Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not even a guarantee that the products contain whatever garbage herbs they claim are in there. Dietary supplements are totally unregulated.

Well, the one thing they aren't allowed to say/do is claim that they can be used to treat a disease/illness. Which is why John specifically called out those hidden cam videos because those representatives were definitely over the line by saying stuff like how it would get rid of brain tumors or fix congestive heart failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CrashCat posted:

I suspect even more people will panic buy guns if he doesn't.
Those people all own guns already

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

irlZaphod posted:

They'll buy more

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

irlZaphod posted:

Haha, you think they would ever own 'enough' guns

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Actually, it's common knowledge in the more intellectually-oriented firearms circles that the manufacturers LOVE the idea of democrat presidents; sales go through the roof, for no good reason. Especially if the House stays republican; just because the president says 'we should have stricter gun control' doesn't mean much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love the mentality behind that. "They're gunna take my guns! I better get em all now!"

If the government was actually planning to take your guns, it really isn't going to matter whether or not you bought them before they made that decision.

(and yes I know sometimes grandfathering is a thing but that's still something they can choose not to do - they could do a mandatory buyback instead to compensate gun owners for now-illegal firearms. They don't HAVE to let you keep them just because it was legal at the time)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's a bit dumber than that. I know people who bought AR15s before last election not because they wanted one or thought they were gonna get banned but because they thought the price was gonna go up and they might want to buy one in the future and it might get too expensive.

Or course gun/ammo prices did go up mainly because of idiots panic buying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What I'm reading here is, I should become the top guy in a gun based MLM.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I love the mentality behind that. "They're gunna take my guns! I better get em all now!"

If the government was actually planning to take your guns, it really isn't going to matter whether or not you bought them before they made that decision.

(and yes I know sometimes grandfathering is a thing but that's still something they can choose not to do - they could do a mandatory buyback instead to compensate gun owners for now-illegal firearms. They don't HAVE to let you keep them just because it was legal at the time)

These people think they're going to engage in armed resistance when Obama/Hillary/etc come to round up the guns.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IRQ posted:

These people think they're going to engage in armed resistance when Obama/Hillary/etc come to round up the guns.

I guess that won't be a problem any more! :suicide:

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
ahem :smug:

Ausmund posted:

I think people underestimate Trump enough that he could easily win and shatter everyone's worldview.

This has done nothing but fuel his campaign and give him all the coverage and exposure he's wanted. It's not working and it's time people start realizing it.

Scorchy posted:

He's down 7-9 points, and Clinton has a better chance of winning Texas than Trump has of winning the election.

Mulva posted:

Nah.

He's had to take his name off his hotels because he's destroyed his branding. Like this isn't even a good troll because there's nothing in any aspect of reality that looks good for Donald Trump.

Eiba posted:

I mean, this is just a disagreement about what is actually happening in reality.

No, it has not fueled his campaign. When people treated it like a sideshow and a joke, when all his competitors were backstabbing each other because he couldn't possibly win, it fueled his primary campaign.

When people took him seriously, his numbers tanked. The only reason he had any shot at anything in the general is that Clinton is (for a whole different set of reasons) also historically disliked. And even as she's hit with a whole mess of scandals and revelations, nothing can stop the nosedive in Trump's poll numbers.

I don't know if apocalyptic nihilism is a more satisfying explanation to you on principle, or if you're just trolling, but what you're describing does not reflect what is clearly happening.

And I mean, what do you suggest? Accept that Trump is right, nothing matters, and cruelty, selfishness, and petty tribal loyalties are all that drive us? Accept his behavior as natural and fine and go about our business as if he were any other candidate? Surely if we do that Trump will be vanquished...
:smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is real life

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
So. I think we need to talk about last night, America. I thought we'd talked about this. But now look what you've done.

Fun fact: Immigration Canada's website crashed last night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bet John wishes he kept his U.K. citizenship right about now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn't matter. The entire European diaspora, EU or no, is going to trend heavily to the right. They'll all take a knee to avoid having to pay for their own comprehensive and collective defense.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh boy, LWT is going to be good.

If only there was a legal way for me to stream it in Canada :|

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you even lose natural citizenship?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

He can't renounce it unless he becomes a US citizen (or a citizen of some other state, I guess).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No Pants posted:

He can't renounce it unless he becomes a US citizen (or a citizen of some other state, I guess).
I mistakenly thought he had become a US citizen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wouldn't that just make him a dual citizen, rather than mean he loses his UK citizenship?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TheCenturion posted:

So. I think we need to talk about last night, America. I thought we'd talked about this. But now look what you've done.
I guess assumptions are still a bad idea, who knew

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

Wouldn't that just make him a dual citizen, rather than mean he loses his UK citizenship?
Does the UK allow that? Of course if the US doesn't require proof that you denounced your existing citizenship, he could do it regardless but with a big public profile I wouldn't risk it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is this a good time to bring up alternative voting systems

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rapeface posted:

Dunno, I think anything you do would still wind up with almost precisely half the country mutually despising the other half

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

rapeface posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/796328399744733184

No guys

It's good

This is totally not a hosed up system or anything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Does the UK allow that? Of course if the US doesn't require proof that you denounced your existing citizenship, he could do it regardless but with a big public profile I wouldn't risk it.

