Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That Ultimate was piss-easy even with my atrocious hones. Just used them up in the first 2 phases and then Full Break --> Energy Rain basically one-shot Anima and Seymour phase II.

The major ice orbs are a huge deal for me too, now I just need an event to drop a similar number of major lightning orbs and I'll be able to R2 Full Break finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

First try against the U++, I got whittled down pretty quick. Tried again with Instant KO resist accessories, and I crushed the boss with no one ever dipping below half HP. It seems like a weird strategy until you realize that instead of saying "resists instant KO", your accessories are actually saying "gives boss ~20% chance to stun itself every turn" :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh poo poo I got the Tidus OSB! Rikku's SSB too. I actually got an OSB before a single damage BSB.

It seems good :v: probably biased by the crazy synergy stats hitting 99999 on the bosses weak to water

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got the mythril, 11 got me Wakka's Burst, how's that? I always appreciate a burst anyway.

Did a three, got trash. I think that's it for apocalypse unless I can do a couple of singles before the banner goes.

Sapphire Shot and Hydroburst are amazing so far, Tidus and burst melted water weak stuff before, now he's even better.

Battered the bonus bosses. Glad I managed to see someone mentioning gravity resist though, I think the ++ would have got me otherwise.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've been MIA from the game for a couple weeks since I was overseas and couldn't successfully connect to the servers to save my life. Anything on the current banners worth pulling on, or should I wait?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

1st AD posted:

I've been MIA from the game for a couple weeks since I was overseas and couldn't successfully connect to the servers to save my life. Anything on the current banners worth pulling on, or should I wait?

If you have Tidus's Burst (Rasmatazz/Abe's All Star) and especially if you have hat and Quina's golden hairpin, the first FFX banner is really really good. Tidus OSB and BSB and that weapon and the new skills in this event all synergizes magnificently for one of the most potent "everything on one character in a neat little bow" package this side of paladin Cecil Excalibur Funtimes.

Otherwise, there's a lucky draw tonight, then save for Onion Kid or Orlandu

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Otherwise, there's a lucky draw tonight, then save for Onion Kid or Orlandu

Tomorrow. Tonight is the Size Matters Not banner.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is there a place to see what will show up on the banner ahead of time? That site that shows all the upcoming events has relic lists for the events themselves, but I don't see anything for lucky banners.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Welp, this is one thing I can cross off my bucket list.

I had no synergy mage weapons, just a couple of Sorceress's Crowns and a dream. Edea and Ovelia had Full SB meter RMs, Agrias and Fran had Ace Striker/Battleforged, and Papalymo had Attunement II. Everyone had Moderate Fire Resist, while Ovelia had the Major Fire Resist.

Strategy: Edea opens with Inaugural Parade, Agrias and Ovelia use Proshellga, Fran uses Magic Breakdown, Papalymo uses Blizzaja. Next turn, Edea summons a Rinoa BSB, Ovelia immediately heads to use Princess's Prayer for the Magic Blink, Agrias charges up Cleansing Strike with Blizzaga Strike, and Fran begins alternating Breakdowns, while Papalymo keeps on using Blizzaja. I had to get lucky that he wouldn't gank someone really quick by focusing too hard on them from the beginning. Single-target Firaja was usually a death sentence, for example. Once I finally got a good roll, Edea was able to keep up the pressure with Rinoa's Truespell Iceraze (re-establishing Inaugural Parade whenever she could), and eventually Papalymo would use his Enochian Blizzaja in order to get en-ice, at which point he switched over to Chain Blizzaga to charge up more uses and do Quad 9s twice. Agrias and Fran eventually land Cleansing Strike and Mist Overload to take some of the wind out of his sails. Ovelia tries her best to heal everyone as the time comes. Near the end I got some lucky rolls with a couple of physical attacks and Punch, but I did also eat two Meteors. Fran had kicked the bucket and Agrias wasn't too far off, but my two real damage dealers were still doing it right.

