Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, lots of Fuji rebates when live today:

http://www.fujirumors.com/huge-usa-x-deals-fujifilm-x-pro2-150-off-x100t-200-off-xf-lenses-400-off-xf352-299-lot/

I picked up the 16mm myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am interested in something longer than the 50-140 (which is my longest Fuji lens) just for birds and wildlife. The 50-230 is only 200 bucks now...so unless it is a dog there is not reason not to buy it unless it sucks. If the teleconverter were on sale I would probably get that but does anyone have this lens and any thoughts on it, particularly IQ and AF? It is slow but for birds that doesn't really matter if the AF can keep up.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thoren posted:

edit: Also, am I the only one who perceives Sony cameras as a bit fragile?

The a6000 definitely feels like a toy. One of the big reasons I sold it and dropped the whole Sony mirrorless system was because I felt sure that I would break it eventually. My EM10 on the other hand is very solid, especially for a bottom-tier consumer mirrorless camera. Solid in terms of materials, mind. It has actual metal built into it. The fit and finish is no better than the a6000. In fact the mount is barely in spec; any attached lenses sit very tight... which I guess is better than being too loose.

Finger Prince posted:

There is that, and also the fact that Olympus, historically, is not a particularly well run company.

Oh, horribly run. They were cooking the books for over a decade. I'm surprised that the Yakuza didn't knock off that British CEO who uncovered the fraud, and it's telling that Olympus wasn't broken up and sold off after it all came to light. Other big Japanese firms could very well be in the same situation, and if Oly was allowed to fail it could have led to a domino effect on the entire industry.

They basically own the global medical endoscope market, though. And they can spin design and manufacturing assets from the medical imaging division off into their consumer camera stuff, so I don't think they're going to die out anytime soon, unless m43 tanks altogether.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rio posted:

I bought a photo vest off Craigslist and ended up talking to the guy selling it for a while. He is a pro who shoots Olympus and had just gone to some big Olympus release party that was showing everyone the new body. I don't know anything about the system but he said after shooting with it that is was definitely worth the price for him. The IBIS was amazing apparently. Also the hired photographer for the even was shooting Canon, which was a laugh.

Anyone looking for Fuji gear, B&H has a lot of stuff for sale for up to 400 bucks off. The X-T1, for example, is 899.

I have only seen this video so far but the IBIS really does seem impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYECFKNMVkU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

rio posted:

I am interested in something longer than the 50-140 (which is my longest Fuji lens) just for birds and wildlife. The 50-230 is only 200 bucks now...so unless it is a dog there is not reason not to buy it unless it sucks. If the teleconverter were on sale I would probably get that but does anyone have this lens and any thoughts on it, particularly IQ and AF? It is slow but for birds that doesn't really matter if the AF can keep up.

I've posted a bit about it after I got one on the cheap. Verdict, okay not great, good value for money. drat slow for shooting birds but can do the job thanks to a surprisingly good OIS. If you have the 50-140 i'd just stick with that unless you really want the lightness/size of the 50-230.

SOOC Jpg from yesterday. 230mm, f6.7, 1/60, ISO 800.

Fullsize

Fullsize, minor editing in C1. 130mm, f7.1, 1/125, ISO 800.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 7, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I have only seen this video so far but the IBIS really does seem impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYECFKNMVkU

Well drat :stare:

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Graniteman posted:

I'm replacing a X100T, so I've got a 23/2 now with that one, and I shoot it wide open more than anything else. That's making me thing I'd get more miles out of the 1.4 than a 2. It's mostly for shooting my four year old. So noise isn't a problem, but AF speed is so I can keep up with the kid. I'm also moving away from a full frame canon setup so even with a big 23/1.4 I'd be smaller and lighter than my old setup. What I really want is a 23/1.4 mark II I guess with a linear focusing motor. Maybe I should just get the /2 until they revamp the pro line.

Edit: a guy on Craigslist is selling a 23 1.4 for $625 so I'll buy that, assuming he doesn't murder me.

I got the 23/1.4 yesterday from the craigslist guy. Of COURSE the day after I buy a used lens for $625 Fuji starts their sale and it's now listed for $650 new.

That said, the lens is great, and the AF is plenty fast enough for me. I expect this lens to stay on my camera most of the time.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Saros posted:

I've posted a bit about it after I got one on the cheap. Verdict, okay not great, good value for money. drat slow for shooting birds but can do the job thanks to a surprisingly good OIS. If you have the 50-140 i'd just stick with that unless you really want the lightness/size of the 50-230.

