Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I wanted to start a new game but now I don't want to play until all that cool caravan stuff is released :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed by, but has anybody made a mod for the Medieval Times mod that removes all the extra crap from the descriptions of the items it adds? Or at least moves it to the ends, so that the tooltips match the other stuff in the construction menus.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i really want to play the caravan update :peanut:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, my first colony has gone horribly, horribly wrong. I had a massive lightning storm and figured that those fires would burn themselves out. I was wrong. The map has been scoured of vegetation, my doctor, who based bitten horribly by a crazed rabbit, went insane trying to stop the blaze and beat my only other firefighter to the point where she couldn't move and thus was consumed by flames, Raiders came as my other colonist was trying to rescue people and shot him, so he is wounded and his wounds are infected.

The only colonist who is "okay" is my slightly burned pyromaniac who is currently trying to help the other two survivors despite no medical training, no supplies, and a camp that has burned to the ground. (Also almost no wood left)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Component construction is a total trap, they take so long to make with the bench, and quite a lot of steel and when you combine that with paying 30 components for the bench it takes waay too long just to recover the components you spent for the piece of poo poo bench. Have your colonists produce extra meals, drugs and furniture for sale and just pay for them from traders.

Also if you get high reputation with a faction, the cost of trade caravans falls to 300 silver instead of 600, and it really only takes 300ish silver in donations to bump them up to that level of friendliness.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just had a solid week of fallout kill every animal on the map that wasn't already domesticated and under my care.

I wasn't dependent on them for food, but :stare: nonetheless.

Also my first colonist died of infection at 99% immunity :smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Recently I've been getting back into Prison Architect. I will never take for granted how moddable Rimworld is again. So many issues with that game that could be fixed if it had a modding community like Rimworld. Thank you Conan Morelesster.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Katsuma posted:

I'm pretty sure the tailoring bench that comes with the Medieval mod lets you deconstruct simple clothing and get some of the cloth/materials back.

Not even that. You should have a standard tailoring bench and a "tailors loom". The loom can be used to salvage textiles from clothes. You can need a smelter (which you can get with the medieval mod early) to get metal from clothes.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok I'm seeing conflicting information. What's the minimum bedroom size to avoid bad thoughts, and what's the minimum work / rec / dining room size to get good thoughts?

Bedrooms: A clean 1x2 is sufficient to avoid any negative bedroom thoughts (unless they have a lover). A 2x2 is sufficient to get an impressive bedroom buff, if you put a masterwork silver royal bed in it.

For other rooms, getting the spacious buff requires a minimum of 7x7, with nothing in it, so in practice you need at least 7x8, and the pawn can't me up against the sides of the room (a pawn must be at least two tiles away from a wall to get the spacious room buff. yes, this is dumb). Getting an "impressiveness" rec/dining room buff mostly depends on having art in it. Two reasonably high quality wood grand statues will make pretty much any room impressive.

This album has some good "minimum" layouts to get the spacious interior buff.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zhentar posted:

Bedrooms: A clean 1x2 is sufficient to avoid any negative bedroom thoughts (unless they have a lover). A 2x2 is sufficient to get an impressive bedroom buff, if you put a masterwork silver royal bed in it.

For other rooms, getting the spacious buff requires a minimum of 7x7, with nothing in it, so in practice you need at least 7x8, and the pawn can't me up against the sides of the room (a pawn must be at least two tiles away from a wall to get the spacious room buff. yes, this is dumb). Getting an "impressiveness" rec/dining room buff mostly depends on having art in it. Two reasonably high quality wood grand statues will make pretty much any room impressive.

I love how much detail is in this game that room designs are planned out like this. There really is a lot of unappreciated complexity to colonist psychology. I feel like I've been running into problems with colonist mood because I've been ignorantly building hellholes that my colonists hate, much like the Standing Room Only poster from the other page.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I've got an electric tailoring bench with a pants bill, two perfectly healthy colonists with tailor enabled, and lots of leather. How come my guys won't make pants?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Huskalator posted:

I've got an electric tailoring bench with a pants bill, two perfectly healthy colonists with tailor enabled, and lots of leather. How come my guys won't make pants?

Some clothing can only take certain types of fabric to make, which I found out with tuques and parkas. Check the bill details to see if your colonists don't know how to make leather chaps.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Also, they can only be made out of a single kind of leather. 10 stacks of 20 leather all from different kinds of animals won't make you anything.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Do you have enough leather of one type? I don't think you can mix together leather from different animals.

mod idea: assless chaps that take slightly less leather than regular leather pants

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zhentar posted:

This is awesome and should really go in the OP.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On that note, the OP still mentions Alpha 14. Get on it, OwlFancier!

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

For the lost tribe scenario should I be pushing for complex clothing right away? That's been my usual plan since I can't think of any other way to survive the winter

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zhentar posted:

this picture is loving killing me

EDIT: VVV It's making me laugh my rear end off, imagine trying to work in a hospital set up with all the beds circling the single vitals monitor hooked up to all eight of them :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 8, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Why is it killing you, Danaru?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Danaru posted:

Should be a swastika tbh, guess I have an idea for my next base.

