Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Yea Teddy got POTG so he's not just a sad sack anymore. Union should have pulled a genji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

RocketSurgery posted:

you are right to question this because it doesnt make any sense and is bad writing

Yeah, that entire scene jolted me out of the show, it was hard to accept they would go along with it. I guess the best way to look at is that they're in uncharted waters and they don't really have another option but to do what they did. She already proved that resetting her didn't work, and they probably couldn't get her shut down/de-commissioned without revealing what they did.

As for two timeline theory (which I totes accept), where would Dolores be in the present? She's encountered the Man in Black on the farm already but after that I can't recall if they showed her interacting with anyne else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

MarksMan posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this laser link? Have I somehow forgotten some kind of major plot line?

Yeah. Discount Ellen Page followed the head-smashing robot with the chart of Orion from a few episodes ago into the basement and discovered a laser transmitter in its wrist. She tells Bernard that it's a narrow beam transmitter for satellite communications and that someone must be using it for corporate espionage.

Fooz posted:

Woah holy poo poo theres something huge in this episode

Just fyi you have done this several times and are the worst kind of garbage poster. Nobody is going to go "oh man you gotta tell us what your genius theory is!" so just give it up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does it not seem like William's story is heading toward Dolores using him to get farther along in the maze? I imagine she will end up ditching him at some point, as right now it seems like she's using him the way Ed Harris is using Teddy.

The two logos thing really makes me wonder about seeing two eras or periods, especially since the show is getting so aggressive about posing them against each other in so many scenes, but there's nothing to suggest how far apart from each other they are. If William is in the past he could just be the prompt for Dolores to get woke, or she gets woke and the staff suppress it until the Maeve revolution uncovers that part of her again--it's not really productive to speculate yet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sagebrush posted:

Just fyi you have done this several times and are the worst kind of garbage poster. Nobody is going to go "oh man you gotta tell us what your genius theory is!" so just give it up.

Maybe it's an Abrams schtick?

"Hey guys, I have a great idea!"

"What is it?"

"Plot Twist: It's nothing! But you were like, 'wow what is it,' for a second, right? Haha *gets paid millions* "

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
JJ really gets tons of poo poo for stuff Damon Lindelof wrote.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Given the information from the last episode it might be important to note that for the two-timeframes to work it means that Dolores-with-William hasn't been woken yet by her father and hasn't as-of-yet woke Maeve with the Violent Delights phrase, so whatever she's doing with William she's not 'woke'.

This is of course not conclusive either way (it could that her behavior in the william-story is entirely scripted, or alternatively that 'waking' doesn't actually do anything, or any other possibility), but to me this further suggests that the all of these events are concurrent. I don't know.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 7, 2016

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Given the information from the last episode it might be important to note that for the two-timeframes to work it means that Dolores-with-William hasn't been woken yet by her father and hasn't as-of-yet woke Maeve with the Violent Delights phrase, so whatever she's doing with William she's not 'woke'.

This is of course note conclusive either way (it could that her behavior in the william-story is entirely scripted, or alternatively that 'waking' doesn't actually do anything, or any other possibility), but to me this further suggests that the all of these events are concurrent. I don't know.

Granted, Dolores may be on the verge of recognizing her reality in the earlier timeline but later she may either get reset or have her memories forced into dormancy until they need to be "reactivated. "

I have been pretty skeptical of the two-timelines idea. but this episode in particular has made an effort to point out the two logos do come from different eras and that Maeve was not always running the brothel which lends the theory considerably more credence. Granted, if it is true, I still think it is a bit of a underwhelming gimmick.

As for a payoff, I thought Maeve fully realizing the nature of her existence was payment enough. One of the core theme of Westworld seems to be "recognizing the truth of your reality" and I thought that theme hit hard this episode.

Also, they causally threw in that "China controls the future" trope into a scene.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 7, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Fooz fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 7, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Granted, Dolores may be on the verge of recognizing her reality in the earlier timeline but later she may either get reset or have her memories forced into dormancy until they need to be "reactivated. "

I have been pretty skeptical of the two-timelines idea. but this episode in particular has made an effort to point out the two logos do come from different eras and that Maeve was not always running the brothel which lends the theory considerably more credence. Granted, if it is true, I still think it is a bit of a underwhelming gimmick.

As for a payoff, I thought Maeve fully realizing the nature of her existence was payment enough. One of the core theme of Westworld seems to be "recognizing the truth of your reality" and I thought that theme hit hard this episode.

