Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The point of examining the ramifications of how the Warriors have built their team isn't to argue that they've become a terrible team or are not still likely to be the best team in the west or the league, it's to argue that perhaps the massive gulf between them and their immediate peers that we anticipated is either tighter than we thought or isn't even there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Lakers are the best team with the best coach and the best players. Championship incoming. :colbert:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Super Jay Mann posted:

The point of examining the ramifications of how the Warriors have built their team isn't to argue that they've become a terrible team or are not still likely to be the best team in the west or the league, it's to argue that perhaps the massive gulf between them and their immediate peers that we anticipated is either tighter than we thought or isn't even there anymore.

I think it's impossible to determine that 6 games into the season, it was bound to be awkward as hell

e: If anything it should make more people realize that real basketball isn't like fantasy and it doesn't matter how much talent you have, it takes time to learn how to play together properly and it will be ugly at times. Just like Miami. The talent gulf is definitely there and it's just a matter of time until they're making a lot of good teams look silly, unfortunately. I hope they SUCK though

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 7, 2016

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Pop owns:

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/795733646766383106/photo/1

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Loved this Pop exchange until the last line.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
who is don nelson. is it the boss lawyer from law and order?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Up Circle posted:

who is don nelson. is it the boss lawyer from law and order?

A cool former coach who woke up one day and decided three pointers aren't a gimmick/one of the main reasons why Dirk was able to find success in the NBA.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
He's got my vote.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

We used to laugh at Nellieball and playing Al Harrington at the 4. Like all great visionaries he was just too ahead of his time

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jill Stein, Green Party

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Don Nelson owned.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MourningView posted:

Don Nelson owned.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kevman has a good Nellie story if you have archives

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This is great.

MourningView posted:

Don Nelson owned.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

zogopostin

WhyteRyce posted:

Klay is really really good but I think Declan's point is that stretch 4 who can guard all front court positions and pass and playmake is a lot harder to replace than an elite shooting 2 guard that can guard 3 wing positions.

ding ding ding

Klay is probably The Best A Man Can Get but functionally he could be replaced with Thabo, Danny Green, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Jonathon Simmons, Delly, the 2016 version of Dwyane Wade, etc. and that's not even counting decent defenders whose 3P% would see an upswing being the third option in the Warriors offense. They wouldn't necessarily be as good as Klay but the Warriors offense would function in pretty much the same way, especially with Durant there. Unless you find a rejuvenation machine for Joakim Noah or try to talk Royce White out of retirement, I don't think there's another big that brings what Draymond brings to the table

Lockback posted:

Golden State probably should keep all their guys.

well yeah but I thought we were having a discussion in this, the basketball discussion thread

Doltos posted:

This logic should have applied to Bogut or Ezeli cus lmao their rebounding

it's real fuckin bad and ties into their defensive struggles, especially with their "nightmare lineup" which got bodied by a thousand year old david lee and a team starting timofey fuckin mozgov

Rick posted:

I think the Warriors can adapt their gameplay to their personnel as the season goes on. Teams have won without rim protection and being poor rebounders before, with less offensive talent.

I have no doubt the Warriors will win lots of games. They're already 4-2. I just don't think they can match up against big teams that are good at rebounding, and two of the biggest threats to them in the west can roll that out at will

straight up brolic posted:

Kevman has a good Nellie story if you have archives

Is that the one where Don Nelson is a horrible cheapskate

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 8, 2016

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

What an idiot reporter

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Re: Don Nelson

Don't get confused if your ever read about the Mavs GM (who Cuban overrides every so often), Donnie Nelson, that's Don's son.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings draft all the bigs, the kryptonite to the Warriors. If we make the playoffs the championship is ours

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If Pop ran for Governor of Texas he'd probably win and be the first democrat there in like 30 years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

If Pop ran for Governor of Texas he'd probably win and be the first democrat there in like 30 years.

20, and before that nearly every single governor of Texas was a Dem.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings draft all the bigs, the kryptonite to the Warriors. If we make the playoffs the championship is ours

I believe

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hopefully you can forgive my wrong recollection of when Richards was, since when I was growing up in Texas after her time it felt like Perry was governor for 25 years himself.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/07/heat-forward-james-johnson-tells-harrowing-tale-of-defecating-during-an-earthquake-in-a-haunted-hotel/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

"Dem"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lmao

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shear Modulus posted:

I'd vote for Pop but you may be overestimating the amount of Republicans in San Antonio that will cross over

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 8, 2016

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's probably more Klay shooting 7% on open 3s in their two losses on 7 attempts per game

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

WhyteRyce posted:

We used to laugh at Nellieball and playing Al Harrington at the 4. Like all great visionaries he was just too ahead of his time

Please give Nellie his due, Al was playing the 5. Matt Barnes was the 4.

Realtalk the Baron,Monta,SJax,Barnes,Al lineup was fun as hell to watch. Especially when Al was guarding Yao.

If only Andris had stayed good at basketball....

Soviet Space Dog posted:

It's probably more Klay shooting 7% on open 3s in their two losses on 7 attempts per game

They are shooting 28% from 3 as a team. That seems unlikely to continue the entire season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spite posted:

Please give Nellie his due, Al was playing the 5. Matt Barnes was the 4.

Realtalk the Baron,Monta,SJax,Barnes,Al lineup was fun as hell to watch. Especially when Al was guarding Yao.

If only Andris had stayed good at basketball....

Biedrins.jpg still one of the best basketball photos ever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
George Hill won player of the week. Weird.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Just a little election humor here.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Biedrins.jpg still one of the best basketball photos ever.

Post it

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Boogie's moving down to oakland when his contract expires anyway.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Harden 30/16. Mike D'Antoni is a brilliant man

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
John Wall is the all-time wizards assist leader in his 6th year.

1. Wes Unseld* 3822
2. John Wall 3819
3. Rod Strickland 2712
4. Kevin Porter 2593
5. Kevin Loughery 2363
6. Gilbert Arenas 2046
7. Frank Johnson 1961
8. Michael Adams 1844
9. Darrell Walker 1707
10. Phil Chenier 1688

Which says more about the wizards and passing....

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Lol that prompted me to check and Harden is #10. He'll be 7 or 6 if he keeps this up. (Hakeem is #3)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

chunkles posted:

Harden 30/16. Mike D'Antoni is a brilliant man
His statline to start the season is absurd.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the beard guy from Stephen F. Austin is on the Windy City Bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched a lot of Kansas embiid and never saw this

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/795816073035542529

• Locked thread