Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do Rock Lobbers and Doom Divers count as Goblin units for the purposes of Skarsnik's upkeep reduction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Dongattack posted:

Maybe Beastmen if they also get the achievement you are after? Extremely good survivability on the strategic map and the main lord guy (One-Eye something) + a melee hero would decimate every field battle we went into by literally bullrushing the enemy lord and killing him in seconds.

The early game is a big hurdle tho, pretty weak then.

I can confirm Beastmen get the Legendary achievement, my play through with them had Mousillon go nuts settling all the ruins I left behind and after a certain point I found it easier to just kneecap a faction as the ever-expanding undead juggernaut came marching in.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Best way to kill off your own lord for 'let my Beastmen LL take his army back over after recovering from a BS assassination'?

Rushing him into the enemy alone just resulted in him running away. Right now I'm thinking Cygor targeting his location.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

Best way to kill off your own lord for 'let my Beastmen LL take his army back over after recovering from a BS assassination'?

Rushing him into the enemy alone just resulted in him running away. Right now I'm thinking Cygor targeting his location.
Can't you just replace him? Go to the lord's stat screen and look for the boot icon in the lower right. Should let you replace him.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

You can just go to the general and click the boot/replace commander button and put your original LL in there that way. Think it's in the character details page of the leader you want replaced.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Deified Data posted:

Do Rock Lobbers and Doom Divers count as Goblin units for the purposes of Skarsnik's upkeep reduction?

I do not believe so, no. Neither do Forest Goblin units.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ravenfood posted:

Can't you just replace him? Go to the lord's stat screen and look for the boot icon in the lower right. Should let you replace him.

Trujillo posted:

You can just go to the general and click the boot/replace commander button and put your original LL in there that way. Think it's in the character details page of the leader you want replaced.

I'm not sure my internet reputation will ever recover from looking this dumb.

Thanks!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

brocretin posted:

I do not believe so, no. Neither do Forest Goblin units.
This part really bummed me out because they're sick as hell but I'm naturally an absolute cheapskate and I just can't justify training them when I've got a sweet 40% discount on other trash.

fnordcircle posted:

I'm not sure my internet reputation will ever recover from looking this dumb.

Thanks!
Don't worry this entire series is full of little things that I'm still finding out that made previously aggravating tasks stupidly easy.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 7, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should Beastmen immediately found a second guide, like Chaos?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Lone Badger posted:

Should Beastmen immediately found a second guide, like Chaos?

Beastmen start with two hordes, and honestly that's enough. Focus on using the first horde fully, with the second on raiding/backup duty

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do you guys play the Dwarven early game? It seems like if I try to expand a little that the greenskins end up raiding my poo poo

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
After getting the main province locked down I like to go for the province(s) north of the main dwarf one since they're only a couple underway moves away. Then I can expand south and southwest.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do you guys play the Dwarven early game? It seems like if I try to expand a little that the greenskins end up raiding my poo poo

Building walls in every settlement that you can helps at the expense of economy. Fewer armies, but you can be more mobile with the army you have.

I've found that one of the biggest deciding factors early on is the amount of casualties you take in your first few battles. If half your force dies in the initial battle to take back the Pillars, the AI usually makes a beeline for the Silver Road as it sees your faction as the weakest of it's enemies. If not, then it's a little chanicer but Grimgor may focus on Karak Azul or the Red Fangs, while the Scabby Eye targets Barak Varr and the Crooked Moon Mutinous Gits either declare war on Karak Azul or send a stack towards Belegar. This will usually leave you with a bit of time to try and go north to grab those income rich provinces before Zhufbar or Karak Kadrin grab them, as well as to ingratiate yourself to your more valuable northern neighbors for potential confederation.

