Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

"I'd hate to have anything happen to that boy or that dog."

Yeah, or the adult woman who lives there. Man, this loving comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sundae posted:

Modesty Blaise is such a loving great comic. Why can't we have stuff like this in papers today?

Lazier writers, smaller panels, and an audience that doesn't really care.

Incidentally, I reread Modesty Blaise (the first novel in the series) last week and it still holds up pretty well. A couple of cringey "it was a different time" moments, but overall a good read.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Selachian posted:

Lazier writers, smaller panels, and an audience that doesn't really care.

Genuine question: were writers of these old, beautiful comics better compensated than comic writers are now? Was there a financial incentive to do better/put more effort into it?

Google tells me nothing on this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

And now we take a moment to reflect on the poor souls who only get Sunday Newspaper Spidey and this is all they will ever see of the events of last week.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (November, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (August, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Little known fact: "Monster" by Skillet was inspired by TDIET.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

Genuine question: were writers of these old, beautiful comics better compensated than comic writers are now? Was there a financial incentive to do better/put more effort into it?

Google tells me nothing on this.

Dunno. From what I've read, back in the day having a syndicated comic strip was where the money and prestige was for a cartoonist. (Comic books, on the other hand, were considered trash -- which is why, for instance, Bob Kane farmed out so much of his early Batman work to a platoon of assistants.)

Of course, the general decline in newspaper circulation has probably changed that. Still, guys like Jim Davis and Scott Adams are clearly not hurting for dough.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Yeah, that is pretty ambiguous.
Well, I suppose you could argue it's somewhat unclear if the note is asking for a stack of thousand dollar bills or a whole helluva lot of one dollar bills.

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

I really enjoy seeing these, so thanks for posting them. I knew of RPA but I can't say I followed it when it was around and it's nice seeing Thompson's non-CDS stuff, especially since it's not stuff I am so familiar with so it's like all new to me.
Air Force One is not at all like a castle in the sky you jackass.

F Minus

Mary Worth

As ridiculous as this premise is, I think it's a bit inappropriate to ask him to give up a worldwide tour just so they can continue to causally date.

Rex Morgan MD

I don't trust that yellow-toothed gentleman.

Jungle Jim

Not sure why that one panel is blank like that.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Selachian posted:

(Comic books, on the other hand, were considered trash -- which is why, for instance, Bob Kane farmed out so much of his early Batman work to a platoon of assistants.)

You're not wrong on the first point, but based on anecdotes about Bob Kane from his contemporaries I don't think that was his sole reason for using ghosts. He also outsourced the Batman comic strip and, according to Arnold Drake at least, some paintings of clowns he "made." Dude apparently did not like to work.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't think you can "get over" a serious painkiller addiction like you get over a cold

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

You're not wrong on the first point, but based on anecdotes about Bob Kane from his contemporaries I don't think that was his sole reason for using ghosts. He also outsourced the Batman comic strip and, according to Arnold Drake at least, some paintings of clowns he "made." Dude apparently did not like to work.

Bob Kane was a lovely, horrible person more than happy to bask in the fame and using "I'm the guy who draws Batman!" to flirt with waitresses.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Today's strip was written in BASIC.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Is this meant to be the missing CIA daughter-in-law? Because if so, that is a twist I approve of.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

WickedHate posted:

Bob Kane was a lovely, horrible person more than happy to bask in the fame and using "I'm the guy who draws Batman!" to flirt with waitresses.

Another thing to remember is that cartoonists having ghosts do some or all of the work was a common thing back then, with the creator only signing their name. Hank Ketcham, for example, assigned the Sunday "Dennis the Menace" strips to his assistants while he focused on the dailies. After "Peanuts" became a hit, though, it became normal for cartoonists to do most or all of the work on their strips themselves.

Of course, exceptions are still around. "Garfield" is nowadays the go-to example for a comic strip drawn exclusively by ghosts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Beeg posted:

Another thing to remember is that cartoonists having ghosts do some or all of the work was a common thing back then, with the creator only signing their name. Hank Ketcham, for example, assigned the Sunday "Dennis the Menace" strips to his assistants while he focused on the dailies. After "Peanuts" became a hit, though, it became normal for cartoonists to do most or all of the work on their strips themselves.

"Assistants do one day of the week" is a lot different than "one guy gets sole credit for 24 pages a month when he didn't do a single panel".

