Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Now instead of idiots driving trucks under the bridge and causing a little bit of easily-fixed property damage, you have idiots driving across the tracks and getting people killed.

Replacing a grade-separated crossing with an at-grade one is literally going backwards.

Counterpoint: they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

tactlessbastard posted:

Counterpoint: they deserve it.

The children in the back seat really don't.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Jabor posted:

Now instead of idiots driving trucks under the bridge and causing a little bit of easily-fixed property damage, you have idiots driving across the tracks and getting people killed.

Replacing a grade-separated crossing with an at-grade one is literally going backwards.

I didn't say it solved the problem of idiots existing or was even a good idea, just the simplest way to stop people crashing into the bridge.
edit: plus while most idiots apparently don't seem to understand the concept of tape measures I'm fairly sure that a train crossing gate that's actually in the way will at least lower the chances of getting hit.
Actually, now that I think about that's a better idea, link up a crossing gate to a height sensor at the intersection right before and don't actually allow overheight vehicles to go further. It'd be difficult to implement though without absolutely loving traffic flow but there'd have to be a way around that surely.

bend fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 8, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/yT9SBet.mp4

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

The children in the back seat really don't.

Think of the children!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Add a treadmill before the bridge

That only works for airplanes, not trucks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Give the bridge a gun

Give the trucks guns

Give the trains a guns

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IPCRESS posted:

You're all wrong about this.

Based on my extensive experience in Euro Truck SImulator, the solution is to drive the truck really, really fast and jump the railway using the embankment as a ramp instead of taking the underpass.

Really, it's trivially easy and I'm amazed the city authorities have overlooked it for so long.

Make all the trucks do this so they fit underneath the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnua2l5UmIk

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
thought this was the schadenfreude thread

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 8, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Powershift posted:

Just a reminder this person took out this bridge because she didn't know how many pounds 6 tons was

another victim to US customary units

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Prav posted:

another victim to US customary units

To be fair, it’s harder to remember how many newtons are in a ton.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
There was a long underpass near where I used to live that had a 6" difference in clearance from one end to the other due to a slow grade. Worse than a can opener is being halfway through what's basically a tunnel THEN getting stuck.

It surprisingly didn't happen a ton but I personally witnessed at least a dozen. It's the quickest (and most frequent on GPS) route to the train yard and industrial parks that most of them would be on their way to. The other option is at least 5 miles around.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GotLag posted:

But then you get idiots stopping their trucks across the tracks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Make all the trucks do this so they fit underneath the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnua2l5UmIk

for a truck with a nominally square profile, driving on two wheels makes it taller by a factor of √2, dumbass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

To be fair, it’s harder to remember how many newtons are in a ton.

newton? what was wrong with the old ton??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

for a truck with a nominally square profile, driving on two wheels makes it taller by a factor of √2, dumbass

make everything drive on two wheels with a 13'6" limit by default. when theres a low bridge, they just plop down flat and there's tons of clearance. solved

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Powershift posted:

Just a reminder this person took out this bridge because she didn't know how many pounds 6 tons was

My knee-jerk reaction was a thousand kilos per ton, but then I remembered that there are backward nations that don't use metric and so google'd it... where, at worst, it's less than 10% different. So yes, it's more a case of a driver not knowing wtf they where doing.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Serephina posted:

My knee-jerk reaction was a thousand kilos per ton, but then I remembered that there are backward nations that don't use metric and so google'd it... where, at worst, it's less than 10% different. So yes, it's more a case of a driver not knowing wtf they where doing.

I looked up what her truck actually weighed.

It was 30 tons. And until the previous year she had never driven any vehicle because she grew up Amish!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I think they should just raise the bridge.

E: or maybe just lower the road below.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

make everything drive on two wheels with a 13'6" limit by default. when theres a low bridge, they just plop down flat and there's tons of clearance. solved

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Trucks over 102 inches wide cannot drive on Interstate highways without oversize permits. That’s 8½ feet.

If they had square profiles, they’d clear the bridge with over three feet to spare. :colbert:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

just delete the bridge and hit page-up one more time before plopping it back

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i went back in time to when the bridge was constructed and planned the whole thing

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Replace the sample height barrier with a tempered sharp wedge and pre-peel the morons.

They have already done this!
They got tired of having to fix the bridge, so that metal the trucks are hitting is just there to pre-peel the trucks, take a look at the pictures.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Maybe if they put an airframe parachute on the bridge?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they should rig up a system to drop a 400 lb concrete block in front of all overheight trucks

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Have the road corkscrew with rollers, so trucks can pass under it at a ninety degree angle. Or just setup a better camera system and profit off the idiots with viral videos.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They should have an oil sprayer in front of the bridge to lube up the trucks before the go in

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure someone has said this but just lower the road a foot or two around the area where the road goes under the bridge. All it involves is some digging and re-surfacing. Here is a picture:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
There's a sewer main under the road. It has been mentioned about ten thousand times. Read the thread before posting in it.

I want to put this thread in one of those open top tour busses and drive under the bridge.

What has a bridge got to do with OSHA anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Splode posted:

There's a sewer main under the road. It has been mentioned about ten thousand times. Read the thread before posting in it.

Convert the sewer+road into a ford, so that trucks and turds can share the same space.

Seems pretty easy, with no drawbacks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I really think we should get to the bottom of this. There has to be an obvious solution that's being overlooked.

Alternatively there may even be reasons not to do those things.

Can we talk about these solutions and reasons?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Assembly/disassembly line on each side of the bridge, transport the parts through your precious sewer pipes

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
They should just brick it up permanently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then paint a tunnel on it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Big trapdoor in the intersection. When an overheight truck tries to drive though it suddenly disappears from sight with a 'wah-wanh' sound effect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Motherfuckers need a Falkirk wheel.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Splode posted:

I want to put this thread in one of those open top tour busses and drive under the bridge.

What has a bridge got to do with OSHA anyway.

Well just move the sewer slightly lower. Another idea is to make the road under the bridge inclined and curved and have vehicles move at like 80 mph under the bridge in a curve so tall trucks will tilt diagonally and miss the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neutrino posted:

There are idiots out there practicing idiot engineering and from what I see the south tends to have a good concentration of them. I managed an asphalt paving contract this summer with one street that had a hospital overpass with a little over 14-foot clearance. I reminded my inspector a few times that the contractor should mill 3-inches of pavement and replace it with 3-inches of asphalt underneath the overpass. I also told the contractor the same and guess what happened? There is the same clearance now as before. Magic!

What's a "3-inch"?