Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Video didn't feature the player constantly side-rolling everywhere, not sure it can be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saoshyant posted:

Gex did nothing wrong.

Anyway, I forgot to post about this DF Retro video, but it's about Crusader No Remorse / No Regret and it also goes over Origin's history. Pretty good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o79KmttkWk

Dang, I didn't realize there was going to be a PSP Crusader game. It looked like it was going to capture the feel of the old games too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Dang, I didn't realize there was going to be a PSP Crusader game. It looked like it was going to capture the feel of the old games too.

Tangentially related, the PSP version of Killzone is a top down isometric tactical shooter. I'm sure there's no direct DNA but it's an interesting look at what could've been if EA had done the same.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Tangentially related, the PSP version of Killzone is a top down isometric tactical shooter. I'm sure there's no direct DNA but it's an interesting look at what could've been if EA had done the same.

Derailing a bit more but Killzone PSP was a good implementation of the FPS Killzone gameplay. I could definitely see Crusader being done that way.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Commander Keenan posted:

What I would give for a documentary or book of Origin Systems...

The closest we'll probably get for now is The Digital Antiquarian, who has a bunch of fairly extensive articles about Origin and their games (mainly Ultima), among many others from that era.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

There are some new titles in gog connect. I don't know why they don't advertise it properly.

I really hate these sales where you have to buy everything in a bundle to get the highest discount. It leads to me not buying anything.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Victor Vran code up for grabs:

53K71AA38E1FB906A3

Let me know if you have claimed it, cheers!

And it's gone, enjoy!

Dreamerdeceiver52 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 7, 2016

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Victor Vran code up for grabs:

I grabbed it, thank you!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eulisker posted:

There are some new titles in gog connect. I don't know why they don't advertise it properly.

I really hate these sales where you have to buy everything in a bundle to get the highest discount. It leads to me not buying anything.

I like it when they do that for very inexpensive games, but the rest of the time it's just a money sink. I was finally going to buy Turok for $9.99, but I would have to buy more than $20 worth of other games I don't want to get that, so bollocks to it.

On the other hand, I just got Frozen Synapse and Starbound free via GOG connect, so that was nice. Has anyone else received any new Connect games recently?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Eulisker posted:

Logged into Galaxy last night and got a pop-up telling me that new games were in Connect, so they're slowly improving.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have keys for Expedition and Dex if anyone fancies them.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Ooh I'd love Dex please

e: Thanks so much! I haven't bought anything this sale to get close to the XP for Dex, but its been on my radar since I heard it had a few similarities to Deus Ex :woot:

dud root fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 13, 2016

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd love Expeditions if it's still available! Thanks!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you for Expeditions! I'm looking forward to playing this

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

After this last sale, I tallied up my GOG purchases. Christ, I had no idea I'd spent this much on video games through GOG. I assume I'm one of their "whales," in part because I have not spent anywhere near this much on Steam games (which I'd say I average around $10-$30 total a year).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

After this last sale, I tallied up my GOG purchases. Christ, I had no idea I'd spent this much on video games through GOG. I assume I'm one of their "whales," in part because I have not spent anywhere near this much on Steam games (which I'd say I average around $10-$30 total a year).

it's people like you who support DRM free games with good technical support and keep the dream alive for the rest of us

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

I've assuredly spent several times what you have since 2008, just on GOG without including Steam, console purchases (hardware and software) etc. Spending $715 in 8+ years is hardly anything to be ashamed of.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon has a feature that will let you download a CSV file with every purchase you've ever made. Most people's history would probably blow $750 out of the water.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
~$10 dollars/month is a great price for a hobby.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

25 cents per day, on average, for 240 games.

Sounds good to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I made my first GOG purchase back on 1 September 2011, which is probably quite recent compared to most of those in this thread. It was nothing but free games and I didn't actually spend any money until March of 2012. I'm frankly afraid to add up my purchases simply because I'm sure that the number would make me hate myself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

and I don't regret a single purchase

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Good for you man, Steam loving sucks now, we're never getting HL3 so gently caress valve

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Does Gog Galaxy now run 100% of the catalog? I know some of you were tracking that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I feel you. "I played this to death 15 years ago, I should own it on Gog as well! Maybe I won't play it again but surely I will peruse all the extras" (to be fair, I listen to the King of Dragon Pass soundtrack all the time).

I'm pretty good at finishing new (to me) stuff I buy, though, and not buying loads of games on impulse during sales.

Speaking of which, I started Fallout Tactics recently. It's pretty cool, Fallout combat on bigger, relatively high resolution maps. I wonder if there are any good tactics for flushing out enemies though? A lot of encounters inside buildings consist of one of my people stepping inside and eating a burst of machine gun fire at point blank range, from an enemy standing next to the entrance. Thanks to the overwatch ability I need to send someone in, get them shot up, and then send one or two others in to actually finish off whoever is inside. The tutorial had a mission where you used one of your guys as bait to lure enemies into the line of fire of another guy. But ranged enemies are content to camp anywhere outside your visual range.

