Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Speaking of jacks:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/could-this-4-multi-contact-jack-greatly-improve-your-guitar-tone-644126

FREQUENCY SPIKES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
As dumb as it sounds $4 is really pretty minor in the world of audiophile stupidity. Like I can't even get upset about that, I was expecting it to be like $150 a jack because TONE.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a good design but the name is funny

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

unlawfulsoup posted:

As dumb as it sounds $4 is really pretty minor in the world of audiophile stupidity. Like I can't even get upset about that, I was expecting it to be like $150 a jack because TONE.

Yeah $4 is not bad on an individual basis, but consider the cost implications at scale. A good quality Neutrik monojack is just over a dollar per piece, roughly, and a generic one is maybe 75 to 80 cents. If I'm building a mixer or something, or a run of pedals, and buying 50 or a hundred jacks... :homebrew:

Still not as egregious a pricing model as NOS capacitors or whatever, I will give it that.

It's a better design because it's less likely to get loose and scratchy over time or unplug accidentally (though not as secure as a locking jack,) but I highly doubt it's going to transmit FULL HD SPECTRUM AUDIO compared to a standard jack. There's improved design, and then there's exaggerated claims about that design.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: Wrong windows, sorry. But it is music-related and stupid so :shrug:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cats on amps time

here's Rosemary bein' a fat dumb fluff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you know what's stupid music poo poo?
a rickenbacker pickup ring costing 150 dollars

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Allen Wren posted:

cats on amps time

here's Rosemary bein' a fat dumb fluff

My buddy had the double speaker/stereo chorus version of that amp. I was always so jealous of the sound he got from that thing without having to mess with it much.

I always wanted one, but always ended up getting something cheaper rather than saving up to get a good one. Best amp I ever owned was a Peavy V120 (I think.. it's been a long time since I had it). 100W head, and a 4-speaker cab. Handled lots of Northern Illinois gigging, and only acted weird a few times--nothing a fist to the top didn't solve.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

woodch posted:

My buddy had the double speaker/stereo chorus version of that amp. I was always so jealous of the sound he got from that thing without having to mess with it much.

I always wanted one, but always ended up getting something cheaper rather than saving up to get a good one. Best amp I ever owned was a Peavy V120 (I think.. it's been a long time since I had it). 100W head, and a 4-speaker cab. Handled lots of Northern Illinois gigging, and only acted weird a few times--nothing a fist to the top didn't solve.

I had no idea there WAS a double-speaker version. My father found this one on the side of the road with no speaker, we cleaned it up, I bought a new Celestion of the same sort that came in it stock. I'm either not a good enough guitarist or just not aware enough of my signal chain and hardware to really get the most out of it. It sounds fantastic clean, but I've never quite been happy with it dirty, and the dirty channel will often just go into the shitzone if you put too much grit into it from your pedals. It's my only non-practice amp, though, so it's not going anywhere.

also I expected more questions about Rosie than about the amp, but I did post in this thread.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
What is Rosie's opinion of belly scratching?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

What is Rosie's opinion of belly scratching?

she is all about that poo poo, and will flop down on her back basically anywhere in the apartment

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG7321-6-string-wide-neck-for-big-hands-/192020548997?rmvSB=true

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh my

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Could be worse. He could have reliced it before putting it up for sale

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I had my run in with MY PRECIOUS TONE at a local music shop - I was going in to look for a baritone guitar (sadly the one they had wasn't doing it for me) and this kid who looked and sounded about 15 or so was arguing with his parents that the amp they would let him buy couldn't possibly replicate THE BROWN SOUND and how he needed way more for it. He was rambling that he needed Frankenstein What surprised me the most is I would expect newer kids to have moved on to some new hotness of sound to worship, but instead they're still on that.

Tone. Tone never changes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tbf, those old records still sound pretty good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ultimate-Guitar published this article about some dude that makes ugly Steampunk guitars:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/6_amazing_steampunk-themed_guitars.html

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

stillvisions posted:

I had my run in with MY PRECIOUS TONE at a local music shop - I was going in to look for a baritone guitar (sadly the one they had wasn't doing it for me) and this kid who looked and sounded about 15 or so was arguing with his parents that the amp they would let him buy couldn't possibly replicate THE BROWN SOUND and how he needed way more for it. He was rambling that he needed Frankenstein What surprised me the most is I would expect newer kids to have moved on to some new hotness of sound to worship, but instead they're still on that.

