Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Man, comparing your race relations with the ones here (Brazil), stuff is reaaaaaaaaaaally different.

Also, I hope you are extremely successful in any advances you put forward. What happens there echoes pretty strongly here, and I sincerely believed that a fair share of conservative young middle class people got thinking and started to rethink their worldviews after Obama got elected. Keep on rocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Man, Negrotown was a lot more fun before the you-know-whos started moving in, I tell you what.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is way outside the scope of the thread and honestly I don't want to get into it too much, but broadly women don't think about men's bodies the way men think about women's bodies. You can see that in the diversity of straight womens' "types" vs. men's, which tend to converge on a socialized ideal woman, and in the rare media that is made from a straight women's perspective to arouse straight women - the men at the object of that aren't the loose collection of body parts straight men's erotic depictions of women are. To generalize, just because men might think of a woman as an rear end or a pair of tits doesn't mean women think of men as a dick.

And man don't come into Negrotown asking about black dicks anyway. C'mon, you know better.

My general assumption was that most people were terrible that way. If it's mostly just men, that's...better? Not really I guess. I mean hell it doesn't even matter, as I'm happily married and all, but sometimes the mind wanders in strange ways.

I was worried about that. But in particular I meant the stereotype and dealing with that in itself socially, not any particular person's actual genitalia. Which, yeah...

Basically I'm just :goonsay: as gently caress.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Man, Negrotown was a lot more fun before the you-know-whos started moving in, I tell you what.

Sorry, I'm gone.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, I'm gone.

That wasn't even directed at you tbh.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

This is way outside the scope of the thread and honestly I don't want to get into it too much, but broadly women don't think about men's bodies the way men think about women's bodies. You can see that in the diversity of straight womens' "types" vs. men's, which tend to converge on a socialized ideal woman, and in the rare media that is made from a straight women's perspective to arouse straight women - the men at the object of that aren't the loose collection of body parts straight men's erotic depictions of women are. To generalize, just because men might think of a woman as an rear end or a pair of tits doesn't mean women think of men as a dick.

And man don't come into Negrotown asking about black dicks anyway. C'mon, you know better.

*and be taller than 6ft

qq 5'8" club :smith:

I'm kidding

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, I'm gone.

Ha, fragility.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, I'm gone.

If you interpret every time KM makes a funny joke as "get out" you're gonna miss all of KM's funny jokes :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

botany posted:

:catstare: what the gently caress

My wife and I share a YouTube account (she's a noncitizen Chinese) so I get these ads nonstop. I think the funniest thing is that Americans always try to ask if I married her for (insert demure stereotype thing here) not realizing the cultural standard in many parts of china and korea is that women have full control of their husbands finances and some companies actually set up private bank accounts to funnel like 5% of a married mans money into a private account so he can have spending money.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Talmonis posted:

My general assumption was that most people were terrible that way. If it's mostly just men, that's...better? Not really I guess. I mean hell it doesn't even matter, as I'm happily married and all, but sometimes the mind wanders in strange ways.

I was worried about that. But in particular I meant the stereotype and dealing with that in itself socially, not any particular person's actual genitalia. Which, yeah...

This is genuine advice: you simultaneously think way too much and also not enough. You clearly get into neurotic internal questioning cycles but don't spend a lot of time thinking about how the things that makes you say will sound to other people. My advice is to chill out a bit and stop thinking so hard about how other people are thinking of you.

And, again, I'm literally saying this as a 6'4" transgender woman, so you can rest assured that a lot of people are staring at and thinking things about me everywhere I go. It's important not to get too deep into your own head.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Negromancer has a great post about sweatpants in UPOL october if you need any more info tho, tal.

Speaking of old USPol posts, there was one back in September (I think?) going into some of the details about hair and the culture/stigmas/etc behind it. That was actually really enlightening and I'd love to learn more about that. There any good sources?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If you interpret every time KM makes a funny joke as "get out" you're gonna miss all of KM's funny jokes :colbert:

New av got em shook

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am legitimately confused how white people are pronouncing Beyoncé wrong at this point. Like poo poo even my phone knows how to accent her name right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:stare: well that's a bunch of horrible racist/misogynist shite I didn't know was a common thing w/r/t interracial attraction.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trabisnikof posted:

I am legitimately confused how white people are pronouncing Beyoncé wrong at this point. Like poo poo even my phone knows how to accent her name right.

How else could you even say it? Bee-oonce??

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

New av got em shook

What if my white feeling is apathy?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Koala's avatar don't care about white people.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Nah, I thought I was pissing folks off. Honestly don't want to do that, because the thread is pretty cool so far.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tempest_56 posted:

Speaking of old USPol posts, there was one back in September (I think?) going into some of the details about hair and the culture/stigmas/etc behind it. That was actually really enlightening and I'd love to learn more about that. There any good sources?

Chris Rock's doc is a really good starting point, and a lot of the writeups in black media about it have authors and commenters sharing personal experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Bay Once

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought everything after the 'Bey' was silent.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

This reminds me of how my mom insists on pronouncing memes the french way "memms." God mom that's not how it's pronounced, jeez.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Barudak posted:

Bay Once

As in rhymes with seance? lol

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

listen the beastie boys fought and possibly died for my right to party wherever i want, so shove it :colbert:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

What if my white feeling is apathy?

