Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Huh, that's an exceptionally dramatic way to describe penetration/chance of penetration/no penetration.

Is it really talking about penetration or is it talking about mobility/mission kill vs catastrophic damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Is it really talking about penetration or is it talking about mobility/mission kill vs catastrophic damage?

If it was mission kill vs catastrophic damage, then penetrating the upper or lower side of the hull would give the same result, but the upper side of the Valentine is only hashed instead of solid.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

OwlFancier posted:

Vernichten would probably translate fairly literally as "annihilate"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the extermination camps during the Holocaust were named "Vernichtungslager", which I always heard translated as "annihilation camp".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The wheel spacing looks more like a T-62, but it's abstract enough to be anything. The caption just says "medium tank".

Dome turret is very T-62.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

Vernichten would probably translate fairly literally as "annihilate"

it does sound suspiciously like other roman words for "deny", though - to the point where my( Danish) dad cracked up laughing upon learning that a paper shredder is named "aktsvernichter" (asset annihilator, but sounds like "asset denier"!)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
"Asset annihilator" still sounds hilariously overblown for a shredder.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

German speakers, what's the difference between zerstören and vernichten? Google tells me they both mean "destroy", but the context of the image seems to imply that zerstören is somehow not as bad.

"Nicht jeder Treffer wirkt sofort vernichtend" = Not every hit leads to instant anihilation.

-> vernichtet = instant and catastrophic kill

"Sprenggranaten ??? erzielen behindernde bzw. zerstörende Wirkung beim Beschuß von Waffen und Blenden..." = HE shells cause impairing respectively destructive effect if aimed at guns and bezels...

-> zerstört = technical knockout

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

chitoryu12 posted:

It also makes the crew reliant on either technology or small vision blocks and periscopes to actually see outside, which can be a bit of a problem when your cameras get shot out or the software suffers a crash.

Always have a manual backup. The Abrams has a fancy fire control computer that makes hitting a moving target with little training such a breeze that it's almost cheating, but if it fails you can always plug in numbers manually. And if that fails you still have an optical gunsight just like in World War II.

You already have the same problems with visibility in a crewed turret.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Pikes, square, line, and James Burke.
:allears:

Speaking of, how the hell do two pike squares fight each other? Assuming the other dudes have a pike as long as yours, there has to be absolutely no way to stab someone without being stabbed at the same time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of, how the hell do two pike squares fight each other? Assuming the other dudes have a pike as long as yours, there has to be absolutely no way to stab someone without being stabbed at the same time.
imagine fencing, but 15-18 feet long and hilariously slower

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, you can parry 1 pike. What about the other 5 dudes next to your target?

Also, how does right of way work with pikes? Do you move only forwards and backwards? Do you have to shout like a moron after touching your opponent?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, you can parry 1 pike. What about the other 5 dudes next to your target?
hopefully the five dudes next to you will help you out

quote:

Also, how does right of way work with pikes? Do you move only forwards and backwards? Do you have to shout like a moron after touching your opponent?
raise yuor hand and look for the referee if you have any questions

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Lindybeige has a bit on pike squares fighting each other :P

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

spectralent posted:

"Asset annihilator" still sounds hilariously overblown for a shredder.

It translates poorly. It means something closer to "item destroyer", really.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You already have the same problems with visibility in a crewed turret.

A crewed turret lets the commander actually sit in the hatch and look around with a full, tall 360 degree view when it's safe. Instead of buttoning up under fire, the Armata is permanently buttoned up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stealing from B4Ctom1 in the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread, here's a post on the deceptions used during the evacuation of Gallipoli in 1915 to make it seem like the trenches were still occupied. The best is the simple yet clever use of dripping water in a pan to set up a rigged rifle to fire.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fat Samurai posted:

In the late 16th/early 17th centuries pike blocks had more halberdiers and sword armed roloderos mixed into them, who could close on pikemen in melee combat and kill them by getting inside their guards. As the 17th century rolls on this falls out of fashion though as the ratio of musketeers to pikemen/other melee infantry goes up.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think it was equipment costs that killed it though:

Right you see that block of men with pikes? Your job is to get in there and gently caress poo poo up like a madman while they stab at you and our guys might also stab you.

Here's your helmet, breastplate, sword, buckler and enormous brass balls.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

A crewed turret lets the commander actually sit in the hatch and look around with a full, tall 360 degree view when it's safe. Instead of buttoning up under fire, the Armata is permanently buttoned up.

There are cameras on top of the turret, it's not like the crew is stuck looking from hull level.

JaucheCharly posted:

"Nicht jeder Treffer wirkt sofort vernichtend" = Not every hit leads to instant anihilation.

-> vernichtet = instant and catastrophic kill

"Sprenggranaten ??? erzielen behindernde bzw. zerstörende Wirkung beim Beschuß von Waffen und Blenden..." = HE shells cause impairing respectively destructive effect if aimed at guns and bezels...

-> zerstört = technical knockout

That's very detailed, thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

There are cameras on top of the turret, it's not like the crew is stuck looking from hull level.

Right up until the tank gets hit with anything from machinegun calibre fire on up, presumably.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, wouldn't a commander who wants to unbutton/hatch down or whatever be as vulnerable to MG fire as the cameras? Cameras aren't that easier to hit than vision slits, no?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

Well, wouldn't a commander who wants to unbutton/hatch down or whatever be as vulnerable to MG fire as the cameras? Cameras aren't that easier to hit than vision slits, no?

Yeah, but you can unbutton when it lets up, but you have to fix a vision port. That kind of stuff seems to happen a lot; relatively light weapons can knock out periscopes and stuff.

