Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Got a chance to try a Touch demo station today, played The Climb again since it's what I played when I originally demoed a Rift.

At least as far as forward-facing goes these things definitely level the playing field functionally, and are in certain ways more comfortable to use. The pointing interface for selecting games felt natural, as did The Climb.

I still think Lighthouse tracking is superior, but good OpenVR titles should play equally well on each in most cases, especially with a third camera on Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This looks to be the final shipping unit for the Oculus touch:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
give

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I played a few hours of Obduction last night and I'm really enjoying it. I think there's a lot to be said for the art direction and fleshing out a world; this and Chronos have done a really good job giving the feeling you're in a real place.

Kind of wish you could grab levers and stuff with controllers, plus the height is off if you stand and I haven't bothered fiddling with the settings to get that to work so I can turn around instead of using the snap turning.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

I played a few hours of Obduction last night and I'm really enjoying it. I think there's a lot to be said for the art direction and fleshing out a world; this and Chronos have done a really good job giving the feeling you're in a real place.

Kind of wish you could grab levers and stuff with controllers, plus the height is off if you stand and I haven't bothered fiddling with the settings to get that to work so I can turn around instead of using the snap turning.

they just announced official vive support with motion control and roomscale so I shall be waiting on that

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah they just said Touch support is coming 2017
http://venturebeat.com/2016/11/07/myst-studio-cyan-announces-obduction-for-ps4-psvr-and-htc-vive/

posted:

Cyan has already begun work adding support for hand controls and room scale. Hand controls will allow players to interact directly with objects in the world — buttons, levers, doors, valves, etc. — even picking up objects to examine them. These new features will provide a more immersive experience to players with the appropriate capabilities (Vive, Oculus Touch, and PSVR).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

The Walrus posted:

they just announced official vive support with motion control and roomscale so I shall be waiting on that

Oh snap that makes me very excited, I've been kind of dying for content, my Vive has been collecting dust.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's really good. I do hope they continue to work on performance improvements though. It's fine in teleport and snap turning mode, but as soon as I enabled smooth thumb stick rotation and movement, it got noticeably worse and changing the gfx settings didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Oh snap that makes me very excited, I've been kind of dying for content, my Vive has been collecting dust.

did you see that starbreeze is making a full length john wick vr game?? i didn't know that was my dream game but now it is and I want it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What would you do in a John Wick VR game? Just constantly punch people?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

What would you do in a John Wick VR game? Just constantly punch shoot people.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They're making that, it's called SUPERHOT

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I want a Deer Hunter game, where you and someone else in multiplayer just put guns to your head while Vietnamese guys scream in your face.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's pretty much Onward in my experience.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm not sure how to handle knifegrab being allowed back into the thread and also bringing legit awesome info, so I'm just gonna roll with it.

Touch final shipment packaging is loving awesome.

I dropped $450 for a 1070 able to run VR, and have been waiting for Touch to buy VR. As soon as it's announced for shipping, I guess I'm buying the rift and touch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finally bought Obduction and fired it up in VR. I turned on smooth turning because I hate snap turning. I normally consider myself immune to VR sickness but this did a number on me. I think its mostly to do with the turning. I hit auto in the graphics and it put me mostly on medium. I have an overclocked 6600K and a GTX 1070SC which is overclocked a bit more. While turning, I can tell my performance is suffering. Turning is very slow and blurry. I'm not getting violently ill but I am getting a mild nauseous feeling in my stomach. Everything else is fine. I can move the left stick around all willy nilly with no ill effects. Once I turn with the right stick, not so great. It's not the turning that's getting me, there's just something about this game that is off. I'll have to mess with the graphics to get more performance and see if that helps. The slow speed of the turning is definitely annoying.

Other than that, this game is great. You really have to figure things out on your own and remember all the notes you read and what that one guy has said.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What will the future of VR be like, as it finally becomes popular over the next several years?

Room scale VR could make for some amazingly immersive games, but almost nobody will have more than 150 square feet of space available, and many people have much less than that. Life is Strange is one of my favorite games, and I was thinking that the game could be done in room scale VR very easily. Almost the entire game takes place in small locations, bedrooms, dorm rooms, short hallways, kitchen, living room, small garage, bathrooms. But of course, for most games this would be entirely clumsy and wouldn't really work well. You don't want to be constantly teleporting from spot to spot every time you walk around in a first person shooter.

Many of the most popular game types, like RPGs and first person shooters, would require the player to be able to move around in a vastly larger space than they have in their home, which would require them to be stationary while the world moves around them. Can this be done well enough to make it (nearly) as immersive as room scale VR? I know there are treadmills that are being developed which allow you to walk and run around the game world while not moving in real life. How well can this be done? There's also the possiblity of just sitting or standing still as the world moves around you using a joystick or whatever.

I'm interested in what will theoretically or likely be possible and workable over the near future, as technology improves and everyone figures out what is workable and what isn't. I believe VR gaming will substantially replace 2D gaming for a large percentage of gamers over the next decade. What will it look like once this has happened?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Hope for neural attachments because most gamers don't want to move around when they can sit in place with their controllers and eat Doritos and consume mountain dew.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hope for neural attachments because most gamers don't want to move around when they can sit in place with their controllers and eat Doritos and consume mountain dew.

