Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I managed to get a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. Math, which was the last NOA-published NES game I needed to complete my collection goals for the NES. 20+ years and I'm pretty much done collecting for the NES. Kind of feels weird.

Oh well. Moving on to the SNES and Game Boy. There's a dozen first-party Game Boy games I'm on the lookout for, and three SNES games, one of which is Kirby's Dream Land 3 so that should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Drone posted:

"Make sure that the floor is strong enough."

Sony is not responsible for Japanese hipsters who cheap out on their tatami mats.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dammit I wasn't going to get back into SNES, but this could not be ignored on the shelf at Goodwill yesterday. It looks like hell but it works, and will be my Gradius 3 machine for the near future. For this this time around of collecting SNES I'm leaning more towards getting an everdrive rather than jumping into collecting the carts, given how hosed that market is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, basically everyone who's into SNES games basically needs to be in the import market or own an everdrive, cause the US game prices are dumb.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, basically everyone who's into SNES games basically needs to be in the import market or own an everdrive, cause the US game prices are dumb.

Yep. A lot of SFC versions are literally 10-20X less than SNES versions and CIB to boot.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How's the market for SFC and classic games in general in Japan? Are the prices on the rise as well?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

How's the market for SFC and classic games in general in Japan? Are the prices on the rise as well?

Yeah, they've been going up. While the obsessive collector market is significantly smaller in Japan, things are still getting tied up and the international market has caught on to the "I'll just buy it from Japan" trick enough to put some upward pressures on things. But the rare games in Japan generally aren't the same things that are rare in the US. RPG's, for example, are generally common as dirt and disposable. Famicom stuff is absurdly common and only the most obscure and in demand stuff goes for more than a few dollars. MegaDrive, OTOH, is the rare platform for weirdos in Japan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

In general yes but only a fraction of what it is in the states. Stores in cities are running dry so you need to hit smaller towns for decent prices. All the major console stuff like Nintendo and Sega are dirt cheap and things get understandably crazier when you get to stuff on the PC-Engine and Saturn.

But in general if a game saw a worldwide release the Japanese version is probably cheaper by a great deal.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Though I'm sure I could go digging deeper on other sites, looking at SFC games on ebay still makes a basic everdrive real appealing. Even if I spent more and bumped it up to the DSP series of chips option that's a lot more games vs getting a couple of random cart lots with the usual chaff in them. I'm 80% to 90% sure I can live without the games with more exotic chips in them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

Though I'm sure I could go digging deeper on other sites, looking at SFC games on ebay still makes a basic everdrive real appealing. Even if I spent more and bumped it up to the DSP series of chips option that's a lot more games vs getting a couple of random cart lots with the usual chaff in them. I'm 80% to 90% sure I can live without the games with more exotic chips in them.

I've probably made this post before, but when I was buying flashcarts, I took the SD2SNES and haven't regretted it one bit. All the special chips, auto region patching (playing on a PAL 50/60hz modded SNES), fast loading, MSU-1 support..

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I grabbed the bulk of my SNES collection back before prices ballooned out of control. The only expensive game I'd like to get is Kirby's Dream Land 3, but other than that I already own most of the expensive stuff on that console. If I had to restart from scratch I'd just go with the Everdrive probably.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah no if my collection weren't largely over a decade old a lot of those purchases simply wouldn't be happening.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but if anyone is looking to buy an :intv: , I have several in very good condition that I have been hoarding (and playing, and rebuilding) for decades. Time to pick up the reigns and move on, so if there is any interest, hit me up and I'll put together some bundles. I don't even remember how many 2609A units I have. I know I have an Inty III, a Sears version, and pretty sure at least a handful of Inty IIs.

I'm only looking for a handful of games myself. But everyone MUST want the Sears Intellivision because it is the most awesomely ugly rear end motherfucking thing ever and I love it and am happy that's the Inty I have.

I also love the Atari 800 for the same reason. So goddamned HIDEOUS looking that it turns around to making me adore their hyper 70s rear end looks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who just bought an SNES a year ago, gently caress the game prices. I just bought the JP version of SF2T because it was 50% cheaper than the us one.

That basic everdrive is the price of maybe two big name SNES games, it's almost a no brainer

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I went to a flea market for the first time since moving, and what the gently caress retro stuff is sanely priced what is this madness? Even a whole lot of CED VideoDiscs for sale (like, from multiple vendors), which was extremely :wtc: for me.

I'm just waiting to find a decent CRT someone throws out that's not spine-compromisingly heavy, and then I can finally have a creepy basement setup like that infamous Iwata shrine picture.

Also gently caress yeah, managed to get an order for the Famicom Mini with the 30 postcards at the normal price.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Got a link to the Famicom mini you ordered?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

Got a link to the Famicom mini you ordered?

