Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

the neo-Calvinists who subscribe to this theology are arguing for an ontological subordination; that is, the Son, by His very nature, is always in a position of eternal submission to the Father. This, actually, is kind of a big heresy, and it was all done because of gender politics.
theoretically, and may God forgive me, this also implies they're loving.

which some of those guys have kind of said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess abba really should be translated as daddy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

i guess abba really should be translated as daddy
the same people who would call you and possibly me too freaks of nature are more than willing to swallow the most disgusting heresies if the people who teach them are dressed right

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Is Jesus A Twink" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

"Is Jesus A Twink" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

otter, why is this even a question

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

Hesychasts: Orthodox yogis?

Flying, levitation and bilocation pop up every once in a while in Catholic hagiographies. I always wondered if that's an example of eastern religious influence since I mostly associate that kind of stuff with Sikhism.

HEY GAL posted:

edit: beaten, but has it occured to you, The Phlegmatist, that if you read this back into the older Christianities, there's an argument in there that only women can be priests?

I hadn't really considered it before but yeah I guess you'd be right when you take the neo-Calvinist assumptions that:

1. The eternal Christ fulfilled the role of Prophet, Priest and King.
2. The eternal Christ is (ontologically) in eternal submission to the Father.
3. The ontological nature of women is to be in submission to men, as ordered by Creation and the Adamic Covenant.
4. The temporal pastor of a congregation needs to be as much like the eternal Christ as is possible.

Can conclude nothing other that women are, by virtue of sharing in the same ontological nature of the Son in the Trinity, the only logically allowable candidates for priesthood.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
please notify the nearest available parish i will be picking up my silly robes in the morning; greek lessons start on thursday

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Flying, levitation and bilocation pop up every once in a while in Catholic hagiographies. I always wondered if that's an example of eastern religious influence since I mostly associate that kind of stuff with Sikhism.

That's Indian and Indian-originated religions in general.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37903318

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

throw them both out and invite judas priest instead imo

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'd say gnosticism is the heresy which has the greatest number of modern adherents. It's just that it isn't really organized at all (that I know of).

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAL posted:

please notify the nearest available parish i will be picking up my silly robes in the morning; greek lessons start on thursday

in the words of a funny tumblr post: "alright naughty children, it's participle time"

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

I'd say gnosticism is the heresy which has the greatest number of modern adherents. It's just that it isn't really organized at all (that I know of).

There's Ecclesia Gnostica and Église Gnostique Catholique Apostolique, and they both have a number of parishes in the US as far as actual Gnostic churches go.

Plus Thelemists, Rosicrucians, Freemasons and the various Templar Orders could be rightly considered Gnostic, so it's not exactly a brand new thing. It's just become popular recently because of "BANNED BOOKS OF THE BIBLE! YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE FIVE GOSPELS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TRIED TO ERASE!" bizarreness, which actually plays pretty well with people who want to have access to secret knowledge.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I need to get something off my chest: there's a Syrian kid in my little sister's kindergarten group who doesn't speak German yet ("except for either 'please' or 'no', I'm not sure" says my sister :v:) Today they were doing some sort of devotion, where a lit candle was passed from one child to the other, but the Syrian girl refused the candle. Apparently she almost panicked when the flame came to her. As my sister explained it: "She comes from a different country than Germany, a country where it burned and where there was war, that's why she was afraid of the candle". This sucks, and it also sucks that years of war coverage from Syria didn't hit me in the gut like this little story did, just because it concerns a girl I know :(

In unrelated news I'm underway to get drunk for the election night, what about you? :iamafag:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just got fired and am thus getting extra drunk. (Prayers please :( )

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Will definitely pray for you.

Also, got a fresh fifth of whisky tonight.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

CountFosco posted:

I'd say most self-declared gnostics don't really get what gnosticism actually is.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm just drunk tonight because one of my friends got back here from Asian, even if she's here temporarily.

Might put in an extra prayer for you, Augustine-senpai.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

I'll start a novena to St. Josemaria Escriva (whom I am sure this thread hates, tho) for ya.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'll start a novena to St. Josemaria Escriva (whom I am sure this thread hates, tho) for ya.