E; Didn't notice the vitals monitor feeding all of them, guess the swastika is out :smith:

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Can you operate and install bionic limbs on healthy colonists? Or do they have to be missing a limb first? Basically I wanna create a bionic super soldier.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Deketh posted:

Can you operate and install bionic limbs on healthy colonists? Or do they have to be missing a limb first? Basically I wanna create a bionic super soldier.

If you have a bionic limb you can install it on a healthy colonist, yeah.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deketh posted:

Make the million dollar man of your dreams, my friend.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod that gives bionic spines, femurs, humerus, liver, etc?

I have one that gives me all of that for animals, but I essentially want to borg all my people completely now that I am post scarcity and all I have left to build is defences.

E1:
E2: Image rehosted, steam doesn't like image leaching, apparently.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 9, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Danaru posted:

EDIT: VVV It's making me laugh my rear end off, imagine trying to work in a hospital set up with all the beds circling the single vitals monitor hooked up to all eight of them :v:

Doesn't the vitals monitor specifically say it only affects one bed

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

McGiggins posted:

Is there a mod that gives bionic spines, femurs, humerus, liver, etc?

I have one that gives me all of that for animals, but I essentially want to borg all my people completely now that I am post scarcity and all I have left to build is defences.

E:

Does the planet change with the seasons?

:discourse:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm thinking of coming back to this game having not played it in a while and- woah . . . what's going on with those screenshots? You can travel across the world map now?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Azhais posted:

Doesn't the vitals monitor specifically say it only affects one bed

It says "A bed can only be hooked up to one vitals monitor" implying that a bed can't utilize two monitors. It doesn't mention anything about a max limit for how many beds can be hooked up to a single monitor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm thinking of coming back to this game having not played it in a while and- woah . . . what's going on with those screenshots? You can travel across the world map now?

That's for an upcoming alpha, so not yet

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I just wish it wasn't so emasculating to play Randy Gentle

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

Sunblood posted:

It says "A bed can only be hooked up to one vitals monitor" implying that a bed can't utilize two monitors. It doesn't mention anything about a max limit for how many beds can be hooked up to a single monitor.

God loving dammit, you're right. I feel dumb for not realizing this.

But probably I'm going to continue to build my hospitals the 'correct' way for the same reason that I build workshops to leave clear walkways even though the pawns ignore them and crawl all over the work tables to get fresh raw materials from the production-floor stockpiles.

e: not-quite-ocd which applies only to video game living/working environments, for clarity

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

LonsomeSon posted:

But probably I'm going to continue to build my hospitals the 'correct' way for the same reason that I build workshops to leave clear walkways even though the pawns ignore them and crawl all over the work tables to get fresh raw materials from the production-floor stockpiles.

e: not-quite-ocd which applies only to video game living/working environments, for clarity

Hello my dear Internet twin :v: I am the same and it's terrible, I am never even happy with how it looks, which you'd think would be the one upside.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

LonsomeSon posted:

I thought the same thing for a long time, before I saw someone else's setup that had multiple beds to one monitor. It's poorly worded.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I will never build "perfectly optimal" setups because they look ugly and unlivable. I want my colonies to seem real, for RP purposes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LonsomeSon posted:

That annoys me to no end too. I started building workbenches into little 3x1 recessions in the wall just to keep the pawns from deciding that over the workbench is the fastest way to walk.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Danaru posted:

One note about this layout - the bottom two beds won't be able to watch TV. Pawns in bed can't watch anything behind the head of the bed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I will never build "perfectly optimal" setups because they look ugly and unlivable. I want my colonies to seem real, for RP purposes.

Yeah, I always try to strike a median between aesthetics and functionality. In Dwarf Fortress that usually meant I ended up building fractal setups but mining is a lot less viable in this game and fractal setups requiring mining to work because otherwise they have too much "surface area" to defend at once.

I think what I need to do is sit down and figure out exactly which rooms I need, what size each of them needs to be, and then see if I can fit them into appropriately sized "blocks" -- i.e., four 9x12 rooms, four 8 x 11 rooms, etc., with three-tile-wide hallways between.

I really don't like this whole "bedrooms just need to be two tiles because there's no debuff while asleep" rationale though. Bedrooms in the early fort especially fill too many roles, depending on things like if your hospital gets flooded, you get a prisoner wave, etc., so sometimes people spend a lot of time in their bedrooms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The amount of variables in play mean that "optimal" room sizes and things don't really matter a lot. Just build nice big main rooms like dining and rec, and give people whatever size room you can, bigger is easier to make impressive, but build what you like the look of. If you build it too big you will just find it easier to get impressive bonuses from it, build it smaller and it's easier to heat so less cold/hot sleep penalties.

There's no real "optimal" design for a lot of the base, because you can use a lot of different approaches to achieve the same effect, it depends on what you have access to.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My colonists spend like 90% of their time meditating in their bedrooms, I swear to loving god they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My guys crush smokeleaf and beers.