Amazon.co.jp, which is essentially sold out but occasionally a bunch become available and sell out, like, immediately, so get 1-click setup, and you may have to go to the actual "sellers" listing for Amazon to be available.

This one comes with the postcards:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%8B%...ds=famicom+mini

This one doesn't

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%...ds=famicom+mini

This one is the console, postcard set and AC adaptor, but remember the unit is powered with USB so any of the 8 million chargers you already have should work even if your TV is without ports.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 7, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but if anyone is looking to buy an :intv: , I have several in very good condition that I have been hoarding (and playing, and rebuilding) for decades. Time to pick up the reigns and move on, so if there is any interest, hit me up and I'll put together some bundles. I don't even remember how many 2609A units I have. I know I have an Inty III, a Sears version, and pretty sure at least a handful of Inty IIs.

I might be interested—well, I am interested but I dunno if I have the money for it right now. Intellivision's a big gap in my gaming knowledge from that era, for whatever reason.

According to wikipedia. the Intellivision III was never released, though?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 7, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

Amazon.co.jp, which is essentially sold out but occasionally a bunch become available and sell out, like, immediately, so get 1-click setup, and you may have to go to the actual "sellers" listing for Amazon to be available.

This one comes with the postcards:

This one doesn't

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%...ds=famicom+mini

This one is the console, postcard set and AC adaptor, but remember the unit is powered with HDMI so any of the 8 million chargers you already have should work even if your TV is without ports.

USB.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That was quite the brain fart on my part.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

I might be interested—well, I am interested but I dunno if I have the money for it right now. Intellivision's a big gap in my gaming knowledge from that era, for whatever reason.

According to wikipedia. the Intellivision III was never released, though?

It was, by INTV, who took over for Mattel. It was, as far as I recall, just a slightly different first model Intellivision.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It was, by INTV, who took over for Mattel. It was, as far as I recall, just a slightly different first model Intellivision.

Not the actual Intellivision 3 though. Which was something actually better. The Intellivision aries podcast has talked about it. This month in fact. And a new flashcart is coming out so its a good time to get it.

And join in the Christmas Carol vs the world competition since the good game is free if you don't want to buy it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm back from glorious nippon, who wants a haul pic

the MVS game is real bout 1, it was 1500 yen at BEEP which is an ok price to pay to do that blue mary thing on real hardware. all the other retro games besides the DDP board and under defeat which I got an awesome deal on are nothing special, just the random cheap games you kinda accumulate when you go to japan. why did I buy L-DIS?

my dream is now to open an all candy cab arcade in the US so foreign barbarians can get some culture, I seriously can't describe how good some of those arcades were, it was like eating a steak for the first time if you've only ever had mcdonalds your whole life. go to japan and play their old video games before all the CRTs die. I already saw a very small amount of old games in modern vewlix cabs with LCD screens and it wasn't pretty

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

the MVS game is real bout 1, it was 1500 yen at BEEP which is an ok price to pay to do that blue mary thing on real hardware. all the other retro games besides the DDP board and under defeat which I got an awesome deal on are nothing special, just the random cheap games you kinda accumulate when you go to japan. why did I buy L-DIS?

my dream is now to open an all candy cab arcade in the US so foreign barbarians can get some culture, I seriously can't describe how good some of those arcades were, it was like eating a steak for the first time if you've only ever had mcdonalds your whole life. go to japan and play their old video games before all the CRTs die. I already saw a very small amount of old games in modern vewlix cabs with LCD screens and it wasn't pretty

How much did Under Defeat run you?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

How much did Under Defeat run you?

5000 yen at mandarake shockingly. there was one of those stickers saying it was junk or blemished or whatever but it's completely mint?!?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"This guy was selling his art collective’s work on a Sega Dreamcast VMU as Jet Set Radio graffiti patterns. I am very impressed with this effort, to the point where I bought one on principle"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I usually don't go for stuff like that but man that is rad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What. Please link to that. That is beyond cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I love Jet Set/Grind

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Hey, no fair. You gotta spread those books and magazines out for everyone to see. There's a lot of neat stuff to be found in old Japanese publications, like this compilation of Gamest fan artwork, letters, and character polls. Check out Edward Randy's moment in the sun!

Edit: If I were to go back to Japan, I suspect I'd spend more time at prize-catcher machines. Most arcade video games filter out to computers and consoles one way or another, but you can only appreciate UFO catchers and whatnot in person. From what I remember, the Japanese machines were more forgiving and the prizes were nicer.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What. Please link to that. That is beyond cool

This is all I have for a link: http://toasticles.tumblr.com/post/152825933133/unbelievable-this-guy-was-selling-his-art

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Returning to this -- you don't have PM's! My Intellivision 1 has a faulty RF-out; I'd be interested in a replacement (or if you somehow have an additional Intellivision 2 power supply, the one I grew up with managed to lose it in one of a million moves). Do you have an email you prefer to use?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

why did I buy L-DIS?