Doctor Butts posted:

Koala's avatar don't care about white people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

As in rhymes with seance? lol

That or as I've heard literally like the sentence "please pay once to exit" except with a B instead of a P in pay once.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Barudak posted:

Bay Once

How have they never heard it pronounced before?? :psyduck:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

djw175 posted:

It's like the Blues Brothers scene in the bar. "Which kind of music do you like?" "OH! Both kinds, Country and Western!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Barudak posted:

Bay Once

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

djw175 posted:

In the black community we call this the "white substitute teacher" experience.

"Teeny Broonosie?"
"Present, but uh, it's pronounced Tiny Brontosaurus."
"Tony Brandlezorro?"
"Tiny Brontosaurus."
"Tommy Prontohoroscope?"
"...yeah, you got it. Thanks."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I dated a Tiffanie and teased her by calling her Tiff-uh-nye-ee

It's me, I am the bad interracial dater

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Talmonis posted:

I am going to humor you because I think you are legitimately curious. But its such a bad loving stereotype. It leads to people expecting things of you when you may not have it and if I am not mistaken, most black men are of average size anyhow. IT also ties into the stereotype of how black people are hypersexual.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Teeny Broonosie?"
"Tony Brandlezorro?"
"Tommy Prontohoroscope?"

Totally divorced from the context of the post, these are hilarious.

Also I am totally that guy except I do it exclusively to special snowflake white name spellings instead, and I'm not sure if I should feel bad about it or not.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Name conversation and all I can think about is how I have no idea how Trump's current wife's name is supposed to be pronounced. I've only ever seen it spelled, never pronounced. There is no pronunciation that makes sense to me.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mel-ahn-ya

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

A friend of mine married an African American immigrant whose name is literally three letters long. They can do French Cajun as gently caress names all day long but it was like the day of the wedding they finally nailed it down.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That just makes no sense.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Naw maaaannn, this is some "I just meant black culture" poo poo. Please don't. Women are people and you are not a woman so don't tell women how they are. "Black women care more about a man's height than his wallet" what? Women are people, they care about what they as individual human beings want in another person.

If we can't talk about the minefield of interracial dating without getting into sexist stereotyping maybe we should drop it.

I'm not telling women how they are, I'm telling my experiences and the experiences of other black men. No one suggested black women aren't people, no one even tried to make that case. What I'm sharing is the experience that black men have in corporate America, and how the differences is in how we are treated within that space.

Trying to police and shut down the sharing of experiences and emotions of black men is sorta an issue we have RIGHT NOW, with black mothers raising black boys that men don't cry, complain, etc. Having the expectation that black men should listen to the experiences of black women as it relates to misogynoir and our internalized sexism and racism seems kinda hypocritical if you aren't willing to listen to how black women also internalize a lot of negative things as it relates to black men and reflects in how we, ourselves are treated by black women. Also the points you're taking umbrage with have been spoken about by quite a few black women matchmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3AFNNGQjM

The TL;DR of everything that I was saying, is that you can ask plenty of black men that have risen through the ranks. I've been treated the same in the dating arena from being straight up unemployed and drat near homeless to today, and by that I mean, I've always been able to date up and down the socioeconomic ladder of black women without any gatekeeping due to my income, which there are a variety of reasons for completely not related to black women (like black people making 100k are more likely to live in a neighborhood where the average income is 35k than any other race), but with money and status comes access, and that money and status definitely affects how people date.

For example:

When broke:
Out of the 10 black women I approach, 3 of them agree to a date.
Out of the 10 white women I approach (which may be over a much longer timespan due to people tending to live around their own race), 1 agrees.

When middle-manager being the only black man in a virtually white space:
Out of the 10 black women I approach (which now has the longer timespan due to shift in environment), 4 of them agree to a date.
Out of the 10 white women I approach (which I have now greater access to due to environment), 4 of them agree to a date.

You're definitely going to notice the difference in the sudden availability of white women, and some black men get fixated on why the availability of black women hasn't risen in proportion.

Well, in my experience with black men, they react in a variety of ways:

1) They get amnesia about AWL the black women that was fuckin with them when they had a mattress on the floor eating ramen and saw the potential in them, and go the route of "well only white women like me now, black women are too superficial", not taking into account the differences in environment as well, that they are just around a LOT less black people in general for 8-12 hours a day.

2) They been checked how their daily environment changed as their income did, and realized that staying connected to your people takes WORK. As in, going to black singles events, joining meetup groups for black professionals, etc, and putting in the time to build new friendships and relationships, and not attending every all white people all the time work event that comes up just so "they don't forget about you".

So it's a conflation of factors that lead a lot of men that get on and end up acting like fuckboys towards black women in corporate America, and its mostly a case of lack of self-awareness/entitlement about their changing situation and how they themselves have changed as well in order to get success in institutionally racist structures.

That being said, there is entitlement that many black men encounter among black women in corporate America, risen out of that same place of "success in professional life = I should be able to date the person of my dreams" and I have had to explain to both black men and women that this ain't how poo poo works. Degrees and promotions don't come with relationships attached, and are completely unrelated.

It's just a WHOLE lot of unexamined entitlement, biases, along with letting institutionally racist environments change us for the worse among both genders that lead to either the "I'M OWED THIS PERSON" or "gently caress MY OWN PEOPLE", and instead of looking at the root causes, it leads to "black women are superficial" or "black men will get on and leave ya rear end for a white girl". And neither of those are correct.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is getting into pick-up artist theorizing territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

But if you show them some Polish name with 6 z's and no vowels, somehow they pronounce it perfectly.

• Locked thread