Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Lime Tonics posted:

If you have a samsung washing machine, you could have a BOMB! in your house.

Samsung, CPSC Recalling 2.8 Million Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Explosion

“We’re talking about ... a very serious hazard of the top of these washing machines completely blowing off,” Elliot Kaye, the chairman of the CPSC, told “GMA” Investigates in an interview that aired Friday on “GMA.” “It is a lot of reports.”

Kaye said the tops of the affected units weren’t “secured enough based on a design failure. And the top just completely blows off.”

The recall affects 34 of Samsung's top-loading models that were sold from March 2011 to November 2016.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/samsung-cpsc-recalling-28-million-top-loading-washing/story?id=43291726

Video inside showing WASHING MACHINE CARNAGE.

No loving joke. I had one of them. They lift off and violently throw themselves around the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tony Snark posted:

Not really, it's the normal usual ratio of individuals that can be trusted to safely use dangerous thing versus the hordes of idiots that shouldn't be trusted with anything more complicated than a spoon.
This thread wouldn't exist without it.

There's a ford in my town where a stream runs across a back road. After heavy rain, it becomes impassable but the extensive warning signs and the fact that you're basically driving into a loving lake doesn't deter drivers from routinely cheerfully plowing into 7 feet of water.

"No more can be done to stop "idiotic" drivers getting stuck in Charvil ford, says highways chief"

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/no-more-can-done-stop-6521474

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skarsnik posted:

Nah you're right, they totally didn't think of that over the last however many years

Give em a call, let them know you solved it :thumbsup:

There are idiots out there practicing idiot engineering and from what I see the south tends to have a good concentration of them. I managed an asphalt paving contract this summer with one street that had a hospital overpass with a little over 14-foot clearance. I reminded my inspector a few times that the contractor should mill 3-inches of pavement and replace it with 3-inches of asphalt underneath the overpass. I also told the contractor the same and guess what happened? There is the same clearance now as before. Magic!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

So glad that bus is there, makes the tractor trailer look like it just materializes out of nowhere to body slam that VW.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neutrino posted:

There are idiots out there practicing idiot engineering and from what I see the south tends to have a good concentration of them. I managed an asphalt paving contract this summer with one street that had a hospital overpass with a little over 14-foot clearance. I reminded my inspector a few times that the contractor should mill 3-inches of pavement and replace it with 3-inches of asphalt underneath the overpass. I also told the contractor the same and guess what happened? There is the same clearance now as before. Magic!

Then call them

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Let us know what they say so it can be added to the OP

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Neutrino posted:

what year in engineering wizard school do they teach you the spell for making smug remarks based on an inference from an estimated 2 inch differential eyeballed from a lovely jpeg?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
from a cost benefit standpoint it doesn't make sense for the city to spend money on the road if only one idiot a month gets stuck and no damage is done to public property

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

food court bailiff posted:

what year in engineering wizard school do they teach you the spell for making smug remarks based on an inference from an estimated 2 inch differential eyeballed from a lovely jpeg?

The first rule of Engineering Wizard School is don't talk about Engineering Wizard School.

(shh, it's after double hydraulic potions your 4th year)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bacon Taco posted:

The first rule of Engineering Wizard School is don't talk about Engineering Wizard School.

well poo poo then, cuz homeslice is in trouble:

Neutrino posted:

This is civil engineering 101and is the reason why engineers have to get a degree and licensure to practice and yes, I have both.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

According to every engineer I've ever met in the field they are all capable of doing any job better than you. Therefore I can't see his solution not working.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The people who did the planning/work on that street could have easily hosed up.

If everybody in the world had the appropriate competence in their jobs and never cut corners, this thread wouldn't exist

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

According to every engineer I've ever met in the field they are all capable of doing any job better than you. Therefore I can't see his solution not working.

Nuetrino sounds like all of those "less than 5 years ago I was still in school, so my knowledge is current" insufferable shits that join a team and have ideas to "fix everything, if you olds would just listen!"

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

flosofl posted:

Nuetrino sounds like all of those "less than 5 years ago I was still in school, so my knowledge is current" insufferable shits that join a team and have ideas to "fix everything, if you olds would just listen!"

I'm an engineer and I have to admit that I have zero idea how to go about fixing that issue, if indeed it needs to be fixed. I have zero experience with asphalt, bridges, trains, roads, or concrete.

And nothing in my field is current, it's all from the 60s and 70s (or earlier).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

I'm an engineer and I have to admit that I have zero idea how to go about fixing that issue, if indeed it needs to be fixed. I have zero experience with asphalt, bridges, trains, roads, or concrete.

And nothing in my field is current, it's all from the 60s and 70s (or earlier).

