Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ASAP for the sweet sweet First Fall announcement that everyone has to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

^burtle posted:

I roped Lumpy into some CTF and Skirmish with me last night and we did pretty well but every once in awhile we ran into a group that just feasted. Especially in Hardpoint where no one was playing the objective.

When do you think is the ideal time to pop a titan? Better to be early than late? I've gotten into the habit of holding it to try and crash into another or to back up teammates, but sometimes it seems like I wait too long and then we're down 3-4 Titans to 1.

It depends. If I get a ton of kills in a row at the start of the match and get an early Titan, I might drop it to try to widen the lead.

If the enemy team has a bunch of Titans out and our team has nothing, I will hold mine and try to whittle down the other team with anti-Titan weapons and wait until enough of my team has Titans ready (you can see how many people have a Titan ready but not dropped). If you drop yours while the enemy team outnumbers you, it's just a waste as you will get focused down and killed instantly.

If a bunch of my team is dropping Titans, I will also drop mine, especially if the other team has more Titans on the field. You want your pushes to be at the same time, especially if the other team has more Titans. You don't want to be in a situation where they have an advantage and pick you off one at a time.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

In Training posted:

ASAP for the sweet sweet First Fall announcement that everyone has to see

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nalin posted:

Tone isn't going to be as effective at killing pilots as Ion,

LOL if you can hit with the Laser Shot you can certainly do the same with the 40mm, which is even more forgiving with giant splash and a decent ROF.

It's fine, I'm sure Tone will eventually get hers.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Seems like the pro strat people are using is to just camp with your team in spawn or a building and pick people off with the DMR or some other battle rifle ripoff weapon until you get your titan. What a boring way to play a game with such killer movement mechanics.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Huzanko posted:

Seems like the pro strat people are using is to just camp with your team in spawn or a building and pick people off with the DMR or some other battle rifle ripoff weapon until you get your titan. What a boring way to play a game with such killer movement mechanics.

This is not a pro strat.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Huzanko posted:

In my experience people who do this get steam rolled.

Also Tone is loving boring as poo poo and I am really sick of seeing a team going all tone or at least 4 tones, but man is it fun stomping these dumb try hard groups and telling them that they are "tone death".

I found what I believe to be the strongest overall build in the game.

Phase Shift -> Fire Shuriken

Flatline w/ faster ADS and Tactikill

Thunderbolt w/ faster ADS and faster reload

Tactical Recharge. Silent Rodeo.

Amped weapons boost.

Enjoy!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

el B posted:

This is not a pro strat.

I should've put it in quotes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Knifegrab posted:

In my experience people who do this get steam rolled.

Also Tone is loving boring as poo poo and I am really sick of seeing a team going all tone or at least 4 tones, but man is it fun stomping these dumb try hard groups and telling them that they are "tone death".

Amped weapons boost.

Enjoy!

ADS is Aim Down Sights, right?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LOL if you can hit with the Laser Shot you can certainly do the same with the 40mm, which is even more forgiving with giant splash and a decent ROF.

It's fine, I'm sure Tone will eventually get hers.

I think the Ion is better for anti-Pilot overall. The 40mm isn't hitscan so you can't goose as easily as the laser shot. And although it doesn't have the splash damage, the Ion secondary fire mode with the extra wide shots is also very good at killing pilots. And hilariously I've gotten tons of pilot kills with my tripwire. To the point where I think its more effective at killing pilots than hurting Titans.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 8, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

This seems like a build with a lot of answers for different situations. Good on ya.

Nalin posted:

I think the Ion is better for anti-Titan overall. The 40mm isn't hitscan so you can't goose as easily as the laser shot.

The laser shot has a small delay before firing so a little bit of prediction is needed there as well.

I've been goosed a shitload by Tones, at all ranges. The 40mm is the best anti-Pilot main weapon in the game, hands down.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 8, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Count Bleck posted:

ADS is Aim Down Sights, right?

Correct. The flatline has the hipfire accuracy of the alternator, with a better damage model and the ability ot engage at mid-range by ADS. It has the weakest range of any of the AR's putting it firmly between being an SMG and an AR but with significant punch.

As long as you realize you need to close some distance (which phase shift can help with) the flatline seems to kill quicker than most things.

