Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Two princess
want to buy you flowers

said go ahead now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Quest For Glory II posted:

want to buy you flowers

said go ahead now

Thank you for this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

"12% chance to hit? I'll take it!
:xcom:, baby!"

:swoon:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dark Souls 2 is still my favorite.

Real talk, same

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I still don't like Dark Souls 2, it has so many lame bosses especially compared to 3. The PvP covenants were cool, but I'm much more invested in the boss battles and the only ones I liked were the skeletal chariot and the two rat bosses.

E: I never played the dlc tho, maybe that's where all the good bosses are hidden

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Not that I don't love having inspired your av, but you realize that's Kirby Superscare right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think kirby superscare was videogames halloween name

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not that I don't love having inspired your av, but you realize that's Kirby Superscare right

But they're the same person? :confused:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rookie mistake

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. DS2 has some neat areas, but very few bosses that are cool. Lost Sinner is probably my favorite boss...

Iundex Grundyr, Champion Grundyr, and Old Dragonslayer's Armor, are some of my favorite fights ever.

DS1>DS3>DS2

But Bloodborne is probably the best game. Not soulsgame. Game period.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite non-bloodborne souls boss is probably Fume knight or Champion Grundyr.

Bloodborne has so many great bosses that it isn't fair to the other souls games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The answer to "what is the best Souls game" is either DS2 or Bloodborne depending on whether you value the online experience or the single player adventure aspect more, respectively.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

The answer to "what is the best Souls game" is either DS2 or Bloodborne depending on whether you value the online experience or the single player adventure aspect more, respectively.

DS1 if you like the level design aspect more, BB if you like the combat aspect more.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm afraid I was Kirby Superscare for halloween :)

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Sorry in advance. There's no questions thread as far as I can tell. I just started to play elite dangerous again and i can't find the thread, do goons still play this? I prefer to get all my metagame info from goons and was hoping to find it all in the thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

DS1 if you like the level design aspect more, BB if you like the combat aspect more.

DS3 if you want every quality of life feature in one game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I'm afraid I was Kirby Superscare for halloween :)

Oh!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ChewedFood posted:

Sorry in advance. There's no questions thread as far as I can tell. I just started to play elite dangerous again and i can't find the thread, do goons still play this? I prefer to get all my metagame info from goons and was hoping to find it all in the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690

Snak posted:

DS3 also has the best graphics. I like how each game is the best at something different.

DeS has the most unique and memorable bosses but lots of them are gimmicks that once you've beaten them once they're not hard ever again.
DS1 has the best level design.
DS2 has the best multiplayer.
DS3 has the best graphics, most weapons and features.
BB has the best story and combat.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

Small Sign Soapstone.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

BB > DeS > DS > DS3 > DS2

Demon's is the worst mechanically, but it's still a favorite due to it being the first one I played and therefore all my greatest "gently caress yeah" moments were had then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bloodborne is the best if you like the Souls atmosphere, monsters/bosses, and challenge the most. DS2 is the best if you like the Souls online interactions, covenants, and character builds the most.

Everything after that who cares its all the same.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still catching up on the Souls games and had a fantastic time with Dark Souls the first. Eventually I'll play the second and so on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/MarcStraight/status/795478378291793920

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I got Dragonball Xenoverse 2 on the xbone, specifically so I could play with a buddy who chose the wrong console. I started my Xbox live gold trial after playing enough to catch up to him, and the game still thinks my profile shouldn't have online privileges :v:

I don't understand how this is possible, and my only avenue is emailing namco bandai and hoping they can sort it out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 2 should've kept the same number of bosses but turned half of them into minibosses, by having them still in the same location except no fog door and less health.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690

DS3 also has the best graphics. I like how each game is the best at something different.

DeS has the most unique and memorable bosses but lots of them are gimmicks that once you've beaten them once they're not hard ever again.
DS1 has the best level design.
DS2 has the best multiplayer.
DS3 has the best graphics, most weapons and features.
BB has the best story and combat.

