Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

Ehhhhh....

I would just say dress in a way in which you are comfortable that matches the general attitude of the kind of person you want. That's kind of overthinking things; there are no rules.

I do wear a lot of sports coats or suits in new situations, just to throw anyone around me off, not just about dating. That way I immediately establish myself as "not a ghetto black person but a professional one" and get better service, reaction, etc. wherever I go.

Agree. I have a bunch of sports coats specifically to throw over an Iron Man t-shirt and jeans, so that I look like "professional computer nerd" instead of "lazy black dude".

And I never really took what she said to heart, plus none of my girlfriends have ever cared, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

woke wedding drone posted:

Oh, hunting hunting LOL. Never mind

I read that the same way you did because of the topic and wasn't sure how to call that out. Whoops.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I would have told the matchmaker you dress in comic book t-shirts because you're trying to attract nerdy white girls.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

I would have told the matchmaker you dress in comic book t-shirts because you're trying to attract nerdy white girls.

woke wedding drone posted:

Oh, hunting hunting LOL. Never mind

The Shortest Path posted:

I read that the same way you did because of the topic and wasn't sure how to call that out. Whoops.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 8, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How else would you pronounce it? Mel-ay-nee-a?

But yeah that's the way it's pronounced in all the news things where I've heard her name. :shrug:

That is literally how I have been mentally pronouncing the name, and trying not to pronounce it as "melanoma"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As a white dude, do I have to wear a dashiki while in Negrotown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBv3BKY_604

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

As a white dude, do I have to wear a dashiki while in Negrotown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBv3BKY_604

If you look like this in one...

Then hell no.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Excuse me but that is a black character.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Excuse me but that is a black character.

Excuse me but you don't know colors.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

negromancer posted:

It was brought up that people don't get to choose their own names, BUT we as black people when we have ethnic names, just resign ourselves to correcting every ignorant white person that feels like being a jackass about their ethnic illiteracy, but Asians, specifically Chinese and Vietnamese, will make up a American name like Jake or Mike, when their real name is Nguyen or Han, and rather than make them call them by their actual name and put some respekt on it.\

Worked at a restaraunt with a Laotian guy years ago who changed his name to Phoukum when his family emigrated here, his given name was Bay. On the menu was "Phouk's quesadilla" and I was asked several times by old white dudes, trying to be discreet about it, "is this pronounced 'fucks'?".

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

negromancer posted:

If you look like this in one...

Then hell no.

It's like that one middle-aged guy who always wears Hawai'ian shirts except so, so much worse.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

highme posted:

Worked at a restaraunt with a Laotian guy years ago who changed his name to Phoukum when his family emigrated here, his given name was Bay. On the menu was "Phouk's quesadilla" and I was asked several times by old white dudes, trying to be discreet about it, "is this pronounced 'fucks'?".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

negromancer posted:

Maybe he only has a black and white monitor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That thing looks super comfy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

negromancer posted:

I didn't want to assume a reason, it was just something I've noticed among specific Asian groups, and I haven't gotten around to formally learning Cantonese yet.

No point doing this when Hong Kong is gonna be erased off the map in our generation!

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of chinese people think that it's 100% genetically impossible for non-chinese to speak chinese or understand chinese culture, so they need to adopt a western name for interfacing with non-chinese people because it would be impossible to expect anyone who isn't chinese to say their name. It's just become a traditional thing now as all the english language and international student programs tell them they simply have to adopt a western name as part of the program, and for doing business with western people in future. I thought it was weird as well. I had a friend from Taiwan named Ming. Not a hard name to say. But he had a western name of Mitchell. We'd tell him to just use his real name, be proud of who he is and such, but in the end he just had to tell us he was really uncomfortable using his chinese name as that simply wasn't what the other chinese students did, all chinese students learning english and talking to foreigners always use a western name, to do otherwise was stressful and uncomfortable. We realized we were putting our culture surrounding names on him when he viewed names very differently. For us your name is your name, it's a deeply personal thing and someone refusing to use it or refusing to even try to pronounce it is insulting. For him and many of the chinese students, they did not see names the same way and felt very uncomfortable using their chinese name when interacting with non-chinese people.

Dunno about Mandarin but for Cantonese speaking immigrants there's a couple things like HK being a British Colony so having an English name when interacting with the gwailo has been a thing for a while (also why, for example, there are probably more Chinese people named Clarence for example, than White people in any major city in Canada). Again, can't speak for experience for your Taiwanese friend here but in Canto, Ming has at least 3 different ways you can say it with different tones so you might say "Ming" with flat tone but this theoretically Cantonese Ming might actually be "Ming" with a rising tone and that would be a different word altogether. Sorta like calling someone named Tyler "Taylor" and being unable to tell the difference.

Another reason why most people don't bother using their Chinese names is that to say them right you have to code-switch into Cantonese pronounciation to say your name and then back to English which feels really unnatural. Upside to this is that it's super easy to do a fob impression if you just don't code-switch back.