Oh, I'm not a civil engineer either, but diagnosing a problem and offering an authoritative solution from incomplete information, like crappy jpegs, is douchebaggery that spans many technical fields. I've seen it before, and I'll see it again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

According to the website, the 11'8 bridge is a good 100 years old. That would explain why it doesn't conform to regulations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

As a software engineer I

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clearly they should just install an Einstein-Rosen bridge to solve this problem

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

According to the website, the 11'8 bridge is a good 100 years old. That would explain why it doesn't conform to regulations.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it was intentionally built as it is in order to keep mass transit from being able to reach the other side of the city so as to prevent "undesirables" from living on the right side of the tracks. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
In my engineering opinion, the city should take the sewer pipeline and completely rethink it. Run it up and over the railroad tracks in a artistically-inspired parabola and use a huge pump to make the sewage flow up through the pipe and over to the other side. Make it out of mirror-finished stainless steel with plexiglass windows to let light through, call it the Arc de Merde (Arch of poo poo) and voila! an instant tourist attraction for the hoi polloi. With the roadway thus cleared, Durham can dig out the trench to their heart's delight. Everyone wins.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just a reminder this person took out this bridge because she didn't know how many pounds 6 tons was, and didn't know how to back up the truck.

The problem isn't this bridge or that bridge. You can't engineer a solution to severe human stupidity out of steel and asphalt.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just a reminder this person took out this bridge because she didn't know how many pounds 6 tons was, and didn't know how to back up the truck.

The problem isn't this bridge or that bridge. You can't engineer a solution to severe human stupidity out of steel and asphalt.

Love all the townies hanging out to check out that thar crashed truck with zero concern for the stability of the bridge or the vehicle.

Edit: and I'm a software engineer IN TRUCKING!

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 8, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powershift posted:

Well you can overengineer anything to nearly any risk percent as you want, and I don't mean just fudging the numbers. For example with road underpasses going underneath existing infrastructure, you can fill it in and make the road an overpass because rail cargo has fairly specific height.

The obvious drawback with idiot proofing anything is cash money. But the comical underpass example is a often used example in administrative vs engineering solutions. Signage is an administrative solution and subject to misinterpretation due to missing it, being terminally dumb, etc. Replacing the underpass with an overpass that allows all road and rail traffic through without any danger is possible and expensive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

Well you can overengineer anything to nearly any risk percent as you want, and I don't mean just fudging the numbers. For example with road underpasses going underneath existing infrastructure, you can fill it in and make the road an overpass because rail cargo has fairly specific height.

The obvious drawback with idiot proofing anything is cash money. But the comical underpass example is a often used example in administrative vs engineering solutions. Signage is an administrative solution and subject to misinterpretation due to missing it, being terminally dumb, etc. Replacing the underpass with an overpass that allows all road and rail traffic through without any danger is possible and expensive.

Really it just all comes down to money. There's not really any risk to life, can-opening a truck just costs a bit of money to repair things.

So sure, you could build an overpass instead. Is it actually worthwhile (compared with just adding more signage) to save $X/year in damage?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why don't they just shrink the trucks

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Replace the sample height barrier with a tempered sharp wedge and pre-peel the morons.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Just install an ED-209 at the bridge to shoot the drivers of any overheight trucks, duh. This solution would be obvious to anyone who has a degree in roboengineering like I do.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
You're all wrong about this.

Based on my extensive experience in Euro Truck SImulator, the solution is to drive the truck really, really fast and jump the railway using the embankment as a ramp instead of taking the underpass.

Really, it's trivially easy and I'm amazed the city authorities have overlooked it for so long.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Add a catapult for trucks with speed limiters.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So what solutions are there to the 11-8 bridge? Let's talk about those some more.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

they should adjust the phase of the bridge so it's corporeal to trains but not to trucks boom problem solved

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they should build another bridge on top of the railway bridge, and make this one 2 inches too short for trains

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

add a wedge to the front of the bridge that squeezes trucks down til they can fit under it.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
use the trains to carry the trucks and leave the roads for cyclists and cars

bend
Dec 31, 2012
honestly the easiest solution is to build up the road and make it a flat crossing, not an overpass. Admittedly that probably brings in all sorts of traffic control and timing issues, and costs more than dragging trucks out from under the bridge and fining the idiot driving though, but it is more or less a one off cost if you were really determined to solve it.
I'd guess that it's been considered and rejected for one reason or another though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

JoelJoel posted:

So what solutions are there to the 11-8 bridge? Let's talk about those some more.

Add a treadmill before the bridge

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bend posted:

honestly the easiest solution is to build up the road and make it a flat crossing, not an overpass. Admittedly that probably brings in all sorts of traffic control and timing issues, and costs more than dragging trucks out from under the bridge and fining the idiot driving though, but it is more or less a one off cost if you were really determined to solve it.
I'd guess that it's been considered and rejected for one reason or another though.

But then you get idiots stopping their trucks across the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bend posted:

Now instead of idiots driving trucks under the bridge and causing a little bit of easily-fixed property damage, you have idiots driving across the tracks and getting people killed.

Replacing a grade-separated crossing with an at-grade one is literally going backwards.