Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why should being in the left lane be a problem anyways if you're going at the speed limit or 5 above it?

Why are some people in this country such entitled special snowflakes that they simply have to go everywhere at 120-130 and gently caress everyone else for going "slower"?

Because I drive in Saskatchewan where the road is flat as gently caress and a straight line and going 130 isn't going to hurt anyone.

I'm not going to tailgate you and I'll slow down accordingly but get outta the left lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Speed isn't any more dangerous than any other road condition like rain or snow or dense traffic or high-speed winds. You probably shouldn't speed over ice past your local wal-mart on boxing day but dealing with difficult road conditions is a reality of driving and if you trust people to drive on slick roads (and maybe you don't) you can trust them to go fast on easy ones.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Utgardaloki posted:

Speed isn't any more dangerous than any other road condition like rain or snow or dense traffic or high-speed winds. You probably shouldn't speed over ice past your local wal-mart on boxing day but dealing with difficult road conditions is a reality of driving and if you trust people to drive on slick roads (and maybe you don't) you can trust them to go fast on easy ones.

I think that's part of the problem: I see people driving waaay too fast for conditions all the time when conditions are crap, even though it's technically within the posted speed limit. I was on a 110 km/h section of the TC and I had to go 50 km/h to see properly with wipers on full (and the entire right lane was full of people going that speed, it wasn't just me), and people were passing going twice that in the left-hand lane. I guarantee they couldn't see poo poo, and were at significant risk of hydroplaning.

It seems like the speed limits are designed for bad conditions and poorly maintained and/or large vehicles that can't handle well, as if it's meant to be a target speed, whereas the speed limit should be an absolute limit, and when you can't go that speed for whatever reason, you simply go slower.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Like it or not speed limits are to accommodate for the fact that humans are fallable and reducing the speed limit by 10KM/H drastically reduces the severity of injuries in vehicle vs pedestrian accidents among other things.

Also, every additional 10KM/H increases the the closure rate by 20KM/H which is often the difference between there being fatalities or not in a head on collision. On any undivided road you aren't going to see limits above 100 for this reason and even then it's rare.

Sorry kids but you aren't ever going to get to whip along at 150 on any road, even in self driving vehicles, because poo poo happens.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The only ethical speeding is my speeding.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

Like it or not speed limits are to accommodate for the fact that humans are fallable and reducing the speed limit by 10KM/H drastically reduces the severity of injuries in vehicle vs pedestrian accidents among other things.

Also, every additional 10KM/H increases the the closure rate by 20KM/H which is often the difference between there being fatalities or not in a head on collision. On any undivided road you aren't going to see limits above 100 for this reason and even then it's rare.

Sorry kids but you aren't ever going to get to whip along at 150 on any road, even in self driving vehicles, because poo poo happens.

I wasn't advocating for self-driving cars going at 150 KM/h--although they're much more capable of driving at that speed than a human could. Speed limits for freeways are fine between 80 and 120 KM/h by my standards. Any faster and we may as well just start building high speed rail everywhere which of course is never going to happen.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OSI bean dip posted:

This problem is solved just fine with self-driving vehicles

It's also solved with magic carpets

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

GENDERED SLUR posted:

It's also solved with magic carpets

One exists in a fantasy world and one is here already.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
How many people have already died letting their overpriced powerwheels drive for them?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

How many people have already died letting their overpriced powerwheels drive for them?

None?

There is that one guy that knocked his head off watching harry potter with tesla's mis-named cruise control.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Good lord the Americans are actually going to do it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

Good lord the Americans are actually going to do it.

Yes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
God loving help us all, I knew they were dumb but I never knew they were this dumb.

Please, let this end the right way...

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PT6A posted:

God loving help us all, I knew they were dumb but I never knew they were this dumb.

Please, let this end the right way...

Loving the new avatar bro!

Worst case you have some alibi when we get the new white guy as president downstairs

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Canadians can be smug again.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Until the Trump Empire annexes us I guess.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If we elect Doug Ford as PM we can save ourselves from Emperor Trump

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My God is it actually going to happen?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

If we elect Doug Ford as PM we can save ourselves from Emperor Trump

Doug would kill to be Gauleiter of Canada.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not sure why it depresses me so much, kinda like brexit did...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Amazingly enough, if we were to reckon the date by the French Republican calendar then today would be the 18th Brumaire.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Immigration Canada's website is currently down due to server load.

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Immigration Canada's website is currently down due to server load.

Hell of a way for the brain drain to reverse (at least for a while).

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Maybe now people will believe me when I say that polls do not matter anymore in this day and age.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is horrifying and depressing. What the gently caress.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

shoulda gone with bernard, america

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The real winner tonight is Kellie Leitch

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Dear PM Trudeau,

Build a wall.

thanks

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Posting from NY. I've thought a lot about it and Trudeau isn't so bad you guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Loving the new avatar bro!

Worst case you have some alibi when we get the new white guy as president downstairs

That doesn't cheer me up at all. I was unintentionally a prick, and I was right to be called out for it. I feel sick to my stomach watching what's going on south of the border right now. I'm loving frightened.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/NickKouvalis/status/796215424090152960

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What does a Canada without NAFTA look like?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

What does a Canada without NAFTA look like?

well our manufacturing has been gutted and our housing bubble is likely to pop soon so we've got...resource extraction left.

yeah.

Will Trump actually be able to fulfill his promise though?? will he even bother? Who knows!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahahahaha

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its amazing that we somehow managed to have the least worst vote in the last 12 months.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I was watching with family and we're all loving terrified but maybe there will be a reverse brain drain now that the anti-intellectuals are in power?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I wouldn't expect those brains to go to a place whose economy is so intimately tied to a country led by a [list of insults and slurs].

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No one is leaving the States for Canada for the same reason our job creators don't leave when you tax them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anyway, back to talking about Liberal's libbing.