Also though I wrestled with it because charge hack charge beam is really good, thunderbolt is probably the best most reliable AT weapon to use.

Edit: Whoops point of correction, the alternator and flatline have the exact same damage model. However the flatline has 10 more rounds in its clip, can ADS faster, and can headshot from a greater range (Pilot crit range). The only thing the alternator has over the flatline is it has a slightly better hipfire spread, and can be holstered quicker.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 8, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

This seems like a build with a lot of answers for different situations. Good on ya.

The laser shot has a small delay before firing so a little bit of prediction is needed there as well.

I've been goosed a shitload by Tones, at all ranges. The 40mm is the best anti-Pilot main weapon in the game, hands down.

You can still aim while the laser is deploying so all you need to do is track the target a little, also you can hold the shot for a few seconds to skip having to wait for the animation if you're expecting a shot. Great for hitting pilots as soon as they eject.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Agreed. Tone's gun in the first Titanfall was GREAT against titans because it was super accurate and made getting critical hits relatively easy. However it did NOT have splash damage so if you wanted to kill a pilot you have to be dead on and it was real tough. Now it's a joke.

Tones gun is almost exactly the same as it was in TF1. 40mm has always been a projectile with splash damage and could kill pilots and Titans quite easily

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Antoine Silvere posted:

and to a lesser extend titans. it's also very useful when you don't have electric smoke up:

I'm stealing this and claiming I came up with it.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I'm stealing this and claiming I came up with it.

Gotta love the backscratcher.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Amped weapons boost.

Enjoy!

Solid setup fo sho. What all you use the fire shuri for? When I've messed around with it I ended up using the better grenades perk to feel like I was doing anything so the recharge wasn't an eternity and to help me aim for titans. Pretty much all I used it for was hittin titans, occasionally huckin one on reload or whatever hoping for a pilot kill.

PS It's on the first map load that my adaptive res framerate target resets to 60, heads up anyone running higher refresh rates and using that option (which ya should be!) to check it when you jump in a game.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 8, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

teh_Broseph posted:

Solid setup fo sho. What all you use the fire shuri for? When I've messed around with it I ended up using the better grenades perk to feel like I was doing anything so the recharge wasn't an eternity and to help me aim for titans. Pretty much all I used it for was hittin titans, occasionally huckin one on reload or whatever hoping for a pilot kill.

Usually use them for blinding Titans, but I love nailing pilots head-on with them. It's quite easy when they try to rodeo your buddy

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

teh_Broseph posted:

Fire shuri is probably the one thing you could seriously change around a lot. I use it because area denial is good, and it damages very fast so its good for throwing on doors in bounty hunt for example. Though the area is much smaller than electric smoke, electric smoke will rarely net a kill due to its low DoT.

The other main advantage of fire shuri that most people don't realize is 1) it does 2/3 of a pip of damage to a titan and 2) if you can land it right it pretty much blinds them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nalin posted:

I think the Ion is better for anti-Pilot overall. The 40mm isn't hitscan so you can't goose as easily as the laser shot. And although it doesn't have the splash damage, the Ion secondary fire mode with the extra wide shots is also very good at killing pilots. And hilariously I've gotten tons of pilot kills with my tripwire. To the point where I think its more effective at killing pilots than hurting Titans.

Tone's just as effective, with Tone hitting pilots isn't that hard, and if you take cover or run into a building it's easy to just spray the gun on the floor close to where the pilot went and just finish them off with the splash damage. Oh and you also get a missile that will show you were pilots are taking cover if they're trying to hide from you.

Tone is broken.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ReadingZucchini posted:

Gotta love the backscratcher.

hilariously enough, the Tonecannon is also good at self backscratching

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My favorite fighting Tone thing is when they manage to take my fresh Scorch into doomed with one use of their Salvo Core. Which is easier to hit with then my Flame Core, which also doesn't do as much damage.

Fun.

*Scorch voice* Pilot levels of butthurt approaching critical

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

My favorite fighting Tone thing is when they manage to take my fresh Scorch into doomed with one use of their Salvo Core. Which is easier to hit with then my Flame Core, which also doesn't do as much damage.

Fun.

