Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also Durant could always end up taking a pay cut because he's shook and not a leader

Durant signs to the minimum is not a bad outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Offense isn't really the problem with the Warriors. They're fifth in the league with both Steph and Klay in slumps. They'll probably be tops in the league by the end of the season. They only have two players playing above average defense right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Early Bird Rights for KD = $31.8m
Thompson, Green and Curry's cap hold = $55.8m
If the cap is $107m that leaves $19.6m

Tho empty roster spots and their rookies eat into that

Do you honestly think that they are going to go out and sign a player worth 19.6 million? They are going to be capped out by signing KD/Curry/Klay/Draymond for the next 2 seasons, and then they have to resign Klay.

Giving KD and Steph max Contracts (Which I could be totally wrong about, so if I am please feel free to correct me) gives you:

KD: 31.8
Steph: 37.5
Draymond: 16.4
Klay: 17.8

That's 103.5 Million for 3 players.

Factor in their random junk.

Looney: 1.3
Jones: 1.2
McCaw: .9
Thompson: .95

That puts them above the cap with 8 players on their roster, even before factoring in their draft picks and the cap holds for the 5 roster spots they need to fill. . If you honestly think that Iguodala is going to take literally a 10 million dollar playcut, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Though this ignores the fact that Iguodala has been very bad this year, though it is pretty early, so we don''t know exactly what he will get contract wise. I can see someone signing him for 3/30 somewhere.

There is no way that Shaun Livingston, a man who almost had his career ruined by injury, is going to sign a 1 year deal for the veteran minimum at age 32. I feel comfortable saying that literally has a 0% chance of happening.

I don't see a way where this team exists as is for longer than this season. Iguodala and Livingston are the obvious guys to leave, but that leaves them with literally no bench and no starting center. They are likely going to have to rush and sign some middling center to a decently large contract. That probably puts them at the cap with 9 players on the roster. They will have to get creative to fill the remaining roster spots with veteran guys, and their exceptions. But the issue still stands that their bench is probably going to be really, really bad next year.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

euphronius posted:

Livingston could easy get like 3/40 from some team and you want him to sign for 1/1.5 or whatever

He's not going to, I just threw it out there as a best case scenario. Though Livingston isn't as important now that GSW has KD. I wouldn't be surprised to see them let him walk.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also as fun as the shook jokes are Durant is far and away the best player on the Warriors right now

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Also as fun as the shook jokes are Durant is far and away the best player on the Warriors right now

You can easily make the argument that he is the best player in the league.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kd has been the second best player in the league for awhile yeah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Kd has been the second best player in the league for awhile yeah

I meant through 6 games this season, obviously KD has been a top player for a long time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One obvious solution is to trade green or klay for tons of young cheap talent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I lowkey believe that Draymond Green will not be on this team in 2 years. It's either him or Klay and Klay is way loving better.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

i see a lot of delusional people overstate klay's value like crazy.

namely a lot of "trade klay for demarcus cousins" lol.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i like a future where the warriors get rid of draymond cause it would make them so so much easier for lebron to beat and i want him to stave off the tech bros. as they stand now they seem to match up way worse than last year and the moves some of you are talking about would make it even more true. im all for it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I trash Draymond all the time but please dump him on the Kings so we can have him play next to Cousins thx guys

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I thought the shook stuff was all dumb and annoying until the season started, because Steph actually looks shook. KD looks like a cold blooded veteran though, he's been as amazing as ever this season.

Also I can't believe Portland just won games in Dallas and Memphis on the same trip. I know those teams aren't what they used to be, but I can't remember the last time that happened.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dumping Green would be so loving stupid hth

Klay is way way way more replaceable

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I lowkey believe that Draymond Green will not be on this team in 2 years. It's either him or Klay and Klay is way loving better.

History has taught us that if you have KD and an all-NBA point guard then you have to trade your all-star SG.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

History has taught us that if you have KD and an all-NBA point guard then you have to trade your all-star SG.

History has also shown this will mean KD will leave the team in 4 years!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

"We've secretly replaced Klay Thompson with Ben McLemore. Let's see if anyone can tell the difference!"
*Ben dribbles ball off his foot*

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Draymond Green is the only likeable thing about the Warriors

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
klay is one of the best shooters of all time and an excellent perimeter defender, that is a lot harder to find than some of y'all seem to think

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 7, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Klay can guard 3 positions and is the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the league and one of the best all time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Curry is bad
Draymond is bad
Thompson is bad
Durant is bad

Literally the only warrior that hasn't been called bad is Ian Clark because no one knows who he is

edit: Here's an argument, how about replacing either an elite 3+D guy and a stretch 4/5 elite defender that passes like a point guard are both very hard to replace

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Like others have said before in this conversation about the Warriors' future, their ability to maintain usable depth pieces will be based mainly on getting rotation players for the tax-payer MLE and their minimum exceptions. Making trades will be much more difficult once they are consistently operating in the tax or over the apron.

