Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those seats are extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I got up (er well stayed up) before the sun came out. Cleaned up the garage and washed her before the sun even knew she was out.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Looking good. Are you happy with the body work?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya it came out fine. Only issue is a spot on the driver sill. Just going to get some sill plates eventually so it won't be any issue. Haven't run into any mechanical issues other than the speakers in the driver door randomly shorting and stopping working til a reset. Got that sorted.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fknlo posted:

They finally sent me a quote

$1k more than last week. Still listed at $22k on their website of course. I'm also not sure about adding my sales tax for where I live into their price even if that's standard in Virginia. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can only pay when you register here.

It's pretty common everywhere, I thought at least, to include the sales tax in the purchase price of the vehicle. When you go to register the car you just bring your paperwork showing that the tax has already been paid and they shouldn't have any issues with that. It's a very common practice.

If you're still worried about it for some reason, just ask them to take the tax off and you'll pay it yourself when you register. Don't think there should be any problem with that idea either, unless you were planning on financing the car then you'd also be financing the 2k in taxes as well vs paying it as one big lump sum at the DMV when you register.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah when I bought my last car it was out of state, and they applied the tax but when I registered it they didn't make me pay again here in Texas.

I'm sure the law varies state to state, but at least in Texas, you can't take the tax off a sale unless the dealer delivers the car directly to you out of state.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
My RS hits US shores tomorrow. Soon enough I'll be hot hatch worthy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah when I bought my last car it was out of state, and they applied the tax but when I registered it they didn't make me pay again here in Texas.

I'm sure the law varies state to state, but at least in Texas, you can't take the tax off a sale unless the dealer delivers the car directly to you out of state.

The only time you can get out of sales tax is military stationed out of state, registering in your home state, when the vehicle won't be used in that state.

And even that varies state by state.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Mountune fist intercooler available for 425 using some combination of coupon codes. Details in r /fiestast. Very tempted to do it even though I wasn't planning on doing any tuning for a while.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those seats are extremely good.

They're recaro sportsters (show up in a few cars like focus rs, nismo 370z and last gen RenaultSports), they are awesome but are taint destroyers for the unwary.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
At my dealership at least (in NY) we are able to register cars in other states through a broker and the tax is collected at the sales tax rate for the state its being registered in. We aren't legally allowed to let someone drive off without at least a pending registration and a paper in transit plate. NYS sales tax is only collected if they live in state.

Definitely check your dmv regs before doing anything as they might tell you that you still owe sales tax when you go to register it and that it doesn't matter that you paid another state. I know NY doesn't give a poo poo as they want their money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

spleen merchant posted:

They're recaro sportsters (show up in a few cars like focus rs, nismo 370z and last gen RenaultSports), they are awesome but are taint destroyers for the unwary.

I loved the Recarros in my GLI, but man the weave was so tight you couldn't even fart in em. Didn't do well on hot days.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I still haven't felt seats more comfortable than the cloth seats from the first gen RX8. I could sit in those for days.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Moving from a first gen MS3 to a current model 3 I think I miss the seats more than anything else (even the vast power difference). Mazda was pretty onto it back then.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got an initial dyno tune update on my Veloster Turbo. At 223whp and 252wtq. Still dealing with limiters that were keeping from about 10-20whp in gains.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 6, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Moving from a first gen MS3 to a current model 3 I think I miss the seats more than anything else (even the vast power difference). Mazda was pretty onto it back then.

The Alcantara seats from the 08.5/09 GT were the One True Seat. One of the things I miss most after selling mine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

The Alcantara seats from the 08.5/09 GT were the One True Seat. One of the things I miss most after selling mine.

Amen. The best seats I've ever owned.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Recaro seats out of a mk2 VW that I had in my cabby were probably my favorite seats. They were comfy. The seats in my s2k are pretty good too.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I'm looking at some used Focus ST's in my area, 2014's to be exact. Is there anything in specific I should be looking for besides the normal used car stuff? They seem to range from around 14k-18k depending on trim level and miles.

I miss having a hot hatch. Sold my WRX hatch to save up for a house, but that's been settled for awhile now and my current DD is pretty terrible.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Christobevii3 posted:

Got an initial dyno tune update on my Veloster Turbo. At 223whp and 252wtq. Still dealing with limiters that were keeping from about 10-20whp in gains.

Looks like a pretty decent gain, what mods have you done otherwise? I haven't been keeping up.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Intake, 60mm tb from stock 57mm from elantra, solid hot pipe vs weird thing they had, catted downpipe, and greddy exhaust. Tuner is still learning things so should be getting to around 240whp and 270-280wtq. If I get rid of the cat I should be able to get to 260whp and 300-310wtq once I upgrade my intercooler. The intercooler has small inlet/outlets and flows poorly and heats up quick. Stock with bolt ons was 190whp and 207wtq.