Tone. Tone never changes.

they're a dying breed

literally; that kid is probably gonna remain a virgin well into his 20s

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ultimate-Guitar published this article about some dude that makes ugly Steampunk guitars:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/6_amazing_steampunk-themed_guitars.html

I do appreciate that all of the little thingies work and spin, but other than that why would you ever want any of those?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I do appreciate that all of the little thingies work and spin, but other than that why would you ever want any of those?

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND JESUS DAD YOU'RE SO UNCOOL

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

The only group who would want them are steampunk enthusiasts who incidentally are people who have absolutely no sense of taste and dress up like this:

Seriously gently caress steampunk.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
when did steampunk become shorthand for dressing like les claypool fell into a hardware store bin

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

when did steampunk become shorthand for dressing like les claypool fell into a hardware store bin

basically as soon as les claypool started dressing like that

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm a fan of the goggles that can't fit over their glasses. I know glasses-compliant safety gear is ugly and clunky, but c'mon, dudes. Commit to your Bedazzled Scientist/Imperialism Apologist schtick.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

I have seen countless photos of these idiots and maybe 3 or 4 of them didn't look like total imbeciles. Steampunk music is also a horrid affair, but that should come as absolutely no surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have seen countless photos of these idiots and maybe 3 or 4 of them didn't look like total imbeciles. Steampunk music is also a horrid affair, but that should come as absolutely no surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw

steam powered giraffe is genuinely one of the worst things ive ever seen including the holocaust

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Literally day one, wtf else did it ever mean?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Antivehicular posted:

I'm a fan of the goggles that can't fit over their glasses. I know glasses-compliant safety gear is ugly and clunky, but c'mon, dudes. Commit to your Bedazzled Scientist/Imperialism Apologist schtick.

i only fucks with iso-9001 certified steampunk

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The worst part of those goggles and top hats is it always reminds me of 4 Non Blondes

edit: sorry if mentioning that band triggers any ear worms

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i only fucks with iso-9001 certified steampunk

Is that the one with the artificial fake copper arm or the one with the retarded looking mimes?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

...and the pitch! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Literally day one, wtf else did it ever mean?

Bravestarr and Sherlock Holmes in the 23rd Century was cool but then I was 10 so :shrug:

e: Nah it's still cool for anime.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

...and the pitch! posted:

Forgiven, but goddammit totally triggered due to my "Closer To Fine" (yes I know, it's not the same band) white male terrible tone-deaf acoustic wannabe guitarist and singer roommate. I couldn't even teach the guy "How I Wish You Were Here." He was tone-deaf. And he loved 4-Non Blondes and Blues Traveler and loving kill me already

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haha what the gently caress?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Here's my latest stupid music poo poo news: I bought a chickenbacker 4003. And I also got a set of Joe Barden Ric pickups with it so I can join the faustus barden clubb

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:feelsgood:

(The Fralins, as it happens, turned out to be quite amazing as well.)

I've been wanting to post pics of the finished Tele in my new Fender pro tweed case but loving Sam Ash gently caress them gently caress them to hell I ordered in-store on Monday the 31st and they still don't expect it in until maybe next week I should have just ordered online like a normal person but no I had to go by the store hoping they'd have one in stock and hey we'll drop-ship it to you same price o sorry ours are damaged and we have to order from Fender and Fender is only sending orders in pallets due to the holidays it hasn't even shipped yet wtf :argh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

muike posted:

Here's my latest stupid music poo poo news: I bought a chickenbacker 4003. And I also got a set of Joe Barden Ric pickups with it so I can join the faustus barden clubb

Love my crappy sparkle green chickenbacker. Congrats on the fun bad decision.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks. The finishing work is far from the best but it plays like a higher end squier with a thick old baseball neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Thanks. The finishing work is far from the best but it plays like a higher end squier with a thick old baseball neck
Genuine Rickenbackers have these super thin necks that are just gross. Only met one guy who liked them and he had these creepy baby hands.

• Locked thread