Alternatively, if you take out all of the Bloody Spearz stacks so they need to make a fresh army to the north, go south and take the Black Crag province to cripple Grimgor's economy. This will give Barak Varr and Karak Azul a decent chance to expand at the expense of the other, less powerful tribes, assuming the AI doesn't royally gently caress up. Don't autoresolve if you feel you can mitigate casualties, that's a big factor in keeping up momentum and keeping the AI focused on other targets. I don't find that there's that much value in going west early unless the Crooked Moon break out of the gate early.

A lot of the dwarf campaign in my opinion is choosing what Dwarf AI factions get boned. Go south and Zhufbar will probably be destroyed by the Spearz or the Vampires. Go north and Karak Azul is Grimgor's punching bag. Belegar usually does well against the Broken Nose but Karak Norn is usually stomped by Skarsnik. Karak Ziflin usually makes it unless they get pissy at the Bretonnians. Kraka Drak is usually rubble by turn 21 unless a miracle happens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I've spent a bunch of campaigns trying to go for Mount Gunbad early and it always goes awry for me because Grimgor can seemingly smell when you leave. I usually just bumrush Black Crag by turn 15 or so after expanding my starting stack a bit and building a baby garrison support stack(5-6 units meant to bulk up the garrison of a town that is being hit) to stop enemies from sniping the other two Silver Road cities. Assuming you don't run into a full stack alongside it, the garrison is pretty easy to manage(blow up a tower or two with grudgethrowers and then sweep the biguns off the walls with quarrelers before sending in your warriors) and it provides a fortified expansion base for you to conquer the badlands.

Make sure you bumrush the tech that improves diplomatic relations with other factions. It will make you pretty easy best friends with virtually every dwarf faction in the game, which will serve as a protective cocoon around your flanks while you focus on ruining the Greenskins' poo poo.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I heard that Skarsnik's poison army buff overwrites the armor piercing that nasty skulkers have. Is this true? Should I avoid that lord upgrade for Skarsnik?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Afriscipio posted:

I heard that Skarsnik's poison army buff overwrites the armor piercing that nasty skulkers have. Is this true? Should I avoid that lord upgrade for Skarsnik?

Not noticed this at all, though someone did mentioned that the Sunder Armour ability that some ROR units have does seem to get overwritten as well and that i have noticed.

Another thing, has anyone else noticed that Nasty Skulkers are not affected by the "Savages" redline skill? Its supposed to give them 12% more melee damage, but they still sit on their basic damage :/

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Afriscipio posted:

Yeah it doesn't affect armour piercing, it does overwrite sunder armour and the special accuracy debuff from Hammer of Gork though I think.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

Not noticed this at all, though someone did mentioned that the Sunder Armour ability that some ROR units have does seem to get overwritten as well and that i have noticed.

Another thing, has anyone else noticed that Nasty Skulkers are not affected by the "Savages" redline skill? Its supposed to give them 12% more melee damage, but they still sit on their basic damage :/

:sigh:

I really hope this is a bug. I've been maining these guys in most of my armies but didn't think to check if they were being upgraded or not. Skarsnik's bonuses are less impressive if all they apply to are normal goblins and archers (and night goblins too I guess).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do I get mods for steam? I'm a big dumb baby who can't figure it out. I want the good ones.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

How do I get mods for steam? I'm a big dumb baby who can't figure it out. I want the good ones.

Go to TW:W's steam workshop page and just subscribe to what you want, it's painless. You can check what mods you're subscribed to and delete them from the mod menu on the launcher.

What are you looking to mod exactly?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Level four settlements and maybe something else. The camera sucks so maybe that,

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Early game for the Dwarves I always push south. I've played them a ton and almost never have an enemy attack the Silver Road from the north while the south is basically nothing but greenskins who want nothing more than to raid your poo poo and cause grudges.

I've had the best experience with razing the two minor settlements in Death Pass so you don't have stacks generating from them and then rushing for Black Rock as soon as you have a full stack of your own with artillery support. If you have a few Grudge Throwers to knock out a tower and a bunch of quarellers you can kill a shitload of orks as they sit on the walls and then just march in with the warriors and clear the rest of them out. Once you hold Black Rock I find that most of the stacks coming from the south will focus on it, giving you time to open up some breathing space to the west.