I never want to do THAT again.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Would like your opinion, thread. I'd budgeted out a pull on Kain 1, but now that I have Maria BSB, Rydia BSB isn't as attractive a prospect, so I'd basically just be going after Kain BSB and IV synergy. I'm at ~225 mythril, so I'm on track for my planned 2x pulls on OK1 and 3x pulls on Minfilia 1, but I'm wondering whether to axe my Kain 1 pull to budget in a pull on Angeal 1 or an extra OSBfest pull or a pull for Raines BSB. Thoughts?

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Am I missing something or is serah's SSB and yuna's dragon roar ssb that pitifully weak? They never seem to go over 8k damage total. I used Maria's song too!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

superloosegoose posted:

Am I missing something or is serah's SSB and yuna's dragon roar ssb that pitifully weak? They never seem to go over 8k damage total. I used Maria's song too!

you're not missing anything, a 14x magic multiplier just isn't very impressive for a SB bar and a three sec cast. and since they're N-E it never gets any better than that either.

+50% res is nice though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mage SSBs (and thus BSB entries since they have the same general potency ranges) are pretty weak, yeah. This is made up for by mage OSBs, which are vastly stronger than mage SSBs, much more so than physical OSBs are better than physical SSBs.

For comparison, a single target mage SSB is 1800 potency, while a single target physical SSB is 800 potency. Their corresponding OSB values are 4000 and 1200, respectively. That's 122% increased damage for mage OSBs vs 50% increased damage for physical OSBs.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
That's a shame. It sucks that mages are held back so much, maybe more so than monks. Atleast there's some great mage BSBs, but I have a feeling I'll never get one.

Are there any neat mage relics coming up? I hope they add more variety/unique effects so you can make up some bizarre builds. It'd be cool if there was a reflect/mimic that could mirror boss abilities or something.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

superloosegoose posted:

That's a shame. It sucks that mages are held back so much, maybe more so than monks. Atleast there's some great mage BSBs, but I have a feeling I'll never get one.

Are there any neat mage relics coming up? I hope they add more variety/unique effects so you can make up some bizarre builds. It'd be cool if there was a reflect/mimic that could mirror boss abilities or something.
The FFXIV banner nobody will stop talking about has some of the best mage relics in the game on it, notably Alphinaud's BSB and Papalymo's Ley Lines. You've also got Raines's BSB on the event after it, and Rinoa's OSB/Quistis's BSB on the banner 2 of the FFVIII event coming up soon.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

superloosegoose posted:

Are there any neat mage relics coming up?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

That's a good breakdown of what's coming up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The FFXIV banner nobody will stop talking about has some of the best mage relics in the game on it, notably Alphinaud's BSB and Papalymo's Ley Lines. You've also got Raines's BSB on the event after it, and Rinoa's OSB/Quistis's BSB on the banner 2 of the FFVIII event coming up soon.

Alphinaud's SSB is almost as good as his BSB; the BSB has magic-powerchain and self-ether bursts and an Enwind entry, but the SSB is basically the Maria's Song buff with an attached Radiant Shield (aka "the enemy takes whatever damage they do to you"). Ley Lines is basically Sheepsong with Quickcast instead of High Regen, which means it's broken as hell, too, yeah.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I did an 11 on the "Size Matters Not" banner 'cause I couldn't resist the shiny thing. I got just the one rainbow orb. It was the shiny thing. :swoon:

So why doesn't Tyro have synergy in this dungeon?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

There have been some oddities overall with the bravery synergy in these events. Exdeath I can see not being counted as male, considering trees don't tend to have a gender, but Shadow?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

"Size Matters Not" Synergy == "hope you have well-honed summons because here's all the summoners. and Gau."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

"Size Matters Not" Synergy == "hope you have well-honed summons because here's all the summoners. and Gau."

