Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
thoughts on SF prop H?

https://ballotpedia.org/San_Francisco,_California,_Establishment_of_a_Public_Advocate_Office_Amendment,_Proposition_H_(November_2016)

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Drifter posted:

I don't like calling alcohol and cigarette taxes 'sin'/vice taxes because it implies that they're taxed because of jealousy or some poo poo. Alcohol and cigs are shown to actually hurt people unrelated to their use. We should ban their public use, but that's just a dumb idea that would never work. Taxes on cigs and alcohol and I guess the soda tax are sort of like a gasoline tax...they help offset the cost of damage done through their use - it's just helping with longer term economic costs. Except they're taxed to excise the use (ideally) rather than to maintain use, in the case of gas and road infrastructure.
It's weird how "The people who use government services should be the ones who pay for them" is a libertarian pipe dream, except when ostensible liberals are paternalistically slapping the wrists of the poor, $2 per pack at a time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lancemantis posted:

They could have just made a website with this in gigantic font as aesthetics and property values are the real reasons behind their entire arguments.

I mean I like hiking in the woods close by too but its a perfectly reasonable plan to want to thin out invasive species and restore more native environments. Most of the parks closest to me are just hilly oak savanna and that's pretty aesthetically pleasing in its own right.

I wonder what they think will happen to their property values when the entire loving neighborhood burns down.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
No but you see

quote:

Claim: Eucalyptus trees pose a greater fire danger than other trees.

Conclusion: FALSE. All the trees slated for removal, including Eucalyptus, help to prevent, rather than cause, wildfire.

Analysis: The proponents of this plan have worked tirelessly to turn public opinion in the East Bay against Eucalyptus trees since the Firestorm of 1991. Chief among their claims is that these trees were to blame for the ferocity of that fire given that they possess unusually high quantities of volatile oils that make them more flammable and prone to shooting off embers which enable the spread of fire. These claims have been repeated so many times they are often regarded as self-evident, even though the science does not support them. Bay laurels, a preferred species by “native” plant advocates, in fact possess a higher oil content than Eucalyptus, Acacia, and Monterey Pine and yet these trees will not be removed. According to Cornell University studies, essential/volatile oils in blue gum eucalyptus leaves range from less than 1.5 to over 3.5%. While the leaves of native California bay laurel trees contain 7.5% of essential/volatile oils, more than twice the amount of oil in leaves of blue gums. Once again, Fire Fighter Maloney is instructive: "Such a determination is putting ideological or economic considerations ahead of the safety of firefighters and the public, and gives rise to propagandistic statements which are designed to scare the public, which have no basis in fire science... Fire Science has proven that every living tree - regardless of its species - due to its moisture content and canopy coverage of ground fuels, contributes to wildfire hazard mitigation."

Moreover, Eucalyptus trees are an important nesting site for hawks, owls and other birds and are one of the few sources of nectar for Northern California bees in the winter. Over 100 species of birds use Eucalyptus trees as habitat, Monarch butterflies depend on Eucalyptus during the winter, and Eucalyptus trees increase biodiversity. A 1990 survey in Tilden Park found 38 different species beneath the main canopy of Eucalyptus forests, compared to only 18 in Oak woodlands. They also prevent soil erosion in the hills, trap particulate pollution all year around, and sequester carbon.

quote:

Analysis: The plan will not eliminate fire “fuel load” but instead render it highly flammable. Healthy, moisture-rich, fire-resistant trees are to be chopped down and chipped, their remains spread about sun-scorched hillsides at a depth of up to two feet, creating carpets of dried out tinder throughout the hills. According to David Maloney, former Oakland firefighter and Chief of Fire Prevention at the Oakland Army base, "Fire Science has proven that every living tree - regardless of its species - due to its moisture content and canopy coverage of ground fuelscontributes to wildfire hazard mitigation." (http://goo.gl/hm9Jp8.) For example, fog drip falling from Monterey Pines in the East Bay has been measured at over 10 inches per year. In San Francisco, fog drip in the Eucalyptus forest was measured at over 16 inches per year.

The Scripps Ranch fire of 2003, for example, (see photo below) burned 150 homes, but not Eucalyptus trees abutting many of those homes. When Angel Island erupted in flames in 2008, it was the areas where the Eucalyptus were cut down that burned; burned to the very edge of the Eucalyptus forest, then stopped for lack of fuel: “At the edge of the burn belt lie strips of intact tree groves…a torched swath intercut with untouched forest,” reported the San Francisco Chronicle. A 1991 Oakland Firestorm survivor writes: "I was a student at Cal during the 1991 fires. I lived in the Berkeley hills above campus near Strawberry Canyon. The Eucalyptus and other trees saved the houses on my street by serving as a barrier between us and the fire."