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

WickedHate posted:

"Assistants do one day of the week" is a lot different than "one guy gets sole credit for 24 pages a month when he didn't do a single panel".
Even with that in mind, Bob Kane wasn't the only one doing that. He was just the most obnoxious about it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

And lest we forget, while he was simultaneously not doing any work and taking credit for his ghosts' creations, he also stabbed creators who did do work (specifically Siegel & Shuster) in the back by warning DC bigwigs of an upcoming lawsuit attempt in order to negotiate a better contract for himself.

There is probably an ethical manner in which to go about conducting the business of outsourcing artwork but Bob Kane sure as gently caress wasn't doing it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Beeg posted:

Even with that in mind, Bob Kane wasn't the only one doing that. He was just the most obnoxious about it.

Well, that's the main thing I'm talking about. The point is, he went above and beyond on the matter and was happily willing to ring every drop of adoration and cash out of it when there was really no reason his name should appear on any of the poo poo bearing his name.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Jungle Jim

I can only imagine it's something so incredibly racist that even back then they were like, "no, we can't print this, redo it. What? We have to send this out right now? gently caress."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set kills time, brain cells.

Working Daze is a repeat, but wasn't funny the first time.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix was just feeling down for a minute but is better now.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen

Johnny Walker posted:

Jungle Jim

catlord posted:

I can only imagine it's something so incredibly racist that even back then they were like, "no, we can't print this, redo it. What? We have to send this out right now? gently caress."

As it turns out, it really wasn't anything. It could just be that the archive copy was damaged.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Heathcliff goes political today with a hard-hitting commentary about voter fraud.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Oh well, so much for that story.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

I can never tell if this guy's hat is supposed to be flying up in a cartoonish exaggeration or if it's just lovely drawing. Admittedly, it could be both.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ben

The Creeps

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Heavenly Nostrils

Henry

Kliban

The Lost Bear

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

Or maybe someone duplicated the experiment that gave her her powers in the first place.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Oh well, so much for that story.
Pretty sure the story's still ongoing.

Another Mary Worth crossover?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
All this talk about Bob Kane reminded me that he did have a stint drawing newspaper comics before "Batman" took off.

By all accounts, I think Kane was much better at cartoonier art style than the "realism" look. More information here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tiggum posted:

Or maybe someone duplicated the experiment that gave her her powers in the first place.

IIRC the people who have the know-how are currently frozen and suffocated inside a dead space coupe orbiting Jupiter

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But are they really, and didn't get hit with cosmic radiation that gave them superpowers in a bold attempt to tie the entire Marvel universe into the strip's setting?

igtenos55
Jun 14, 2001

Green Intern posted:

"I'd hate to have anything happen to that boy or that dog."

Yeah, or the adult woman who lives there. Man, this loving comic.

She doesn't live with Pat and Pinky though.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nooooooo

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

All this talk about Bob Kane reminded me that he did have a stint drawing newspaper comics before "Batman" took off.

Looks more than slightly inspired by Soglow's "The Little King."

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Changing the Subject

Wow, that was close, something dramatic almost happened! Better switch to talking about fish so the readers can catch their breath!

And between this and the volcano eruption, Jam really loves his overblown sound effects, doesn't he?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well if something happens then it wont be the edge of adventure. Title changes are hard

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

IIRC the people who have the know-how are currently frozen and suffocated inside a dead space coupe orbiting Jupiter
Someone else could easily have access to their research though. Or just have been conducting their own research in parallel.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
I don't know how old that girl's supposed to be, but I feel like the mother is being a real arsehole here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

electionday.jpg

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Changing the Subject

Wow, that was close, something dramatic almost happened! Better switch to talking about fish so the readers can catch their breath!

And between this and the volcano eruption, Jam really loves his overblown sound effects, doesn't he?
You know, the instant I saw the strip posted I thought to myself "he's going to mention the Amelia Erhart thing again, isn't he?"

God he's a bad writer.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, the instant I saw the strip posted I thought to myself "he's going to mention the Amelia Erhart thing again, isn't he?"

God he's a bad writer.

He makes up for it by being terrible at drawing as well

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know the joke is he doesn't want the dude to vote, but for people who don't get it, I hope they don't actually think voting is on Wednesday. Voter suppression is also pretty lovely :(

• Locked thread