Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

chris was already quite successful and quite wealthy before this all started.

but again. throw down some proof, and i'll completely agree.

Chris didn't have a dollar to his name after Kevin Costner raped his financial rear end big-time.

Prove that he was somehow wealthy will u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Lazrin posted:

For someone asking for proof you sure don't provide any. So you have proof that CR was "quite successful and quite wealthy before this all started"? Because his own history proves that wrong, he lost his production studio and was a failure before the kickstarter, well he is a failure after words as well but at least he has your money.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. KoA actually came out and was playable (and actually fun for the most part). It also had amazingly good graphics given it's high potato compatibility.
Squadron 42 might come out and be "playable" as in you get to walk between in game cut scenes.

Also worth highlighting Lazrin doesn't want to respond when you shut down his "facts".

Lazrin posted:

And as mentioned, they are developing 2 games simultaneously... trying to unify systems, features, tech, and assets between them. two moving targets. that's a lot of logistical overhead *no* other studios have ever faced. as a new studio without any established pipelines.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

obviously chris roberts was just super successful and had all these things before he got untold millions from idiots
just wanted to say I beat lazrin at his own game lol

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lazrin posted:

chris was already quite wealthy before this all started.

:wrong:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anything interesting?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Lazrin posted:

so since none of those are even close in scope, then you agree star citizen is going to take longer and cost more... scope *is* tied to funding.

So it does not bother you at all that CIG continually expands the scope in order to generate more funding? That this is a cycle with no end in sight?

At this point they are way past any game that could ever be "completed". CR is chasing utopian perfection, the "Best drat Space Sim Ever", but anyone with any engineering background at all knows perfection is impossible. There is always something left out because time and budget dictates cuts.

So CIG is going to continually expand the scope, push out the release until the backers one by one stop giving CR money and CIG suddenly closes its doors overnight.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5bu7mq/the_good_thing_about_star_marines_delayed_release/

these people are broken

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Now Tane I can get into.

That is actually the funniest poo poo now that I've seen it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
ERROR MESSAGE WHEN LAUNCHING PERSISTANT UNIVERSE

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
After the loading screen to get into the Persistant Universe, the game crashes and display this message : "crahs handler will exit" with no reasons.

ACTUAL RESULT
I need to close and re launch the game each time this error message arrives. Sometimes, the PU open at the second or third time I try to connect myself. But, sometimes, I have to re launche the game ten times before getting into the PU.

EXPECTED RESULT
I would like to launch just once the game, and get into the PU the first time I try to get in.

BIRD CHIRPING IN GAME... *NOT A JOKE*

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 seems to happen on event trigger (Multiple events trigger the birds chirping)
2 Birds chirp on coming out of warp
3 Birds chirp on entering flight mode
4 Birds chirp when pirate is killed
5 Birds chirp when I leave hanger bay

ACTUAL RESULT
This may sound odd, but I have been hearing random Bird Chirping throughout the game? The result is that I must have had a bird fly into my ship at my last departure from an inhabited planet, However this ghost bird has multiplied and now occupies all of my ships.

EXPECTED RESULT
The expected result is that a bird would have tough go in any space ship. Seems as though a sound is being referenced mistakenly.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I voted. gently caress Trump.

:same:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Lazrin posted:

games in the same category; large mmos are comparable games.

- wildstar - 9 years
- teso - 7 years
- sw:tor - 6 years
- wow - 6 years

... and most in that set are at 5-6 years.

star citizen is not even 4 years into development, even if you consider the 2012 crowdfunding campaign the start.

Wikipedia posted:

World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001. Released in 2004, development of the game took roughly 4–5 years, including extensive testing.

Star Citizen has been 5 years in development.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lazrin posted:

Prove that he was wealthy buddy since you're making the statement as fact.

Thought it was fairly common knowledge that he was kipping on friends sofas after Costner cleaned him out as he was very close to bankruptcy and had sold his house to help fund the pay off. I have no proof but seems funny how he disapeared from the proffesional life after Costner took his money, almost as if he had no money to impress people with at the time.

Technically he still has no money of his own, but a whole load of everyone elses as backers are owed products from his poo poo factory of dreams.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lazrin posted:

you can keep saying stuff like that but until you can prove it, it's worth less than nothing

that would be egregious for sure.

Well, if they would ever release the truthful financials, this would all be a moot point, wouldn't it? Their silence on such matters is fairly damning in my opinion.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PapaKonzan/status/796041578150318081

https://twitter.com/INN_StarCitizen/status/796036502690156544

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

iron buns posted:

You have to subtract a couple years of preparatory work

Wikipedia posted:

World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001. Released in 2004, development of the game took roughly 4–5 years, including extensive testing.

