Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
My phone tab is all paid up and everything and I've already got the Public Mobile sim ordered for that sweet deal.
So I walked into a Wind store to get my phone unlocked because I couldn't do it from the website (kept saying I had a bad IMEI despite the fact it was a phone provided by Wind)
But the guy was claiming that he would need to take my phone and give me a loaner (Not an option, I need my actual phone atm) which I thought was weird since every other time I've dealt with unlocking phones it's been "give IMEI -> pay fee -> ok unlocked". I can imagine that dealing with an IMEI problem might add some extra steps there but would handing in your phone really be one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you are a pretty lady I'd say they wanted to scrape your phone for nudes.

If you are a gross goon I'd say they'd still wanted to scrape your phone for nudes because WIND employees give me the creeps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Yeah don't give them your phone, they don't need to keep it for anything, and that really creeps me out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you are a pretty lady I'd say they wanted to scrape your phone for nudes.

If you are a gross goon I'd say they'd still wanted to scrape your phone for nudes because WIND employees give me the creeps.

Racist.

All kidding aside, everywhere except the Masonville/White Oaks kiosks have Indian/Pakistani/Sikh employees here.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 7, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

urf posted:

My phone tab is all paid up and everything and I've already got the Public Mobile sim ordered for that sweet deal.
So I walked into a Wind store to get my phone unlocked because I couldn't do it from the website (kept saying I had a bad IMEI despite the fact it was a phone provided by Wind)
But the guy was claiming that he would need to take my phone and give me a loaner (Not an option, I need my actual phone atm) which I thought was weird since every other time I've dealt with unlocking phones it's been "give IMEI -> pay fee -> ok unlocked". I can imagine that dealing with an IMEI problem might add some extra steps there but would handing in your phone really be one of them?

From the CRTC's The Wireless Code, Simplified

quote:

Unlocking

A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must

(a) for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.

(b)for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

Pretty cut & dry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone know what the best online stores are for off-contract phones?
I'm hoping Black Friday has some good deals, but the only sites I know of are Newegg.ca, and BHPhotoVideo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got moved to chatr from mobilicity over the weekend. Everything is.... slower? Any Vancouver migrated peeps chime in with their own experience. It's not unusable, but just about everything (web page load, forums app load) takes nearly a second longer for mobile optimized stuff (e.g. news.google.com) and sometimes a full 2-3 seconds longer for "normal" web pages.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I got moved to chatr from mobilicity over the weekend. Everything is.... slower? Any Vancouver migrated peeps chime in with their own experience. It's not unusable, but just about everything (web page load, forums app load) takes nearly a second longer for mobile optimized stuff (e.g. news.google.com) and sometimes a full 2-3 seconds longer for "normal" web pages.

Isn't mobilicity 3G only or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What the gently caress, I've gotten more spam calls in the week I've had Public Mobile than in the the three years I've had Wind.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 8, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

same things been happening to me as i transitioned from mobilicity to chatr. i don't think they have any control over it tbh

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
They're going to have to soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/crtc-telemarketing-calls-1.3839951

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've been pretty happy with the CRTC for the last couple of years. I don't feel Canadian anymore! :iit:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The nice thing about being on 711 speakout wireless is that the scammers and spammer know how much of a wastrel you are and don't bother contacting you.

And I look forward to Bell's invention of a $19.95 service addon that prefixes your incoming calls with a voice recording to 'Please do not scam this person you are calling"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mister Macys posted:

What the gently caress, I've gotten more spam calls in the week I've had Public Mobile than in the the three years I've had Wind.

Grab a script with fake info to lead the scammers on. Did you also get the 1-800-931-1026? They are the best

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just hang up without even answering the call, and report the number as spam.
Anybody with my number knows I prefer texting to calls, even when I'm not working.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DuckConference posted:

Isn't mobilicity 3G only or something?

