Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zore posted:

Wait, where are you getting this?

Are these normal abilities now? Wha?

it was on 4chan, the thread seems to have been deleted now though so take it with a grain of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

korusan posted:

Gengar has Cursed Body now, lmao thanks for the nerf Game Freak

TBF Gengar having levitate has never made sense.

That chunky ghost doesn't float.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kelp Plankton posted:

Going by the demo they dropped 3D support entirely for sun/moon. So yeah 2DS won't be missing out

Unless they relegated it to n3ds only the pokemon snap minigame has 3d

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TheKingofSprings posted:

TBF Gengar having levitate has never made sense.

That chunky ghost doesn't float.

he floats at ground level, and occasionally below it

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
RIP OU Gengar. You were the only holdout from Gen 1 that made it to OU every generation, but alas, Gen 7 was not to be, it seems.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

RIP OU Gengar. You were the only holdout from Gen 1 that made it to OU every generation, but alas, Gen 7 was not to be, it seems.

for all we know Cursed Body could have been bumped to 100% chance of disable on contact

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dexnav is gone right. goodbye dexnav which was insanely good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Mega Gengar still exists and is stupidly terrifying

Wait does Mega Gengar even exist in Gen 7

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

korusan posted:

for all we know Cursed Body could have been bumped to 100% chance of disable on contact

Even still, it eliminates his ability to switch in on Earthquake, AND effectively gives him one of the worst weaknesses to have in the game. I don't think with all of the power creep going on that he could remain OU with that additional weakness. There's plenty of other ghosts out there with just as good of a movepool and similar if not better stats. Levitate was really what was keeping him so strong.

I might be wrong though, because for all we know he could learn a new amazing move or something.

edit: Mega Gengar is good because Shadow Tag is insane, but also because it can switch in on normal, fighting, and ground moves as Gengar and then Mega Evolve on the switch. Loss of levitate would still really hurt Mega Gengar. Maybe enough to actually make him OU viable. Regular Gengar though would probably go the way of the dodo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also I thought Lycanroc had vital spirit/keen eye. No guard Stone miss on a fast poke is going to be insane.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kurieg posted:

Also I thought Lycanroc had vital spirit/keen eye. No guard Stone miss on a fast poke is going to be insane.

Bulbapedia agrees.

Keen Eye or Sand Rush
Midday Form

Keen Eye or Vital Spirit
Midnight Form

Looks like the Gengar stuff was BS too, then. Let's all breathe a sigh of relief.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Those are pretty fake. The dude with the early copy left the first island and took a break, he hasn't even met a Ghastly and has no way of dumping the game beyond playing through and taking pics.

The only stat stuff we know is that Rowlet's evolution is slower than Quilladin

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Reinanigans posted:

Starmie has been OU for six gens straight as well

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

less laughter posted:

Starmie has been OU for six gens straight as well

I could've sworn that it went to UU for at least a short while during one of the generations, but I suppose what matters is in what tier it ended up. So yeah, Starmie and Gengar. Just two incredibly well balanced, well designed murder machines.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I like gravity teams so Stone Edge never missing is a constant for me, actually.

It's not as much of a game changer as you'd hope, sadly. (It doesn't help I'm bad at pokemon)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm really fascinated by how dumb Pokemon fan gamess are.

PYF bad Fakemon/character/scenario from a bad fan game you've played.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Deified Data posted:

Your mom.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Deified Data posted:

[The entirety of Uranium]

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I'm really fascinated by how dumb Pokemon fan gamess are.

druddigon

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I'm still angry that Litten evolution basically is Fire/Fighting, even if they changed its type. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's just a duck with a different subtype apparently. Who ever heard of a WRESTLER being a dark type and not a fighting type?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

oddium posted:

druddigon

gently caress you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'm still angry that Litten evolution basically is Fire/Fighting, even if they changed its type. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's just a duck with a different subtype apparently. Who ever heard of a WRESTLER being a dark type and not a fighting type?

idiot, moron, fool

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

HeartNotes3 posted:

you goddamn fire/fighting racist

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HeartNotes3 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Has smogon existed since gen 1?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think a lot of pokemon players use the internet in 1996.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

korusan posted:

Torkoal with Drought

God is good.

But gently caress spoilers. Looks like I'm out.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I sure as hell did as a six year old.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

QuasiQuack posted:

i'm pretty sure Gen 3 was the first gen with a real centralized discussion of stuff like that but I might be wrong. afaik when people say things like "OU in gen 1" they mean people who play those metas now

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I remember when NetBattle, and later Shoddy Battle, were the battle sims for Pokémon.

I feel like Net Battle had a Smogon server back in Gen 3, though I can't tell you how far into competitive things were way back when. I can definitely say Smogon had a lot of traction in Gen 4.

It was only yesterday reading posts on how Scizor gaining Bullet Punch in Platinum made it shoot up in usage.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tired Moritz posted:

I did!
I'm old though

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
First time using the internet for anything Pokemon-related was looking up Gameshark codes for gen 2 and getting Celebi.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The internet is where I learned about (and played) Gold and Silver before most people I knew.

I'm glad we have international releases now, but back then the fact that there was another pokemon game out in Japan but not here seemed so wild.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tired Moritz posted:

The internet was like 40% Pokémon for the red/blue era through gold/silver

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

The internet is where I learned about (and played) Gold and Silver before most people I knew.

Let me tell you, using some move on my level 5 totodile and seeing it shoot laser beams across the screen made me assume it was MUCH better than what it turned out to be (leer)

Also where the HECK are more leaks, i need stats!!!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i made a website that was just 3d models of pokemon i had lifted from somewhere else

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wasn't sure whether to use the owl or the cat but if the owl is bad then I guess that's my choice made for me

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

QuasiQuack posted:

No, but we had Azure Heights (which is still around!). They basically paved the way for a lot of what was to come.

Tired Moritz posted:

Everyone had a Pokémon fan site back when RYB came out and they all had the same lovely set of rumors.

Countblanc posted:

i'm pretty sure Gen 3 was the first gen with a real centralized discussion of stuff like that but I might be wrong. afaik when people say things like "OU in gen 1" they mean people who play those metas now

The discussion was definitely there for Gen II. I think it was IGN who had the Pokémon of the Day Guy (and later Chick) who went in depth on competitive movesets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Let me tell you, using some move on my level 5 totodile and seeing it shoot laser beams across the screen made me assume it was MUCH better than what it turned out to be (leer)

I found a half translated rom, so it had the transliterations of Gen2 poke names, so it was super weird when I saw the real names.

The translation fell off around the island town, and I missed out on the Fly HM. I got all the way to and through Kanto without fly or understanding what anyone was saying. I was gravely disappointed when I couldn't get fly in the spot you got it in Gen 1.