SOOC Jpg from yesterday. 230mm, f6.7, 1/60, ISO 800.

Fullsize

Fullsize, minor editing in C1. 130mm, f7.1, 1/125, ISO 800.

It is not so much the lightness or size but the extra reach. If the autofocus sucks though then I don't know. It is just 200 bucks but I could put that into the teleconverter instead (although that is not on sale). It is hard to gauge how the af would be since I don't have any of the notoriously poor af lenses and every seems fast with x-t2.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Question, for all Fuji people but specifically X-Pro 2 and X-T2 people. What are you doing for sharpening with your raws? I had settled with my X-T1 on sharpening in Lightroom with the detail maxed and the radius at around 1.3. It was never perfect but it was good enough. With the X-T2 I am not as pleased and wondering if I should sharpen in photoshop first and then work on images in Lightroom. I still haven't tried Capture One although I intended too...I am pretty set in my ways with Lightroom at the point though. I haven't been doing large projects since I just got the camera so I have just been transferring to jpg in the camera so far but anticipating the inevitable time that I get a large amount of photos I need to deal with I would like to figure this out now rather than wait until the last second.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

rio posted:

Question, for all Fuji people but specifically X-Pro 2 and X-T2 people. What are you doing for sharpening with your raws? I had settled with my X-T1 on sharpening in Lightroom with the detail maxed and the radius at around 1.3. It was never perfect but it was good enough. With the X-T2 I am not as pleased and wondering if I should sharpen in photoshop first and then work on images in Lightroom. I still haven't tried Capture One although I intended too...I am pretty set in my ways with Lightroom at the point though. I haven't been doing large projects since I just got the camera so I have just been transferring to jpg in the camera so far but anticipating the inevitable time that I get a large amount of photos I need to deal with I would like to figure this out now rather than wait until the last second.

I personally don't use it myself but Nik Collection has the RAW Presharpener plugin for Photoshop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rio posted:

I would try a lower radius and using masking a bit. I too do the maxed detail low amount method.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I would try a lower radius and using masking a bit. I too do the maxed detail low amount method.

Same here.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
New X-T1 and X-Pro2 firmware out today, but no X-T2 yet :negative:

Any rumors when it'll be available?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Supposedly postponed to November 29. I hope it fixes printing to Instax.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Does anyone own the Fuji 10-24? I've read a few reviews that makes it clear it's not a great lens technically, but how will it stand up in practical use? My primary uses would be for cars and for amateur architecture.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BANME.sh posted:

For the people that don't want to google:

1. Compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.
Additional functions like the multi-flash lighting, high-speed flash sync and so on can be used with the EF-X500.
Accordingly, the FLASH SETTING and the Shooting Menu is dramatically changed.
2. The items that can be assigned to the Quick Menu have changed.
FLASH FUNCTION SETTINGS and FLASH COMPENSATION have been added due to the compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.
3. The roles that can be assigned to the Function buttons have changed.
FLASH FUNCTION SETTINGS, TTL-LOCK and MODELING FLASH have been added due to the compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

JSW2 posted:

Does anyone own the Fuji 10-24? I've read a few reviews that makes it clear it's not a great lens technically, but how will it stand up in practical use? My primary uses would be for cars and for amateur architecture.

I am not sure what would make this lens 'not a great lens'. It's on my X-T2 most of the time. Sure, it's slow at f4 but I rarely have to take it off of the camera due to low light (and when I do, I have the 16 f/1.4). The AF is plenty fast, the IQ is terrific and it can go super wide... The build quality is great; not quite to the 16mm standards (or the 35) but I never feel like it is a cheap lens. The distortion exists but that's due to it being a super wide.

What are your concerns?

[edit] 16 f/1.4, not f/1.8

jink fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 9, 2016

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

JSW2 posted:

I love this lens - I own 8 Fuji lenses and this is one of the ones I use the most - it's super versatile and the quality is great.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I owned 10-24 and sold it to buy the 16mm f/1.4 because I needed the speed. The quality was excellent, it's a touch softer at 24mm than say the 23mm prime but that's a given.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

jink posted:

What are your concerns?

