incredibly awesome when it happens.

It's a different experience than yours, we didn't get the quest fail music so yours is more baffling, but I had a similar moment happen when a friend and I first fought a Rathian online. I was Aerial styling and managed to Aerial style myself right into the Rathian's big red glowing mouth. Naturally I get blasted with a fireball and die (Completely empty health bar, third cart) but my friend killed it at the same time, so it counted as our win. Maybe it's a slight lag/latency thing that counted it as a successful kill before you died so it synced in their favor?

Also I do wish sometimes that this game had voice chat. Nothing is more miserable than fighting a Nakarkos with 2 people after the third guy immediately drops upon starting the quest only to have it end in a fail after 30ish minutes of fighting. I was Lancing it in the mouth as it charged its killer laser beam thing, but I have pretty good defense so I knew I could survive it. The guy whaling on it next to me, on the other hand, could not and had already died twice so all I could do is keep stabbing and wait for the inevitable. :smith: I'll be HR8+ one day.

Yeah, it sounds like a lag thing, they must just kill it in the magic second before your death "takes." Nobody mentioned anything about it after the quest, so it must've all been on my end. Lucky breaks!

And if you're not HR8 by the time you read this post, put up a room. I'm sure there's more than a few posters here who wouldn't mind helping out, myself included. I'm kicking myself for picking this up so late, i didn't realize it was actually out already until September and the online scene is so dead by now it's killing me.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How's 4U's online scene? Once day I'll get off my rear end and reach G-Crown.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Related to this, if you get killed in midair, it is possible to get lifepowdered back to life before you hit the ground and officially die.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BMan posted:

Related to this, if you get killed in midair, it is possible to get lifepowdered back to life before you hit the ground and officially die.

I've always kind of enjoyed that there's a reverse-5 second rule for Hunters.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

How's 4U's online scene? Once day I'll get off my rear end and reach G-Crown.

Last I checked about a month ago, extremely Hispanic. So, set up some spanish messages for all of your stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Guess I have to switch off of French.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Million Ghosts posted:

i wish Mizutsune was slightly more threatening because it's design is so awesome. i can't get the waist armour for the set to show up for some reason, though.

The thing with the Mizutsune is that it's meant to be a passive monster and you only kill it because it keeps wandering into human territories if I remember correctly.

So you're just killing it because you're a jerk.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It'll even give you buffs and healing if you touch the colored bubbles it shoots, and the bubble staus is actually beneficial if you've only got the first stage. It more or less goes easy on you until you enrage it, too. I think the only reason they send you to kill it that one time is that Mizu mating season is happening a little too close to a habitated area and making the villagers antsy.

It's a big, pretty, scrubby-brush dragon that just wants everyone to clean up their act, and you murder it in cold blood. Wosh u soul.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I did my first 4 star Rathian village quest earlier and I got a plate after capturing her. :stare:

What a nice welcome gift after not playing an MH game for 6 years.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm not sure if the droprates got buffed or if I'm just extremely lucky but I get a Rathian/Rathalos plate for every 3 hunts, when normally it takes upwards of 10.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm not sure if the droprates got buffed or if I'm just extremely lucky but I get a Rathian/Rathalos plate for every 3 hunts, when normally it takes upwards of 10.

So, were you looking for plates at the time?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Is it worth it to farm Mizutsune in the hopes of getting claws? It was a little rough on the first time through with a Focus set of armor and a Khezu bow lv2, but I really want its bow.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fridurmus posted:

Is it worth it to farm Mizutsune in the hopes of getting claws? It was a little rough on the first time through with a Focus set of armor and a Khezu bow lv2, but I really want its bow.

Mizu claws take practically no damage from anything but thunder. You can carve them sometimes, but your best bet is to figure out what you have that does the most thunder damage with no chance of bouncing. A LBG that rapid fires thunder is ideal for this.

