Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

That just makes no sense.

How else would you pronounce it? Mel-ay-nee-a?

But yeah that's the way it's pronounced in all the news things where I've heard her name. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

Crazy white people, saying names they way they're spelled...?

If it's supposed to be pronounced like Dee-Anthony, it make more sense to spell it DeAnthony or something. It's not a matter of "the names are unconventional," it's that they are written in a way that doesn't really correspond with how they're pronounced. Other names that begin with D' use the apostrophe to indicate elision. On the other hand, doing it more than once after being corrected is a major rear end in a top hat move.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, it spelled exactly the way it's pronounced, and even uses an accent to clarify that pronunciation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

woke wedding drone posted:

This is getting into pick-up artist theorizing territory.

Well he is the neg romancer.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

It's really not. It's talking about how people don't realize that things change because their environment changed, and how that affects their dating lives and availability of people they are interested in.

You get dudes who go from growing up around virtually all black people, to going to college, to then a workplace with all white people, move to a white neighborhood, and then go "where all the black women at, they must not like me for x,y, and z", when they don't realize they just are around a LOT less black people on the whole.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

If it's supposed to be pronounced like Dee-Anthony, it make more sense to spell it DeAnthony or something. It's not a matter of "the names are unconventional," it's that they are written in a way that doesn't really correspond with how they're pronounced. Other names that begin with D' use the apostrophe to indicate elision. On the other hand, doing it more than once after being corrected is a major rear end in a top hat move.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, it spelled exactly the way it's pronounced, and even uses an accent to clarify that pronunciation.

English isn't really the language I'd pick to try and die on the "rules of pronouncing words are consistent" hill. I can give you plenty of white as gently caress names that don't follow the same pronunciation rules as each other. Names and English both don't follow consistent rules, welcome to the language.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

English isn't really the language I'd pick to try and die on the "rules of pronouncing words are consistent" hill. I can give you plenty of white as gently caress names that don't follow the same pronunciation rules as each other. Names and English both don't follow consistent rules, welcome to the language.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't think I could ever see D'Anthony pronounced anything other than 'd anthony'..

OTOH Melania should just be called Melanie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

"La Kynn" in Spanish roughly translates to "The Becky"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I'm not telling women how they are, I'm telling my experiences and the experiences of other black men.

What did everyone keep saying in that shitshow of a QCS thread? Don't Double Down. I'm a woman, I'm telling you what you're saying is sexist. Please stop. We shouldn't have to fight about this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

negromancer posted:

But if you show them some Polish name with 6 z's and no vowels, somehow they pronounce it perfectly.

True story, my wife's family's last name has a soft J and a hard W and nobody ever fucks it up. My name has a "ks" instead of an "x" and people gently caress it up constantly.

PT6A posted:

This is a lovely argument even if you're arguing for some sort of classical pronunciation, because lots of italian-americans with names like "D'amato" also pronounce the "D'" as "dee". And the whole point is that white people tend to get really prescriptivist when talking about black names, like it's disrespectful that they've diverged from the approved names list.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, but you really can't fault people for making the wrong assumption either way, can you?

EDIT: To summarize, names are weird and people will occasionally pronounce any name they aren't familiar with incorrectly. Not helpful either is the fact that many people will pronounce their names differently from other people who have the same name, or differently from how they would be pronounced in the language of origin. So, you're basically guaranteed to get it wrong occasionally. My surname is German in origin, but being Canadian a lot of people will pronounce it as French, but my family and I use a neutral English pronunciation most of the time. Not a big deal, when people mispronounce things they usually aren't doing it on purpose.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 8, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

OTOH Melania should just be called Melanie.

Uhhh... what? It's a real name that's been used for centuries in various places, mostly southeastern Europe (where Melania Trump is from). There's a christian saint with that name, even.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

negromancer posted:

It's really not. It's talking about how people don't realize that things change because their environment changed, and how that affects their dating lives and availability of people they are interested in.

You get dudes who go from growing up around virtually all black people, to going to college, to then a workplace with all white people, move to a white neighborhood, and then go "where all the black women at, they must not like me for x,y, and z", when they don't realize they just are around a LOT less black people on the whole.

It's trying to extrapolate your limited experience to "black women date like this, white women date like this" and expecting a pass for it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

PT6A I know you are pretty incurably Like This but you can be Like This in some other thread because all us black folk got rounded up in this ghetto and I'll be hosed if I'll let you pull your poo poo in either of the all of two threads we're allowed to post in now. You don't get to tell black people you know what's best for them.

For anyone who read the QCS thread, this is another good example of the borderline poo poo that's impossible to request mod action about without just drawing heat on yourself for being a crazy negro whining about poo poo for no reason.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but you really can't fault people for making the wrong assumption either way, can you?

Yeah but the original post you replied to was expressly about someone purposely saying it wrong and refusing to correct themselves.

