Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My partner is away at some conference and apparently there's a random display that has a bunch of cockatiels and finches in with a python, and not a lil' babby ball one either

E: Quoting for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want to see the Mochi movie. Seriously though, it would make a great animated love story.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, we unwrapped the harness package on Friday, and have it where Cricket can see it. She is not thrilled, but she isn't terrified of it now. I wear it around my neck when she is with me, and she is actually playing with it a little. I have been trying to make her see its not going to eat her.

I watched the video, and have been working on getting her to not flip out about having her wings touched. We did the counting out loud 1-2-3 as we touched her under the wings, and she is doing fantastic. We are attempting to move her wings using same technique but not as much. Just trying to get her used to the idea overall.

But anyway, so far so good :) I can actually touch her under her wings now without the OMGWTFBBQ shrieking she did before. She just looks at me as if she cant believe I am doing this to her.

So if all goes well, I should be able to stretch her wings out and move them gently in a couple of weeks.

But anyway...stubborn baby bird vs even more stubborn not-bird parent :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am informed that there is some sort of big anniversary this weekend , something to do with a big white dress and a church. I totally knew that.

E: I just read back over my posts from yesterday and with the benefit of hindsight watched myself get played like a cheap drum.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 7, 2016

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

He's a lot nicer to me when my husband isn't home so I've been having hangouts with him during the day and trying to gently loosen the casing on what I can but he gets sassy once Mr. ana gets home. He's been getting spray baths daily as well to try and help keep them soft (Canadian winter is super dry, my skin is suffering too), and will occasionally either fling himself into his water dish or deign to take a bath in his big bathing dish when we offer. My husband thought he felt a bump on his head last night but on closer inspection in the daytime nope, just more pins. He has a few more patches like this just on his head too. Poor itchy dingus.

also what are y'alls birds favourite foot toys? I ordered him a jingle ball but it's almost as big as he is and would be more fitting for a macaw or grey. whoops.
double edit: I just learned that I have to be out of the country for five weeks starting at the end of this month for emergency family stuff. worried about how lonely Mochi will be and may try and convince a friend to come hang out in my apartment a few days a week to keep him company. Me and the husband are both homebodies but he leaves at about 6:30 in the morning for work and doesn't get back till around 5. He's not used to being alone all day since I work from home.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Last night I dreamed that I got to sniff a conure. It was a good dream.

What do conures smell like, I always like the dusty cockatiel smell.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop smells like fruit loops.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

Alexis (dusky) smelled like nothing when she was clean, I called it her "clean conure smell"

Auri (lilac-crowned amazon) smells like fruits and chocolate. Some amazons have very distinctive scents, Auri's is just lovely and I can smell it when she's near me and fluffs really big.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai posted:

Potatoes, no joke.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

When wet: KFC.

After eating corn: popcorn.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ama just smells clean and warm, I know warm isn't a smell but it's the only way I know to describe it :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama just smells clean and warm, I know warm isn't a smell but it's the only way I know to describe it :3:

I totally get what you mean.

Thanks conurefriends, now I just need to find a conure to sniff and judge for myself

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
new science experiment time: give taco a bath and some corn and see if she then smells like popcorn chicken.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sombra says 'Boop'.

Boop is my bird's name.

Sombra confirmed for bird crazy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
As an anosmiac, this is the weirdest thing to try understand. Normally i guess smells are like tastes in your nose but like, the taste of warmth??

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what are you supposed to do with all those pins

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Morning all.

In the training cage again, other than the biting he's actually really really tame and blissfully quiet which was what I was worried about. It's not biting out of fear it's biting because someone has taught him it's a HAPPY FUN TIME game - if he has something in his beak then he will accept scritches, smooshes and pets. Getting his wings clipped on monday and hopefully we can work him on the play top and get him normal before they grow back. Mango is totally chill with him being in the same room and isn't screaming, which is all I ask for in life.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

For those crazies in the States, I know that things are a little insane. This video of a tiel just going around saying his name all day might help you.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Inglonias posted:

For those crazies in the States, I know that things are a little insane. This video of a tiel just going around saying his name all day might help you.

I think I must be broken...I could listen to that little voice all day lol

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inglonias posted:

Ebo for president :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Mirthless' house must be a riot too, constant little voices going "tickle tickle" "biiiiig turkey" and "bush did 9/11"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Teach a bird to say "nasty woman"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

redgubbinz posted:

Mirthless' house must be a riot too, constant little voices going "tickle tickle" "biiiiig turkey" and "bush did 9/11"

This is my presimption as well.

Snip

Wrong thread gently caress god drat it gently caress

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

LOL I get Cricket saying "birdie birdie birdie birdie", "Little birdie!!!", and "Hey baby" all day long. It's hilarious when she is on a roll and messes up her words and yells "Hey little birdie baby baby birdie baby Whatcha doin" for about 45 mins straight.

At least no cuss words as of yet. I am waiting for her to add my husband's favorite cuss words to her vocabulary ..."Assbiscuits!"

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Trying to feed our tiel some mango and he just keeps singing to it :derptiel: similarly, don't think he's ever actually eaten one of the blueberries we try to share with him either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stolen from Reddit because it's too good not to post in this thread

http://i.imgur.com/JxSNAaK.gifv

Tendai fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 9, 2016

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
I...uh...

I guess I didn't shake the eggs hard enough.

Beato is sitting on two tiny Beatos.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

little_firebird posted:

I...uh...

I guess I didn't shake the eggs hard enough.

Beato is sitting on two tiny Beatos.

Goncrats on being a grandma/grandpa!

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Goncrats on being a grandma/grandpa!

I did not expect the squabs to be so tiny, but goddamn are they ugly-cute.

Pics tomorrow, I guess?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

bird duplication

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Grats...I love seeing babies :) Glad it's not me tho!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When you're not looking, they split apart and suddenly boom, two birds instead of one.

Congratulations Beato :toot:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I never really understood "IRNs are spooky" until this.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Potato Salad posted:

did you not? allow us to watch you while you sleep plz.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

little_firebird posted:

I did not expect the squabs to be so tiny, but goddamn are they ugly-cute.

Pics tomorrow, I guess?

Will you name one City Face?

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Got a friend for the parakeet today and upgraded to a huge cage in the process. Was some resource guarding at first but the new bird is like, ridiculously confident in comparison to Diego. Diego's basically wild but this bird doesn't bite and will run up to hands for food. Maybe that'll make it easier to hand tame them both. c:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

artichoke posted:

Will you name one City Face?

I have been considering it!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

Their close relatives are too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

little_firebird posted:

I have been considering it!

City-face, or something equally nerdy and terrible like Sakuya and Yuuya/Okosan

They're so hideous :3: please keep us regularly updated with photos of their progress!