Also, they causally threw in that "China controls the future" trope into a scene.

They should have at least made it Japan to make the present of Westworld an 80s retrofuture.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Apart from all the scenes with Maeve, and Teddy's Gatling upgrade, this episode was the first that felt pretty 'meh' for me. Ford's sentimental for the hosts after all, so what (although Arnold sending a 'who controls things now' message was pretty cool, I guess). I'm just not interested in the corporate espionage / what the management wants storyline, and that seemed to take up the bulk of this episode.

Arnold being alive, if true, would be a disappointment next to the robots getting woke on their own due to errors and legacy code in coding.

e: I continue to love how relentlessly negative the Rolling Stone reviews are, though.

meristem fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 7, 2016

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

meristem posted:

Apart from all the scenes with Maeve, and Teddy's Gatling upgrade, this episode was the first that felt pretty 'meh' for me. Ford's sentimental for the hosts after all, so what (although Arnold sending a 'who controls things now' message was pretty cool, I guess). I'm just not interested in the corporate espionage / what the management wants storyline, and that seemed to take up the bulk of this episode.

Arnold being alive, if true, would be a disappointment next to the robots getting woke on their own due to errors and legacy code in coding.

e: I continue to love how relentlessly negative the Rolling Stone reviews are, though.

The scenes with the head of narrative guy are literal trash from a writing, acting, and directing perspective. I can't work out why, when the rest of the show is amazingly well put together, maybe that area of the plot was altered and they had to rewrite and reshoot a lot of material? Would be ironic, at least.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yeah, that entire scene jolted me out of the show, it was hard to accept they would go along with it. I guess the best way to look at is that they're in uncharted waters and they don't really have another option but to do what they did. She already proved that resetting her didn't work, and they probably couldn't get her shut down/de-commissioned without revealing what they did.

As for two timeline theory (which I totes accept), where would Dolores be in the present? She's encountered the Man in Black on the farm already but after that I can't recall if they showed her interacting with anyne else.

Maeve basically says - you screwed up when you first used the pad to access me. You are going to be fired when they find out. You might as well take the route that allows you to make the most money and that's the one where they continue the racket they have going, give her intelligence, and hope that she leads to an outcome where they aren't fired.

I would say that where Dolores is in the present time frame is unclear but we have several options. She could be standing there looking down at her dead bartender father and everything after that was a memory. She could be standing outside after waking up at night and digging up the gun. She could have just ridden off on the horse after killing Rebus. But pretty much any theory still has her at the farm.

What if the MiB gave her the gun after their encounter? She could have either buried it or put it in her dresser drawer. Then she could have moved it to the other place. Either way, if the two time frames is right I think that she has that gun and that the gun is important and is something that the one time frame theory has not really addressed. I suppose you could argue that our impression that she took the gun from Rebus is wrong and that she actually hid the gun in the hay but that's less likely to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The scenes with the head of narrative guy are literal trash from a writing, acting, and directing perspective. I can't work out why, when the rest of the show is amazingly well put together, maybe that area of the plot was altered and they had to rewrite and reshoot a lot of material? Would be ironic, at least.

Yeah it was garbage, it's really hard to imagine a multi-billion dollar facility allowing a disgruntled employee to run amok like that and harass the guests.

And really this had another aspect that kind of makes me question the quality of the writing, in previous episodes Ford tells Theresa that the board's rep was "already there", which was played off as a sort of ominous reveal and was meant to get us thinking about which character was the board's rep, but this episode we learn it was actually a new character who wasn't introduced yet and apparently only arrived at the park right now (or has otherwise been chilling at the pool area for a couple of episodes).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

BarbarousBertha posted:

Getting a longer look at the old logo versus the new got me thinking. The new logo has a W within bars, bars that appear strained rather than effectively restraining. Old logo on the other hand looks like an unrolling spiral, an unfurling ribbon, or perhaps a slipping loop.

The W stands for Waylon and the sub-basement is full of hive eggs calling it now.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah it was garbage, it's really hard to imagine a multi-billion dollar facility allowing a disgruntled employee to run amok like that and harass the guests.