An Opus Dei priest once gave me a pretty good recommendation for a burger joint, so I don't know how to feel

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

I actually like Escriva, so thanks :3:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

There's Ecclesia Gnostica and Église Gnostique Catholique Apostolique, and they both have a number of parishes in the US as far as actual Gnostic churches go.

Plus Thelemists, Rosicrucians, Freemasons and the various Templar Orders could be rightly considered Gnostic, so it's not exactly a brand new thing. It's just become popular recently because of "BANNED BOOKS OF THE BIBLE! YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE FIVE GOSPELS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TRIED TO ERASE!" bizarreness, which actually plays pretty well with people who want to have access to secret knowledge.

This is a relatively uncharitable view of gnosticism. The most charitable view would be adopting gnosticism in order to "solve" the problem of evil. I'd recommend the books "The Divine Invasion" or "Valis" to get a sense of this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

Wait I wanna hear more about how freemasons fit into this considering one of their first rules is "we don't discuss religion ever"

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

HEY GAL posted:

theoretically, and may God forgive me, this also implies they're loving.

which some of those guys have kind of said.

In the most recent edition of the Antiochian Archdiocesan magazine, "The Word", I think Dr Bradley Nassif basically argues this without being explicit, as he tries to argue against gay marriage (all the italics are in the article) :

quote:

"Each Person of the Holy Trinity is both distinct from the others while also indwelling others [sic?] in perfect unity. The Father eternally generates the Son and spirates (processes) the Spirit. Remember the Nicene Creed: 'And I believe in...the Son of God, the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all worlds' and 'in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life who proceeds from the Father.' In the Gospel of John, Jesus said, 'I am in the Father, and the Father is in me' (John 14:1). In Jesus' High Priestly prayer, He asks the Father for unity among His followers that is patterned after the unity He himself shares with His Father, 'that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you" (John 17:21).

The Nicene Creed and the 'in' language that is used in the New Testament to describe the intimate relations between the three Persons of the Trinity is what the Church Fathers called 'perichoresis.' Perichoresis is a Greek word means that 'co-inhere, inhabit, inter-dwell, or to live within.' In other words, each Person of the Trinity eternally dwells within the other two Persons in a perfect unity-in-distinction. These insights into the nature of God have direct relevance for understanding how human sexuality is to reflect God's very own Trinitarian existence."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but I can't interpret that section in any other way. I don' think I'm being unfair or cherry-picking from the article. If you're not talking about one sex physically penetrating the opposite sex with their penis, then there's no reason a lesbian, one distinct person, cannot have a marriage and union with another woman, who is a separate and distinct person.

He goes on to say non-married people are still made in the image of God though, because even a monk or a non or a person who chooses to remain unmarried is the product of a sexual union between a man and a woman. But then again so is every LGBTQ person so... :shrug:

I'd link the article but that isn't one of the articles they have available online. http://www.antiochian.org/october-2016-edition-word-now-available

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 9, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Phlegmatist posted:

There's been a *lot* of pushback against eternal subordination of the Son to the Father in Reformed circles recently. I think the recent controversy with the new ESV edition, where CrossWay decided to mangle Genesis 3:16 into saying something completely different to advance a complementarian/eternal subordination theology caused a lot of people to pay attention to what on earth was going on with complementarianism destroying the orthodox view of the Trinity.

For reference,

The issue here is that the Hebrew preposition el has a broad range of meanings. Sometimes it's used to mean "for" and sometimes it's used to mean "against" and these all occur in Genesis. There's a little bit of a semantic leap from "against" to "contrary to" and a lot of Hebrew scholars disagree with the new ESV translation of this verse. CrossWay saw an opportunity to stretch the meaning of el in order to advance their theological agenda of complementarianism and decided to go for it.