The 16' veloster r-specs and rallys definitely have about 20whp more than the 13-15 turbo models. For a 1.6L not bad when you consider the weight difference to a gti or focus st. Some people are reporting getting new cars for $18k now too from dealers. Shame they didn't put a limited slip in the car though. Stock suspension and handling is somewhat terrible but a little camber, tires, and bolt ons running with the rs at autocross locally. I'm in a much higher class but not pushing much in what that allows.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
VW is buying back my Golf TDI and I would like to get something that's at least as fun to drive. I also really want Android Auto or something really similar. I have a big dog and do lots of DIY so the Veloster, Fiesta ST and the Mini are out. The Golf, GTI or the Sportwagen look nice, but I'm a little gun shy when it comes to VW right now. The Mazda 3 also looks like a nice option. Any other options I should look into? And will Subaru ever bring back the WRX Hatchback?

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 7, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Amen. The best seats I've ever owned.

:same:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

VW is buying back my Golf TDI and I would like to get something that's at least as fun to drive. I also really want Android Auto or something really similar. I have a big dog and do lots of DIY so the Veloster, Fiesta ST and the Mini are out. The Golf, GTI or the Sportwagen look nice, but I'm a little gun shy when it comes to VW right now. The Mazda 3 also looks like a nice option. Any other options I should look into? And will Subaru ever bring back the WRX Hatchback?

I love my current gen 3 but a hot hatch it is not.

Also the Mazdaconnect system is nice to use but doesn't have anything like Car play/Android auto - personally I prefer it that way but if you're wanting anything more than normal Bluetooth it'll be a letdown.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Did you consider the Focus ST? 2016s are getting android auto next month in a software update, and if you're waiting for a 2017 it'll come with it. I'm with you on the size of the Fiesta ST. It's a big reason I went for the Focus over it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Winter shoes are on they look meh, but will be easy to clean salt and sludge out of. The real stars are the blizzaks anyway.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Winter shoes are on they look meh, but will be easy to clean salt and sludge out of. The real stars are the blizzaks anyway.

I think that looks awesome. Not meh at all. Nice car.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Why is the veloster out? Android auto is available as software upgrade for 2016's with navigation unit. Size should be slightly bigger behind the VW GTI in the back area. You should be able to really harass a dealer to get a 2016 veloster turbo down about $6k off msrp if you want to. That puts you at about $20-21k range for one with the navigation unit and how much you get them to give you.

ex:
http://www.northparkhyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2016-Hyundai-Veloster-8ebacea80a0e0adf3843aba0cc1fbda3.htm

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 8, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Aren't all velosters just 2 doors with that one 3rd half door? Dude said he had a big dog so I guess that's why it would be out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The half door is fine for people under 5'11" and not goon diet. Seats fold flat so tons of room for a dog. Can fold each half individually too if you want the dog to roam in there or not. I was thinking the android auto is why it was out.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Does it have back windows that roll down? Your dog wants its own windows that roll down. :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

More cars need 4Runner style rear glass.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy had it figured out in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0fShIQIpQ

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The 3/4 door has a window that rolls 1/2 down.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tomie knows me posted:

Did you consider the Focus ST? 2016s are getting android auto next month in a software update, and if you're waiting for a 2017 it'll come with it. I'm with you on the size of the Fiesta ST. It's a big reason I went for the Focus over it.

I forgot about the Focus ST. I'll check that out.

Christobevii3 posted:

Why is the veloster out? Android auto is available as software upgrade for 2016's with navigation unit. Size should be slightly bigger behind the VW GTI in the back area. You should be able to really harass a dealer to get a 2016 veloster turbo down about $6k off msrp if you want to. That puts you at about $20-21k range for one with the navigation unit and how much you get them to give you.

ex:
http://www.northparkhyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2016-Hyundai-Veloster-8ebacea80a0e0adf3843aba0cc1fbda3.htm

I excluded the veloster because of size, but I could take another look. When I test drove the 2014 it seemed a little small in the back, but you're saying it has more cargo area than a GTI?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The room from the hatch to the seats is slightly bigger than the 4dr gti but not as tall. Take some measurements to verify since edmunds says not. When I looked the veloster seemed more usable grocery space. I drove both back to back and due to price at the time and vw repairs and insurance i went with the veloster turbo r spec. Gti will have more headroom in rear seats from flat roof line though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ask Bajaha about his Veloster

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have 14k miles on a 2016 from november 2015 for reference with 0 issues on a manual. If buying a DCT or a 2013 there are issues to consider from your own research.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

blk posted:

Ask Bajaha about his Veloster

My coworker has a Veloster Turbo. He bought it because he had a Veloster, which he bought because he had a Tiburon and loved it. The rear view camera randomly turns on and won't turn off, the radio turns itself off when it feels like it, it randomly resets the clock to noon, the stock suspension feels like the shocks are blown (insufficient damping) when it's carrying just 500 lbs, and the inside/rear is surprisingly small. Also it's relatively heavy for a car of that size. I guess it looks cool from some angles?

EDIT: Yeah he took it back to the dealership like 4 times and they weren't able to fix anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If he needs struts I have r specs with a couple thousand miles on them. The rally and r spec had stiffer dampers. The radio the dealer should fix. I've had no issues as described.

My wife's wt Chevy has way more weird "normal" issues according to the dealer. Switch from recirculation to outside air and the cabin pressurizes with such force your ears hurt for a while after popping. Door handle lock button won't work half the time if you unlock with a key. Requires me to turn truck on to power unlock passenger side. Then airbag software recall disabling air bags.

Dealers are incompetent to repair things.