Relying every single year on guys to take West & Pachulia-sized discounts is obviously risky because it boils down to a lot of randomness that will be outside of their control. Even Zaza is only on a one-year for the mini-MLE, and West is a one-year vet min. What if their options next summer are worse? You can't necessarily bank on having the same success the Heat had with Battier, Miller, Allen, and even Haslem. A lot of that seems to boil down to relationships between players and the persuasiveness of guys like James, Wade, Durant, and Green in convincing players to sacrifice money. Their ability to have a playable center in the future might depend less on Myers' cap maneuvering and more on the the likeability of Draymond Green.

With all of that under consideration, my recommendation would be to fire Bob Myers and hire Doc Rivers as the GM, then profit from his ability to consistently fill out the rotation with wily vets.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 7, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

klay is one of the best shooters of all time and an excellent perimeter defender, that is a lot harder to find than y'all seem to think

i don't disagree that he's really really good. i just think he's a ~~~system player~~~ that achieved tremendously in a long running successful system that played to his strengths. now that system has changed and he's having trouble adapting. its the same thing that happened to danny green. they're both very finely tuned 3&D machines but stability, familiarity, and comfort are are vital to their functioning.

the difference is that danny green was made into pop's bitch long ago so i think he'll bounce back just fine. klay seems kinda mentally weak so a changing, shrinking role could really effect him.

once again though, maybe i'm totally wrong, but so far this season he's struggled in a way i've seen before

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Klay is really really good but I think Declan's point is that stretch 4 who can guard all front court positions and pass and playmake is a lot harder to replace than an elite shooting 2 guard that can guard 3 wing positions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Golden State probably should keep all their guys.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This is the same conversation we had about the Heat year 1. Trade Bosh for depth

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Klay is really really good but I think Declan's point is that stretch 4 who can guard all front court positions and pass and playmake is a lot harder to replace than an elite shooting 2 guard that can guard 3 wing positions.

Yeah I would have to agree with you. If only there was a frontcourt player who guarded 3 positions, can pass and playmake, stretch the floor. It would be even better if he could also create his own shot. But man, I don't think players like that exist.

WhyteRyce posted:

This is the same conversation we had about the Heat year 1. Trade Bosh for depth

While I understand the comparisons, the heat had 3 Max players. The Warriors have 4. That's a huge difference. I'm not saying they are going to have to trade Draymond now, I'm saying they are going to have to before his next contract.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

With all of that under consideration, my recommendation would be to fire Bob Myers and hire Doc Rivers as the GM, then profit from his ability to consistently fill out the rotation with wily vets.

Or they could fire Bob Myers and just sign any cheap player that once had a good game against LAC and achieve the same result without paying Doc Rivers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Can confirm

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

All of the Warriors players are good, they are just missing their birdman Chris anderson

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Or they could fire Bob Myers and just sign any cheap player that once had a good game against LAC and achieve the same result without paying Doc Rivers.

hey, andre roberson played well for awhile during the WCF, and I heard on an internet forum that klay might be available.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Oddly enough, he is exactly what the Raptors need right now. Too bad he never will be healthy again :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

This logic should have applied to Bogut or Ezeli cus lmao their rebounding

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

The point of power rankings isn't to say which team you think will be the best, it's which teams are the best right now. As long as the Warriors have their dick in the dirt, their rating is going to reflect that

Yeah exactly. It's only fun to do in the moment of the current week, at least for me. Like I highly doubt the Wizards are going to be a bottom three team in six months or maybe even two weeks but right now they're awful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You guys realize Ezeli still hasn't played this season, right

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lockback posted:

We let the wrong coach walk. Burn it all down.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Tae posted:

You guys realize Ezeli still hasn't played this season, right

Yeah but when he's healthy Roy, LMA and him are going to tear up the league.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Klay is streaky as hell and has been his entire career. He does this poo poo all the time - hell in the 2015 playoffs he couldn't buy a bucket for like a month. And when he isn't shooting well he loses focus on defense.

The problem with GSW is that their defense sucks when Curry and Zaza are both playing. I think they look exactly like the olympic team with Kyrie and Melo. It's the same issue - guard can't fight through screens and big is too slow. When Steph is trying hard (like against OKC) they are fine.

Also Steph is a huge baby that doesn't drive to the basket enough when his shot isn't falling. He needs to steal a page from CP3's book - when you get run off the line get to the elbow for a nice easy pull up jumper, or go all the way.

Klay needs to stay around just for the interviews. On his slump: "Oh that's a great question. Wait, no, that's actually not a very good question at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the Warriors can adapt their gameplay to their personnel as the season goes on. Teams have won without rim protection and being poor rebounders before, with less offensive talent.

• Locked thread