Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Convergence doesn't mean they all become volatile. It's the opposite. They all stop assuming that a November surprise could happen, and so whatever forecasting they're doing gets mostly taken out of the equation because all the data that can be known from public polling about the election will be known.

Basically, as we get closer to the election the possibility space for swings gets smaller to the point where after they stop putting polls in on election day it's very close to zero.

So they probably won't swing very much unless the polls themselves swing a loving ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ErIog posted:

I feel like candidates with record-setting unfavorables and one candidate having no GOTV to speak of makes the "this election is an outlier" defense a pretty good one.

Nate only started using "well this election cycle is so different" during the primaries when, in defiance of all polls showing Trump ahead, he predicted that Rubio was the favorite long after he stood no chance of winning the GOP nom. Prior to that he was utterly confident of his "party decides" mantra to the point of snarkiness. Now in defiance of all polls showing Clinton ahead of even the margins Obama needed to decisively win re-election in 2012, his model is hyping up the possibility of a Trump win. I don't think it's impossible, but it should give anybody who has followed 538 over the past three election cycles pause.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they've basically already converged

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ErIog posted:

Convergence doesn't mean they all become volatile. It's the opposite. They all stop assuming that a November surprise could happen, and so whatever forecasting they're doing gets mostly taken out of the equation because all the data that can be known from public polling about the election will be known.

Wouldn't the lack of forecasting mean they're more likely to swing in whichever direction the polls do? The now-cast is the one that has always assumed there's no time left, which is why it's been the most reactive one.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Now in defiance of all polls showing Clinton ahead of even the margins Obama needed to decisively win re-election in 2012, his model is hyping up the possibility of a Trump win. I don't think it's impossible, but it should give anybody who has followed 538 over the past three election cycles pause.

It seems pretty reasonable to me. Seems like he got lucky with an okay model in 2008. 2012 was pretty average as far as elections go. Republican wave in 2010 was a little crazy, 2014 was pretty average. 2016 is the first time it's really come up against a big challenge.

I guess I've never considered Silver to be the complete amazing genius that I guess a lot of other people considered him to be. So his model's performance this cycle has struck me as completely expected. So it's hard for me to understand why people are having such an off the loving wall reaction to the ESPN data journalism's take on the US election.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Like I'm pretty sure if you knew nothing about the favorables/unfavorables of the candidates and wiped their names from the electoral map, it would look like a pretty much Generic R vs. D ballot with some electoral realignment among college-educated + non-college educated whites and women.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Like I'm pretty sure if you knew nothing about the favorables/unfavorables of the candidates and wiped their names from the electoral map, it would look like a pretty much Generic R vs. D ballot with some electoral realignment among college-educated + non-college educated whites and women.

I 100% agree with this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Trump is doing a lot better in the rust belt than a generic R, and a lost worse elsewhere (the South, Arizona, and other random states). Racial demographics are more important than ever for this election.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wouldn't the lack of forecasting mean they're more likely to swing in whichever direction the polls do? The now-cast is the one that has always assumed there's no time left, which is why it's been the most reactive one.

It depends on the specific model, but when you stop accounting for time left you also remove acceleration from the equation. So if Hillary is up 2 points more in the aggregate tomorrow than she was yesterday, they're not going to assume that upward swing will continue on Wednesday because the election already happened.

That's what makes some of the models very volatile when the candidates are within MoE or slightly outside the MoE in favour of the other candidate that was out of favor. They have a tendency to assume the race is swinging when it might not be.

They're not going to do that on election day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump is doing a lot better in the rust belt than a generic R, and a lost worse elsewhere (the South, Arizona, and other random states). Racial demographics are more important than ever for this election.

I think it's certainly important for understanding the makeup of the electorate and why the red/blue lean of certain states have shifted in this cycle, but these are variables you can adjust for, and Nate's defense of "nobody could have foreseen this" is a little weak when we have an array of surveys showing Trump's unfavorables among Latino voters compared to Clinton with non-college educated whites. Compare the utter confidence he had in his language from the beginning of the primaries to now and it's even more stark.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Given most of these models are placing Clinton's Median EVs at 310 +/- 15, isn't the real difference between their win probabilities drive by their assumptions about uncertainty?

You've got very low uncertainty (Huff Po and PEC) at 99%, Linzen, Upshot and others in the 80s and Nate at 70ish.

