Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

iirc, you have to pass on more than 10 million dollars before you'd ever sniff (the estate) tax.

5.45 million for 2016. Which is still very, very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Inheritances are really pointless in these days of long lifespans. If you die at 90, your kids are probably 60 and nearly retired themselves. Back in the old days, you probably died at 50 with kids just starting out in life and a bequest could be just what they need to start up a business or build a house. But if you haven't got your poo poo together at 60, what hope is there?

nowthatyouasked
Oct 30, 2016

BarbarianElephant posted:

Inheritances are really pointless in these days of long lifespans. If you die at 90, your kids are probably 60 and nearly retired themselves. Back in the old days, you probably died at 50 with kids just starting out in life and a bequest could be just what they need to start up a business or build a house. But if you haven't got your poo poo together at 60, what hope is there?

But grandparents. My modest inheritance from my grandparents (less than 1 year's salary) was enough for a downpayment on a house. Hardly pointless.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Be able to afford retirement?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

We had this financial seminar at work where the guy seemed really chill and then he started talking about how estate taxes are the most "malicious" kind of tax.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wish I made even half the money it would take for me to be flagged for the estate tax.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Make a person's age when they die part of the progressive tax structure. If a person dies at a relatively young age, it can be passed on relatively tax free. But if you are over 80, and holding on to millions in assets rather than let the next generation have them, then you get dinged.

That covers the edge cases where dad died suddenly and the kids have to sell the farm or family business to pay taxes. But still motivate older people to retire and hand off large assets for other people to manage.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Yeah, no. Those scenarios don't exist, much like the mythical Cadillac driving welfare queen. If you're rich enough to get dinged by the estate tax, even at a quarter of what it is now, you've already benefited tremendously from your parent's wealth and can gently caress off about how hard things will be with only a few million instead of 8 figures.

In actual RWM news - gently caress Howard Kurtz' review of election coverage.

quote:

HOWARD KURTZ (HOST): Now this wild, crazy, intense, utterly absorbing campaign finally comes to an end on Tuesday -- I hear some of you cheering -- but I have to say the media have never had a worse campaign. The constant focus on sensationalism and insults -- and the candidates bear some responsibility here -- drove the race into the tabloid gutter. And then there was the misjudgments and sometimes outright hostility toward Donald Trump and the far lower level of scrutiny visited on Hillary Clinton and the repeated attempts to declare the race over and coronate the former first lady. No matter who wins, the press needs to do some self-examination here, even as we gear up to cover the new president-elect.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ZobarStyl posted:

Yeah, no. Those scenarios don't exist, much like the mythical Cadillac driving welfare queen. If you're rich enough to get dinged by the estate tax, even at a quarter of what it is now, you've already benefited tremendously from your parent's wealth and can gently caress off about how hard things will be with only a few million instead of 8 figures.

Yeah this is the problem with focusing on Trump's temperament. They treated Trump's tantrums as equivalent to Hillary's actual procedural and policy issues, letting people overlook Trump's bigger problem, that he is an ignorant conman who is unqualified to hold office and even if he was qualified, the plans and policies he and the GOP have would devastate the nation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

5.45 million for 2016. Which is still very, very high.

I've had to explain to far, far too many people that yes the inheritance tax will not affect you at all and yes you can leave your children the house and the lot of land it's on. No, that 4 acres of forest you own is not worth enough to get dinged for inheritance tax. On top of that no farmers are not selling their farms when they die to pay the tax; that rarely happens as family farms are typically not worth enough for that to happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ZobarStyl posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to how long post election the Conservatives stick to "it was unfair for people to treat Donald Trump like he was something different and extreme."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to how long post election the Conservatives stick to "it was unfair for people to treat Donald Trump like he was something different and extreme."

Not a chance. They will do a Bush and not even mention his name in case it summons him like Beetlejuice.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Not a chance. They will do a Bush and not even mention his name in case it summons him like Beetlejuice.

Or attribute his bullshit to "more of the same from Washington" lumped in with the Obama/Clinton administrations, like they've been doing with the Bush years lately.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZobarStyl posted:

To paraphrase Tommy Lee Jones: "Howard Kurtz's career didn't die when he went to Fox New, he just went home."