I think it's a good game! Certainly one of the titles that establishes the PCE as a fine cute-em-up machine.

d0s posted:

my dream is now to open an all candy cab arcade in the US so foreign barbarians can get some culture

Are you rich? You'd have to be, otherwise the cabs won't earn enough to justify their electricity cost and dumb idiots will break the controls over and over (it's why we've always had that Happs bullshit instead of Seimitsu or Sanwa). That said, I'd visit your arcade and have a good time, as long as there are shmups.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

5000 yen at mandarake shockingly. there was one of those stickers saying it was junk or blemished or whatever but it's completely mint?!?

This my favorite thing about JP goods; like maybe its missing a spine card or the box has a scratch and thus worth a fraction of the price.

"Junk" labels on an MSX usually means "needs a new floppy belt" or "is missing a basic av cable"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Are you rich? You'd have to be, otherwise the cabs won't earn enough to justify their electricity cost and dumb idiots will break the controls over and over (it's why we've always had that Happs bullshit instead of Seimitsu or Sanwa). That said, I'd visit your arcade and have a good time, as long as there are shmups.

yeah I know it's a pipe dream and I am not rich, but if I won the lottery or something I would definitely run one at a loss for my own enjoyment

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Edit: If I were to go back to Japan, I suspect I'd spend more time at prize-catcher machines. Most arcade video games filter out to computers and consoles one way or another, but you can only appreciate UFO catchers and whatnot in person. From what I remember, the Japanese machines were more forgiving and the prizes were nicer.

I missed this earlier somehow but for the most part the UFO catchers were a let down if you don't care about anime figurines/plushes of things that are either really popular with otaku at the moment (usually poo poo) or really popular with high school girls (usually a cute mascot or whatever, right now gudetama is everywhere). there was very rarely anything really cool in those machines, like there was a really bottom of the barrel chintzy famiclone in one and that was pretty much the only thing I saw that deviated from the anime titty/cute mascot strategy. I did get my very own titty statue from one but it was wearing a taito station uniform so I couldn't resist. most of em aren't that cool, but I get the feeling that like a lot of nerd things in japan they were probably way better 15-20 years ago.

it's just like the arcades honestly, like aside from the few decent fighters that come out most japanese people play the most godwaful boring seeming arcade games on earth in 2016 and unless it's a specialty arcade you have to traverse multiple floors of weird touchscreen/card/fake gambling poo poo to get to the single sticks and buttons floor that's a quarter street fighter IV, a quarter that gundam thing, a quarter NESICA live machines, and if you're lucky a quarter honest to god CRT candy cabs. if you're unlucky there may be one or two with one running titty mahjong and one running a weird selection of neo-geo games, or none at all.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 7, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
At least when I was there there was a whole store in Asakusabashi that was just capsule machines and prize machines that was pretty rad.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

d0s posted:

We had an all candy cab like that here in Hurst, TX for a brief time. It was so awesome that they bulldozed the Norh Hills mall to the ground.

Then he took over a Tilt in Irving. They decided a wall would be more profitable there.

He made a third attempt across the food court. It's either a mall hair college or a mall gym now. Too beautiful for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I did get my very own titty statue from one but it was wearing a taito station uniform so I couldn't resist. most of em aren't that cool, but I get the feeling that like a lot of nerd things in japan they were probably way better 15-20 years ago.

Yeah, I think the shift in the Japanese "nerd media" industry (manga, anime, video games) from a kind of low-key passive existence aiming at everyone from the fringe toedippers to the hardcore nerd set, to one that's become hyperactive and overtly pandering to hardcore otaku, has really sucked a lot of the creative life out of it. It does seem like the industry in question is very much engineered rather than organic these days. I guess it's less "Do you appreciate these themes and imagery and over-the-top fanservice?" (because let's be honest) to just "CHECK OUT THE CREEPILY WELL-DEFINED PANTSU ON THIS LOLITA-STYLE CHARACTER, SAME AS THE REST BUT WITH AN 0.1% DEVIATION!".

Of course, this could all be my age and jadedness speaking, along with my view being influenced by the worst of the English Internet highlighting the worst of the contemporary Japanese nerd fandom. And, of course, "mysteries" and a sense of the secret and unknown have always been crucial to something maintaining a kind of sacred appeal, and the Internet pretty much did away with a lot of that since there's no longer the gulf of physical distance, time, and loose word-of-mouth connections to keep the things happening in Japan obscured from those of us in the west.

• Locked thread