Given the median is similar seems like the big difference is expected variance in results?

Or have I forgotten my statistics.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Uncertain models regress to 50/50, so yeah

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ErIog posted:

The problem with Nate's model isn't anything to do with whether or not he uses a trend line adjustment or anything else in that stupid HuffPo article.

The key mistake Silver made that everything else stems from is that he assumes more data is better than less data even if the data is of dubious quality. He makes the assumption that polls with poor methodology can somehow be accounted for and averaged out. In the past when there were more polls and overall quality was better he was correct. The nature of the polls this cycle is very different, though.

He also should understand that more can be wrong with a poll than just lean. He assumes that data can be derived from changes in polls even if those polls have poor methodology as long as the poor methodology is consistent.

He assumes you can derive good conclusions from poor measurements. He's wrong and I think next cycle he becomes more choosy about which polls he chooses to include in the model.

Pretty much.

He is becoming too dogmatic about data / empiricism and almost deathly afraid to actually use his judgment.

And the idea that *any* poll tells you *something* is ... weird.

Pedro De Heredia has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Nov 7, 2016

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795449708479217664

this is probably the most important tweet hes made on his model the last few days. If his goal is to reflect public polls, well okay, his model is great at that. I'm not sure why that is the goal, rather than using public polls as part of the data driven way to forecast actual election results. But if he is just trying to create a model of what public polls say rather than what will happen on on election day, he is doing a good job at that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the one thing i'll say in nate's defense is its not good practice to adjust the model midway through, but he should definitely be rethinking it in the off-season (not that he will as he'll be shitcanned on wednesday by espn)

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795611533086691328

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the one thing i'll say in nate's defense is its not good practice to adjust the model midway through, but he should definitely be rethinking it in the off-season (not that he will as he'll be shitcanned on wednesday by espn)

You don't think ESPN is going to drive traffic with the CARMELO ratings?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

evilweasel posted:

If ESPN fired their analysts for being wrong, none of them would have job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Charlz Guybon posted:

If ESPN fired their analysts for being wrong, none of them would have job.

he won't be fired for being wrong, he'll be fired for being expensive and not worth it in the least because espn is in cost-cutting mode, the site is garbage for everything but politics and not very good at politics these days

he knows it and it's ratcheting up the stress to 11

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'd assumed the main "problem" with Nate's model was that he's assuming very large uncertainties on the polling results on the principle that modern polls are garbage. This is sort of equivalent to saying that the model prediction is being distorted by garbage polls, although the extremely wide distribution for Clinton's predicted electoral votes is best explained by large estimated uncertainties in poll results. It's possible Nate will be vindicated to some extent after the election, as it's looking like hispanic turnout is much higher than expected in several states (which is another way of saying common turnout models are garbage and he was right to assume very large uncertainties). Does anyone know what uncertainty Nate's been assuming for national polling average? I've read ~5.5% (which is huge) but nothing from 538 itself.

Taking into account correlations between state results is pretty defensible imo, if anything models that don't include that are missing an important feature.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

evilweasel posted:

he won't be fired for being wrong, he'll be fired for being expensive and not worth it in the least because espn is in cost-cutting mode, the site is garbage for everything but politics and not very good at politics these days

I really like their sports coverage. :saddowns:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nocturtle posted:

I'd assumed the main "problem" with Nate's model was that he's assuming very large uncertainties on the polling results on the principle that modern polls are garbage. This is sort of equivalent to saying that the model prediction is being distorted by garbage polls, although the extremely wide distribution for Clinton's predicted electoral votes is best explained by large estimated uncertainties in poll results. It's possible Nate will be vindicated to some extent after the election, as it's looking like hispanic turnout is much higher than expected in several states (which is another way of saying common turnout models are garbage and he was right to assume very large uncertainties). Does anyone know what uncertainty Nate's been assuming for national polling average? I've read ~5.5% (which is huge) but nothing from 538 itself.

Taking into account correlations between state results is pretty defensible imo, if anything models that don't include that are missing an important feature.

he clearly didn't think hard enough about minimum criteria for a poll to get in, because if he had a 73 person google surveys poll would not have made the cut

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795449708479217664

this is probably the most important tweet hes made on his model the last few days. If his goal is to reflect public polls, well okay, his model is great at that. I'm not sure why that is the goal, rather than using public polls as part of the data driven way to forecast actual election results. But if he is just trying to create a model of what public polls say rather than what will happen on on election day, he is doing a good job at that.