Edited with more info from kiranico

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/monster/mizutsune

See 21 cut 21 impact and 10 shot damage, but it takes 35 thunder and 30 dragon.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 8, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A switch axe in sword form doesn't bounce. Grab one with a power phial and go to town.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I just tried to gather abyssal mushrooms in 3* village quests. I'm so mad that I couldn't finish that quest, I was sure I was making some sort of headway.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Sorry to ask a question that I'm sure is answered somewhere in the thread, but do poison (or sleep) attacks (like, for example, The Big Hitter gunlance's attacks) actually poison the target, or is it just another form of damage? I'm trying to decide if I want to build The Big Hitter because it looks cool, but don't want to totally waste all the materials I dumped into my petrified gunlance if poison is lame.

Also, what does the little number after the gunlance's type mean? I can guess that Normal 2 is better than Normal 1, but what exactly do I gain from that increase?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

USMC_Karl posted:

Sorry to ask a question that I'm sure is answered somewhere in the thread, but do poison (or sleep) attacks (like, for example, The Big Hitter gunlance's attacks) actually poison the target, or is it just another form of damage? I'm trying to decide if I want to build The Big Hitter because it looks cool, but don't want to totally waste all the materials I dumped into my petrified gunlance if poison is lame.

Also, what does the little number after the gunlance's type mean? I can guess that Normal 2 is better than Normal 1, but what exactly do I gain from that increase?

1. Status works off a threshold system. A poison weapon, for instance, inflicts a set amount of status damage. Once a certain threshold of poison damage has been reached, the monster starts taking X amount of poison damage for Y seconds. How much damage, how long it lasts, and what the threshold is depends on the individual monster.

2. The number indicates shot level. Higher shot Levels equal more damage. Higher shot levels are always better.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's like poison/bleed/other effects in the Souls games if you've played them, but you don't get to see the bar.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 10, 2016

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Ah, the Souls metaphor works perfectly. Okay then, time to start building The Big Hitter then. I'll just lean on my macerators and twin chainsaws until it gets beefed up enough to be able to poison everything to death.

Back to the status effects, so if I use a shotgun blast of 5 bullets with my gunlance, is the status damage scaled appropriately? Or is it just a flat addition to damage?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Also the threshold rises every time you reach it so it will take more hits to trigger a status effect a second time, and even more hits for a third time, and so on.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Status damage is never applied via shelling when you're using a gunlance. Also, it's not quite like souls. In souls you always build bleed/poison/whatever with each hit whereas in this it's RNG whether any particular hit is actually building it. The slow(ish) attack rate of GL mixed in with shells not even having a chance to inflict status makes it kind of questionable overall. If you're using status on a GL it's because the GL with it is great in some other way and the status is just a bonus.

As for poison in general, on most monsters it's kind of lame in single player compared to the damage you'd be inflicting with an element throughout the hunt or would be able to inflict during a sleep or paralyze opening. It's almost always lame in multiplayer, compared to paralyze or sleep. New players will often use poison weapons to help them get past monsters they're still learning how to deal with in rage mode. If they'd just be running away or turtling up while a monster rages poison is advantageous because at least then it's possible the monster is taking damage during that period.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Dammit, well there goes that idea. I'll scratch the poison damage then. I tend to be aggressive to a fault, so I don't think the poison will be too helpful for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poison's pretty good against monsters that are big sacks of hp like duramboros

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

As a general rule the faster a weapon attacks, the more use they get out of elements or status because those apply per attack and how strong the attack actually is doesn't matter. So a sword and shield with good fire damage will shred something weak to fire, but a greatsword won't get much out of it.

Gunlance is the outlier in this, as you really need to focus on stabbing to make the most out of any element attached to the weapon. The shells do fixed damage which owns because they'll do the same amount of damage no matter where on the monster you hit (as opposed to hitting a monster in a weak/strong hitzone) so you can go hog wild shelling, but in exchange shell damage is a mix of fixed damage and a bit of fire so monsters weak to that take a bit more damage.

I don't have the chart offhand (it's in gaijinhunter's GL tutorial iirc), but shell damage goes normal->long->wide. Normal shots get a bonus to damage during a full burst (unloading all remaining shells during a slam), long gets a bonus to wyvern fire, and wide gets a bonus to charged shots.