Sorry for the China derail!

e: also there's a bit of "Western names will let me be taken more seriously in a professional manner" thing going on

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Eej posted:

No point doing this when Hong Kong is gonna be erased off the map in our generation!

Dunno about Mandarin but for Cantonese speaking immigrants there's a couple things like HK being a British Colony so having an English name when interacting with the gwailo has been a thing for a while (also why, for example, there are probably more Chinese people named Clarence for example, than White people in any major city in Canada). Again, can't speak for experience for your Taiwanese friend here but in Canto, Ming has at least 3 different ways you can say it with different tones so you might say "Ming" with flat tone but this theoretically Cantonese Ming might actually be "Ming" with a rising tone and that would be a different word altogether. Sorta like calling someone named Tylor "Taylor" and being unable to tell the difference.

Another reason why most people don't bother using their Chinese names is that to say them right you have to code-switch into Cantonese pronounciation to say your name and then back to English which feels really unnatural. Upside to this is that it's super easy to do a fob impression if you just don't code-switch back.

Sorry for the China derail!

e: also there's a bit of "Western names will let me be taken more seriously in a professional manner" thing going on

Nah, I asked the question specifically to get answers, and I figured there was going to be a diversity of perspectives, which is always appreciated.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Another thing to keep in mind is that there remains a deep assimilationist streak in As-Am thinking compared to most other ethnic groups in the United States. Part of it comes from us being consistently tested as "non-american-" See the discourse on "where are you really from" or the perpetual foreigner. But the pressure on As-Ams is to be proud in our communities, and blend in anywhere else.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

It's like that one middle-aged guy who always wears Hawai'ian shirts except so, so much worse.

Aww, I love my Hawaiian shirts. :smith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who has the best gently caress quesadillas?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

negromancer posted:

there's a whole dropped plotline from the third season which would have revealed that tobias is an extremely light skinned african american

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

there's a whole dropped plotline from the third season which would have revealed that tobias is an extremely light skinned african american

I'm glad they dropped it then, because that would have crossed over from hilarious to hilariously offensive as gently caress.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also the name thing happens with South Asians too with people cutting their 20+ letter name down to the first syllable and making it white friendly to say/look at (Raj, Vij, Shawn, Norm) in a professional setting but that's mostly out of my wheelhouse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

negromancer posted:

I'm glad they dropped it then, because that would have crossed over from hilarious to hilariously offensive as gently caress.
He wouldn't have been light-skinned, but adopted. But either way, yeah. Wouldn't have been great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a fairly rare name but it's a "real" name it's just old and english. When I searched for it on facebook half the results are Chinese dudes in Hong Kong, the other half black dudes in Atlanta. Basically no one anywhere else.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Crossover question from the Politoons thread: how hosed up is it when cartoonists consistently draw Obama with giant purple lips? It seems pretty hosed up to me.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Voyager I posted:

Crossover question from the Politoons thread: how hosed up is it when cartoonists consistently draw Obama with giant purple lips? It seems pretty hosed up to me.

on a scale of The Boondocks to John Parsons sex comics, its Song of the South level racist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

...How bad is Song of the South? My grandmother has mentioned it before as being one of her favorite Disney movies but I know literally nothing about it other than that one annoying song.

She's horrendously racist though, so I suppose that speaks for itself.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 8, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

...How bad is Song of the South? My grandmother has mentioned it before as being one of her favorite Disney movies but I know literally nothing about it other than that one annoying song

http://screencrush.com/song-of-the-south-racism/

A: really loving racist to the point where it was picketed in Harlem upon it's release.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 8, 2016

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Be advised, they say the n-word so fair warning

:gizz:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

...How bad is Song of the South? My grandmother has mentioned it before as being one of her favorite Disney movies but I know literally nothing about it other than that one annoying song.

Its bad enough that if you ask Disney about it they will pretend they have no loving clue what you're talking about, to the point where they will make you feel like maybe you made the whole thing up.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ak4vjiNzw

http://screencrush.com/song-of-the-south-racism/

A: really loving racist to the point where it was picketed in Harlem upon it's release.

Welp.

Yessssssss

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

It's pretty bad. But the cool thing about Song of the South is the story about Br'er rabbit because he is the perfect stand in for how smart the slaves had to be during their resistance in slavery.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Right wing meltdowns after elections are my anti-drug.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I'm tempted to set up a twitter bot that responds to every tweet I have in a twitter list with this image.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I'm tempted to set up a twitter bot that responds to every tweet I have in a twitter list with this image.

I mean...why not?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

The fuckin' "REEEEEE" does it for me. :laffo:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dexo posted:

I agree with the negromancer. Why wouldn't you?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
e: shoot, sorry, wrong thread.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is there any black persons in this thread based in the U.K.? I've been a bit curious as to how contemporary life is like now, especially with the stupid as hell referendum vote. I was listening to a podcast which was part of a... social media movement to try and get a greater exposure of black peoples into mainstream Britain but... I dunno, I couldn't get into it.

• Locked thread