Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm gonna miss watching opposing players fall down from tripping over the bullpen mound while trying to catch a pop-up. I'm also gonna miss the Cubs bullpen not flinching as a line drive screams their way. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The original mannequin challenge

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No matter how much I despise foul-territory bullpens, this is great.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

From what I understand the Cubs essentially treated the team option like a player option, and approached Hammel to ask him if he wanted to stick around for another year or test the FA market. Hammel said he'd rather leave, so the club let him go. There's a fangraphs article that digs a bit into the reasoning for just letting him walk, and the argument I find most compelling is that the Cubs didn't really need him, either as a pitcher or a trade piece. There are young pitchers waiting in the wings to take the #5 spot in Montgomery/Zastryzny in the immediate future, and looking forward to patching up an aging rotation in Lester/Lackey/Arrieta the Cubs are swimming in a veritable mountain of cash they can throw at the problem.

Soler's value seems to be in that contract. Just under $4m a year through 2020. I think his biggest issues are health.

The Rays were a team I thought that was interested in him last season. They'd have some interesting guys that could probably help the Cubs next year (Colome being one). An AL team works best where he can spend a little time playing DH.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No matter how much I despise foul-territory bullpens, this is great.

Why don't you like them?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

its sad that the san fransicso giants will be the last NL team to respect the good and correct position of bullpens.

It gave us wonderful moments this year, such as...

And that's about it. Also that one time Casilla caught a fair ball.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
MLB Offseason N/V - Yup, It's Still Cubs Chat

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why don't you like them?

I mean, it's always funny to see people trip over the mounds while trying to field a ball, but I just think they're better when you don't have 15 people on each side that can end up interfering with play inadvertently.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Anyone doing the FA guessing game this year? I'm itching to be just, like, completely and totally wrong about everything again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/795767060735234049

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/795766342401945600

Dave Roberts should win the NL. To be able to make it as far as they did with all their injuries is insane. Also I'd lol pretty hard if either Maddon or Baker got it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:agreed: Maddon did a fantastic job managing expectations in the clubhouse and keeping the young talent focused, but Roberts squeezed 91 wins and an NL West title out of a team of corpses and took them to the NLCS where they went down swinging to the eventual WS winners.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/795770939732623360
This is fine and good

:smithicide:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sydin posted:

:agreed: Maddon did a fantastic job managing expectations in the clubhouse and keeping the young talent focused, but Roberts squeezed 91 wins and an NL West title out of a team of corpses and took them to the NLCS where they went down swinging to the eventual WS winners.

All I want in life is for a paternity test to reveal Joe Maddon is my real dad but I agree with this

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fuckin lol that Showalter is up for MotY again. Like, yeah, we outperformed expectations pretty significantly, but I don't know how anyone doesn't pick Francona for the AL award.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/795769221636493312

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/795770475825614848

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NL Cy Young finalists out: Hendricks, Lester, Scherzer.

Go Professor, even if I'm 100% convinced Max is going to pick it up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bryant/Seager/Murphy for NL MVP
Betts/Trout/Altuve for AL MVP

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yeah it's gonna be Scherzer. If Hendricks didn't give up 4 ER in his last start and kept his ERA under 2.00, he'd have it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Legit shocked that britton is not in the Top 3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I can't see Altuve winning, as cool as that would be

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The NL awards should probably go to Roberts, Scherzer, and ???

I want Bryant to win and he does have a good case but last I checked murphy was possessed by the spirit of Ted Williams

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah it's gonna be Scherzer. If Hendricks didn't give up 4 ER in his last start and kept his ERA under 2.00, he'd have it.

Even then, Scherzer leads both in IP, WHIP, K's, and is the only 20 win pitcher in the NL. A sub two ERA may not have been enough to be honest. Scherzer's only blemish is a 2.98 ERA.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Going to the NLCS won't have any bearing on the result. Ballots have to be submitted before the first game of the postseason in order to count.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Wow. Verlander is back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Poque posted:

Betts/Trout/Altuve for AL MVP

Yay Mookie :toot:
Yay Porcello :toot:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Der Meister posted:

Wow. Verlander is back.

I told you guys this last year but nobody paid attention.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Bryant will win NLMVP and it won't be close even though it probably should be

Dave Roberts deserves MOTY for how far he pushed the Dodgers in the regular season

As far as Cy Young I give it to the Professor because gently caress it I'm a homer

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
MLB trade rumours pegs the Jays as getting Bautista and Kendrys Morales, which sounds Okay To Me, but I kind of doubt it considering it runs contrary to Ross Atkins' whole "Speed, Versatility, and Platoon Advantages" plan. That sounds like Reddick or Fowler, to me.

Edit: I forgot Morales is a switch hitter which makes more sense for that.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 8, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Man this alternate timeline stuff is creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTA-v6q_L4

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Bryant will win NLMVP and it won't be close even though it probably should be

Dave Roberts deserves MOTY for how far he pushed the Dodgers in the regular season

As far as Cy Young I give it to the Professor because gently caress it I'm a homer

I agree with all of these, including Hendricks. What he did this season was imo more impressive since he dragged himself up from barely a 5th starter to an inarguable ace by adding a new pitch, making adjustments to his sequencing, refining his control, and changing his mechanics to make all four of his pitches look identical out of the hand. It's not as flashy or well highlighted as K's or IP, but Hendricks transformed himself into an ace and he did it without ever having to touch his velocity.

I don't think the voters are going to see it quite the same way, but hey.

Timby posted:

Going to the NLCS won't have any bearing on the result. Ballots have to be submitted before the first game of the postseason in order to count.

I know it doesn't affect voting, I was just saying it as an example of how well he did. Even without the post season run Roberts stole the NL West out from under the Giants by keeping an injured team consistent while the Giants were in free fall.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm a bit glad that we aren't going to have a Heroic Posthumous Jose Fernandez Cy Young Award even though he absolutely should be in contention

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Meister posted:

Wow. Verlander is back.

He's been back for a while. Time to trade him to Boston/Chicago/LA though :qq:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Poque posted:

I'm a bit glad that we aren't going to have a Heroic Posthumous Jose Fernandez Cy Young Award even though he absolutely should be in contention

I don't know, having him get the votes during the swelling up of good feelings about him then having someone accept the award after the toxicology reports came out would have made for interesting television

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

The beard is what turned everything around for him. :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm really confused why the Nats didn't offer Wilson Ramos a QO. Did they really think he would take that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

I guess someone in the truck found out a way to put Chip Caray's mute button on.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

AL MVP: Betts
NL MVP: Bryant
AL Cy: Kluber
NL Cy: Scherzer
AL ROY: Sanchez
NL ROY: Seager

Feel free to quote this when it's completely wrong

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Carlosologist posted:

AL MVP: Betts
NL MVP: Bryant
AL Cy: Kluber
NL Cy: Scherzer
AL ROY: Sanchez
NL ROY: Seager

Feel free to quote this when it's completely wrong

this but fulmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really confused why the Nats didn't offer Wilson Ramos a QO. Did they really think he would take that?

I'm assuming it has something to do with them trying to negotiate some other terms, or maybe that partial no-trade clause that comes with it. A big part is the knee injury and surgery, so his post-rehab performance (and the timeline itself) is a huge question mark. Oh yeah, the fact that this is the second time he's injured & had surgery on his right ACL is another red flag.

CubsWoo posted:

Oh wow, I just noticed the Heyward cameo!

• Locked thread