*Scorch voice* Pilot levels of butthurt approaching critical

See someone getting into their robutt -> fire salvo in air/behind them -> start shooting at them, watch them explode and die -> praise satan for another soul claimed

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm considering using Scorch for a while with the boost option, anyone who's been playing longer can attest to its efficiency?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Honest Thief posted:

I'm considering using Scorch for a while with the boost option, anyone who's been playing longer can attest to its efficiency?

Boost is everyone's best option in kit 1? I can't imagine playing a Titan without a boost, especially one as reliant on peeking as Scorch.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I meant the dash move, not sure if that's boost or not but I tend to call it that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hackan Slash posted:

Boost is everyone's best option in kit 1? I can't imagine playing a Titan without a boost, especially one as reliant on peeking as Scorch.

It really is quite good and some kits are specifically terrible (auto-eject for example), but there are a couple titans that do benefit greatly from nuclear eject.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've literally never been killed by nuclear eject. It needs to be much faster to be worth a drat.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Honest Thief posted:

I meant the dash move, not sure if that's boost or not but I tend to call it that.

It's called Turbo Engine, but yes, it's a good choice for Scorch and Legion IMO. I use it on both, and the extra mobility is very useful. Great for getting out of a fire lane, great for closing on someone backed into a corner so you can shove your fire shield straight up their rear end. (the best move)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

I've literally never been killed by nuclear eject. It needs to be much faster to be worth a drat.

I don't get killed by it often but I get kills with it all the time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm really enjoying Spare Battery at the moment. Having extra shield whenever I drop a titan kinda owns!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I am here to preach the wonders of the Softball Launcher.

It has a learning curve, but you can walk into a room full of pilots (see: Banks in Bounty Hunter) and walk out the winner without even reloading.

Also Nuclear Eject is cool and good in Bounty Hunter against AI titans, who can't usually figure out how to get away from it and will eat it in entirety, providing you with $texas and a new titancall immediately.

Maybe I'm playing bad players, but the number of times I can corner a Scorch / Legion and just det their face off is hilarious, too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Knifegrab posted:

I don't get killed by it often but I get kills with it all the time.

This, if I know I'm going to lose I just boost in to them and start mashing square.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The Softball Launcher + Electric Smoke grenades are my jam in bounty hunt.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

IronDoge posted:

My favorite thing about the softball is if you shoot it at a pilot and get a hit marker you know in a second you will get a kill because a direct hit is a guaranteed kill on a pilot (10 damage for the direct hit + 90 for the explosion)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harvey Baldman posted:

Maybe I'm playing bad players, but the number of times I can corner a Scorch / Legion and just det their face off is hilarious, too.

Scorch and Legion are slow and by default they have no dashes so they are very vulnerable to nuclear eject. And even if you don't kill them, you most likely put them into a doomed state.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

IronDoge posted:

I actually still use arc grenades, but my kit is also cloak + silent running for stealing cores, so the grenades help me get in and out.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What's the deal with shields? Like both the ones players can drop and that a Tone can drop. Sometimes I see people shooting through them. Do they stop all projectiles or just certain ones? Or do they just reduce damage?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

attackmole posted:

What's the deal with shields? Like both the ones players can drop and that a Tone can drop. Sometimes I see people shooting through them. Do they stop all projectiles or just certain ones? Or do they just reduce damage?

All shields cannot be penetrated by any weapons from the "front" side, and generally allow the player to shoot through the "back" side at the opponent they are attacking. In the case of the Player shields, the shields themselves will stop an unlimited amount of damage to their "front" for 15 seconds UNLESS their base generator (which is a small target at the bottom) is blown up.

For Titan shields, they generally have a hard time limit and an amount of damage they can stop before breaking. They completely stop all damage until they hit that limit, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

All shields cannot be penetrated by any weapons from the opposing team. In the case of the Player shields, the shields themselves will stop an unlimited amount of damage for 15 seconds UNLESS their base generator (which is a small target at the bottom) is blown up.

For Titan shields, they generally have a hard time limit and an amount of damage they can stop before breaking. They completely stop all damage until they hit that limit, though.

Also it's important to note that you can shoot through your own player/tone shield and it amps damage.