Also, I rescued two civilians on the last mission, and both were scripted to attempt escape through the heavily guarded main entrance, instead of the side entrance I had cleared and used to infiltrate the base. :downs:

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
If it helps with virtual lan games with crappy graphics, Game Ranger is super easy to get up and running. Even my not techsavy friends were able to install it and get into games of Nox and SWBF2.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

elf help book posted:

Does Gog Galaxy now run 100% of the catalog? I know some of you were tracking that.

Last time I checked my library, Galaxy still said "coming soon" on SiN

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Hollenhammer posted:

Last time I checked my library, Galaxy still said "coming soon" on SiN

About four or five of my 1100+ games aren't supported through Galaxy yet. At this point, might as well run Galaxy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keenan posted:

About four or five of my 1100+ games aren't supported through Galaxy yet. At this point, might as well run Galaxy.

I was about to post almost exactly this. I have about the same number of games as Keenan and there are a handful that are still marked red. It annoys my OCD, but for all practical purposes it's a trifle.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

pro reviews right here

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Speaking of which, I started Fallout Tactics recently. It's pretty cool, Fallout combat on bigger, relatively high resolution maps.

Everybody thinks this at first...

Sometimes you can trigger enemies with long-range shots but often you do need to have someone as bait, especially early on. Some other tips: Get at least one person to max out stealth so you can scout. Start specializing somebody in Heavy Weapons & Energy Weapons well in advance. Light weapons gets to be useless aside from a sniper, so don't train up too high in it. Also conserve your good ammo (.50 cal in midgame, EMP shotgun shells later). Consult a walkthrough to find out where you can find power armor (you can return to get it on some maps, so if this feels like cheating, do it after the main mission is done).

e:Also, if you want civvies to survive: Save, check their exit path, and then don't trigger them until you clear it (most of the time this doesn't change anything, however -- in some cases they are supposed to die, because if you kill the enemies in their way they will stop at one point and never leave the map).

As for GoG:
I've been using tags to sort my list of games -- all the ones that I bought for nostalgia's sake or because they were free I give a low-priority tag so they end up at the very back of the catalog and I never have to look at them. One thing I noticed when recently looking down my list is that the money spent is in no way correlated to the enjoyment of a particular game, but it seems to have averaged out.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 18, 2016

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a key for Little Big Planet 2 for anyone who missed it when it was free:

A28AA-8A273-B9FE4-E3CBE

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Breadallelogram posted:

Here's a key for Little Big Planet 2 for anyone who missed it when it was free:

A28AA-8A273-B9FE4-E3CBE

Missed out on this, thanks a bunch

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Black Friday sale is up until the 27th.

Limbo and Inside are now on GOG, with Limbo 80% off and Outside 25% off.

Limbo is also on GOG Connect for the rest of 2016, if you already have it on Steam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

The Black Friday sale is up until the 27th.

Limbo and Inside are now on GOG, with Limbo 80% off and Outside 25% off.

Limbo is also on GOG Connect for the rest of 2016, if you already have it on Steam.

Please, GoG, no. My wallet is an innocent soul, stop hurting it :negative:.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, Terminal Velocity is on GOG? I played the crap out of the shareware version when I was a kid.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh man that was a great game. What was the sequel or at least very similar game? Fury^3 or something? Something like that seems like something that should and could be ported to VR for maximum :barf:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fury3 wasn't a sequel, but it was made by the same company as a sort of tech demo for Microsoft to show off with Win95. Hellbender was the sequel to Fury3.

Sadly it doesn't seem like GOG has any Microsoft back catalog games, so I doubt we'll see either of them any time soon.

I really want Zoo Tycoon on GOG :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't think I ever played Hellbender. I remember blazing through the other 2 on an old 100mhz pentium poo poo like around 97-98? Might be a little skewed on my timeline but yeah I'm injecting pure nostalgia right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Fury3 wasn't a sequel, but it was made by the same company as a sort of tech demo for Microsoft to show off with Win95. Hellbender was the sequel to Fury3.

Sadly it doesn't seem like GOG has any Microsoft back catalog games, so I doubt we'll see either of them any time soon.

I really want Zoo Tycoon on GOG :(

Fury3 is a 16bit game, or at least the installer is.

Where Terminal Velocity was in DOS and Windows (The re-release runs with DOSBOX), Fury3 was as you say their tech demo for the power of Windows.
I expect it will run in a VM but without Microsoft recompiling the game I can't imagine they can re-release it in the current state