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Scott Adams is increasing his blogging lately, another two posts since yesterday. The first is basically an ad he made for his new app, so I won't post it. I will however post the first paragraph of that post.
Scott Adams has been going on and on about his Master Persuader theory of understanding Trump, but there's another, much better theory available. Devised by columnist Josh Marshall and named by John Scalzi, Trump's Razor states:

quote:

According to Trump's Razor: "ascertain the stupidest possible scenario that can be reconciled with the available facts" and that answer is likely correct.
For example, Trump wasn't starting with an extreme position and walking it back in a calculated bid to get more people on board, he was throwing poo poo out there and flailing around to see what works. His attempts to undercut his accusers and critics aren't part of a coherent strategy but simply a bruised ego lashing out.

As a Slate columnist put it:

quote:

Trump, in short, has perfected the rhetoric of fake power. Some might argue he’s performing for political gain, but I believe in Trump’s razor: The dumbest explanation is generally the correct one. The candidate can’t help who he is; can’t disguise his failings of intelligence or empathy; is succeeding via fateful accident in which his unique and diabolical traits have synced up perfectly with a smoldering, racially and economically alienated GOP electorate. But that doesn’t absolve him of playing on our fears with long, slender pianist’s fingers. It doesn’t justify his bullying repetitions, manipulative cues, rhetorical gaslighting, clausal manspreading, and bogus authority markers. Trumpspeak may be effective. Yet it is far from OK.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

But if you haven't got your poo poo together at 60, what hope is there?
This is extremely true. A friend of my dad's came into about half a million dollars a few years ago and burned through it with nothing to show for it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Faustian Bargain posted:

This is extremely true. A friend of my dad's came into about half a million dollars a few years ago and burned through it with nothing to show for it.

Did he really burn through it or did he use it for something like a buying a house?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Star Man posted:

Be able to afford retirement?

5 million tax-free dollars is enough for anyone to afford a comfortable retirement. Even if you're 100% risk-averse you can invest that poo poo in 30-year treasuries @2.56% and make $128,000/yr without even touching the principal.

Not even Hillary Clinton is proposing an estate tax that will doom to perpetual poverty the pampered heirs of a family fortune someone else created.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nowthatyouasked posted:

But grandparents. My modest inheritance from my grandparents (less than 1 year's salary) was enough for a downpayment on a house. Hardly pointless.

Your grandparents/you make 5.45 million per child per year?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Your grandparents/you make 5.45 million per child per year?

I don't think he meant in the context of the estate tax, just a prior assertion that inheritance is pointless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ted Nugent making an rear end of himself again by grabbing his balls and saying "Here's your Blue State"

Taking bets on him being a rapist.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

Ted Nugent making an rear end of himself again by grabbing his balls and saying "Here's your Blue State"

Ted doesn't get any sex lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Scott Adams is all in on the election being rigged, so that's probably what he'll claim if Hillary wins tomorrow.

quote:

The news tells us that there have been polling irregularities in past elections, but not enough to influence a presidential election. The alleged exceptions are Kennedy Vs. Nixon, Bush Vs. Gore, and at least one Obama election. Those elections might have been decided by vote-rigging – say some people – although we can’t know for sure.

But something is different this year. This year we don’t have an election between two candidates that offer roughly the same outcome. This time we have a swamp-draining outsider looking to end term limits. And this outsider has been successfully branded by his opponent as the second-coming of Hitler. In this case, a rigged election is largely assured. Because, as I have taught you, shenanigans always happen when you have the following situation:

1. Huge upside gain from cheating.

2. Opportunity

3. Low odds of getting caught, or low cost of getting caught.

That’s our situation today. And while I claim no knowledge of how our voting system aggregates the votes from each precinct, I know software is involved at a number of steps. And that means a handful of people have the power to flip a bit and change the count, probably without being discovered. And those people are under the impression that rigging the election might be the only way to keep the next Hitler out of office. They have moral cover to cheat in this election.

If you had a chance to kill Hitler – even if you knew you might die in the attempt – wouldn’t you do it to save the world? I would. If I knew I could save millions of people I would certainly risk my life to kill Hitler.

And if I were a software engineer, I would certainly write some software to do it. That’s an easy decision if you think you are saving the world from Hitler.

But I’ll ask Trump supporters to stay cool on election day even if they suspect shenanigans. Wait for exit polls. Let the truth trickle out. If there is one thing we know in the age of hot mics and Wikileaks and Project Veritas, the truth will find us. It might take its time, so be patient.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Rick_Hunter posted:

Did he really burn through it or did he use it for something like a buying a house?
No, he burned through it by loaning it to people who can't pay him back and to buy motorcycles and cars that he has since had to sell. Still renting a crappy little house.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

There's no need for betting, it's already public knowledge that he became the legal guardian of an underage Hawaiian teen for the purposes of having sex with her.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Scott Adams is all in on the election being rigged, so that's probably what he'll claim if Hillary wins tomorrow.