I suppose the edge sharpness and the fall off from center. The distortion to a lesser extent. The coma isn't a concern.

I've never used a Fuji lens without a marked aperture ring; what's the behavior when you switch lenses? Does it reset to wide-open, or remember the previous aperture?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JSW2 posted:

I suppose the edge sharpness and the fall off from center. The distortion to a lesser extent. The coma isn't a concern.

I've never used a Fuji lens without a marked aperture ring; what's the behavior when you switch lenses? Does it reset to wide-open, or remember the previous aperture?

At 24mm the edges aren't bad but they aren't prime lens sharp either. It remembers the previous aperture.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Why is there not an aperture ring on that lens? It is not a variable aperture (not that it matters since the 18-55 has one), it is not 27mm small and it is not a cheap lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

Why is there not an aperture ring on that lens? It is not a variable aperture (not that it matters since the 18-55 has one), it is not 27mm small and it is not a cheap lens.

There is an aperture ring it's just like the 18-55's not a marked one like the prime line-up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Okay I think I love the 90. All Velvia SOOC but posted from my phone to Imgur so they might end up compressed to hell:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thats freaking gorgeous. I am now convinced I want that lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Animal posted:

Thats freaking gorgeous. I am now convinced I want that lens.

It's real good

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Okay I think I love the 90. All Velvia SOOC but posted from my phone to Imgur so they might end up compressed to hell:

Jesus Christ. I've been an Olympus man since I bought my EM5 3 years ago but these might actually make me switch. These are seriously straight out of camera? No editing, just shoot/transfer/upload?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

nexxai posted:

Jesus Christ. I've been an Olympus man since I bought my EM5 3 years ago but these might actually make me switch. These are seriously straight out of camera? No editing, just shoot/transfer/upload?

Fuji's jpg engine is that good
https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=sooc&user_id=78356339%40N00&view_all=1

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I use SOOC JPGs all the time with Fuji. I still shoot RAW+JPG because why not, but the majority of the time I'm just passing around the JPEG.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
More Fuji, claimed SOOC: https://500px.com/search?q=fuji+sooc&type=photos&sort=relevance

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So.. anyone interested in a lightly used Sony a7ii and FE55? :D

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

LiquidRain posted:

I use SOOC JPGs all the time with Fuji. I still shoot RAW+JPG because why not, but the majority of the time I'm just passing around the JPEG.

It's been said before, but I shoot RAW just so I can change the film mode after the fact. If you keep it, Fuji lets you change the film simulation, or edit the one you used, without ever leaving the camera interface. You can shoot once, generate a few variants and use those SOOC, which is really nice if you forget to use Velvia and have it on Provia or something else that isn't quite what you intended.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Birudojin posted:

It's been said before, but I shoot RAW just so I can change the film mode after the fact. If you keep it, Fuji lets you change the film simulation, or edit the one you used, without ever leaving the camera interface. You can shoot once, generate a few variants and use those SOOC, which is really nice if you forget to use Velvia and have it on Provia or something else that isn't quite what you intended.
That's actually what I did. Processed the RAW in camera as Velvia, changed nothing else, and WiFi transferred to my phone to share.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It would be perfect if you could batch edit or covert multiple raws in camera. For one or a few photos it is fine as is but it is so much easier to throw them on the computer and do it that way.

In other news, I finally tried Capture One Pro after a few years of not trying it and am seeing much better results than Lightroom for Fuji. There are even film simulations available (that you have to download, not included like Lightroom). If I can figure out a way to be as quick with it as I am in Lightroom then I am definitely switching.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Google Butt posted:

So.. anyone interested in a lightly used Sony a7ii and FE55? :D

If the firmware is up to date so I can use the fancy new PDAF I might be!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

nice

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Not sure about other models but the XT-2 lets you bracket film simulations :science:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Not sure about other models but the XT-2 lets you bracket film simulations :science:
Yep the X-T1 has it as well. I didn't learn about it until the X-T2, and went back and checked the X-T1's manual. I don't think you can shoot in RAW+JPEG with film simulation bracketing though. To me it just makes more sense to shoot RAW+JPEG in the film mode you think you want and then you at least have the option to change it. Film simulation bracketing means you'd better hope you got it right with one of the three.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
XT-1 does also. I just wish it didn't require 3 simulations and let you shoot just two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Sorry but how do you film process the raw files? I have the xt2 and would love to know. Thanks.