This is science fiction, of course. What will it really be like?

I don't want to be running around, either. I can play games for hours, but if I had to be running and waving my arms around, I'd probably be exhausted in 10 minutes and that would be it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

What will the future of VR be like, as it finally becomes popular over the next several years?

Room scale VR could make for some amazingly immersive games, but almost nobody will have more than 150 square feet of space available, and many people have much less than that. Life is Strange is one of my favorite games, and I was thinking that the game could be done in room scale VR very easily. Almost the entire game takes place in small locations, bedrooms, dorm rooms, short hallways, kitchen, living room, small garage, bathrooms. But of course, for most games this would be entirely clumsy and wouldn't really work well. You don't want to be constantly teleporting from spot to spot every time you walk around in a first person shooter.

Many of the most popular game types, like RPGs and first person shooters, would require the player to be able to move around in a vastly larger space than they have in their home, which would require them to be stationary while the world moves around them. Can this be done well enough to make it (nearly) as immersive as room scale VR? I know there are treadmills that are being developed which allow you to walk and run around the game world while not moving in real life. How well can this be done? There's also the possiblity of just sitting or standing still as the world moves around you using a joystick or whatever.

I'm interested in what will theoretically or likely be possible and workable over the near future, as technology improves and everyone figures out what is workable and what isn't. I believe VR gaming will substantially replace 2D gaming for a large percentage of gamers over the next decade. What will it look like once this has happened?

This sounded interesting back in March: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11220836/samsung-etrim-4d-headphones-movement-vr-inner-ear

No idea how far off a consumer version is

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if the Pascal stuff for boosting VR performance made it into Obduction? I know it was planned a ways back but after the release delay I'm not seeing anything in some quick googles for final version. Shadow Warrior 2 may be the first title to use that tech and for 2D performance, which is kinda funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has any VR game started using it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah at some point the practicality of trying to fool your senses into thinking they are sensing something is going to become easier to just directly tell your brain what it is feeling and bypassing your meat parts. Ala Strange Days.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Brain interfacing is loving scary poo poo. If done well it's no problem. But if done badly...

Everyone's homework tonight: Go watch the Black Mirror episode Playtest. It's on Netflix.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Haven't seen it but I know the Inception effect would be a scary concern for VR, never knowing if you've truly returned to reality until you die.

It's also a hot topic for the animes and mangas.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I finally bought Obduction and fired it up in VR. I turned on smooth turning because I hate snap turning. I normally consider myself immune to VR sickness but this did a number on me. I think its mostly to do with the turning. I hit auto in the graphics and it put me mostly on medium. I have an overclocked 6600K and a GTX 1070SC which is overclocked a bit more. While turning, I can tell my performance is suffering. Turning is very slow and blurry. I'm not getting violently ill but I am getting a mild nauseous feeling in my stomach. Everything else is fine. I can move the left stick around all willy nilly with no ill effects. Once I turn with the right stick, not so great. It's not the turning that's getting me, there's just something about this game that is off. I'll have to mess with the graphics to get more performance and see if that helps. The slow speed of the turning is definitely annoying.

Other than that, this game is great. You really have to figure things out on your own and remember all the notes you read and what that one guy has said.

If you change the Input Sensitivity in controller options ingame that will increase the speed. If it's still not fast enough, apparently there is an .ini file that you can increase it even more.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Brain interfacing is loving scary poo poo. If done well it's no problem. But if done badly...

Everyone's homework tonight: Go watch the Black Mirror episode Playtest. It's on Netflix.

We might be getting close
https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/scientists-think-this-is-where-your-consciousness-lives/#confab-comment-34162356

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Please no, this is far too spooky!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Yeah at some point the practicality of trying to fool your senses into thinking they are sensing something is going to become easier to just directly tell your brain what it is feeling and bypassing your meat parts. Ala Strange Days.

None of us are going to live long enough to experience that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I think now more than ever we need virtual reality.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

On the contrary, no need for Fallout VR anymore, give it a few weeks.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Only a matter of time now:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Only a matter of time now:

Doesn't have an anime girl reflected in the goggles, img is inaccurate.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

Just play onward.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Palmer luckey must be pretty stoked right now

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

Palmer luckey must be pretty stoked right now

He's two for two on predicting the future, I'll trust him with anything now

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TheKnife posted:

He's two for two on predicting the future, I'll trust him with anything now

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Articles like this just reminds me of how early in human development and science we are at.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Are you kidding? You want to experience as much of this as you can to tell your grand children you survived Idiocracy (if you survive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The one real complaint I have about my Rift is rubbish black levels. They seem to be fine in some situations (e.g. the loading screen of Farlands) but terrible in others (Chronos). Has anyone else experienced this? I had a search and it seems people have managed to effect the problem through driver/OS reinstalls, but not permanently: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34368/cv1-screens-grey-not-black