You can be a dual UK/US citizen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/796328399744733184

No guys

It's good

This is totally not a hosed up system or anything.
Within margin of error levels, half the country was going to be pissed no matter which way the electoral college went

Even the Senate wound up only one ahead

There's hardly a way in here to find a fair, honest mandate from the masses

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Within margin of error levels, half the country was going to be pissed no matter which way the electoral college went

Even the Senate wound up only one ahead

There's hardly a way in here to find a fair, honest mandate from the masses

I'm sorry, but last I checked, the half of the country that won wouldn't be in actual physical danger had things gone the other way.

A fair, honest mandate should definitely be expected when one side winning means that I have to worry for my livelihood, and that of numerous friends and loved ones.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ohh boy, LWT is going to be good.

If only there was a legal way for me to stream it in Canada :|

Ill trade you your canadian citizenship for my HBOgo password

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Honestly I think Canada might be 10-15 years away from its version of Brexit and Trump. Don't bother.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

... one side winning means that I have to worry for my livelihood, and that of numerous friends and loved ones.
Can you actually spell out what that threat means? It's not the first time I've heard it by a long shot but I haven't seen a single person explain it in more than the vaguest of terms.

If you don't want to, that's alright with me, but the difficulty should tell you something.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I liked the Adam Ruins Everything Election Special, where he points out that the main difference between now and the good-old-days is that the parties have polarized to an amazing degree. Otherwise, Trump will have some work to do to out-do good old El Beejay. Sorry, LBJ.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ill trade you your canadian citizenship for my HBOgo password

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Can you actually spell out what that threat means? It's not the first time I've heard it by a long shot but I haven't seen a single person explain it in more than the vaguest of terms.

If you don't want to, that's alright with me, but the difficulty should tell you something.

Well, :canada: when Alberta went NDP last year in a shocking upset, mainly due to the PC and Wild Rose Party splitting the conservative vote, i.e. the equivalent of Utah going Green Party in American terms I think, businesses all pulled out fearing the repercussions, which of course, caused the economy to take a huge hit, which could then be pointed at as proof that the correct decision had been made. :canada: Rather amusingly, this is the prime example I use to conservatives who complain about the very idea of electoral reform.

Might be something like that. Or maybe his friends and family all work in a company that specializes in janitorial services for Mosques.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

It's complicated, but basically I know a lot of people who are fearing for their safety right now, especially since we have poo poo like the actual loving KKK having victory gatherings and poo poo.

But I mean, honestly, what's to be said at this point? All the hateful poo poo said about minority groups and LGBT communities, vehement climate change denial, the everpresent misogyny... It just goes on and on and on. After the Brexit, violent crime against minority groups spiked to an absurd degree, and I'm hoping and praying with all my heart that we don't end up with a similar situation here, but I know better.

I'm just seeing so much poo poo right now, and each little bit breaks my heart.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The US will have the same hate crime spike except we have lots of guns. It will be a loving miracle if we even get to inauguration day without mosque bombings and mass shootings.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Grand Fromage posted:

The US will have the same hate crime spike except we have lots of guns. It will be a loving miracle if we even get to inauguration day without mosque bombings and mass shootings.
Pretty much this. Yeah there will be a few people who think that because Trump got elected they can commit a crime for free but there are also people who thought that because Obama got elected they could commit a crime for free. There's never going to be a lack of dumb assholes who will use an excuse to be violent.

Fearing for your safety any more today than yesterday is dumb, though it's an understandable reaction. Someone WILL be the victim of a violent crime today which they blame on Trump, and we will all pretend to be surprised and shocked by it, but people were also murdered yesterday and nobody cared.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Pretty much this. Yeah there will be a few people who think that because Trump got elected they can commit a crime for free but there are also people who thought that because Obama got elected they could commit a crime for free. There's never going to be a lack of dumb assholes who will use an excuse to be violent.

Fearing for your safety any more today than yesterday is dumb, though it's an understandable reaction. Someone WILL be the victim of a violent crime today which they blame on Trump, and we will all pretend to be surprised and shocked by it, but people were also murdered yesterday and nobody cared.

Obama didn't encourage violence at his rallies. Also there wasn't a large violent subculture as well as the KKK supporting him, pretending they are somehow equal is just silly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CrashCat posted:

Within margin of error levels

What are the margins of error out of interest? If Clinton got 50 million more votes (I'm aware she won't get close to that, it's an intentional exaggeration), would something happen then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm trying my damnedest to not go into a full blown rage at this, but I've had friends hurt today by Trump celebrators and if you're so naive as to think this is limited to violent crime I have no idea what to say to you. There is going to be so much fallout from this, and I would not be surprised one bit if we end up effectively rolling back the last decade of human rights or more.

When you have David loving Duke coming out and saying that his people won it for Trump, yes, it is perfectly reasonable to be worried.

• Locked thread