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PT6A posted:

No, not really. Because almost every single black person with a D' in front of their names pronounces it as "dee". Like, all you have to do is have a passing interest in football or basketball (which like 1000000% of white people do) to have heard these names pronounced correctly a million times. Or you just have to know an italian person, who also pronounce their poo poo that way. The only people pronouncing D' as having no inflection to it at all are loving french speakers.

You're one of those fuckers who call the Goa'uld "goulds" aren't you?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What did everyone keep saying in that shitshow of a QCS thread? Don't Double Down. I'm a woman, I'm telling you what you're saying is sexist. Please stop. We shouldn't have to fight about this.

I will admit, this seems like the kind of argument I am obligated to sit out on the sidelines from. I don't want to make it sound like I am refusing to take a side, but I am really not sure I have anything of value, as a white person, to add to a discussion about sexism in the black community.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I get twitchy as gently caress about new age white kid names. Aiden, Brayden, Kayden, Jayden..... oh and "Gunner" (shockingly his father has a pickup with fake smokestacks and covered in NRA stickers. Poor kid.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but the original post you replied to was expressly about someone purposely saying it wrong and refusing to correct themselves.

Yeah, that's unacceptable, fully. There's no excuse to mispronounce a name after you've been told how the person whose name it is tells you how they prefer it to be pronounced. I missed that part originally.

PT6A I know you are pretty incurably Like This but you can be Like This in some other thread because all us black folk got rounded up in this ghetto and I'll be hosed if I'll let you pull your poo poo in either of the all of two threads we're allowed to post in now. You don't get to tell black people you know what's best for them.

For anyone who read the QCS thread, this is another good example of the borderline poo poo that's impossible to request mod action about without just drawing heat on yourself for being a crazy negro whining about poo poo for no reason.

Fair enough, sorry about that. I'll stop now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No, not really. Because almost every single black person with a D' in front of their names pronounces it as "dee". Like, all you have to do is have a passing interest in football or basketball (which like 1000000% of white people do) to have heard these names pronounced correctly a million times. Or you just have to know an italian person, who also pronounce their poo poo that way. The only people pronouncing D' as having no inflection to it at all are loving french speakers.

PT6A is a racist who likes to browbeat minorities for being "wrong" every time he doesn't understand something and you can expect to see quite a bit more of his work now that he's found this thread.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Also I am totally that guy except I do it exclusively to special snowflake white name spellings instead, and I'm not sure if I should feel bad about it or not.

never feel bad about this

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

It's trying to extrapolate your limited experience to "black women date like this, white women date like this" and expecting a pass for it.

Except...literally black women matchmakers talk about how its a persistent issue in their black women clients, I literally posted a video of just that.

And I explained how that's NOT what I was saying, and its the go to response for people who don't examine their environment and biases.

You're right. I'll ask you why in the PMs and we can have a further discussion if needed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like it's a bit unfair to make fun of people with terrible names because it really wasn't their choice. Shame the parents some how, but the poor kid has to live with it or adopt their middle name or some poo poo.

Also scify and fantasy are full of names with apostrophes in them, people know how to pronounce this poo poo it's just feigned ignorance to let everyone know you don't approve of a name.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

You're right. I'll ask you why in the PMs and we can have a further discussion if needed.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

I get twitchy as gently caress about new age white kid names. Aiden, Brayden, Kayden, Jayden..... oh and "Gunner" (shockingly his father has a pickup with fake smokestacks and covered in NRA stickers. Poor kid.)

Trig is the worst.

THE WORST NAME.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Stargate burns are the best burns.

Yo, PT6A, the chevrons are locked. It's time for you to go.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I feel like it's a bit unfair to make fun of people with terrible names because it really wasn't their choice. Shame the parents some how, but the poor kid has to live with it or adopt their middle name or some poo poo.

Also scify and fantasy are full of names with apostrophes in them, people know how to pronounce this poo poo it's just feigned ignorance to let everyone know you don't approve of a name.

YES.

I'm always like "Tell me more white man about how you can pronounce with perfection the Call of Cthulu but can't pronounce Dashana"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koalas March posted:

Stargate burns are the best burns.

Yo, PT6A, the chevrons are locked. It's time for you to go.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

Trig is the worst.

THE WORST NAME.

The Palins are a plague of locusts on us all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meanwhile, the leader of the RNC is named loving Reince

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Happens a lot with black men. As I stated before, being a black man of any stature is harder than dating as a nerdy white man, so when things don't "work," people start making theories on how to beat the system and over thinking things.

edit: Not even as in black men turn into pick up artists, it's more like, "what the gently caress more can I do to be as happy in relationships as other people around me SEEM," and that results in overanalyzing every single thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just wanted to say sorry, I should think more and talk out my rear end less.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Teal'c is the best. It's hard to be stoic and likable and Judge nails it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^^Chris Judge was so underrated as an actor and it's sad he hasn't done much of note since. He took the lame scifi stereotype of "big black and surly" and really did something new and interesting with it.