I think this is a pretty good list, but honestly the real reason DS2 is the worst one is they completely botched the Havok physics. There is no joy in rolling through piles upon piles of crates in DS2, but every other game in the series gets it right. How did they screw that one up???

Also it kind of bugs me how DS2 has next to no level flow. DS3 kind of has the same issue, but makes up for it by levels being absolutely gigantic. There's nothing even remotely like staring down into Blighttown or finding the back way into Iosefka's Clinic in Drangleic, and I think it suffers for it. Is there even any part of DS2 where you see a big freakin' thing in the distance, then hours later you find yourself climbing that very thing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Dark Souls 2 should've kept the same number of bosses but turned half of them into minibosses, by having them still in the same location except no fog door and less health.

I don't have a problem with any of DS2's bosses, except that there aren't any awesome ones. All soulsgames have bosses that I think are lame, but they also have ones that are super cool. DS2 has no super cool bosses.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I don't have a problem with any of DS2's bosses, except that there aren't any awesome ones. All soulsgames have bosses that I think are lame, but they also have ones that are super cool. DS2 has no super cool bosses.

The DLCs have plenty of cool bosses like Fume Knight, Sinh or the Ivory King

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I never finished the dlc. After playing BB and DS3, I'm not sure I can ever go back to DS2's terrible feeling combat.

But yeah I should probably fight Fume Knight at some point, since I have like 200 hours in DS2 and still haven't fought the best boss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I still feel like Demon's Souls has the strongest level design in the franchise, thanks in part to its excellent enemy placement, but the game's bosses are more middling; impressive at a glance (with some of my favorite designs), but ultimately kinda gimmicky. Dark Souls, by contrast, has the better "World" design with everything linking together and making sense, and the best bosses, whereas Bloodborne has the best atmosphere and combat.

Not a fan of Dark Souls II.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I still feel like Demon's Souls has the strongest level design in the franchise, thanks in part to its excellent enemy placement, but the game's bosses are more middling; impressive at a glance (with some of my favorite designs), but ultimately kinda gimmicky. Dark Souls, by contrast, has the better "World" design with everything linking together and making sense, and the best bosses, whereas Bloodborne has the best atmosphere and combat.

Not a fan of Dark Souls II.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel. Demon's Souls is second for me, behind Bloodborne, but something about it just feels very right to me. I haven't played it in a long time, though.

Bloodborne is my favorite of the series by a pretty wide margin, though. I wish it had the world design of Dark Souls, but oh man, nothing beats its atmosphere, story, and combat for me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You are all dead to me.

gently caress you all.

*runs off crying*

Bunch of a Dark soul 2 hating asses

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:hfive: Glad you like it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

You are all dead to me.

gently caress you all.

*runs off crying*

Bunch of a Dark soul 2 hating asses

For what it's worth, I'm happy you like DS2, even if I don't. It's a good game. There are just things about it that bug me.

edit: I mean, I have this guy sitting on my book case

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 7, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ultimate sin of DS2 is that you don't get the Faraam armor until like the end of the goddamn game even though it's on the boxart :argh:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dark Souls II is a solid game at is core, but the level design, the enemies, the bosses, the lore, et al., are pretty lackluster. I wish they'd done the Final Fantasy thing and made it a thematic sequel instead of a direct follow-up.

I platinum'd it about a month after its initial release and haven't touched it since, nor have I had any desire to revisit it or check out the DLC.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel. Demon's Souls is second for me, behind Bloodborne, but something about it just feels very right to me. I haven't played it in a long time, though.
I've been playing Demon's recently and thinking a lot about how it's designed, so it's been on my mind.

The Shrine of Storms in particular is a masterful example of a game teaching you how to play it without throwing a tutorial at you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The ultimate sin of DS2 is that you don't get the Faraam armor until like the end of the goddamn game even though it's on the boxart :argh:

That is as it should be. The opposite of Skyrim's "the fancy armor from the cover of the game is garbage gear you will never wear".

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still can't forgive ds3 for loving up PvP so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

That is as it should be. The opposite of Skyrim's "the fancy armor from the cover of the game is garbage gear you will never wear".

The Elite Knight set disagrees with you!

• Locked thread