Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DandyLion posted:

Cripes is there anything louder than that AR. Shooting one at the range with plugs and earmuffs still leaves them ringing when I leave. I can only imagine it hurt his ears for the first 1 or 2 shots (after which it was plenty quiet).

I've listened to an AKM being rapid fired from about 150-200 feet away, and it's loud enough that it's hard to talk over. Everyone there was probably temporarily deaf after they stopped firing, while the guy shooting while driving spent the whole drat drive like Archer in that tinnitus video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DandyLion posted:

Cripes is there anything louder than that AR. Shooting one at the range with plugs and earmuffs still leaves them ringing when I leave. I can only imagine it hurt his ears for the first 1 or 2 shots (after which it was plenty quiet).
Plenty. I bet most didn't have ear pro in.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The actual reason you got SAWs was that M2s are heavy, huge, and have expensive ammo. All sorts of weird rumors circulated within the military because theyve never really been good at communication.
Ah. This and the fact that theater ammo for .50 barely moved when I was there makes sense now. Thanks. I never really noticed because we always needed loving aircraft flares because the system would pop them every ducking time they got painted coming into base. That and CADS and PADS were always black.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

spog posted:

I think they kept shooting him as he was driving away in the ambulance. Then pumped a couple of dozen more into him at the hospital.

They will probably interrupt the funeral with a few more rounds too

Do they plan to bury him, or just sharpen him and use him as a pencil?

As for deafness among the state troopers - I think situations like that are when good fire control is the most necessary. I wonder how many people have been killed while trying to surrender because the cops literally could not hear the order to cease fire or the calls of "I give up"?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

As for deafness among the state troopers - I think situations like that are when good fire control is the most necessary. I wonder how many people have been killed while trying to surrender because the cops literally could not hear the order to cease fire or the calls of "I give up"?

Well, just in case you haven't heard the news in the past few years...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

There's literally never been an order to cease fire though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Don't cops specifically get trained to mag dump into their targets? Or is that an internet hyperbole I've fallen for.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pharnakes posted:

Don't cops specifically get trained to mag dump into their targets? Or is that an internet hyperbole I've fallen for.

Hyperbole. They have "overkill" rules, but just like the "don't kill unarmed citizens" or "don't take kickbacks and bribes" rules they don't really ever get enforced.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
"Mag dump" is an exaggeration, but they are definitely taught to fire until they are certain there is no more threat. So if a multiple murderer is shooting at you, and then he all of the sudden says "ok I give up! I give up!", it would be within the rules for a cop to continue firing until the guy was actually down and no longer a threat. You don't just take a guy's word for it when he just got through decapitating people and shooting at cops.

They're taught that if you're pulling the trigger, its because lethal force is necessary and there's no middle ground. Shoot to kill and keep shooting until the threat to your safety is neutralized.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

But would gun control have prevented this?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Remember dallas and how they used a bomb strapped to a robot to get that rear end in a top hat?

:black101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

"Mag dump" is an exaggeration, but they are definitely taught to fire until they are certain there is no more threat. So if a multiple murderer is shooting at you, and then he all of the sudden says "ok I give up! I give up!", it would be within the rules for a cop to continue firing until the guy was actually down and no longer a threat. You don't just take a guy's word for it when he just got through decapitating people and shooting at cops.

They're taught that if you're pulling the trigger, its because lethal force is necessary and there's no middle ground. Shoot to kill and keep shooting until the threat to your safety is neutralized.

This also ties into adrenaline. Police officers, as much as it pains some of them to hear it, aren't sharply trained soldiers making precise life-or-death decisions. When they start shooting (especially at a guy who's shooting back), they're often under a terrifying fight-or-flight reaction and operating on instinct. It's very easy in that kind of situation to just start reflexively pulling the trigger until something brings you back.

I'm a very vocal opponent of police brutality, but "overshooting" is one of the very few things I give a pass on most of the time just because of the psychology and intent behind it.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Nov 4, 2016

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

This also ties into adrenaline. Police officers, as much as it pains some of them to hear it, aren't sharply trained soldiers making precise life-or-death decisions. When they start shooting (especially at a guy who's shooting back), they're often under a terrifying fight-or-flight reaction and operating on instinct. It's very easy in that kind of situation to just start reflexively pulling the trigger until something brings you back.

