Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TildeATH posted:

Any good research papers on the role of climate change in recent conflict in the Middle East and North Africa?
I was wondering this, but for research articles, documents, sources regarding not just climate change but other factors that could shape the rest of the 21st century for the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
https://twitter.com/JustinGerdes/status/795145250436059136

Owns

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Copenhagen is an amazing city in many ways.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just found out that nasa says my home state will suffer a second dustbowl thanks to climate change, and will become so arid afterwards that it will become a new sahara

:rip: oklahoma :smith:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

just found out that nasa says my home state will suffer a second dustbowl thanks to climate change, and will become so arid afterwards that it will become a new sahara

It's a terrible place that votes for climate change deniers like it's their job.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TildeATH posted:

It's a terrible place that votes for climate change deniers like it's their job.

it's also where i spent most of my life and met a lot of good people. hearing that it may become uninhabitable in the future hurts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Isn't that the home state of Mary "Pray for Oil" Fallin?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Condiv posted:

That's pretty strong language for Nasa, curious for linky?

I just checked with this paper. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00273.1
It basically analyses what all the different models say about climate changes for North America. (I am familiar with this stuff because I am doing work on California)

Oklahoma exists in-between the latitudinal band where we expect drying to the south and wetting to the north (both generally very robust changes) and things are supposed to be super uncertain in-between, where Oklahoma is. But for some reason for Oklahoma (And Kansas and Nebraska, that longitudinal band) the models are in pretty good agreement that summer drying there is going to be a thing, up to -0.5mm per day on average by 2100.

:(

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So what's it gonna be like, living in RCP8.5?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So what's it gonna be like, living in RCP8.5?

Much more decentralized

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NewForumSoftware posted:

Much more decentralized

at the molecular level

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
One of the most depressing things about this entire election has been that it was never a goddamn issue on the discussion table for MSM and the two candidates on offer.

And now we are possibly close to electing a jackass who will deregulate industries that will ruin the world even further. And he will blame China for climate change as a hoax the whole way through.

I'll sustain myself with the memory of Bernie answering "Climate Change" when asked what was the largest issue facing the USA.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

its no big deal posted:

One of the most depressing things about this entire election has been that it was never a goddamn issue on the discussion table for MSM and the two candidates on offer.

And now we are possibly close to electing a jackass who will deregulate industries that will ruin the world even further. And he will blame China for climate change as a hoax the whole way through.

I'll sustain myself with the memory of Bernie answering "Climate Change" when asked what was the largest issue facing the USA.

Hey man, don't worry! A bunch of nations met in Paris and agreed to definitely start thinking about a plan that will keep us under a warming target that's already passed! Nothing can go wrong.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We're pretty well hosed now. As much as I liked to bitch that we weren't doing enough (because we weren't), the one thing we legitimately had on our side was the rhetoric. The Democrats were at least willing to acknowledge the problem and offer a way forward, even if it was often too little too late. Now we're stuck with someone who doesn't believe in climate change at all and will possibly spearhead policies that will actually accelerate our rate of emissions. Oh, and he's got full control of the federal government too.

I may post gloomy poo poo in this thread sometimes, but I've never actually felt despondent about climate change and I've always been optimistic that we'll get our poo poo together eventually. I'm not optimistic anymore. I think we're screwed and that we've screwed our children too.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Paradoxish posted:

I may post gloomy poo poo in this thread sometimes, but I've never actually felt despondent about climate change and I've always been optimistic that we'll get our poo poo together eventually. I'm not optimistic anymore. I think we're screwed and that we've screwed our children too.

I mean, climate change is The Issue, full stop. A lot of other things flow from it and will continue to flow more from it, and there is no hope to address it in a real way if Donny becomes president.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I mean, climate change is The Issue, full stop. A lot of other things flow from it and will continue to flow more from it, and there is no hope to address it in a real way if Donny becomes president.

Not an issue anymore, in the same way an inoperable brain tumor is not an issue so much as terminal

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey man, don't worry! A bunch of nations met in Paris and agreed to definitely start thinking about a plan that will keep us under a warming target that's already passed! Nothing can go wrong.

:shepicide:

Paradoxish posted:

I think we're screwed and that we've screwed our children too.

A customer at the coffee shop I work at asked me if I wanted kids. I said no. He asked why. I bullshitted about lifestyle and money. Those are part of it, but really I couldn't figure out how to tell this man, who's holding his baby daughter, that I think the world is totally hosed. I didn't know how to say that in a matter of decades societal collapse on some level will happen and that the children of today will be ruined by it and I can't bring someone into that. His daughter gave me a high five.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress all you dumb optimists, glad you were proven wrong

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Climate Change:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

call to action posted:

gently caress all you dumb optimists, glad you were proven wrong

that's the spirit

call to action (the action is being smug)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope releasing sulfates into the air works and doesn't kill us all even faster

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So another four years of bravely ignoring the problem and demanding even more pollution and destruction for a quick buck. Hurray. :smith:

I hate this damned country.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Geostomp posted:

So another four years of bravely ignoring the problem and demanding even more pollution and destruction for a quick buck. Hurray. :smith:

Just quoting cause I agree and am losing my ability to do words.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

Uhh this got decided a few months ago though I thought?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

NewForumSoftware posted:

Uhh this got decided a few months ago though I thought?