I might not be reading his tweet correctly, but if he's saying his model is just an aggregator, that's totally disingenuous. Listen to the way they speak about the model on a 538 podcast. It's not supposed to be predictive? Really? They're talking about it like it's a scoreboard at a basketball game.

Nate Silver, who made his career predicting the value of baseball players? http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25465

That Nate Silver? The guy who wrote a book about forecasting? He's not forecasting now? He's just an aggregator?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lager posted:

Oh, what's up fellow Bloomington-Normal goon?

The Rock is definitely the best around here, but Uncle Nick's is the only reason to ever go to Rockford. It's worth it to check that place out if you're ever anywhere near that shithole of a town.

http://www.seeyounextgyros.com/welcome.html

uncle Nick's and the bagel place are the only good things about Rockford and it makes me happy any time I see someone recognise them

man growing up in that region sucked and I can't believe my high school friends went and got degrees then went back to Rockford for eternity

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

how expensive could 538 be honestly? I bet nobody under the top five make more than 35k

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

he clearly didn't think hard enough about minimum criteria for a poll to get in, because if he had a 73 person google surveys poll would not have made the cut

Presumably Nate see's his "added value" as the ability to construct predictive models that can take into account all available polling data, along with realistic data-driven estimates of polling uncertainties. If you're just going to look at the most reputable polls and cut everything else then you don't need to do that much analysis, and can't justify paying a hotshot polling "genius".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

how expensive could 538 be honestly? I bet nobody under the top five make more than 35k

they hired him away from NYT so I assume "fivethirtyeight" as an org has a hefty contract, most of which goes to nate

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ErIog posted:

That's why his "lackeys" in 538's editorial content say that Clinton is more likely to win than what the model projects. The number of dog poo poo polls being thrown into the model and new Hispanic voters being tossed out by most LV screens is something they constantly talk about.

The problem with Nate's model isn't anything to do with whether or not he uses a trend line adjustment or anything else in that stupid HuffPo article.

The key mistake Silver made that everything else stems from is that he assumes more data is better than less data even if the data is of dubious quality. He makes the assumption that polls with poor methodology can somehow be accounted for and averaged out. In the past when there were more polls and overall quality was better he was correct. The nature of the polls this cycle is very different, though.

He also should understand that more can be wrong with a poll than just lean. He assumes that data can be derived from changes in polls even if those polls have poor methodology as long as the poor methodology is consistent.

He assumes you can derive good conclusions from poor measurements. He's wrong and I think next cycle he becomes more choosy about which polls he chooses to include in the model.

It seems like he probably makes this assumption because he comes from the sports world. In sports you don't usually have problems with measurement like this. The stats are the stats and the leagues keep track of them. You can trust the measurements. There are very minor issues with stuff like balls versus strikes, but those can in fact be averaged out since umpires are highly trained and most often not acting in bad faith.

Pollsters are not like umpires or referees.

Actually, the biggest problem is the trend adjustment. It is certainly responsible for the biggest difference between Nate and others. When the race was stable at Hillary +6, his model gave her 88% chance while Linzer was 95%. If you don't trust me, go see his state by state thing by yourself. "Trend line adjustment" is responsible for a full 1.7% difference in estimated share of the vote in Florida. If you took away all the bad polls in his model, it would still not get the same impact on win probability as a 1.7% swing in aggregate numbers. His trend line adjustment is single handedly responsible for a 1.6 or 1.7 % swing in the vote in Trump's direction in every key swing state.

Even the example that I used before: yes, including a 74 person sample poll from google messes up their Delaware predictions. But bigger than that one data point, the real difference is that their trend line adjustment gives Trump +1.5% over just poll aggregates.

You can go down the list. The difference between pollster.com (which does filter out bad polls and which is what PEC uses) is most of the time just the trendline adjustment.

Nate expects 48.1% to 48.1% share to the vote in Florida. Pollster gives Hillary a 1.7% edge there. Size of trendline adjustment that Nate uses? +1.4% for Trump, -0.3% for HIllary.
Nate expects 48.1% Hillary, 48.1% Trump in NC. Pollster gives Clinton a 1.9% edge. Trendline adjustment: +1.3 for Trump, -0.3% for Hillary.
Nevada, Nate expects 46.9% Hillary to 46.6% Trump. Pollster gives Clinton 2.1% edge. Trendline adjustment gives Trump 1.4% and Hillary -.3%.

