Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Today's special is Bluefin Tuna sushi!

The first step in the perfect Longtail Bluefin is to allow this apex predator to feast upon the uninterrupted food chain of this 3,000 gallon tank with impunity for nine to twelve year---oh. oh gently caress we're the bad guys aren't we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It blew my family's mind the first time I showed them the Monterey Bay Aquarium's seafood list. My dad never ate much sushi to begin with (he's mostly a fried shrimp guy), but it seriously changed my mom's eating habits. Sustainable seafood seems to be more of a thing in Houston these days but it's still a major problem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

So y'all work in the industry: how gimmicky is this? Because I don't see how the hell a sushi joint is going to make enough money to employ a full time marine biologist to keep the fishtanks clean:

Marine Biology is the kind of market where there are many times more qualified marine biologists than there are marine biology positions, so I bet this one is making $peanuts.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I hate servers.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
rude

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

me too tho

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm gonna stop drinking because I saw this movie Colossus. As it turns out, me and the wife have a problem. It didn't feel like one, but man, I should do something productive with my off time, not drink myself into a happy stupor.

That said, I'll still drink when I'm out, but no more booze at home, because I legit don't know when to stop.

Drink all you want duders, but when you HAVE to drink, maybe try to replace that with something else. For me, it's gonna be cycling, or gym time.

gently caress this industry, and I'll do everything I can to make it better for all of us.

Fake edit: I've been drinking, if that isn't obvious. I hate myself, I'll be better soon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm gonna stop drinking because I saw this movie Colossus. As it turns out, me and the wife have a problem. It didn't feel like one, but man, I should do something productive with my off time, not drink myself into a happy stupor.

That said, I'll still drink when I'm out, but no more booze at home, because I legit don't know when to stop.

Drink all you want duders, but when you HAVE to drink, maybe try to replace that with something else. For me, it's gonna be cycling, or gym time.

gently caress this industry, and I'll do everything I can to make it better for all of us.

Fake edit: I've been drinking, if that isn't obvious. I hate myself, I'll be better soon.

Tucked away in a secret location in the Rockies, Dr. Charles Forbin (Eric Braeden) has developed a massive computer system, dubbed "Colossus," that is supposed to ensure the nation's safety against nuclear attack. But when Colossus connects to a similar Russian computer, "Guardian," the intelligent machines begin conducting a private dialog. Nervous as to what they might be plotting, Forbin severs the connection, only to have Colossus threaten a nuclear attack if the link isn't restored

?????????

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:( stay safe dude

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Tucked away in a secret location in the Rockies, Dr. Charles Forbin (Eric Braeden) has developed a massive computer system, dubbed "Colossus," that is supposed to ensure the nation's safety against nuclear attack. But when Colossus connects to a similar Russian computer, "Guardian," the intelligent machines begin conducting a private dialog. Nervous as to what they might be plotting, Forbin severs the connection, only to have Colossus threaten a nuclear attack if the link isn't restored

?????????

They're in LOVE drat it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

It's real easy to not notice it getting to be a problem. It took one of my friends cracking jokes about the forest of bottles on my kitchen counter to really realize I was putting down a fifth of gin every two days for a while there. Good luck, man, getting out of the stress pot of the industry (and the financial stress it induced) made a night and day difference for me.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I respect this. And I hope it works for you.

But I'm gonna drink myself to death. Because this world is hosed, cold and lonely.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

A Man and his dog posted:

I respect this. And I hope it works for you.

But I'm gonna drink myself to death. Because this world is hosed, cold and lonely.

Is that Bukowski?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

virinvictus posted:

Is that Bukowski?

No, he would have worked in some words about a lady's thighs.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

No, he would have worked in some words about a lady's thighs.

and the track

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

It's real easy to not notice it getting to be a problem. It took one of my friends cracking jokes about the forest of bottles on my kitchen counter to really realize I was putting down a fifth of gin every two days for a while there. Good luck, man, getting out of the stress pot of the industry (and the financial stress it induced) made a night and day difference for me.

In late august I went to the doctor for a grab bag of problems. Fatigue, trouble meaningfully sleeping, difficulty focusing, etc.

The doctor (who spoke with a very thick Pakistani accent if it helps your mental image) asked briefly about my family history. Oh your dad's a high functioning alcoholic? Your mom "closes bars"? Your sister is due for her court ordered 28 days?