Full disclosure: I play wide gunlance when I use it so I don't give a poo poo about stabbing and shoot forever so my opinion about elements and status is a bit skewed

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Poison is particularly useful against Kushala Daora; not only is it incredibly weak to poison and builds resistance slowly, it can't maintain its black wind of constant tripping while it's poisoned. Other than that I don't bother with it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
A thing to keep in mind about Poison, and Blast, is that they won't decide a battle. They really just shorten it a bit by doing some extra damage.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

A thing to keep in mind about Poison, and Blast, is that they won't decide a battle. They really just shorten it a bit by doing some extra damage.

Back in my day...

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

USMC_Karl posted:

Dammit, well there goes that idea. I'll scratch the poison damage then. I tend to be aggressive to a fault, so I don't think the poison will be too helpful for me.

In MH4U, I used the rathian gunlance as my normal shot gunlance because it was an awesome weapon. I didn't always apply poison in a fight, but it still happened fairly regularly.

You see, extra elemental damage is kinda moot when your weapon isn't great at applying it anyways. When it comes to slower weapons like GS, hammer and gunlance, you really want to be focusing on the raw damage. If there is a status or an element on top of that, then cool. Hell I'd say status damage is better than elemental damage for those weapons, as it's steadily building the status guage for an effect per hit over doing small non-modifying element damage per hit.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The guy sitting next to me at the DMV is playing MHGen.

If only I thought to bring my 3ds rather than my Kindle.

Looks like he's using Adept IG. :stare:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Some monsters will shrug off poison, but some monsters take a pretty significant amount of damage from it, like Uragaan and Kushala Daora. Status weapons in single player are alright, but being that one guy with a paralysis weapon in a multi-player hunt is a godsend. If you want to roll with status weapons, use something that can unleash a flurry of attacks like the Sword & Board or the Insect Glaive.

There is one exception here, using a Paralysis Hammer/Hunting Horn makes you an utter bastard and if you don't need tail carves you can completely poo poo on any fight with little effort.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Can I get some advice on this armor set? I quite like how it looks, but I wonder if I can squeeze more out of it.

The charm is a FastCharge +4 with a Sharpness +4 (OOO) gem slotted in. An extra gem in the chest gives me the full points for Focus.

I want to keep Tropic Hunter on it because I definitely want to use the Dragonlord's Gaze and I might as well have the skill active. I wish the chest looked just a bit different, that the yellow were a bit more subtle. But I think the outfit has a "severe" look to it that I like a lot. (e: Coloring the Agnaktor waist yellow helps tie the armor together a little better. Makes it look like a longer coat, a little bit.)

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 12, 2016

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Electric Lady posted:

Looks like he's using Adept IG. :stare:
Looks like he's playing Insect Glaive wrong :grin:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm trying to do the last upgrade on my ceanataur GS, what's the easiest way to get a quest that gives hyper claw +? I'm thinking it's the ghosts and goblins event quest, which shouldn't be too bad since it's a subquest reward and mounting twice isn't too hard. The other quest I have access to wants me to break hyper mizutsune's claws and that's not happening

I thought I was going to be able to get all the materials for this from hyper ceanataur, but apparently despite being made of 60% claw the claws it has aren't good enough. Why are there two tiers of an item that drops off of hyper monsters, anyway? Hyper 'los or hyper tigrex aren't any harder, it just means I have to take an extra step to make my crab sword.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Today I carved a Gendrome head and got another one in the rewards. Gendromes reproduce by budding, confirmed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just got back from vacation and downloaded the latest DLC pack. I see they finally released that Palico skill that's supposed to be a straight upgrade to Last Stand. All the try-hard cat builds use it.

Meh. I am unimpressed. It requires you to not equip any armor! Half the fun of cats is dressing them up in silly outfits. I'll pass. If I can't Fashion Hunt, I'm not interested!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
On the other hand the default cat shirts are the only place you can pick out the exact shade of purple you want.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

This is just a dumb post to ignore but I need to vent. Why the gently caress has capcom not put some limits on how often an action can be repeated in this game is legit confusing. Watching a monster do the exact same move 5 times over or just chain retreating back and forth on a map for no reason is straight up baffling, it just gets so tedious and seems an easy fix. But then again I am an idiot so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did Khezu do his little electric dome bullshit fourteen times or fifteen?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. :clint:

• Locked thread