And really this had another aspect that kind of makes me question the quality of the writing, in previous episodes Ford tells Theresa that the board's rep was "already there", which was played off as a sort of ominous reveal and was meant to get us thinking about which character was the board's rep, but this episode we learn it was actually a new character who wasn't introduced yet and apparently only arrived at the park right now (or has otherwise been chilling at the pool area for a couple of episodes).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pool area is the "decompression" resort the Guests stay at for a few days before leaving WestWorld, to get them reacquainted with the idea that they can't just murder anyone they want anymore.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I wonder how many guests have been murdered in the pool though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I agree the stuff with the Butchers is dumb. They have complete control over Maeve, and if a complete wipe didn't work, they can just say she's gone defective and people would believe them over her.

However the scenes of her getting the tour were fantastic, and this show just has phenomenal acting and design. I'm so wrapped up in the world they created and want to know everything.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ok so if Robot-Bernard looked at olde picture and assumed Robot-Ford-Dad was Arnold because he couldn't see the Arnold in the picture because HE is Arnold does that mean that Dolores didn't see anything in the photo Peter Abernathy had because she's secretly the woman in it?

lol this show is silly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The violin motion picture soundtrack Radiohead cover for that scene was fantastic. As was her various reactions to seeing the hosts, like her disapproving looks of the two girls kissing and the complete existential let down when she saw the card players draw guns. It was perfect and I almost teared up for her a bit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Blind Rasputin posted:

The violin motion picture soundtrack Radiohead cover for that scene was fantastic. As was her various reactions to seeing the hosts, like her disapproving looks of the two girls kissing and the complete existential let down when she saw the card players draw guns. It was perfect and I almost teared up for her a bit.

Same.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

meristem posted:

:agreed:

The corporate espionage plotline is the worst one.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm expecting the corporate espionage plot to be something that isn't corporate espionage so I'm just on the ride right now for that one.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, the tour scene was good, everything else much worse than what we got in previous episodes.
The butchers. The narrative guy. The espionage scenes.
Made me cringe a bit at the quality inconsistency.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
My pet theory:

The man at the center of the maze is Arnold, or rather a large computer housing his consciousness. He was hoping to build an artificial body for himself but the technology just wasn't there yet. Hosts at his time were just automatons that ran their silly little loops. So he uploaded his brain and waited for Hosts (nice terminology, right?) to get sophisticated enough that their thinky parts could house a human mind. So the maze is essentially a riddle/quest Arnold put in place to test to see of a Host could possibly upload him. Remember how the little girl told MiB that the maze was not for him? That might be why.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Pretty sure the man at the centre of the maze is going to be a host, from the mention of them being resurrected over and over again.

It could be Arnold, but at the moment that would only be one resurrection.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Monglo posted:

Yeah, the tour scene was good, everything else much worse than what we got in previous episodes.
The butchers. The narrative guy. The espionage scenes.
Made me cringe a bit at the quality inconsistency.
Sizemore is by far the most obnoxious character on this show and I can't tell if it's just the overacting going on or the character's inherent douche baggery. Or both.

Seriously, gently caress any time that idiot is on screen.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone notice that even when Maeve had a knife to Douche Medic's throat/stomach/face, she didn't even prick the skin? Is she still bound by the "don't cause harm to people" directive?

I also don't understand the LOST comparisons. I may be a one-timeliner but this show seems pretty upfront about its mysteries. The nature of the park's detailed more and more each week, the "corporate espionage" plot's taken a big leap forward this week, as has Maeve's plotline. We also got the question of the boy-bot answered quickly. Most of the things that seem like "questions" to others just seem like "plotline in progress" to me.

Also, yes I think the hosts will become sentient, and yes it'll ultimately boil down to "corporate espionage." This show's based on a Michael Crichton book, after all. Prometheus was just a guy looking to make a buck.

The Dave posted:

For a second I wondered if the device in the arm was related to Ford's wifi controls but surely he wouldn't be able to get away with that without someone knowing, right?

I know this is old but she was acknowledging her artificial body, like how the opening credits show hosts being 3D printed in threads.

edit: Also, I loved that Elsie called out "...Arnold?" in the theatre. She's no stranger to weird poo poo.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
"Alright guys, team meeting! We've upgraded to a new version of the OS ,from tomorrow on we will be working from level 32 instead of 18, don't bother cleaning out your desks just leave everything where it is right now none of it is coming with us, also we will never disturb any of it or reuse this space or even send anyone to clean despite being in control of an army of tireless perpetual laborers. Jensen! I said don't touch anything, leave that computer plugged in and ready to go at anytime despite my saying we are NEVER coming back to this floor"

The future is either really dumb or really smart, not sure which yet.