Hey now, Vivi, Mog, Rikku and Larsa exist. :colbert:

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

superloosegoose posted:

nevermind just got hope's bsb on a single yank.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hey now, Vivi, Mog, Rikku and Larsa exist. :colbert:

Well, someone needs to heal if Eiko isn't, and Rikku's your source of hitting that "lower Magic" medal condition. :v:

Vivi just sort of exists.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I'm most confused as to why Shantotto isn't on the size list.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

The notification describes it as "youngsters". Shantotto and Papalymo aren't kids, they're potatoes. :colbert:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Shantotto is 31 and Papalymo is in his 40s, they are among the older FF characters.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

Because she'll blow your face off with magic and laugh like a queen after doing it.

KataraniSword posted:

Alphinaud's SSB is almost as good as his BSB; the BSB has magic-powerchain and self-ether bursts and an Enwind entry, but the SSB is basically the Maria's Song buff with an attached Radiant Shield (aka "the enemy takes whatever damage they do to you"). Ley Lines is basically Sheepsong with Quickcast instead of High Regen, which means it's broken as hell, too, yeah.

Yeah, I picked up both of Al's JP side and they are crazy useful. Using Deployment Tactics before I ate a Counter Meteor from the Behemoth Ult in the WoFF event and dealing about 20k back to him for it was delightful.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Does this mean Tyro is actually 40?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Well, someone needs to heal if Eiko isn't, and Rikku's your source of hitting that "lower Magic" medal condition. :v:

Vivi just sort of exists.

Use Larsa to heal and Mog to Dance, problem solved.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

100 gems got me Ninurta. Took it for a spin on the piggies and holy poo poo I love this thing.

And now I can pull off a quintuple burst with a RW. If I wanted to. I kinda do.

E: also is it only me just doing these fights with my A team and crushing everything? There a reason to use the synergy characters?

McDragon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 8, 2016

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

McDragon posted:

100 gems got me Ninurta. Took it for a spin on the piggies and holy poo poo I love this thing.

And now I can pull off a quintuple burst with a RW. If I wanted to. I kinda do.

E: also is it only me just doing these fights with my A team and crushing everything? There a reason to use the synergy characters?

No reason to use synergy unless you have to or want to challenge yourself or something. I've been blowing them up with my A team as well.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Geocities Homepage King posted:

No reason to use synergy unless you have to or want to challenge yourself or something. I've been blowing them up with my A team as well.

This is a single player game and everyone can play their own way, but your method seems incredibly dull. For me half the fun of these fights is using characters you normally wouldn't, taking advantage of a mechanic the designers obviously intended.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh hey, I got Rydia's SSB from my 100 gem. I will look forward to unleashing Papa Odin on my hapless foes. :getin:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Benthalus posted:

This is a single player game and everyone can play their own way, but your method seems incredibly dull. For me half the fun of these fights is using characters you normally wouldn't, taking advantage of a mechanic the designers obviously intended.

Brave synergy is so powerful that characters under Brave synergy will likely be stronger than your average A team, so I don't really see much of a difference, especially since these are pretty easy bosses. It's not like a Cid Mission where you're going in with drastically reduced power and being forced to come up with a strategy to work around the issue.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There have been some oddities overall with the bravery synergy in these events. Exdeath I can see not being counted as male, considering trees don't tend to have a gender, but Shadow?

Maybe it's a super oblique reference to that line in the game referring to Shadow as "she" because the translator only saw the Relm scenario.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I'm totally bringing Rydia in her adult wardrobe, because someone needs to keep these little shits in line.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
It's always irrationally irritated me that they used an adult sprite base for Hope instead of one like the other kids. Size literally matters not apparently!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

superloosegoose posted:

nevermind just got hope's bsb on a single yank.

McDragon posted:

100 gems got me Ninurta.

what up fellow got Hope's BSB on a dollar pull goons

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
There is something quite hilarious about bringing 4 summoners and Rikku for medals and ending the fight on turn 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
11x pull got me Vivi's staff and Rydia's, whip. Finally, a weapon for Rydia! :toot:

The Nereids were kind of a joke, but I guess these battles weren't meant to be that difficult. The orbs rewards though, yum.

Now the real struggle: saving up for Mog's (eventual) Earth Bell or being tempted by Kain 1 and/or Onion 1.

• Locked thread