Screw what plenty of Australians know and the National Park Services own studies say, I have freshman level comparisons and some anecdotal opinions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The League of Women Voters supports it and Dianne Feinstein opposes it, so it sounds like a slam dunk yes vote to me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's weird how "The people who use government services should be the ones who pay for them" is a libertarian pipe dream, except when ostensible liberals are paternalistically slapping the wrists of the poor, $2 per pack at a time.

Please do explain how a libertarian utopia would ensure that medical bills for lifelong smokers would be placed on the shoulders of those who incur them. Would they make sure the cost of cigarettes are high, like is proposed, even though they're cheap to manufacture and cigarette companies would gladly underprice their product to get people addicted? Or would they eliminate taxpayer-funded medical care and force the poor to either pay their outrageously expensive American medical bills themselves, or try and get insurance they can't afford because it isn't regulated and the industry has ridiculously high premiums and pre-existing conditions? Either way, I'd love to hear you justify how that way of government is fairer and more responsible to the least fortunate among us than those mean liberals and their awful nanny state tsk-tsking at them for their body-destroying chemical habit.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Do the same for wine

Oh wait it's currently fashionable w/ rich people? Well nevermind then

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Progressive JPEG posted:

Do the same for wine

https://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub92.pdf

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Yes, however:

Alcoholic Beverage Tax
Categories Rate Per Wine Gallon (231 cubic in => 3.785L)
July 15, 1991 – Present
Distilled Spirits (100 proof or less) $3.30
Distilled Spirits (over 100 proof) $6.60
Beer $0.20
Wine $0.20
Sparkling hard cider $0.20
Champagne and sparkling wine $0.30

At that rate for wine it works out to about $0.04 per 750ml bottle, or less than half the CRV for the bottle itself. So like I said...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yes, however:

Alcoholic Beverage Tax
July 15, 1991 – Present
Beer $0.20
Wine $0.20

At that rate for wine it works out to about $0.04 per 750ml bottle, or less than half the CRV for the bottle itself. So like I said...

Yeah but your comment made it seem like we didn't tax wine because the rich like it, when that doesn't seem true at all.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Do the same for wine

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yes, however:

Alcoholic Beverage Tax
July 15, 1991 – Present
Beer $0.20
Wine $0.20

Feel free to write the proposition, then, you edgy thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm saying tax it at lets say $1/bottle rather than $0.04/bottle

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm saying tax it at lets say $1/bottle rather than $0.04/bottle

Considering the price at which wine is normally bought by rich people, that is most definitely a regressive tax.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Three Buck Chuck just doesn't have the same ring to it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Speaking of CRV, let's crank that poo poo up to a dollar. Be a real shot in the arm for the people who go around collecting cans.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Speaking of CRV, let's crank that poo poo up to a dollar. Be a real shot in the arm for the people who go around collecting cans.

I'd actually like to hear about the consequences of doing something like this, perhaps as an alternative to a soda tax.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Scott Wiener vs. Jane Kim?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd actually like to hear about the consequences of doing something like this, perhaps as an alternative to a soda tax.
Germany has a really cool CRV system, pretty much ~27 cents on all plastic bottles (even water), cans, etc, and all the grocery stores have vending-machines where you put them in and get your money back right there, I think its a "if you sell it, you must accept a return on it" system tho not sure on the actual law itself. I just remember being very impressed that they had such a cool thorough crv system when I was there. A lot of other European countries have similar as well.

The main problem with CRV in California (and other states) is that you basically have to drive to the podunk outskirts of town to a recycling center, and often wait in a long smelly line just to get your return. This means you usually have to stockpile a lot of cans to make it even worthwhile to make that trip, and many people do not have room to stockpile a bunch of cans and then dedicate the time to go out for that long trip. Effectively it is just sort of an extra tax on the average person and most people will just opt to throw it in their recycling dumpster instead since it's still not quite worth the while unless you're literally unemployed or have a big yard to keep a giant garbage can full of cans.