Then he poked me in the right side. And I said "OW!" and he yelled even louder "that should not have hurt!!! Stop drinking! STOP DRINKING!!!" Pronounced moderate acute alcoholic hepatitis on the spot and threatened cirrhosis and said again that I should stop drinking.

I ain't Jesus and I've fallen off the wagon a couple times for both work and play related reasons and this loving election is presently at this minute not helping matters, but yes: the alcoholism is real and it fucks with you. And tbqh i crave my next period of sobriety, because once you get over the several-day hump of feeling like a lovely lil' cuss who hasn't had his medicine you feel so, so so much better. You sleep through the night. You wake up with all the energy and focus you think is appropriate. Your skinnyfat disappears (or your fatfat as the case may be).

If weed were legal I'd get back on that poo poo and never look back :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if trump wins and somehow fails to gently caress up his legislative agenda like how he's hosed up everything else he's ever tried in his entire life it's gonna gently caress over so many kitchens ahahahahahaha :bang:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

looks like there's a whole lot more drinking to be had in my future

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stay safe, fellow reprobates. Don't get hosed over to badly is the strange new terrible world.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Well, I picked a terrible time to stop drinking.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i've managed to hold fast so far. Didnt sleep either but w/e.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

?????????

Colossus was trying to get down.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I wonder what this will mean for the industry south of the 49th - both in a direct sense from activity regarding wages and workers rights and immigration, and also from an indirect sense - namely, how the economy reacts, which tends to impact consumer spending on things like dining out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Colossus was trying to get down.

LOAD "SEXYFUNTIMES",8,1

RUN

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Got a call this morning that I'm going full time on an overnight shift at my good job.

Bye bye burgers!

Edit: AND the only other employee who can work lunch also just got something much closer to her dream job.

There goes lunch coverage!

moonsour fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 9, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I drank for you bud. Cheap moonshine + fireball. But it was tolerable. Also some Jaeger Spice straight from the bottle.

e - Agk. That was a bad idea. It needs to be mixed with something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

I drank for you bud. Cheap moonshine + fireball. But it was tolerable. Also some Jaeger Spice straight from the bottle.

ugh. I hate you, and I'm not even your tongue!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The moonshine was fine. Not great, but tolerable. The Jaeger, ow.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JawKnee posted:

The first thought for me when I see "Hmm, poo poo isn't working or set up, and extra poo poo hasn't been afforded for" is definitely not "These people we pay me on time"

looking forward to more, please post the A/T thread link here

I did eventually get payed in one lump sum, though Bob ended up letting it spill that he made some calls that I'll get to, but it took a ton of effort trying to notify the proper local government channels first.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
When you work at a high-end steakhouse and people do poo poo like eat half of their prime-grade ribeye, please tell me that stuff doesn't just end up in the trash. People take that home for steak and eggs or it gets turned into staff meals or something, right?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Phanatic posted:

When you work at a high-end steakhouse and people do poo poo like eat half of their prime-grade ribeye, please tell me that stuff doesn't just end up in the trash. People take that home for steak and eggs or it gets turned into staff meals or something, right?

Uh.

What.

I mean, I've eaten my share off diners plates before, but that's usually after I personally have fulled assessed whether it will kill me. I don't know if I'd trust anyone else to do that kind of judgment or not.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

what the gently caress? No.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

lol dude that poo poo is a biohazard. hold at arms length, and dump in trash holding nose.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anothergod posted:

Uh.

What.

I mean, I've eaten my share off diners plates before, but that's usually after I personally have fulled assessed whether it will kill me. I don't know if I'd trust anyone else to do that kind of judgment or not.

What the gently caress?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
When I worked at a sushi place I definitely ate a piece a handful of times but that's easy to see what's touched and not. Most of the people there did and it was at a nicer place.

But not a half eaten steak or chewed on food...

goodness fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Eww.

Ewwwww.

No. Just no.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Liquid Communism posted:

Eww.

Ewwwww.

No. Just no.

Embrace the trough.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, uneaten food goes in the bin.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What the gently caress?

Situations where it gets approval

1) They're my real life personal friends
2) I'm going to bang them later

I dunno. Maybe I'm going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Seems more reasonable than just eating stranger's scraps, I guess?

• Locked thread