Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I should think Clinton is a lot more likely to get Sanders to call this guy directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is it that hard to replace the guy? He's been saying this for like a month to anyone who would listen.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
So...who here has voted? Or actually, who here has NOT voted? I am imagining that most everyone here has voted already.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My ballot hasn't been mailed yet because I need to research judges. Also I might flip my vote on 1491.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Wanderer posted:

I should think Clinton is a lot more likely to get Sanders to call this guy directly.

I said that in her CSPAM thread, but as someone pointed out: if this person is still being this lovely at this point, they don't care what Bernie has to say.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I pretty much followed The Stranger's guide. And, for president, I voted for the Marxist-Leninist because #FOMO

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't voted yet, because I'm lazy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I haven't voted yet because I can't stomach staring at the info booklet and researching for sustained periods. I chip away at it every night and there's a drop box within walking distance of my front door so I can finish it Tuesday afternoon and still get it in.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

I haven't voted yet because I can't stomach staring at the info booklet and researching for sustained periods. I chip away at it every night and there's a drop box within walking distance of my front door so I can finish it Tuesday afternoon and still get it in.
https://ballotpedia.org/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's not the book that's the problem.

Measures are easy but figuring out which candidate (if any) doesn't suck from whatever blurb they have in the booklet is tedious. As the elections get more local the odds of the person having any online presence goes down, too. And lol if you think ballotpedia covers county level poo poo outside Portland, if they even do that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I dropped my ballot off yesterday, so I'm good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

It's not the book that's the problem.

Measures are easy but figuring out which candidate (if any) doesn't suck from whatever blurb they have in the booklet is tedious. As the elections get more local the odds of the person having any online presence goes down, too. And lol if you think ballotpedia covers county level poo poo outside Portland, if they even do that.
I guess you'd better get back to reading, then.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Anyone can download the WA state voter rolls, listing all WA voters, their addresses, and the last time they voted. It's a huge file, so good luck opening it without special software. Crashes excel when I've tried for work.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/vrdb/

Use Access.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I filled out president and ST3 and senator and governor on my ballot (in that order) as soon as it came in, because those are what I was already informed and confident about. I need to sit down and read the Stranger's (and three or four blogs') opinions on everything else before I fill it out and send it in. Normally I would have done that earlier but I've been working weekends and doing jury duty on weekdays so I keep getting surprised by my lack of free time. I've got tomorrow mostly free, so that'll finally happen. I'm not proud of this state of affairs, mind.

As always, I'm sad imagining the majority of states where you actually need to go to a specific place on a specific day and vote based on whatever you know as you step in and first look at that ballot.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 6, 2016

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
One of the people I work with is a massive insufferable prick who won't shut up about how bad raising the minimum wage would be (despite the fact that he himself works a min wage job) and has been going nonstop for the past loving month to convince his much younger coworkers that they should vote no, because back in the day minimum wage sucked, and even though they've been raising it (nvm the fact that the rises were due to being tied to inflation) you still can't pay rent on a minimum wage job. He's also tried to convince people that the minimum wage hike means that Washington is going to start counting tips against minimum wage.

As someone who was fairly active in the $15 Now initiative in Seattle and who wants to do the same thing in their town it's been real hard for me to keep my policy of "no politics at work".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is he one of those guys who makes slightly more than new hires and wants to stay that way?

Because your story reminds me of a coworker I had at a gas station with $40k in student debt, a general biology degree he wasn't using, a below cost-of-living wage of ~$9.50/hr and a stated opposition to a minimum wage increase to $10/hr. He knew he'd get a raise, but didn't think it was acceptable that new hires make anywhere near him. A self-oppressing poor person, more concerned with place/station than well-being.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Is he one of those guys who makes slightly more than new hires and wants to stay that way?

Because your story reminds me of a coworker I had at a gas station with $40k in student debt, a general biology degree he wasn't using, a below cost-of-living wage of ~$9.50/hr and a stated opposition to a minimum wage increase to $10/hr. He knew he'd get a raise, but didn't think it was acceptable that new hires make anywhere near him. A self-oppressing poor person, more concerned with place/station than well-being.

Honestly I have no idea what he's making right now. I know from his rants that he makes above the current minimum wage largely thanks to tips.

Tangentially related a bartender friend of mine is also against the min wage hike because she thinks that patrons are less likely to tip her if they think she makes more than $10 an hour.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Honestly I have no idea what he's making right now. I know from his rants that he makes above the current minimum wage largely thanks to tips.

Tangentially related a bartender friend of mine is also against the min wage hike because she thinks that patrons are less likely to tip her if they think she makes more than $10 an hour.

