Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets Improbable Aim

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Am I crazy, or is that supposed to be Orson Welles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

black guy died first

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Oh poo poo, 3 months and they never found Sophie? I am loving invested in this strip

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Am I crazy, or is that supposed to be Orson Welles?

That or Dom DeLuise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Creeps

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Henry

Jim's Journal

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

SomeMathGuy posted:

What would it sound like if a volcano launched a ball of molten rock into a helicopter, which exploded? I dunno, something like "swoosh blang"? Sure.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh poo poo, 3 months and they never found Sophie? I am loving invested in this strip
:same:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Previously, on "Modesty Blaise":

And now:

I love Modesty Blaise, don't get me wrong, but WHY are all these people so stupid?

"Look, comrade, a wasp's nest, full of cancer and radiation and on fire..."
"Indeed, comrade, let us beat it with a stick...!"
"Yes, comrade, what bad thing could POSSIBLY happen...?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chairmen Sebek doesn't even have a plan to liquidate those guys. He's just going to let them suicide-by-Blaise and save himself the trouble.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Chairmen Sebek doesn't even have a plan to liquidate those guys. He's just going to let them suicide-by-Blaise and save himself the trouble.

God I hope that's the actual ending :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bernice sucks and I hope Luann and her have a giant breakup because of how much she sucks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ha ha rape joke! Hilarious!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I enjoy the implication of the current Foob storyline that in her efforts to wash the dye off his face, Michael's mom has not considered soap. :effort:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

what the gently caress

e: it's distressing that i thought this wasn't an edit

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Vaishino posted:

That or Dom DeLuise.
It's clearly Rip Torn.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

I hope this arc deals with the health inspectors paying them a visit.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Looks like he updated the tiny employees up top. Hyeh-ran's in there now. Funny. I never noticed she's the shortest character on account of the fact that she's always standing up while everyone else is sitting down.

All right, so, most Korean syllables have Chinese analogs, which means they have discrete independent meanings even out of context. Classical four character words are just four such syllables crammed together. Sometimes the meaning is obvious, and sometimes not, depending on how obscure the syllables being used are. Usually they describe a complex concept or idiom in very short order. Part of the joke is that the last one doesn't really count at all except in the sense that the components are all Chinese root words- it's just a normal word. Likewise the first one, which Miss Han used in proper context, was a scientific word that while obscure, would be expected with someone who has a good vocabulary. Everything else was just mental escalation because they weren't actually saying these words, just thinking them.

I don't have a clue what the proper way to translate these would be. A lot of them are so obscure they didn't even show up in my dictionary, although that could just be because they're not using proper Chinese roots so they're not real idioms, just imitations. Except, of course, to the extent that a native speaker knows what the unwritten rules are for making them (I don't).

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

These guys look like human versions of the Achewood cast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Get hosed Lester

er... never get hosed again, Lester!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Looking forward to your cartoon tomorrow, Lester.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Looking forward to your cartoon tomorrow, Lester.

Seems like an obvious setup for "The short man . . . bought women's shoes!! How ridiculous and stupid!!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoulda known that initial one was too good for no other shoe to drop.

All those political strip artists must feel incredibly powerless, having to produce the strips for election week with leadup time and having to stick to noncommittal "oh man THAT ELECTION" strips.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I enjoy the implication of the current Foob storyline that in her efforts to wash the dye off his face, Michael's mom has not considered soap. :effort:

I think it's the kind of soap. To me it looked like one of those industrial soap powder dispensers from the bad old days. That poo poo is super gritty and abrasive.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Lovely Horse posted:

Shoulda known that initial one was too good for no other shoe to drop.

All those political strip artists must feel incredibly powerless, having to produce the strips for election week with leadup time and having to stick to noncommittal "oh man THAT ELECTION" strips.

Editorial cartoons don't have lead times, but I'll point out that Bill Griffith is pretty confident in a Hillary victory

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 16, 1951)

Nancy (November 30, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 30, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 28, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 27, 1937)

Barney Google (August 29, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 28, 1933)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

THIS ELECTION HUH?

You're better than this, Carrillo.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

This guy better get his comeuppance is all I'm saying.

Secret Agent X-9

"I'll just wait for Dunston to...

You know what? I just can't do that joke anymore. There must be other Dunstons. Hold on.

Ah! "He's bringing me a steak from his famous Dallas steakhouse."

No. That was bad, sorry. Tomorrow, we'll have the "retired baseball player" version of this joke.

Apartment 3-G

Stanky Smurf
Oct 21, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I picked up three old (google is telling me early 80s, but looks way more mid 70s) comic books named SuperKernal from a flea market the other day. They are drawn by Brad Gilchrist, and written by Guy.
I thought I'd scan them up and into an imgur album if you guys wanted. I saw his name on that and had to get them.

Catching up, but yes, please do - I used to have some of these as a kid as part of some tween-age Book o' the month thing.

Of course, even 10-year-old me knew they were dumb as hell, but it would be interesting to see them again for a nostalgia factor, if nothing else. Besides, what's not to love about a flying popcorn-man making stupid puns?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Slammy posted:

1972 (Nixon, by a landslide)

Guys, this is freaking me out - of ALL the Family Circusess for Election Day, I pick the one they run this year? Again? Of course they probably only have about 4 they re-run all the time, but I'm going with psychic. Go ahead, ask me about your future (comic).

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1916)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (August, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Guys, this is freaking me out - of ALL the Family Circusess for Election Day, I pick the one they run this year? Again? Of course they probably only have about 4 they re-run all the time, but I'm going with psychic. Go ahead, ask me about your future (comic).
I knew I had seen that one but I couldn't remember if it was here or the politoons thread. Weird to see the EXACT SAME ONE like that but in color like it was new.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slammy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Fvsgv0bYw&hd=1

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (July, 1940)

But Mopsy your arm!!!!!!!!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Yeah, she understands what makes it different.

Luann

Ugh. I guess I gave her too much benefit of the doubt thinking she was doing this out of concern for her friend. Nope. She's just being a fuddy duddy. Nobody can have fun if Bernice isn't having fun!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Just a blind dude climbing down a rickety rope ladder unassisted. Not anything suspicious about that, Julie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's the last of my comics before America collapses like paper boat in a hurricane.

The Classic Dinette Set god who cares.

Working Daze can get hosed.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix what does it matter.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn is linked today. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://i.imgur.com/OsaAxIu.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh please do the "Good thing I webbed an audio recorder onto the back of this nearby sofa" ending again. Please.

• Locked thread