Upping CRV to match many European countries of like 25 cents on all bottles and cans wouldn't be bad at all, but there must be requirements that stores that sell bottles/cans also must accept them for CRV return so it's very convenient for everyone to do so (like those reverse vending machines)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xaris posted:

Germany has a really cool CRV system, pretty much ~27 cents on all plastic bottles (even water), cans, etc, and all the grocery stores have vending-machines where you put them in and get your money back right there, I think its a "if you sell it, you must accept a return on it" system tho not sure on the actual law itself. I just remember being very impressed that they had such a cool thorough crv system when I was there. A lot of other European countries have similar as well.

The main problem with CRV in California (and other states) is that you basically have to drive to the podunk outskirts of town to a recycling center, and often wait in a long smelly line just to get your return. This means you usually have to stockpile a lot of cans to make it even worthwhile to make that trip, and many people do not have room to stockpile a bunch of cans and then dedicate the time to go out for that long trip. Most people will just opt to throw it in their recycling dumpster instead or not even bother.

Upping CRV to match many European countries of like 25 cents on all bottles and cans wouldn't be bad at all, but there must be requirements that stores that sell bottles/cans also must accept them for CRV return so it's very convenient for everyone to do so (like those reverse vending machines)

Oregon has that I think, at least all the Safeways near here have a bottle recycling thing. They only take glass though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

Oregon has that I think, at least all the Safeways near here have a bottle recycling thing. They only take glass though.
When I lived in Massachusetts, they had the same "if you sell it, you must accept it" policy on recyclables and most places would give you the deposit on other stuff as well. It was the first place I ever reliably retrieved the deposit. Nowadays I just dump deposit bottles in the recycling. IIRC reclaiming deposits is one of the things that keeps recycling centers afloat, now that the price for newsprint has crashed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd be in favor of increasing the CRV but the problem is that it would further incentivise homeless people to collect them from garbage cans. NIMBY and gently caress The Poors would flip their poo poo at the thought of some transient rooting through their recycling bin to snag 80˘ worth of aluminum cans.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that we should implement a CRV on cigarettes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Panfilo posted:

I'd be in favor of increasing the CRV but the problem is that it would further incentivise homeless people to collect them from garbage cans.
That's not a problem if it's convenient, and worthwhile for most people, to refund them and thus most people do. Just bring a reusable bag with your 10-20 cans/bottles, or whatever since the last time you went to a grocery store, and get your $2.5 to $5 back right there.

It's the current system lovely system we have (in California) that incentives, regardless of whatever the CRV is.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Please do explain how a libertarian utopia would ensure that medical bills for lifelong smokers would be placed on the shoulders of those who incur them. Would they make sure the cost of cigarettes are high, like is proposed, even though they're cheap to manufacture and cigarette companies would gladly underprice their product to get people addicted? Or would they eliminate taxpayer-funded medical care and force the poor to either pay their outrageously expensive American medical bills themselves, or try and get insurance they can't afford because it isn't regulated and the industry has ridiculously high premiums and pre-existing conditions? Either way, I'd love to hear you justify how that way of government is fairer and more responsible to the least fortunate among us than those mean liberals and their awful nanny state tsk-tsking at them for their body-destroying chemical habit.
Well, the true libertarian solution would be to let the market determine the price of both cigarettes and healthcare, but I don't find the alternative of the government deciding which citizens' behavior is going to cause the most expense for the state and extracting money from them via regressive taxation to be particularly noble either. Drifter's argument was that taxes on soda/cigarettes/booze are good because that way the people who use them are offsetting their future use of the healthcare system. The first time I heard the argument that people who utilize government services should be the ones to pay for them, it was homeowners arguing that they shouldn't have to subsidize the local public school because their kids didn't go there. It's odd seeing people doing mental gymnastics to excuse Bloomberg's soda tax on an economic basis using similar logic.

It's the same "but my taxes might go up :qq:" argument that people ITT get mad about, except apparently it's OK when you phrase it as being about curing the poor of their filthy habits.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I could see that hurting the microbrew. 6 extra dollars for a six pack, where my average purchase for a pack is already at 10-15 dollars, I'd end up just switching to whisky.

Honestly taxing the rich is just always the better option.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Honestly eating the rich is just always the better option.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

The main problem with CRV in California (and other states) is that you basically have to drive to the podunk outskirts of town to a recycling center, and often wait in a long smelly line just to get your return. This means you usually have to stockpile a lot of cans to make it even worthwhile to make that trip, and many people do not have room to stockpile a bunch of cans and then dedicate the time to go out for that long trip. Effectively it is just sort of an extra tax on the average person and most people will just opt to throw it in their recycling dumpster instead since it's still not quite worth the while unless you're literally unemployed or have a big yard to keep a giant garbage can full of cans.

