Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Bet you can have a snorkle fabbed for $5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nm posted:

Bet you can have a snorkle fabbed for $5000.

While this is true, in the time that I've been missing my car I gave much long and hard thought to how long I want to have it. I also thought a lot about it's open differential and ability to slog through mud. And while I could continue to rally drive it to work every day, and perhaps still will from time to time, I'd like to have a high riding 4WD for winter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Maybe something like a Ford Explorer?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Mother-in-law wants to get a car because she's sick of borrowing ours to make trips around town. She's on a fixed income and lives with us so her budget is tight, but she won't be putting much mileage on it. Plus our uncle is a mechanic and can inspect/repair anything that comes up at cost.

Proposed Budget: $2500
New or Used: Used Obviously
Body Style: Mid-sized sedan. She's a big lady so compacts are out
How will you be using the car?: Strictly to go from house to grocery to church and back. Less than 1k miles/yr, no freeway driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Cheap and semi-reliable. Looking at used the Hondas and Toyotas have a minimum price floor above our range so they're probably out. ~100k miles we're seeing some early 2000s Ford Tauruses in our range that seem like decent buys (she had one previously), not sure what other models we should be looking at.

You want to check out late 90's Camry/Maxima/Accord, in that order.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe something like a Ford Explorer?

Yeah, maybe. The Frontier wasn't 4wd like the ad said, and the Liberty, while nice to find in a manual, has more play in the stick than I've ever seen on anything and it has a leaky rear end "that was just swapped out!" :smith:

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

As was foretold I have purchased a 2014 RDX, AWD Tech. It has 33k miles and I got it for $24k. I feel pretty good about the purchase.

Thanks for all your help AI. I hope I'm not back any time soon

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would be inclined to buy the 2017 because it is very likely that there were a lot of incremental improvements in the model year refresh that don't really make headlines but will significantly improve overall reliability.
Thanks.

nm posted:

FYI, the 2016 Civic is the first civic consumer reports hasn't recommended since the early 80s due to reliability issues. Maybe they've fixed the 17s, but I would avoid the 16s.
Yeah, but a lot of that seems to be based on their hatred of the infotainment system. I couldn't really find any other complaints about the car otherwise.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I took a 10 hour road trip in a rented Prius C and averaged a hair over 49 mpg going between 65 and 75 mph most of the way.
Good information - thank you!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I relearned to drive a manual and now I kind of want a new Yaris sedan (the Mazda2/Scion iA one). It's relatively new, but is there anything wrong with it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
They look awful. Buy a mazda2 in puerto rico and import it and be cool.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, but a lot of that seems to be based on their hatred of the infotainment system. I couldn't really find any other complaints about the car otherwise.

Good information - thank you!

The question is whether it is breaking or a UI issue. If it is breaking, an infotainment system breaking means you lose your audio and hvac system, which sucks rear end.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nm posted:

^^^^^

The question is whether it is breaking or a UI issue. If it is breaking, an infotainment system breaking means you lose your audio and hvac system, which sucks rear end.

The complaint is that there is no knob for the volume, and that the touchscreen can be slow and annoying to use. Otherwise the car was highly rated by CR. To add to that, a lot of the consumer complaints seem to be related to Bluetooth connectivity.

Of course, compared to the Prius, the Civic looks like a total disaster...

EDIT: Got the dealer down to $21,500 on the Civic EX-T so far. Decisions, decisions... :ohdear:

DOUBLE EDIT: Fucker tried to pull some bullshit, so I'm back to $22,075.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 7, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nm posted:

^^^^^

Is this really an option? A hatchback iA would be an absolutely killer car.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I really wanted to want a Prius but without using up all the space on the back seat it just doesn't have the storage my wife and I want for camping trips w/ some additional passengers in the car. Was also looking at Mazda 3s (because they are fun) but the storage space is just meh compared to what we are used to (Celica hatch with back seats folded down).

Proposed Budget: Up to around 15k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door, prefer hatchback for dat cargo
How will you be using the car?: Regular camping trips, possible kid in a few years
What aspects are most important to you?: Total cost of ownership, reliability, fun to drive, mpg, high-clearance for minor "off-roading"

Live in California. Looking at Outbacks / Crossovers? Not sure what else we should consider.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Is this really an option? A hatchback iA would be an absolutely killer car.

Yes, but I imagine shipping from PR is expensive.
It needs to be federalized to sell in PR, dunno if it is carb legal (though likely due to toyota selling the same drivetrain in CA).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

khysanth posted:

I really wanted to want a Prius but without using up all the space on the back seat it just doesn't have the storage my wife and I want for camping trips w/ some additional passengers in the car. Was also looking at Mazda 3s (because they are fun) but the storage space is just meh compared to what we are used to (Celica hatch with back seats folded down).

How will you be using the car?: Regular camping trips, possible kid in a few years
What aspects are most important to you?: Total cost of ownership, reliability, fun to drive, mpg, high-clearance for minor "off-roading"

Live in California. Looking at Outbacks / Crossovers? Not sure what else we should consider.

Prius V won't do it?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Said yolo and just put a deposit down on a 2017 Tacoma trd pro manual. Wish me luck!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

khysanth posted:

You can check every one of these boxes with a Honda Fit, besides the 15K price tag. You might be able to haggle a '15 or '16 at that price. They are very surprisingly roomy inside, and the seats fold down better than in most minivans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait, what? 2 year old cars with 20k mileage on them have dead batteries? I know Leafs had very limited range, but that can't be true, can it?

The EPA range was optimistic at best when new, and because Nissan didn't do nearly enough to manage battery temperatures, degradation is severe. I would've leased one but without charging at work, by the end of a 3 year lease I would've been too short on range for a 50mi highway commute with AC on.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

While this is true, in the time that I've been missing my car I gave much long and hard thought to how long I want to have it. I also thought a lot about it's open differential and ability to slog through mud. And while I could continue to rally drive it to work every day, and perhaps still will from time to time, I'd like to have a high riding 4WD for winter.

WJ Grand Cherokee? :getin:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I Love Topanga posted:

As was foretold I have purchased a 2014 RDX, AWD Tech. It has 33k miles and I got it for $24k. I feel pretty good about the purchase.

Thanks for all your help AI. I hope I'm not back any time soon

You chose wisely, sounds like a good deal.

Once upon I was unwise, did not follow the recommendations of this thread, and was punished by the car gods in due course.

It really is impressive how spot on this thread is collectively on giving good advice.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Picked up a 17 Mazda 3 GT hatch. Compared to civic hatch. Cloth interior on civic is loving garbage and leather is merely ok. Cabin felt more spacious than the Mazda and feels larger, but the Mazda has an extremely nice interior (dumb hologram HUD notwithstanding).

Honda has not fixed the essential problem with CVTs despite being hailed as one of the best CVTs on the market. After the rubberband effect the turbo does push the car well and it handles extremely nimbly - but so does the 3. Sport mode on the 3 floored me.

The final cost for the 3 was around 2.5k less than the civic and came with nav. Honda salespeople at 2 dealerships were fairly rude and unhelpful, and it seems like Honda is not interested in moving on price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Picked up a 17 Mazda 3 GT hatch. Compared to civic hatch. Cloth interior on civic is loving garbage and leather is merely ok. Cabin felt more spacious than the Mazda and feels larger, but the Mazda has an extremely nice interior (dumb hologram HUD notwithstanding).

Honda has not fixed the essential problem with CVTs despite being hailed as one of the best CVTs on the market. After the rubberband effect the turbo does push the car well and it handles extremely nimbly - but so does the 3. Sport mode on the 3 floored me.

The final cost for the 3 was around 2.5k less than the civic and came with nav. Honda salespeople at 2 dealerships were fairly rude and unhelpful, and it seems like Honda is not interested in moving on price.

Congrats. The Mazda 3 hatches are real nice cars and I likely would have ended up with one if I didn't go with WRX hatch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bill NYSE posted:

You can check every one of these boxes with a Honda Fit, besides the 15K price tag. You might be able to haggle a '15 or '16 at that price. They are very surprisingly roomy inside, and the seats fold down better than in most minivans.

The Fit is not very good for four people and gear, though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Can I ask what your final price was on the Mazda and what state you're in? I want to try to get a starting point for negotiation. The Honda guys are pissing me off as well, so I'm not too keen on dealing with them either.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Without knowing anything about anything, I suspect you'll get a better deal with the Mazda dealer, since Mazda doesn't coast on their brand like Honda does.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

The first Mazda dealer offered 27.5 otd. 2nd, through Costco pricing, was 26.3 + a $300 acquisition fee (pretty sure they were going to get the car i wanted at the first dealership). Called first dealer, they agreed to match 26.3. This is for the 2.5 GT in dark grey, with nav.

Im in California.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ammanas posted:

The first Mazda dealer offered 27.5 otd. 2nd, through Costco pricing, was 26.3 + a $300 acquisition fee (pretty sure they were going to get the car i wanted at the first dealership). Called first dealer, they agreed to match 26.3. This is for the 2.5 GT in dark grey, with nav.

Im in California.

Thanks.

I drove the 2016 Touring at lunch today. Initial thoughts: LOUD ride. I thought my 2011 TDI was loud on the highway, but it is positively quiet in comparison. I know the 2017s had some additional noise mitigation, so hopefully they're not as bad. Also, at 60+, there was some very noticeable juddering. The salesman tried to write it off as "new highway that hasn't been worn down" but on another stretch, I still felt the chatter, just not as much. Also, the 2.0 engine felt lackluster - I get that it's not going to be screaming, and I am coming from a high torque manual, but it took a bit to get going, and there was a definite strain to get to passing speed.

I'm going to try the 2017 2.0 manual transmission, if I can get my hands on one, just to see if there is any difference. I'm not optimistic, but the MPG on the 2017 2.5 Touring kind of bumps it out of my minimum MPG criteria range.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happens when you're WAY under mileage on a lease? I leased a Mazda3 for my wife one year ago, and since then she's only put on 6000 miles. The lease allows for 12000 a year. When we got it she'd been planning on a lot of rural travel for work that since fell through so I'm not sure if there's anything we can/should do to save some money on it. I'm wondering if I should try to buy the lease out, sell it, and have her drive my old Volvo instead since lots of miles and reliability out in the country are no longer an issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks.

I drove the 2016 Touring at lunch today. Initial thoughts: LOUD ride. I thought my 2011 TDI was loud on the highway, but it is positively quiet in comparison. I know the 2017s had some additional noise mitigation, so hopefully they're not as bad. Also, at 60+, there was some very noticeable juddering. The salesman tried to write it off as "new highway that hasn't been worn down" but on another stretch, I still felt the chatter, just not as much. Also, the 2.0 engine felt lackluster - I get that it's not going to be screaming, and I am coming from a high torque manual, but it took a bit to get going, and there was a definite strain to get to passing speed.

I'm going to try the 2017 2.0 manual transmission, if I can get my hands on one, just to see if there is any difference. I'm not optimistic, but the MPG on the 2017 2.5 Touring kind of bumps it out of my minimum MPG criteria range.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 2.0...I just don't see the point in it. It's noticeably weaker than the 2.5 for not a big enough gas mileage savings (IMO). Though I will say that the 2.0 is near the top of the heap for acceleration compared to it's competitors base-level engines.

I drove 5 (IIRC) 2016 Mazda 3's while looking around and I can't say I ever noticed above-average road noise. Though some quick googlin' leads me to believe that some people have noticed it.

I will say this after test driving like a bajillion vehicles: The Mazda 3 has the highest quality interior of of any vehicle out there less than say $30k. It's pretty loving great.

We eventually decided to wait 6-12 months and save up some more cash and get a CX-9 or a competitor. I will definitely be looking to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 for myself if they ever get off their rear end and sell one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

powderific posted:

What happens when you're WAY under mileage on a lease? I leased a Mazda3 for my wife one year ago, and since then she's only put on 6000 miles. The lease allows for 12000 a year. When we got it she'd been planning on a lot of rural travel for work that since fell through so I'm not sure if there's anything we can/should do to save some money on it. I'm wondering if I should try to buy the lease out, sell it, and have her drive my old Volvo instead since lots of miles and reliability out in the country are no longer an issue.

Consider http://www.swapalease.com/ to get out of your lease with a transfer if the contract allows? You will likely do better financially than the buyout + sell. Though I did not pull the trigger on a lease, I was impressed with the responsive customer service.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Personally, I wouldn't get the 2.0...I just don't see the point in it. It's noticeably weaker than the 2.5 for not a big enough gas mileage savings (IMO). Though I will say that the 2.0 is near the top of the heap for acceleration compared to it's competitors base-level engines.

I drove 5 (IIRC) 2016 Mazda 3's while looking around and I can't say I ever noticed above-average road noise. Though some quick googlin' leads me to believe that some people have noticed it.

I will say this after test driving like a bajillion vehicles: The Mazda 3 has the highest quality interior of of any vehicle out there less than say $30k. It's pretty loving great.

We eventually decided to wait 6-12 months and save up some more cash and get a CX-9 or a competitor. I will definitely be looking to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 for myself if they ever get off their rear end and sell one.

Mazda has put Speed line on hold until like 2020. Too bad. The CX-9 is really nice but pretty large.

The cabin noise isn't bad but its not silent. The ride with the 18" wheels is fair, perhaps firm, but not bad. I 'borrowed' a Lexus IS350 from Carmax for 4 days and that was an absolute nightmare of road feel.

A GTI probably has an equal-or-better ride, quieter cabin, faster engine, but it's a higher price point and from looking around, an awful reliability record.

The 2.5 isn't the fastest car, but I don't really need it to be. 0-60 feels fast, stomping on the pedal pulls nicely, strong enough to break contact with the (mediocre dunlop) front tires. A manual or perhaps paddle shifters would be a blast. I have a relatively sedate commute, I wanted something with some punch and the 2.5 has enough for that. I didn't drive the smaller engines to compare but I'm pretty sure I would have been dissatisfied.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bill NYSE posted:

Yea looking for storage w/out having to fold down the seats. 4 passengers + camping poo poo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

khysanth posted:

Yea looking for storage w/out having to fold down the seats. 4 passengers + camping poo poo.
A minivan would cover all your bases nicely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

khysanth posted:

I don't know if you totally skipped over my first response for a reason, but the Prius V should fit the bill as a Prius with more room.

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
Proposed Budget: ~30K
New or Used: New
Body Style: Would prefer a sedan, but could be swayed for a coup. Nothing big.
How will you be using the car?: Driving ~50 miles a day for work, maybe some vacation driving as well. I would like a lot of technology inside of the car.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of maintenance, MPG, size, style, these all seem important.

I do live in Chicago so we are frequent to semi-rough weather.

Cars I've been considering: 2017 Golf GTI, 2017 Honda Civic, 2017(or 2016) Acura ILX

I also don't know much about it, but if it had Android Auto I think I'd like that, it sounds neat from what I've read on it.

Thanks for any help!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Since you didn't mention fun to drive go ahead and remove the GTI from your list.

Add: Mazda3, maybe the new Chevrolet Cruze or Malibu for tech features, maybe the Koreans.

You could actually probably swing a Volt for that cost after tax credits if you like that sort of thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up a clean single-owner 01 Ford Taurus with <100k miles for a good price. All the toyotas and hondas were trashed for the price range we were looking at.

Small coolant leak but nothing looks major.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FCKGW posted:

Picked up a clean single-owner 01 Ford Taurus with <100k miles for a good price. All the toyotas and hondas were trashed for the price range we were looking at.

The transmission is on its last legs.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

What was the price??

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

YoshiStomper posted:

Cars I've been considering: 2017 Golf GTI, 2017 Honda Civic, 2017(or 2016) Acura ILX
The newer Golfs (and VWs in general) are suffering from reliability issues, from what I understand. Also, I'm seeing a lot of posts from die hard Civic lovers that the 2016/17 Civics are not good in terms of construction - there are a lot of complaints of creaky seats, components that just pop off, and even misaligned body panels. The low price of the car is a direct result of subpar assembly and components. Which annoys me, because it makes me reconsider the Civic, when I was pretty much set on getting one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The transmission is on its last legs.

Probably. Mechanic uncle looked it over and for the <1k /yr of driving mother-in-law will do it seemed fine. She also strictly wanted a Taurus, she wasn't even considering Honda or Toyota :v:

Michael Scott posted:

What was the price??

$2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

That seems like a grand too much.