If a bartender can't get drunks to tip, that's a shameful bartender.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A good bar owner will pay a quality bar tender much more per hour just so he less reason to steal.
Worked for me but lots of people are just thieves so who knows.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I can gaurantee that the patrons in a bar are not gauging their tips on how much the bartender makes per hour. They're either checking out their rear end, trying to be friends with them by telling them their best stories, or they are pissed off that they aren't getting refills fast enough. tia

Unless of course you are a patron at Taylor's on campus in Eugene, and then of course you aren't thinking anything because they roofied you and took you home

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All true things.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
when the gently caress can we have an initiative to get rid of changing the clocks I loving hate it

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I dunno, now that my phone is my primary timepiece it's not a big deal, and it doesn't throw me off.

Plus I can see sunshine at like 730am again, which is nice

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

when the gently caress can we have an initiative to get rid of changing the clocks I loving hate it

We had one last year. It failed to make the ballot.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

glowing-fish posted:

So...who here has voted? Or actually, who here has NOT voted? I am imagining that most everyone here has voted already.

I voted last week, usually I'm lazier about it and procrastinate, but it was my wife's first election since she became a citizen, so it was a bit more special.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've had my ballot filled out and ready to go but hadn't dropped it off until today. I'm really, really hoping that ST3 passes and I ended up voting for Tony Ventrella because it's not like Dave Reichert is going anywhere as long as parts of eastern WA are still included in my district. The only thing that I really looked into was I-1501 in part because I'm part of the SEIU and we've gotten who knows how many emails over the last 6 months about the Freedom Foundation requesting employee information and personnel files.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I dropped off a total of 4 ballots for my family on Friday at my local library drop box. Was kind of disappointed there were no AR wielding ballot watchers asking why I had 4. Wanted to say they were for my dead relatives.
This was my 21 and 18 yr old kids 1st presidential vote. We sat down as a family, talked about the issues and got a pretty good understanding of everything. Compared it to the Stranger cheat sheet afterwards and we were like 98% matching. I think the only bones of contention were the tax schedules for ST3, and 1501. I would be more for ST3 but I am in Kent, and it doesn't do poo poo for Kent/Renton.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I haven't watched many political ads this year, but this one from the WA republicans made me irrationally angry and I yelled at the tv:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eQxNOKve8zg

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A week ago I found out a relative isn't registered to vote because he doesn't want to be called for jury duty. Seems like a dumb thing, but some of his political opinions are bad so maybe it evens out.

But because the universe has a sense of humor, I got a jury summons in the mail yesterday :whitewater:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
And in other news of "this is totally not an invasion of privacy because reasons" http://komonews.com/news/local/king-county-using-grocery-store-data-to-target-pet-owners

Aren't you glad you signed up for all those grocery club cards?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

A week ago I found out a relative isn't registered to vote because he doesn't want to be called for jury duty. Seems like a dumb thing, but some of his political opinions are bad so maybe it evens out.

But because the universe has a sense of humor, I got a jury summons in the mail yesterday :whitewater:

You don't have to be registered to vote to get called for jury duty.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Freakazoid_ posted:

Your friend is dumb, because in WA State Jury summons' are based on DL/ID card info.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was registered in Kitsap County as a voter but was living in Pierce County and was too lazy to change my ballot. I got summoned for Pierce County jury duty, so yeah it doesn't matter. Your coworker is dumb.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've been summoned twice for County and once for Federal (Seattle), while in the same time frame my wife has never been summoned. Going downtown is a pain in the rear end when you live just up the hill from the Kent RJC.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Maneki Neko posted:

I haven't watched many political ads this year, but this one from the WA republicans made me irrationally angry and I yelled at the tv:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eQxNOKve8zg

You know, I'm happy there was no trans scaremongering. I also said "good" for state income tax, and "how?" for raising college tuition.

Also, I can confirm, Seattle has never recovered from the WTO riots. I'm about to go fight off a gang of black bloc voters and superpredator thugs to go get breakfast. I hope the Thin Lizzies aren't about, I don't want them to cut off my Johnson.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

foobardog posted:

You know, I'm happy there was no trans scaremongering. I also said "good" for state income tax, and "how?" for raising college tuition.

Also, I can confirm, Seattle has never recovered from the WTO riots. I'm about to go fight off a gang of black bloc voters and superpredator thugs to go get breakfast. I hope the Thin Lizzies aren't about, I don't want them to cut off my Johnson.

You'll be fine you baby, just remember to avoid wearing anything deep purple.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Anyone can download the WA state voter rolls, listing all WA voters, their addresses, and the last time they voted. It's a huge file, so good luck opening it without special software. Crashes excel when I've tried for work.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/vrdb/

This info from my experience is mostly what determines if anyone mails you anything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I literally saw 4 ads in a row that referenced Measure 97 and politicians who supported/opposed it tonight.

24 more hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The best part was that was the sole argument in opposition, after 27 arguments or so in favor.

• Locked thread