The leaking everywhere is becoming some kinda Eternal Sunshine..esque "we are actually in a mind that is fracturing" trigger thing for me. I know it's dumb but the constant dampness seems more forebodding than it should be, like a state of purgatory or a sadness always trying to fight it's way through to our world. And why build your facility up from the bottom? the lower levels are clearly the "old facilities" while the newer facilities are higher up and less ...nightmarish, which seems like the opposite of how living inside a mountain/ridge/thing would be, seems you'd start at the top and newer poo poo would go lower and lower as you're constantly excavating to expand.

....like uh... xcom, Delos is bad at xcom is what I'm sayin.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 7, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Accretionist posted:

People are arguing that William's jaunt was prior to Maeve's promotion to matron, and is therefore at least one year past:

Yo I dont think this was mentioned in the thread before but i wouldnt be surprised if theres a reddit post about it or something. I'm starting to get on board with the show doing two timelines but only a year apart, not 30:

So in Ep 5 Dolores tells Ford during interrogation that her last contact with Arnold was 34 years 7 days ago on the day he died
At the end of that episode Man in Black is talking to Ford and in reference to Arnold says "I'd need a shovel; the man I'd be asking died 35 years ago."

Is he rounding up a full year, or is it 1 year after the Dolores interrogation? Not that the interrogation can be placed at any particular time since it is an empty mind box where nothing exists outside of it.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yeah, think about how are they going to stop her?

If they club her to death, so what she'll still remember it, unless they completely destroy her head in which case all of their shenanigans will be discovered by the investigation - as would any serious change to her programming like making her as intelligent as a carrot

there's no way assholebro's robo prostitution doesn't get discovered in any investigation either, and there's no way they reveal this issue without coming under a microscope

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, how has nobody posted about Sizemore's pee-scapade yet?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

No everyone is either really buttmad about the show or dumbos who subscribe to 2 timelines

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

rich thick and creamy posted:

My pet theory:

The man at the center of the maze is Arnold, or rather a large computer housing his consciousness. He was hoping to build an artificial body for himself but the technology just wasn't there yet. Hosts at his time were just automatons that ran their silly little loops. So he uploaded his brain and waited for Hosts (nice terminology, right?) to get sophisticated enough that their thinky parts could house a human mind. So the maze is essentially a riddle/quest Arnold put in place to test to see of a Host could possibly upload him. Remember how the little girl told MiB that the maze was not for him? That might be why.

...So Arnold is that computer out of Fallout New Vegas?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dr. Lariat posted:

"Alright guys, team meeting! We've upgraded to a new version of the OS ,from tomorrow on we will be working from level 32 instead of 18, don't bother cleaning out your desks just leave everything where it is right now none of it is coming with us, also we will never disturb any of it or reuse this space or even send anyone to clean despite being in control of an army of tireless perpetual laborers. Jensen! I said don't touch anything, leave that computer plugged in and ready to go at anytime despite my saying we are NEVER coming back to this floor"

The future is either really dumb or really smart, not sure which yet.

"And don't bother turning off the overhead lights, the bulbs will burn out over time."

The abandoned office is clearly a regular office set with some fake cobwebs will never not be funny to me.

Mameluke posted:

I found it funny. But what more is there to say?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How is exposing yourself and pissing on valuable electronics, in front of a board member no less, not a firing offense?

I mean...uh...there aren't yellow stains on the 3D map in any scenes! Two timelines are impossible!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We don't know the details of arnold's death right? Like, could he have faked his death and he's been living in the park for 30 years lol

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
We don't know he hasn't been fired for peeing on the map.

I really hope he is though, cause he sucks and every minute he's on screen is wasted.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Mameluke posted:

How is exposing yourself and pissing on valuable electronics, in front of a board member no less, not a firing offense?

I mean...uh...there aren't yellow stains on the 3D map in any scenes! Two timelines are impossible!

The shocking reveal next episode will be Lee's piss-antics in the control room flooded the actual park and killed 32 guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't made it all the way through the thread yet, so ignore these if they've been discussed.

They definitely made the point that Dolores is alone in the train car leaving Pariah, after she says "I'm coming," right (end of episode 5, or last week)?

I can't wrap my head around everything supporting or refuting two timelines, but if it is the case, it seems far more likely for Ed Harris's character to be Logan, not William.

• Locked thread