Baronjutter posted:

Exactly. It's just a more subtle form of lame "Oranjello" style jokes. If you genuinely don't know how to say a name and you were being a non-fake-rear end person, you'd just ask the person/people around you how to pronounce the name. You will see white people ask foreigners how to pronounce their names all the time (and making sure you get a foreign person's name right is typically scene as respectful and upstanding). Why are "black names" the only ones where it's like "you used letters differently from how I expected, your name is wrong rargghg".

Like, how do you pronounce the following names:
1)Patrice
2)Shanice
3)Azubakay (gently caress, this one is straight up phoenetic and the guy from my previous story still pronounced it wrong to this person's face)
4)D'metrius

This guy I am forced to socialize will 100% assured get these wrong every time, no matter how much he's corrected on names exactly like those. Hell, Azubakay is literally from Ghana but moved here as a kid and has no accent, so somehow he didn't even get the "foreign guy" courtesy.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Now this is something I'm posting from pure ignorance, but it is something I've noticed.

It was brought up that people don't get to choose their own names, BUT we as black people when we have ethnic names, just resign ourselves to correcting every ignorant white person that feels like being a jackass about their ethnic illiteracy, but Asians, specifically Chinese and Vietnamese, will make up a American name like Jake or Mike, when their real name is Nguyen or Han, and rather than make them call them by their actual name and put some respekt on it.\

I've never understood how they reacted in that manner while simultaneously professing an abundance of ethnic pride.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

Happens a lot with black men. As I stated before, being a black man of any stature is harder than dating as a nerdy white man, so when things don't "work," people start making theories on how to beat the system and over thinking things.

edit: Not even as in black men turn into pick up artists, it's more like, "what the gently caress more can I do to be as happy in relationships as other people around me SEEM," and that results in overanalyzing every single thing.

Yep, when its usually the simplest answer, like "you moved to an all white town, did you expect black women to fall from the sky?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair to some sheltered people, some names are a bit unintuitive to pronounce and if you've grown up only exposed to a certain stock of names, new ones can throw you for a loop. I had a friend named Sean and a friend named Liam in school and teachers would constantly get them wrong. "See-an?" "Lie-am?". God drat my friend "Bonnar" had it a bit rough too. And unless you know the name, Siobhan is never going to be said correctly.

Wow I guess the irish really are oppressed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

negromancer posted:

Now this is something I'm posting from pure ignorance, but it is something I've noticed.

It was brought up that people don't get to choose their own names, BUT we as black people when we have ethnic names, just resign ourselves to correcting every ignorant white person that feels like being a jackass about their ethnic illiteracy, but Asians, specifically Chinese and Vietnamese, will make up a American name like Jake or Mike, when their real name is Nguyen or Han, and rather than make them call them by their actual name and put some respekt on it.\

I've never understood how they reacted in that manner while simultaneously professing an abundance of ethnic pride.

I work in tech so I have a lot of Chinese and Indian coworkers, and what they tell me is that if white people can pronounce your name and you look "presentable (e.g., dressed like a white person) then people will more or less just treat you like any other person. For a black person, changing your name isn't going to make you any less black and it's blackness that whites react to. Being dicks about names is just one of many tools in the toolbox of hate.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wish some people of Asian ethnicity would make me use their real name instead of their Americanized name but I don't think I have much of a say in the matter. In the end, I call them the name they wish to be called.

Then again, I'd probably butcher their real name, anyway.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair to some sheltered people, some names are a bit unintuitive to pronounce and if you've grown up only exposed to a certain stock of names, new ones can throw you for a loop. I had a friend named Sean and a friend named Liam in school and teachers would constantly get them wrong. "See-an?" "Lie-am?". God drat my friend "Bonnar" had it a bit rough too. And unless you know the name, Siobhan is never going to be said correctly.

Wow I guess the irish really are oppressed.

Black people are extra cool about how we approach it.

If we look at your name and know we can't pronounce that poo poo to save our lives, congrats, you got a new cool rear end nickname.

At least that's how it was in the projects growing up. Hell we did that to people who DON'T have complicated names.

My cousin Anthony is called Scooter by EVERYONE. I literally thought his name was Scooter until I was 24 and went to visit him when he was locked up.

I work in tech so I have a lot of Chinese and Indian coworkers, and what they tell me is that if white people can pronounce your name and you look "presentable (e.g., dressed like a white person) then people will more or less just treat you like any other person. For a black person, changing your name isn't going to make you any less black and it's blackness that whites react to. Being dicks about names is just one of many tools in the toolbox of hate.

That makes an abundance of sense and now I'm mad I didn't think of that earlier.

• Locked thread