Presumably the russians know this and weighed it up against the disadvantages, but it seems like the kind of thing you could argue rather than just being a no-brainer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Essentially not having a command cupola at least makes your tank more likely to need repair if it gets hit by anything. Or you have severely reduced visibility from then until you get repairs.

Also you'd need a really loving beefy optics package to give you better visibility than a guy with his head sticking out of the turret with a pair of binoculars.

So, it's a lot of work for some fairly specific and situational gains, whereas high visibility is almost always useful to a tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but you can unbutton when it lets up, but you have to fix a vision port. That kind of stuff seems to happen a lot; relatively light weapons can knock out periscopes and stuff.

Presumably the russians know this and weighed it up against the disadvantages, but it seems like the kind of thing you could argue rather than just being a no-brainer.

You can have armoured flaps that protect vision ports as well as cameras or periscopes that retract. This isn't particularly new technology.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

chitoryu12 posted:

Stealing from B4Ctom1 in the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread, here's a post on the deceptions used during the evacuation of Gallipoli in 1915 to make it seem like the trenches were still occupied. The best is the simple yet clever use of dripping water in a pan to set up a rigged rifle to fire.

I learned about that the other day, It was very clever and nice to see the departure wasn't as horrific and bloody as the landings at the start of that campaign.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

I think it was equipment costs that killed it though:

Right you see that block of men with pikes? Your job is to get in there and gently caress poo poo up like a madman while they stab at you and our guys might also stab you.

Here's your helmet, breastplate, sword, buckler and enormous brass balls.
have you ever fought one of those fuckers? a rodelero'll gently caress your poo poo up

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 8, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OwlFancier posted:

Essentially not having a command cupola at least makes your tank more likely to need repair if it gets hit by anything. Or you have severely reduced visibility from then until you get repairs.

Also you'd need a really loving beefy optics package to give you better visibility than a guy with his head sticking out of the turret with a pair of binoculars.

So, it's a lot of work for some fairly specific and situational gains, whereas high visibility is almost always useful to a tank.

Tanks already have absurd optics packages.

When tanks are unbuttoned, it usually means that there isn't much going on nearby, which means that it's not that important to have MAX VISIBILITY WITH THE MARK 1 EYE BALL.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Excuse me, I think you'll find that's the Ball, Eye, Mark I, Making Visual Inspections, for the use of

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The unmanned turret would be pretty cool if it actually lowered the overall silhouette and improved the armor layout except AFAIK the parade T-14 we saw did neither of those things.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

The unmanned turret would be pretty cool if it actually lowered the overall silhouette and improved the armor layout except AFAIK the parade T-14 we saw did neither of those things.

yeah, that was weird. seems that's one of the points that a unmanned turret would be good for. maybe it's an ammunition storage thing?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bewbies posted:

Who is hysterical about it?

you know

officers

specifically people who get quoted in tabloid newspapers that want us to be afraid of russia, 'us' being norway

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

You guys do realize that since the turret is now no longer a part of the internal volume with the crew, a big part of what makes a penetration to the turret a bad time is removed?

-The crew compartment is no longer in the turret, which means over-pressure of an impact in the turret is removed as a factor to crew health.
-Spalling and fragments ripping through squishy crew are also removed as a factor.
-Since the crew are no longer where the cannon and the ammunition are, the crew can't get cooked by propellant infernos.

Really, the turret is now just a big-rear end RCWS so aside from the loss of sensors/weapons when it gets hit, it is no longer a "tank destroyed" event like in a conventional tank because the turret isn't a part of the fighting compartment anymore. Also in terms of armor layout, there are big improvements in the "deck armor" alone. It's no longer about trying to make the forward arc of the tank being the best protected and writing off the rest. 30-40mm of RHA on the roof isn't going to cut it anymore with how widespread and deadly top-down threats like cluster bomblets and ATGM's are proving to be.

I think I already :spergin:'d out about it earlier in this thread.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mazz posted:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

yeah, that was weird. seems that's one of the points that a unmanned turret would be good for. maybe it's an ammunition storage thing?

The argument is that in this day and age it's no longer economical to try to minimize the size of the target that you present because your tank could be the size of a Reliant Robin and a modern MBT or ATGM would still hit it every time at 4 km. Instead the focus is on active protection and crew survivability and not being the one being fired at first. Then there's the family design and future compatibility, the hull needs to be able to house the innards of both T-14 and T-15, and T-14 might at some point be upgraded to carry the 152mm gun so might as well save some room for that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Surely if the turret gets hit a tank without a gun is pretty much combat ineffective even if the gunner and commander now survive.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Gunners and commanders are also expensive to replace. A tank that's penetrated is almost certainly hosed anyway, the difference here is that the driver will be able to get it off the battlefield in more cases

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gunners and commanders are also expensive to replace. A tank that's penetrated is almost certainly hosed anyway, the difference here is that the driver will be able to get it off the battlefield in more cases

The driver could do that just as well before and in WW3 how much does crew retention matter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A remote turret can be more completely isolated from the rest of the compartment.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

The driver could do that just as well before and in WW3 how much does crew retention matter?

An explosion inside the turret is probably going to kill the driver as well, and if crew retention doesn't matter, we might as well just go back to Waffentragers.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Are they working towards drone tanks, like sticking the crew behind the fighty bit of the tank at the end of a really long cable?
Like going from a knife to a spear to a pike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

Are they working towards drone tanks, like sticking the crew behind the fighty bit of the tank at the end of a really long cable?
Like going from a knife to a spear to a pike.