Yeah, so I was thinking chatr would be a side-grade at best speedwise, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Though I think there might be throttling/shaping going on. I wrote that first message during business hours, but then I've noticed that during evenings it seems to be back to mobilicity era speed and responsiveness. This has been true every day since the switch (11/4), that I get slower speeds during business hours than at night so far.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I was getting 2.25 or so down and 1.2 up during lunchtime earlier. On the sky train it was about half this morning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Signed up and activated my Public Mobile plan last night and it's working great so far! $36 a month is almost half of what I was paying before.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I haven't seen throttling, but even with throttling this is so much cheaper IDGAF.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I have a pair of those $60 6gig data/Canada-wide calling/unlimited texting accounts on koodo right now and am thinking we will probably switch to public mobile. It seems like a waste to let those 6gb accounts go away never to be seen again though. Anyone know the process I'd go though to both keep my current numbers after porting to PM but also sell or transfer the koodo accounts to someone else?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't think you can. I'm pretty sure once you port the numbers over, the plans are lost.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Godinster posted:

I don't think you can. I'm pretty sure once you port the numbers over, the plans are lost.

This is my understanding, as well.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Considering jumping to this from my old Rogers 6GB/$60 plan...

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Godinster posted:

Jerks!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who would buy your plan and not just get a PubMo account themselves?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Who would buy your plan and not just get a PubMo account themselves?

Someone that wanted 6gb per month and cross Canada calling?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Or technical support.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I got to say, as a koodo $50/2GB member, that was an extremely painless transfer to the PM $40 plan. 5min total, and that includes acknowledgement from koodo that I left.

Only quirk is that you can't do a port of a koodo/telus number at the opening screen. So you get a new number, then log back into the PM portal, hit change number, and punch in your details.

Kapow, 30 seconds later number was ported and 30s after that got a "we're sorry you're leaving" email from koodo.

Seriously painless and getting the same speeds as I was before. Now I don't worry about running http://speedof.me tests any more.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Same here coming from Rogers, only I didn't even get an acknowledgement from Rogers. I just tried to log into my old account a couple days later and it said the account was closed.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

THC posted:

Same here coming from Rogers, only I didn't even get an acknowledgement from Rogers. I just tried to log into my old account a couple days later and it said the account was closed.

Me too. All I got from Rogers was a charge on my credit card for the last month of service. I had $80 left on my device balance but haven't been charged for it. I can't even go to the page that lists device balance now that my account is closed. I tried calling their support but no one was able to tell me if I still owe that $80 or if I'll be charged for it. :shrug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Hungry Computer posted:

Me too. All I got from Rogers was a charge on my credit card for the last month of service. I had $80 left on my device balance but haven't been charged for it. I can't even go to the page that lists device balance now that my account is closed. I tried calling their support but no one was able to tell me if I still owe that $80 or if I'll be charged for it. :shrug:

You'll have to pay. I went a step further and cancelled PAP to make sure they don't overbill me and credit me back in 2 months

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried calling Koodo and asking if they can match the PM plan, even a little? My wife and I are both paying for the Koodo $50 2GB plan and I really, really don't want to have to pay $250 up front to switch us both to PM.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

BANME.sh posted:

Has anyone tried calling Koodo and asking if they can match the PM plan, even a little?

Be the change you wish to see.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Not many people have had luck with price matching l, myself included but totally try and see. By now the churn rate is real for other carriers and they might be in a mood to keep subscriber numbers up at the expense of ARPU. ALL PRAISE THE HOLY ARPUUUUU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Has anyone tried calling Koodo and asking if they can match the PM plan, even a little?

They'd probably "match" it by cutting off your phone support. :rimshot:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Phone companies don't match. Haven't for a decade. Just do the MB plan.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Seriously painless and getting the same speeds as I was before. Now I don't worry about running http://speedof.me tests any more.

I've never used that site but it reports half the speed of Speedtest.net for the same network. What's up with that?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I use it since it's HTML5 based, so works very well cross platform.

Like any of the speed testing apps, it depends on the server you're connecting to. Ookla (speedtest.net) has basically forced all the major providers to host their own servers (or have gobs of idle bandwidth to the nearest node). Speedof.me isn't that lucky.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Koodo closed the MB plan loophole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Housh posted:

Koodo closed the MB plan loophole.

Thanks, CBC. Way to be on the people's side there. :fuckoff: