Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you get Targeteer+Rupture on a brace of pistols for Saltzpyre with the Shrine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
sure can, that's what happened when i walked back my argument with digirat on the brace being worse than the repeater pistol. i used the shrine to get targeteer and rupture and realized how incredibly bad the red set was after that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well now I know what all my orange mats are going to until I have those.

Also, I rolled an elf single-sword with Regrowth Normal, Killing Blow Normal, and Devastating Blow and it's actually, uh, not trash? Like, it's definitely her shittiest melee weapon since the Glaive completely took its job of anti-heavy but this stupid little thing is fun.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

according to internet, hail of doom bolt staff fires two homing missiles that may seek different targets

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

This is the most intense episode of the Three Stooges in the making

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Got grabbed by a packmaster and pulled into a stormvermin patrol on the dark staircase in dungeons.
Respawned on the ending run so they had to do a good amount of level and the final event without me.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
our sisterhood is one of suffering

e: rats won everyone go home

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 8, 2016

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Goonitide is pretty quiet tonight, anyone got some time to do a White Rat nightmare run? I need the OPALS.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Mr. Pickles posted:

according to internet, hail of doom bolt staff fires two homing missiles that may seek different targets

This is absolutely true and is amazing, especially if you also have bloodlust. You can pretty much just spam homing missiles and ignore damage from venting overcharge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also, hail of doom does not seem to build up heat when it triggers which makes that trait even better than it appears on paper--on average, better than the 10% less heat trait

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That's because Hail of Doom is bugged to not generate heat or use up ammo on certain weapons.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunethex posted:

That's because Hail of Doom is bugged to not generate heat or use up ammo on certain weapons.

I don't think that's a bug.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

After using all the dwarf weapons a lot, I'm reaching the conclusion that while the shield + axe combo is best with a coordinated, balanced team, the hammer is a lot more reliable when the people you're playing with suck.

Also, still prefer crossbow to handgun. It's just so viscerally satisfying.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
What are the best traits for a repeater pistol? Got extra ammo, bigger clip size and targeteer. Anything better?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mahasamatman posted:

What are the best traits for a repeater pistol? Got extra ammo, bigger clip size and targeteer. Anything better?
Using anything other than the repeater pistol. :v:

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.
if anyone's curious about trying the dwarf greataxe, there's one with pretty good traits currently up on the quest board - bloodlust, perfect balance, and backstabbery. Bloodlust and perfect balance are pretty much must-haves for the weapon. Backstabbery is pretty "meh," but oh well.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Digirat posted:

Also, hail of doom does not seem to build up heat when it triggers which makes that trait even better than it appears on paper--on average, better than the 10% less heat trait

I got one with bloodlust+stability+hail so I should probably start playing with it. Its practically raining loot these days

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with the contracts and the loot tables for nightmare/cataclysm being changed i feel like getting loot is in a much better place than it used to be. leave the reds/vanity poo poo to the low chance poo poo and have the rest be pretty attainable if you can cut it in nightmare.

which, really, isn't that much of a leap from hard beyond the friendly fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Johnny Joestar posted:

with the contracts and the loot tables for nightmare/cataclysm being changed i feel like getting loot is in a much better place than it used to be. leave the reds/vanity poo poo to the low chance poo poo and have the rest be pretty attainable if you can cut it in nightmare.

which, really, isn't that much of a leap from hard beyond the friendly fire.

The average quality of players at nightmare seems to drop like a stone however.
On the plus side, the new tables have made farming blues on hard mode more fun. Gotta get some ore to upgrade all those oranges.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Using anything other than the repeater pistol. :v:

i've got nice pistols, just rolling perfect traits on each weapon now because there's infinite orange mats available.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just got this on the sale and was wondering if its normal to get not so great performance? Like I get better frames running witcher 3 on ultra than I do with this on high.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This game is the most horrendously unoptimized title.

But one thing you can do is make sure that stupid dumb "worker thread" option in the launcher is set right. If you have a 6 core processor with 12 threads, for example, you set the option to 6. Any higher or lower than what it should be at causes issues, I discovered a few weeks ago it was exactly where that super speed crash came from.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I figured as much. I'll try that out thanks, game seems pretty cool otherwise.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
In my experience the game is much more CPU limited than GPU, so if you can overclock at all that's probably what you want to aim for.

The engine is some weird thing built Autodesk of all people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turn on baked enemy meshes in the options and roll around in the frames

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What are good traits for bolt staffs? Is there any particular big ones worth looking for?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

bloodlust+stability+channeling rune

or bloodlust+hail+chanelling rune

I got one with bloodlust+hail+stability and I can say that maybe channeling is better than stability (I take quite a lot of dmg venting). Then again bloodlust gets me most of the health back. Also, stability lets you left click all day long, its a matter of preference I suppose

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Digirat posted:

Turn on baked enemy meshes in the options and roll around in the frames

How do I do this? Looked through the graphic and display settings but can't find a toggle. Is there an .ini?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

bloodlust+stability+channeling rune

or bloodlust+hail+chanelling rune

I got one with bloodlust+hail+stability and I can say that maybe channeling is better than stability (I take quite a lot of dmg venting). Then again bloodlust gets me most of the health back. Also, stability lets you left click all day long, its a matter of preference I suppose

Ah also I wondering how good or bad Crossbows are? I don't usually see them so I assume they're not very good or is it *again* a matter of traits? I ended up getting a Witch Hunter Orange Xbow with Skirmisher/Hail of Doom/Master Crafted

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That's good. Cross bones have good moving accuracy and faster reload to make up fir their worse damage and no knock back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's good. Cross bones have good moving accuracy and faster reload to make up fir their worse damage and no knock back.

They also naturally pierce a lot of rats and so they'll kill like 3 a shot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mahasamatman posted:

How do I do this? Looked through the graphic and display settings but can't find a toggle. Is there an .ini?

Dunno what to tell you, it's just called "Use baked enemy meshes" in the options. I think Graphics tab but don't remember for sure.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you don't have a good handgun, crossbows do pretty fine enough. Before I had my shootbangs I'd just roll with that and it killed Stormvermin and whatever else pretty on-demand, as long as I took the second to make sure I was hitting them in the face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A crossbow with master crafted is sort of like a more versatile/less polarized MC handgun, but crossbows suffer big time on cataclysm when they can no longer kill clan rats in one bodyshot and need three bodyshots to kill one gutter runner--shots that will not knock it off of someone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I never really think about Cataclysm because I hate it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i give less a poo poo about cataclysm now than ever before now that loot tables for nightmare are better

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How do we fix the Fireball Staff?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Better AoE, stronger damage overall than the conflagration staff and the ability to stun the Ogre like a frag bomb at full charge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This VR announcement is a big disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus, some poo poo that barely anyone is going to use anyways. glad they're spending time on that and not...literally anything else.

• Locked thread