You have to add a couple years of preparatory work

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Lazrin posted:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

We've got lots of work to do.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheAgent posted:

if he was quite wealthy before how come he didn't use his vast fortune to make SC instead of going to kickstarter

He's crazy

not stupid.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Space Court.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

iron buns posted:

"Don't worry guys, Star Citizen has been development for as long as these three complete failures. It's going to be ok!"

- A corncob named Lazrin

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Eldragon posted:

So CIG is going to continually expand the scope, push out the release until the backers one by one stop giving CR money and CIG suddenly closes its doors overnight.

This, is exactly what will happen if it's left to continue.

I tried to warn the brown sea in 2013 about poo poo getting out of hand and about being wary of companies that constantly beg for public (zero liability) funding, but they were too busy dreaming and shouting about how great it'll all be in 2014 when it's released. :doh:

Heck I even tried to tell them at the same time that they probably wouldn't get a really rough and poorly functioning game before 2018, yet they just cried about naysayers and doubters. The morons deserve to lose every penny they throw at it now, and I'll be the first to encourage them to remortgage their homes and sell their kidneys to do so, because I can be a heartless oval office and will enjoy yelling my "I told you so" speech to the brown sea when the time is right for me to deliver it, its going to have at least two lines of clever writting in it which exceeds Crobblers best literary efforts.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

#Fuckallgoingonhere

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Female avatar concept, finally.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Lazrin posted:

Is that you in your portrait ? You at least don't look like the standard shitizen, there may be hope for you. Please do yourself a favor and get a refund you big tane.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

quote:

And as mentioned, they are developing 2 games simultaneously... trying to unify systems, features, tech, and assets between them. two moving targets. that's a lot of logistical overhead *no* other studios have ever faced.

Did you know its 100% proven faster and more efficient to build one game at a time, as opposed to two? There's a fun fact you can throw around to the guys at the office ;)

This right here is exactly why poo poo is going to crumble. Moving back and forth between two different broken engine demos with one person as direct oversight on everything is why neither will have enough money to complete.

quote:

is there anything wrong with that, actually? if those years get them to the finish line?

This implies there ever was a finish line guy

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tooterfish posted:

getting sued into bankruptcy by Kevin Costner

Is this real thing or funny thing?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Goes back to the end of Chris's career as a Hollywood director:
https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/settlements/11087/costner-failed-movie.html

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

So are the people in this thread arguing with Lazrin.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

HycoCam posted:

Goes back to the end of Chris's career as a Hollywood director:
https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/settlements/11087/costner-failed-movie.html

http://www.ascendantpictures.com/team.html

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

TheAgent posted:

I don't think you understand just how much a high end vacation on the italian coast costs

combine that with maui vacations, limited edition porches, a $4 to $5m dollar home

these are not things that a guy in LA making $200k a year can even come close to affording

and dont forget they drive a porsche cayenne to ferry the kids around. that poo poo aint cheap man

I know $100 to $200k/y sounds like a lot of money (and it is) but living the high life, especially in LA, is very, very loving expensive. chris roberts is the CEO of a very, very large global company with hundreds of employees, you bet your rear end he's pulling down $700k+ and living like it

now he is giving back to the company, reinvesting, but he gets benefits for that too

Just a reminder. In 2015 David Braben's salary from Frontier Developments was £183k (including bonuses). In 2015 Erin Roberts drew a salary of £192,915 from Foundry 42 Ltd. Pre-Brexit these would have been circa $300,000.

I'm sure Chris and Sandi draw higher salaries than Erin from somewhere. I would also expect a Hollywood director such as Chris to be paid for his directing services in addition to his salary and to be commensurate with the sort of fees paid to any acting talent they used.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lazrin posted:

Yeah, before. Then he spent all his cash on coke and needed more

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Truga posted:

Yeah, before. Then he spent all his cash on coke and needed more

Sounds like an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".
(They sort of already did something close to that)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hypothetically, CIG implodes and all of their assets get auctioned off for pennies. Is any of the development valuable? I'm assuming the codebase and mocap is all garbage, but if you had the 3d models, could a real developer make a fun Freespace 2 style shooter with them?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Hypothetically, CIG implodes and all of their assets get auctioned off for pennies. Is any of the development valuable? I'm assuming the codebase and mocap is all garbage, but if you had the 3d models, could a real developer make a fun Freespace 2 style shooter with them?
I'll make the Wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zybourne Citizen

• Locked thread