You know, considering how much Adams is wanking about persuasion, you'd think he would be on board with this. After all, if Clinton has managed to persuade the majority of the country to the point where they would be willing to commit serious felonies on her behalf without even any prompting, wouldn't that make her the true master persuader? :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

You know, considering how much Adams is wanking about persuasion, you'd think he would be on board with this. After all, if Clinton has managed to persuade the majority of the country to the point where they would be willing to commit serious felonies on her behalf without even any prompting, wouldn't that make her the true master persuader? :allears:

He's already addressed this. If Hillary does it then it's bad persuasion because she is a bad person.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm all in on Scott Adams dying a terribly depressed and lonely man.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CommieGIR posted:

Ted Nugent successfully predicts that Florida will go blue, maybe he should take Nate's job

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

Sounds like he's halfway there!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Hanging from a necktie in the Dilbert head tower surrounded by Dilberito wrappers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Adams is just a hair away from completely melting down when his fellow "master persuader" old dumb white man loses to some inferior woman tommorow.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

Hanging from a necktie in the Dilbert head tower surrounded by Dilberito wrappers.

Please, it's a lanyard now.

Geostomp posted:

Adams is just a hair away from completely melting down when his fellow "master persuader" old dumb white man loses to some inferior woman tommorow.

I was in the "ho ho I was actually for Clinton all along puppets :smugdog:" excuse camp but talking about a rigged election implies he's actually totally down the rabbit hole and won't be able to hold back if Trump loses. I hope whoever monitors his blog catches what he puts up when they call it because I wouldn't be surprised if he hastily removes it once he cools down.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People like that have no bottom. He'll just get more and more grotesque until enough papers dump him that the syndicate stops carrying his trash. Then he'll start saying even worse things.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that his lovely outlook has started to bleed (more so) into his comic should really cause more papers to question it. I'm hoping people stop reading now that he's putting "vacation havers" into his ever growing category of idiots. I'm sure there's other stuff but gently caress reading that comic more to find out.

But I guess if Mallard Filmore and Prickly City have a place in the papers for right wing trash denigrating the readers he'll be fine.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 7, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

I'm hoping people stop reading now that he's putting "vacation havers" into his ever growing category of idiots.

The most infuriating thing Adams has ever said is "I managed my career well, therefore I don't need to take a vacation."

What a loving idiot.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder Ted Nugent shat his pants to dodge the draft.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
:stare:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glenn-beck-obama-made-me-better-man

quote:

It seems Glenn Beck likes to catch everyone off guard every once in a while with a compassionate revelation or opposition to the conservative mainstream.

The pundit has been outspoken about his dislike for Donald Trump, has criticizedRepublicans for refusing to consider President Obama's Supreme Court nominee, and he has even urged"empathy" for the Black Lives Matter movement.

And now, Beck — who once said that Obama has a "a deep-seated hatred for white people" — says that the President has made him a better person.

"I did a lot of freaking out about Barack Obama," the conservative pundit told the New Yorker in a recent interview. “Obama made me a better man.”

Beck said that he regrets calling Obama a racist and recognizes that it's hard to relate to the experiences of African Americans.

“There are things unique to the African-American experience that I cannot relate to,” he told the New Yorker. “I had to listen to them.”

Beck praised Michelle Obama's campaign speeches warning of the dangers of Donald Trump, specifically the first lady's speech in New Hampshire blasting Trump over his vulgar comments on a now-notorious 2005 tape.

“She didn’t say, ‘The government should do X, Y, or Z.’ She said, ‘We,’ ‘Us’—without a political party. ‘We are better.’ ‘We need to stop this,’ ” he told the New Yorker. “It had to do with ‘Who are you as a human being?’ ‘How do you view women?’ Brilliant speech."

“That was a moment that transcended all political thought," he added.

The conservative, who has rejected Trump as the Republican nominee, also explained why he can't support Trump. He told the New Yorker that Trump once called him into a guest room at his Mar-A-Lago resort and then telephoned him.

“We had this weird, almost Howard Hughes-like conversation,” Beck told the New Yorker.

He said the conversation left him thinking Trump is crazy.

“This guy is dangerously unhinged,” Beck told the New Yorker. “And, for all the things people have said about me over the years, I should be able to spot Dangerously Unhinged.”

:catstare:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

OK, who replaced him with a liberally-raised clone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

OK, who replaced him with a liberally-raised clone?

It's possible that being outside of the conservative echo chamber long enough has allowed him to not be such a loving loon.