I'm a very vocal opponent of police brutality, but "overshooting" is one of the very few things I give a pass on most of the time just because of the psychology and intent behind it.

That's what I was saying.

Although I remember hearing about a dude years ago who was being watched by 2 undercover police officers, and as he left a club they claim they thought they saw a gun, so they shot him 56 times. With their sidearms.

I feel like a few reloads would have ben required.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

princecoo posted:

That's what I was saying.

Although I remember hearing about a dude years ago who was being watched by 2 undercover police officers, and as he left a club they claim they thought they saw a gun, so they shot him 56 times. With their sidearms.

I feel like a few reloads would have ben required.

Yeah, that's probably excessive. Though I do recall that one guy in New York who got infamously shot for pulling out a wallet got shot a ton because he fell against a wall and they thought they were missing.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Not breaking exactly, but great news for this thread's favorite badass military plane

https://twitter.com/foxtrotalpha/status/792065485747712000

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That is really good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hell yes. I used to work at the Tucson airport and got to see those suckers all the time.

Love me the warthog.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not breaking exactly, but great news for this thread's favorite badass military plane

https://twitter.com/foxtrotalpha/status/792065485747712000

Obligatory GAU-8 photo:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That is loving boner inducing levels of awesome. Imagine just getting to fire that once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soulex posted:

That is loving boner inducing levels of awesome. Imagine just getting to fire that once.

You don't fire a Volkswagen so much as you drive it but yeah, same.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Got curious why it had 2 feeds from the ammo drum and found out that the second is for collecting the spent casings to prevent them from messing up the aircraft. Never really considered it, but yeah the casings are massive and if there were hundreds of them spewing out of the frame in a second poo poo would get wrecked in a hurry, nevermind the engines at the back.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

My understanding was that the GAU-8 kept the cases to help maintain the aircraft's center of gravity. Which is probably also a dealbreaker for the Firehog.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saves a fair bit of money as well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gogea Mitu, tallest boxer ever (7'4").

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Say Nothing posted:

Gogea Mitu, tallest boxer ever (7'4").

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today, Mac!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You really can't help but him in the junk, huh?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFu4E7c2Hmk&hd=1

I hope I'm this lucid and amazing when I'm 94 years old. No doubt him and his instructor were helped to the ground by this man's enormous balls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please watch this insane story featuring a lizard and a snake.

https://twitter.com/MrLukeJohnston/status/795609403789635584?s=09

I ain't even kidding :suspense:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

a kitten posted:

Play 'til the whistle

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. That poo poo was intense! I don't hate snakes but I might not have made it like the lizard did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really hate snakes, go lizard-bro.

(Christ that photography.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

a kitten posted:

This has blown up everywhere suddenly. Even people I don't talk to often sent me this video.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

David Attenborough is the best

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
It's like a scene out of an action movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's like a scene out of the best action movie you've ever seen.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Can someone tell me where that was filmed so I can be sure I never go within 1000 miles of the place?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, not working for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lordshmee posted:

Can someone tell me where that was filmed so I can be sure I never go within 1000 miles of the place?

Pretty sure it was just outside of Akron, Ohio

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pik_d posted:

Pretty sure it was just outside of Akron, Ohio

Makes sense, snakes lost after being up 3-1.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rolo posted:

Hell yes. I used to work at the Tucson airport and got to see those suckers all the time.

Love me the warthog.

I love how they look - you can slot them into almost any era and they'd fit right in, design-wise. Such an awesome aircraft :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garanzia
Jun 8, 2004
Cliched as it may be, I can't think of a title. OH SHI

Lordshmee posted:

Galápagos Islands, more specifically : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernandina_Island

Apparently the show is on BBC America in January. It's absolutely worth a watch. A handful of times I thinking to myself it has to be CGI, the cinematography is just beautiful.

garanzia has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Nov 8, 2016