I recently tried to cash in the beer bottles left at my house after a Halloween party, and I made four separate trips to the town's recycling center. I was told on the first trip that the hours listed for the recycling center online were wrong and it was closed, on the second trip that the recycling center decided to close early that day, on the third trip that they weren't accepting bottles that day, and on the fourth trip that the line was well over an hour long. After all that I just decided that it wasn't worth the $7.50 or whatever I was going to get from the recycling center so I just threw the ~150 bottles in the recycling bin. I couldn't believe how annoying the whole process was.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The CRV is factored in to your trash pickup bill because the garbage man assumes that he will be getting some money back after he picks up your cans and bottles. If everyone brought their own bottles and cans to the recycling center then your bill would eventually have to go up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

withak posted:

The CRV is factored in to your trash pickup bill because the garbage man assumes that he will be getting some money back after he picks up your cans and bottles. If everyone brought their own bottles and cans to the recycling center then your bill would eventually have to go up.

Also the energy effiency on glass recycling is really marginal so putting it in your regular recycling is probably better than driving to a drop-off location.

Plastics and metals are the more energy effective to recycle and metals sometimes can even be profitable. Taking anything above #3 plastic is not profitable afaik. Still good for the environment.

Getting organic wastes out of landfills is another huge and important area since it is a big source of climate emissions and compost is a decent output product.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, the true libertarian solution would be to let the market determine the price of both cigarettes and healthcare, but I don't find the alternative of the government deciding which citizens' behavior is going to cause the most expense for the state and extracting money from them via regressive taxation to be particularly noble either. Drifter's argument was that taxes on soda/cigarettes/booze are good because that way the people who use them are offsetting their future use of the healthcare system. The first time I heard the argument that people who utilize government services should be the ones to pay for them, it was homeowners arguing that they shouldn't have to subsidize the local public school because their kids didn't go there. It's odd seeing people doing mental gymnastics to excuse Bloomberg's soda tax on an economic basis using similar logic.

It's the same "but my taxes might go up :qq:" argument that people ITT get mad about, except apparently it's OK when you phrase it as being about curing the poor of their filthy habits.

I actually agree with subsidizing the local school systems through taxes, regardless of whether you have kids going there or not. I think doing something that harms others in addition to yourself should be taxed out to prevent use.

Soda is a special case as it really only kinda hurts you alone, but it's hosed up enough that it should be taxed to reduce use.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I know there have been a few of you guys who have posted your takes on all of the statewide ballot initiatives earlier in the thread, but I'm lazy and don't feel like flipping back through 100 pages of recycling and gun chat, so could someone re-post their list?

Preferably someone like Leperflesh, since he consistently seems to know what the gently caress he's talking about. Thanks!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BCRock posted:

I know there have been a few of you guys who have posted your takes on all of the statewide ballot initiatives earlier in the thread, but I'm lazy and don't feel like flipping back through 100 pages of recycling and gun chat, so could someone re-post their list?

Preferably someone like Leperflesh, since he consistently seems to know what the gently caress he's talking about. Thanks!
Pete sums it up better than any goon ever could anyways, so just read his list as it's pretty much the best way to vote. Only one worth taking issue and sitting down and thinking about it yourself is 61

http://www.peterates.com/props-1116.shtml

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks.
code:
Pete recommends:
51	 	YES	 	School Construction Bonds
52	 	NO	 	Extend Medi-Cal Hospital Fee
53	 	NO	 	Voter Approval of Revenue Bonds
54	 	YES	 	72-Hour Legislation Review Period
55	 	YES	 	Continue Tax on Incomes Over $263,000
56	 	YES	 	Increase Cigarette Tax
57	 	YES	 	Parole and Juvenile Justice Reform
58	 	YES	 	Allow Bilingual Education
59	 	YES	 	Register Disapproval of "Citizens United"
60	 	NO	 	Condoms in Porn Videos
61	 	NO	 	Limit Prescription Drug Prices Paid by State
62	 	YES	 	Repeal Death Penalty
63	 	YES	 	Keeping Guns from Those Who Shouldn't Have Them
64	 	YES	 	Legalize Recreational Marijuana
65	 	NO	 	Sabotage Prop 67
66	 	NO	 	Reduce Barriers to Capital Punishment
67	 	YES	 	Ban Single-Use Plastic Grocery Bags
This almost exactly matches what I have down on my sample ballot right now. Anyone strongly disagree with any of these and want to share their reasoning?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BCRock posted:

Thanks.
code:
Pete recommends:
This almost exactly matches what I have down on my sample ballot right now. Anyone strongly disagree with any of these and want to share their reasoning?