The inclusion of bad polls is bullshit, but that would be responsible for a couple of decimal points difference in most of the cases. Don't trust me, check for yourself.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

they hired him away from NYT so I assume "fivethirtyeight" as an org has a hefty contract, most of which goes to nate

So even if ESPN cuts it entirely, seems like 538 would just spin off doing it's own thing again at the least. They have way too much of a brand name built up now for it to just disappear. They'll be around next election, just with different people and not under ESPN's wing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the inclusion of bad polls hurts the uncertainty more than the raw vote number, it's driving towards 50/50, not towards trump

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

paternity suitor posted:

I might not be reading his tweet correctly, but if he's saying his model is just an aggregator, that's totally disingenuous. Listen to the way they speak about the model on a 538 podcast. It's not supposed to be predictive? Really? They're talking about it like it's a scoreboard at a basketball game.

Nate Silver, who made his career predicting the value of baseball players? http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25465

That Nate Silver? The guy who wrote a book about forecasting? He's not forecasting now? He's just an aggregator?

Right. If he wants to claim his entire role is just to try to figure out what the average of all available public polls is, okay. That isn't how he frames his site at all. And it isn't really a great way to try to forecast an election or likelihood of outcomes.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

They've basically been reduced to hit-and-run data dumps with little no to analysis, especially on twitter. They've gone from feeling confident to just arrogant.

Then, if they get pestered enough, they offer these half-responses to even the most milquetoast criticism or request for clarification around the conclusions they're drawing.

No intention of continuing to follow 538 and its people after tomorrow.

Grey Fox has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Nov 7, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

Right. If he wants to claim his entire role is just to try to figure out what the average of all available public polls is, okay. That isn't how he frames his site at all. And it isn't really a great way to try to forecast an election or likelihood of outcomes.

It's really hard for Silver to walk himself back on this now seeing as he wrote an entire book about how everything can be predicted by an accurate enough linear regression model and the mathematical soothsayers who can discern the signal from the noise.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nate silver is actively reinforcing the rigged narrative and the further away his model is from hrc's actual numbers (double digits, btw) the more likely there will be violence post-election

hrc's actual numbers are not double digit

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

wow, seems like the nyt dodged a bullet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

rudatron posted:

wow, seems like the nyt dodged a bullet

Silver was a much better fit at NYT when he could just update once every couple days and wasn't prodded by the constant pressure to produce more clickbait content.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
he probably bought into the libertarian-nerd fantasy of owning your own business and eventually becoming a millionaire, without realizing that being a statistician doesn't make you a good manager, and if any media organization has good managers, it'd have to be the nyt

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

mastershakeman posted:

uncle Nick's and the bagel place are the only good things about Rockford and it makes me happy any time I see someone recognise them

man growing up in that region sucked and I can't believe my high school friends went and got degrees then went back to Rockford for eternity

That's hilarious, I actually used to work at the bagel place back in the early 2000s. I can't imagine wanting to go back there after getting away for college. Glad to hear you made it out, though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

the inclusion of bad polls hurts the uncertainty more than the raw vote number, it's driving towards 50/50, not towards trump

No, it doesn't. Uncertainty created by bad polls is bad, but relatively small. A 1.6 to 1.7% swing towards Trump in every single swing state has a huge impact on overall probability of win. Nate actually shows his 80% confidence intervals for each state in his "who's ahead in each state and by how much." Having shorter tails would affect his model less than removing the trendline adjustment and moving all swing state results 1.6 to 1.7% to the left. When his model was giving Hillary a 1.7% expected edge in Florida, he gave her a 61% chance. That is certainly underconfident, but if right now his model gave out similar probabilities for Hillary in Florida, NC and Nevada, he likely would have Hillary's chance of winning at over 75%. As Sam Wang posted today, the only way his model can get close to Nate's level of uncertainty is if he assumed a+/-5% average polling error, which I don't think even Nate thinks is reasonable.

So uncertainty in Nate's model is certainly a problem. But nowhere near as big as his trendline adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Can we get the United States Geological Survey to monitor the 538 offices for the next 48 hours? I need to see how bad the shaking gets.

• Locked thread