I like to keep Barak Varr around for as long as possible so that I can focus on the mountainous regions which are much easier to hold and will give you the income to support multiple stacks. From that point on it's a simple matter of hitting the badlands proper with a pincer attack from the north and south after which you're able to swarm north and start killing chaos/finishing victory conditions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Better Camera Mod

Tier 4 Minor Settlements

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Dorfs, when should I head into the Badlands? I've snatched up the province below the Silver Road (Zufbar took the north before I got to it) but I need to lock it down with walls before I march out again. I recently restarted after getting stonewalled for 50 turns by the Grimgor and Wurrzag double trouble and don't want it to happen again.

E: I`m around turn 20 with two half-stacks of mostly warriors and quarrelers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've found the "AI armies take full attrition damage" mod to be pretty great, except for when my allies find themselves settlement-less and their army wanders aimlessly until it's dead.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is causing some RoR to sometimes become unrecruitable after they get killed/disbanded? I lost the ghouls, zombies and black knights in a fight and could only re-hire the zombies. Later on I lost the skeletons but I could grab them again immediately after too.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Asehujiko posted:

What is causing some RoR to sometimes become unrecruitable after they get killed/disbanded? I lost the ghouls, zombies and black knights in a fight and could only re-hire the zombies. Later on I lost the skeletons but I could grab them again immediately after too.

They function like mercenaries in previous games. If you lose them, it'll take a semi-random number of turns for them to show up again, modified (somehow) by their price/quality. So just wait, they'll be back in a few turns.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
If you disband RoR you never get to recruit them again. So you're better off putting them into a suicide army or something than disbanding them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

If you disband RoR you never get to recruit them again. So you're better off putting them into a suicide army or something than disbanding them.

wrong

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Are music mods impossible like model imports for Total Warhammer?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
After playing through the Clan Angrund campaign it feels so great to start up a new one as good old Vlad and go to town on everything, dude is insane.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fnordcircle posted:

IIRC if you disband them they take a couple of turns to refresh and show up again, kind of like loosing a Legendary Lord.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

False. I use RoR, with a couple of exceptions, as a rapid-response group. Have a lord just chilling, see a doomstack coming, and recruit RoRs enough to be able to repulse the stack with garrison support. Then I disband them and do it again later.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Noir89 posted:

After playing through the Clan Angrund campaign it feels so great to start up a new one as good old Vlad and go to town on everything, dude is insane.

How do you spec him?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC if you disband them they take a couple of turns to refresh and show up again, kind of like loosing a Legendary Lord.

My bad. I disbanded them, didn't see them up for recruitment googled and trusted the CA forums.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It seems like the higher level the RoR unlocks at the longer they take to come back. Had the Arachnarok spider queen take what felt like ~10-15 turns to come back after disbanding.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm thinking of running parralel 1v1 and 2v2 tournies under these rules:

1v1 tourny
round robin style
unit size, funds: large
no dragging out the match for a draw
min 25% core, max 25% characters, no potions, max one regiment of renown per army
maps TBD

2v2 tourny
bracket style with loser bracket
min 25% core, max 25% characters, no potions, max one regiment of renown per army
maps TBD

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mukip posted:

1v1 tourny
round robin style
maps TBD

2v2 tourny
maps TBD

Sounds good, how will the teams of 2 be matched up, rotated, picked or randomized?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
What are people doing to get the most out of this game, graphics-wise? I have a top of the line card and I'm set to ultra and the correct resolution, but my game looks more muddied/pixelated than a lot of these gorgeous screenshots I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Mukip posted:

1v1 tourny
round robin style
maps TBD

2v2 tourny
maps TBD

I like the max one RoR. Makes for interesting choices that outright banning them would preclude.

• Locked thread