But it doesn't actually stop there, because complementarianism and neo-Calvinists hacking up the coequality of the Trinity are inextricably linked. The underlying theme is that it is actually good for women to submit to their husbands much as the Son submits to the Father. Now, while I agree with economic subordination, since it is clear from scripture that the Son has both a human will and a divine will ("nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done" etc.) the neo-Calvinists who subscribe to this theology are arguing for an ontological subordination; that is, the Son, by His very nature, is always in a position of eternal submission to the Father. This, actually, is kind of a big heresy, and it was all done because of gender politics.

um :aaaaa: please post more about translations forever

also i will write a post about dorky first communion things but its late also elections lolll

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Wait I wanna hear more about how freemasons fit into this considering one of their first rules is "we don't discuss religion ever"

One of the elders at my last church was a...29th? I think? degree Mason in the Scottish Rite. I wouldn't feel very comfortable talking about specifics that he revealed to me in confidence but yeah it seemed really Gnostic to me in that the secret knowledge of the Divine Architect is slowly meted out to you when you progress through the rites, and this secret knowledge helps bring you closer to God and helps you live a more moral life (and wow there is a lot to memorize when you're doing those rites.) They're not fully Gnostic in the sense that there's no demiurge figure and there's no docetism or dualism, but the idea that you are being slowly introduced to a secret knowledge to bring you closer into unity with God is very present. It might be different with other Masonic Rites, I dunno.

e: Regarding the election I'm shook as gently caress right now but the only election Calvinists care about is contained in Romans 9 and Ephesians 1 :smug:

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

please pray for the United States, everyone

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I'm praying for you and for all of us, seeing as this election will have very tangible consequences all over the world.

This isn't a politics thread, really, but I wanted to tell those of you who will probably be hit hardest by a Trump presidency that you're especially in my thoughts. I wish I could do more :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

At least I don't have to worry about my stupid McMullin toxx

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
God help us, and help those who are affected by our terrible politics.

gently caress.

E: I mean it's still not decided at this point but it looks pretty grim. A Trump victory is horrifying, a narrow Clinton victory where all the Trump followers scream "rigged election" is also gonna be awful.

This election will be cause for much sorrow and suffering either way. :smith:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 9, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm deffo planning on getting out as soon as i can, thanks to my japanese tutoring i can actually do a loving phd so i would recommend people who have some other means of leaving try to do that cause poo poo is gonna suuuuuuck

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mo Tzu posted:

i'm deffo planning on getting out as soon as i can, thanks to my japanese tutoring i can actually do a loving phd so i would recommend people who have some other means of leaving try to do that cause poo poo is gonna suuuuuuck

Christ help us, I never really considered the "I'm trans and now Trump/Pence got elected" scenario. I'm a white dude so it doesn't affect me quite as much (though it will be terrible) and it's easy to forget how much this election impacts women, people of color, immigrants, refugees, and sexual minorities.

e: I'm Midwestern. Me going into hysterics is probably an indication of just how loving apocalyptically bad this is. We've a reputation for being cool-headed cucumbers.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 9, 2016

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

please pray for the United States, everyone

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, pray for us. As children, we come to you. As children, we know not what we have done. Holy Mary, Mother of God, protect those most marginalized by society in this age and the next. Amen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, pray for us. As children, we come to you. As children, we know not what we have done. Holy Mary, Mother of God, protect those most marginalized by society in this age and the next. Amen.

Normally I'd be inclined to make a bad joke about you drinking fully of the Katholic Kool-aid but it's not remotely funny.

Dear Mary, I've never talked to you before, but you're super cool and for all our sakes please do something :smith:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mary of the Streets, intercede for us!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

God lets us make our own terrible mistakes as a community. Lets just hope this one serves some purpose or is mercifully short.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
what the gently caress.

e: y'know I wasn't at all into the millenarian end-times Anti-Christ stuff but wow

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 9, 2016

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Praying for you guys.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Christianity Thread II: Matt. 6:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hillary would probably have started a couple more wars, so I'm not really convinced we ended worse off, but he's definitely going down as the worst prez in history.

Remember to get active in local politics, politicians can't do anything to you you're willing to fight them for.

• Locked thread