I could personally use some convincing on the cigarette tax. I'm already on the fence when it comes to cigarette taxes because they tend to hit low-income users more heavily, even though I'm of course in favor of disincentivizing smoking through taxes.

What I'm really not in favor of is the fact that the proposition has a 70% tax on vaping packaged into it. If the primary function of taxes like these are to curb unhealthy behaviors that'll cost taxpayers more down the line, I'd want to see some more solid evidence that vaping has a sufficiently negative impact on human health.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Xaris posted:

Pete sums it up better than any goon ever could anyways, so just read his list as it's pretty much the best way to vote. Only one worth taking issue and sitting down and thinking about it yourself is 61

http://www.peterates.com/props-1116.shtml

You need to think about 61? How can you arrive at anything but no? Do we need price controls on prescription drugs? Yes. Does prop 61 do a good job of controlling prices? No.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bueno Papi posted:

You need to think about 61? How can you arrive at anything but no? Do we need price controls on prescription drugs? Yes. Does prop 61 do a good job of controlling prices? No.
Because ultimately it's an experiment, that probably won't do anything at all but an experiment none the less, but more importantly and pushing agenda of "hey we need to do something about this loving poo poo!" and encouraging other states and ultimately federal level to do something, and hopefully getting further propositions (or ideally legislature at the state level seeing how the public is in support of it) that improve and extend price controls to be better.

Voting No sends a signal that "hey california doesn't even want price controls lmao what hope do we have in podunky state?" and even further propositions taking it too safe because hey the last one failed so we need to make it even weaker! No argument it doesn't do anything itself, that doesn't mean legislature won't take another look given huge public support for trying something and try to improve it with state laws.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 8, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BCRock posted:

Thanks.
code:

Pete recommends:

Why those positions on 51, 52 and 65? I've been leaning the opposite on those three. (51 because of the handout to builders, 52 because of the net good though I agree putting it as a prop is a problem, and 65 because I don't know why we should be guaranteeing profit for stores)

I guess Pete is of the "anything that mandates where taxes get spent is a bad thing that shouldn't have gone to the voters in the first place so I'll automatically reject it" mindset? Not that I fault him if that's the case. It's one of the reasons I'm undecided on 52. But I don't see how 65 undermines 67. Worst case stores just don't offer the option because it's not cost-effective, which is still a net good for the environment.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Xaris posted:

Voting No sends a signal that "hey california doesn't even want price controls lmao what hope do we have in podunky state?" and even further propositions taking it too safe because hey the last one failed so we need to make it even weaker! No argument it doesn't do anything itself, that doesn't mean legislature won't take another look given huge public support for trying something and try to improve it with state laws.

Remember that this comes after the 2014 prop where we voted down giving the state the right to reject health care increases, so this cycle is already ongoing.

Still it's easy to see how it could put California in a bind since there's nothing that forces drug companies to play along.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Xaris posted:

Because ultimately it's an experiment, that probably won't do anything at all but an experiment none the less, but more importantly and pushing agenda of "hey we need to do something about this loving poo poo!" and encouraging other states and ultimately federal level to do something, and hopefully getting further propositions (or ideally legislature at the state level seeing how the public is in support of it) that improve and extend price controls to be better.

This is basically the mindset I've ended up with regarding 61. I think keeping prescription drug prices in the headlines, especially if its about how the drug companies are doing X or Y, is a good thing. This might be one of those "any publicity is good publicity", and I have to think that Big Pharma has a "any publicity is bad publicity" perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BCRock posted:

:laffo: Seriously? He's archetype of a poster that continually has to walk things back after people with experience in the real world chime in, and his high flying theories and ideals are dashed on the rocks of how the world actually works.

BCRock posted:

56: Stop trying to police the poor by making things you don't want them to do more expensive via regressive taxation. Sack up and make smoking illegal, or don't.

61: If you are voting for a proposition "as an experiment" or "to send a message", you are directly contributing to our laws being impenatrable and ineffective. Editorializing is for blogs, not the California codes.

63: Already addressed by the legislature this year. A vanity prop by Newsom to lay the groundwork for his gubernatorial run, which should be reason enough to vote no. No one can actually explain how it would reduce gun crime. Makes it illegal to not report being the victim of a crime (having a gun stolen) which a place as FTP as DnD should be able to understand is a terrible precedent. Vote no if you have a philosophy of governed more coherent than "gently caress gun owners."