Trump won, Republicans have everything so expect things to get so much worse as they pander to all their interests and base's demands.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

Trump won, Republicans have everything so expect things to get so much worse as they pander to all their interests and base's demands.

personally i'm not invested in who gets to oversee the collapse of industrial civilization, something tells me they will stop mattering pretty quick

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Global warming is going to be bad, regardless of who was elected, It's just going to be way worse now.

The real idiots (in regards to global warming) are those who thought capitalism would adjust to climate change, cause lmao it's going to resist change until the end of humanity, especially now.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Geostomp posted:

Dehumamize yourself and face to trumpshed.

EDIT: I am actually having a mini panic attack over this in another thread now. What the gently caress are we gonna do?! WHAT THE gently caress ARE WE GONNA DO?! (Nothing, probably)

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 9, 2016

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Anyone who refuses to give in to nihilism and hasn't read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series should probably go and read it right now. I would say it's time to start thinking about setting up a group along similar lines.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Inglonias posted:

Dehumamize yourself and face to trumpshed.

EDIT: I am actually having a mini panic attack over this in another thread now. What the gently caress are we gonna do?! WHAT THE gently caress ARE WE GONNA DO?! (Nothing, probably)

The same thing we needed to do if Hillary was elected. Build a coalition mass movement, win local elections, and pressure elected officials to act. The difference is Hillary would have given more lip service to the threat of climate change and probably would have done a bit more to support small (effectively meaningless) changes in energy policy, but remember she would also have been hamstrung by a congressional blockade. Under Trump, the US energy policy will be more of the status quo. Oil and gas production will increase, but production was already expanding before this election.

There's going to be a lot of people who are going to resist Trump and the Republicans on a lot of things, and are going to realize they have to get out, protest, and build an alternative. It might be local third parties, it might be based first in anti-racism, or labor, or anti-sexism. Find those people and work with them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, sorry international fam. Our new president thinks climate change is a hoax, and our GOP-controlled legislative branch is going to gut the EPA and all regulatory agencies. The anarcho-capitalist uprise in the US is gonna cook the planet.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The same thing we needed to do if Hillary was elected. Build a coalition mass movement, win local elections, and pressure elected officials to act. The difference is Hillary would have given more lip service to the threat of climate change and probably would have done a bit more to support small (effectively meaningless) changes in energy policy, but remember she would also have been hamstrung by a congressional blockade. Under Trump, the US energy policy will be more of the status quo. Oil and gas production will increase, but production was already expanding before this election.

There's going to be a lot of people who are going to resist Trump and the Republicans on a lot of things, and are going to realize they have to get out, protest, and build an alternative. It might be local third parties, it might be based first in anti-racism, or labor, or anti-sexism. Find those people and work with them.

I think you're broadly right. At the same time a spade is a spade, Trump is definitely going to roll back the CPP which was one of the few positive achievements of climate change in the US over the past few years.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Facehammer posted:

Anyone who refuses to give in to nihilism and hasn't read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series should probably go and read it right now. I would say it's time to start thinking about setting up a group along similar lines.

There are a number of community projects that already exist for folks looking to make it through the Jackpot, they mostly go by Transition towns or Eco villages. I know some well educated folks who now spend their days laying foundation for rammed earth houses powered by solar and installing rainwater catchment systems. Hope you enjoy backbreaking work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

There are a number of community projects that already exist for folks looking to make it through the Jackpot, they mostly go by Transition towns or Eco villages. I know some well educated folks who now spend their days laying foundation for rammed earth houses powered by solar and installing rainwater catchment systems. Hope you enjoy backbreaking work.

I hope those well educated folks have good future rainfall models.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Wakko posted:

You know what? If nothing else, its exercise.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's hard to say what will happen because Trump has no actual policy positions of his own, just lines that get applause so he re-uses them, but if he follows through on withdrawing from the Paris accords then it's hard to have any hope whatsoever even if you go into survivalist mode.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Is there any hope if people belatedly go for crazy geo engineering stuff, or should I tell my nephew when he's old enough that he's utterly hosed.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

ShredsYouSay posted:

Is there any hope if people belatedly go for crazy geo engineering stuff, or should I tell my nephew when he's old enough that he's utterly hosed.

lol @ the idea that everyone is "hosed"

ahhhh can you imagine living life like 99% of humans that have ever existed? truly a life not worth living

white people are the worst, please don't brainwash your nephew into committing suicide

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It will probably be obvious by that point.

And yes there is hope that people go for crazy geo-engineering, it's almost guaranteed I think. Which isn't to say it's a good idea in the slightest.

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol @ the idea that everyone is "hosed"

ahhhh can you imagine living life like 99% of humans that have ever existed? truly a life not worth living

white people are the worst, please don't brainwash your nephew into committing suicide

Or how about I imagine human beings living in a climate that no human has experienced on Earth before.

Also go gently caress yourself with your idiotic 'white people' bullshit.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Welp, here's where it starts.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/