Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't know if it is said directly in the movie, but the director said he's gone for over a year and the end of the movie brings him around to the present.

That means his car crash is happening sometime around Winter Soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Edit: Christine says something about him being gone, but I forget if she says anything specific about months or years.

I don't think so. I was keeping an ear out trying to spot any sort of timeframe and the only one I remember off the top of my head when it comes to training is 'he's been outside for five hours."

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
I thought one of the awards in his apartment pre-accident, or maybe when he's clearly been selling them off for cash, has 2016 engraved on it. The timeline seems a bit confused if so but I suppose it doesn't really matter - not when the film is such good fun.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
With the time stone we can get some truly hosed up Marvel Time sliding. "You see, Iron Man revealing himself was and always will be 5 years ago."

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
It is only prop stuff, but plaques in Strange's house pre-accident are for awards granted to him in 2016.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know if it is said directly in the movie, but the director said he's gone for over a year and the end of the movie brings him around to the present.

That means his car crash is happening sometime around Winter Soldier.

Must be after, because he's one of the names targeted by that gunship thing, and he's in NY at the time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I thought it was around Civil War because they mention a man needing surgery for a crash in experimental armor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think War Machine's armor is considered experimental anymore. Hammer's was though. You see the guy do a semi-180 as part of a test.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IUG posted:

I don't think War Machine's armor is considered experimental anymore. Hammer's was though. You see the guy do a semi-180 as part of a test.

Yea, that's pretty much what it is. And I assume that we're getting the same sliding time scale of the comics.

And I'm sure if it was Rhodey, they would have said "hey you want to operate on one of the AVENGERS?"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's pretty much what it is. And I assume that we're getting the same sliding time scale of the comics.

And I'm sure if it was Rhodey, they would have said "hey you want to operate on one of the AVENGERS?"

They say Colonel, the guy in the hammer suite was not likely a Colonel.

And yeah, since it's only been tested and produced by one or two guys, I'd say "experimental" still fits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also say 35 and Rhodes is in his 40s

And also the director said it's not Rhodes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The call about the woman in her 20s with an experimental medical implant to treat schizophrenia who was struck by lighting is interesting. Probably how they're re-doing Capt. Marvel's origin to be less Green Lantern-y

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Dacap posted:

The call about the woman in her 20s with an experimental medical implant to treat schizophrenia who was struck by lighting is interesting. Probably how they're re-doing Capt. Marvel's origin to be less Green Lantern-y

Yeah I'm sure that's probably Capt. Marvel.

I can't tell if you're serious or I'm getting whooshed super hard here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's silly enough to be a comic origin story, but it's more DC than Marvel, in Marvel people tend to either be carny's or have science go wrong on them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel has nothing to do with lightning or schizophrenia though. Except the logo on a costume they're not doing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't get how Carol's origins is supposed to be a lot like Green Lantern's? Granted, I don't known the character that well outside of Avengers #200 and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I don't get how Carol's origins is supposed to be a lot like Green Lantern's? Granted, I don't known the character that well outside of Avengers #200 and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

It isn't. Other than they both get powers from space mumbo jumbo, there's nothing connecting the two. If you were talking Nova, yea, that's pretty much Green Lantern right there.

Carol got her powers because she was protected by Mar-Vell when the Psychomagnetron blew up and that put some of his enhanced Kree DNA into Carol and she gained a 3rd lobe in her brain and pretty much all of his powers.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The thing about the injured Colonel in armor is that it is so oddly specific. Almost like it was in the first draft and then someone pointed out that scene took place years ago and couldn't be Rhodey.

I never considered Carol for the schizophrenic. I immediately thought of Aurora.

Marvel MCU: Phase Four: Alpha Flight (2020)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If anyone involving Carol was schizophrenic, it would be Rogue.

You know, hand positions were really important in Doctor Strange, and they are carefully choreographed for Wanda as well, so I wonder if there will be a deeper look into exactly what her powers are. Clearly if the Time Gem can be used for magic, why can't the Mind Gem enable her to tap into the raw essence of chaos magic. I'd love the Scarlet Witch powers to be truly witchcraft and relate more to Strange than anything else.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Heathen posted:

I never considered Carol for the schizophrenic. I immediately thought of Aurora.

She's a Mutant, so that's off the table. I had heard someone posit an origin for Typhoid Mary (maybe in this thread?)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

*cough*Inhumans*cough*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

If anyone involving Carol was schizophrenic, it would be Rogue.

If MCU Carol was schizophrenic it would be an obvious way to include Moonstone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kevin Feige said that Carol is getting a while new origin for her film incarnation.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
who'd be a good casting for Carol? i'm really hyped to see her in the MCU at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brie Larsen was cast like two months ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Brie Larsen would be good!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Rock was cast like two months ago.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I thought it could have something to do with her changing into Binary at some point too

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lovechop posted:

who'd be a good casting for Carol? i'm really hyped to see her in the MCU at some point.
Ryan Reynolds

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Rhyno posted:

Brie Larsen was cast like two months ago.

oh nice, i hadn't heard that. she'll be great :)

irlZaphod posted:

Ryan Reynolds

due to an admin mix-up, ryan reynolds is now playing gwenpool instead

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like that we're discussing Carol's questionable mental state on page 200.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really don't want her to be schizophrenic in the film. I don't trust a superhero movie to handle most mental illnesses with tact and accuracy but especially not that one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus, it'd mean Marvel's first female superhero would be...hysterical.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it supposed to be a big part of her character, actually? I read the first volume of Captain Marvel and I don't recall it coming up.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lobok posted:

I really don't want her to be schizophrenic in the film. I don't trust a superhero movie to handle most mental illnesses with tact and accuracy but especially not that one.

She won't be. This seems like kind of an absurd discussion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

She won't be. This seems like kind of an absurd discussion.
Yeah, I don't know where this is coming from either.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

redbackground posted:

Yeah, I don't know where this is coming from either.

Dr. Strange

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Goons.

I really liked that the Dark Dimension was all black light-y. Makes me think the artists took inspiration from the old Dr Strange blacklight posters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So she was in the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sorry, part of it is my fault. Broken telephone had me thinking we were talking about the character being schizophrenic in the comics.

• Locked thread