Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Always give your shopkeepers personality.

That should be rule No. 1 for any video game involving or including shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never thought about it but that is a v good rule

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I can't believe Game Theory took down all their Smash History videos because (?) the guy who did them isn't with the channel anymore.

Those were like the only good thing about the channel.

Unless you actually like FNAF theories.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's just a debug guy right now so he's a clone of the player's sprite but when it's finished I'll probably make him a fat old guy with a constantly angry expression. He sells useful equipment at the expense of being a real jerk.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bad Seafood posted:

Always give your shopkeepers personality.

That should be rule No. 1 for any video game involving or including shops.

But don't make me click through heaps of dialog options to buy / sell things if I'm going to be doing it frequently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But don't make me click through heaps of dialog options to buy / sell things if I'm going to be doing it frequently.

The good news is that I'm way too lazy to create an entirely new screen interface for a shop, so I'm doing it the Castle Crashers way. I plan on plopping two separate rooms on either side of the guy's shop that lead to a big long wall of the stuff that's available for you to buy/use, one for armor and one for weapons. You don't even have to talk to the guy if you're not a fan of social interaction!

edit: I'll probably make him say stuff like "Don't waste my time!" if you come in and leave without buying anything, or "Thanks, now scram." if you do or similar. Really drive home that this guy has no redeeming qualities except for his items.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 9, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I can't believe Game Theory

Me either. I mean, Luigi is Mario's son?!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

precision posted:

Me either. I mean, Luigi is Mario's son?!

Wario is actually Mario from an alternate universe who suffered from being the host in a case of fetal resorption syndrome.

Sometime during the N64 era the fetus finally emerged from Wario fully formed, now known as Waluigi.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm gonna get hosed up and start titanfall tonight, I'll find out how hosed we are tomorrow morning

I voted this morning, but mostly to make sure our governor can't oust "activist judges" for upholding the roe vs wade

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like Charles Martinet's theory on waluigi

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Early voted for Waluigi last week, no line for me today.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I'm gonna get hosed up and start titanfall tonight, I'll find out how hosed we are tomorrow morning

I voted this morning, but mostly to make sure our governor can't oust "activist judges" for upholding the roe vs wade

My plan as well, though with less getting hosed up because work tomorrow.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Guy Mann posted:

Polygon is unfortunate because for the longest time they were actually making plenty of good original content with the McElroy bros and Nick Robinson and actual unedited footage of games, they just happened to come out at a time when hating games journalists was never more popular or fashionable and they committed the mortal sin of not hating the Xbox One enough at launch. So now they're another crappy Kotaku-esque pop culture/lifestyle blog in the name of driving clicks and Car Boys and Monster Factory are buried in a sea of "hey, remember [pop culture object]???" clickbait videos.

Was that before or after the infamous Mario Kart pie chart?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Frank really does look like a dude going through a mid-life crisis in Dead Rising 2 OTR.

It kills me that he almost looks Dan Aykroyd (in a good way). Also it just makes the clothing look the best on him because how out of shape he is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

hbomb is real great to put on when i make dinner.

Finally.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bloodychill posted:

Early voted for Waluigi last week, no line for me today.

:hellyeah: hope you're ready for 4 years of

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax3v-5D9S24&t=85s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm fantastic! I voted, did a test for my class and I feel confident about my grade, and now I'm cheerfully waiting for election results by playing Broforce, KeeperRL, and contemplating picking up LiEat and the dollar tier of that new humble bundle.

I'm thinking I'll treat myself to more games once I'm sure Hilldawg is going to win! :D

Broforce is fun, idk what KeeperRL is, but LiEat is something I want to pick up when it is super super cheap so I'm hoping to see it cheap during the steam holiday sales.

Hill is totes gonna win and I'm gonna be so glad when the election is over.

CJacobs posted:

Hello. I'm doing alright, I got a dialogue system working in my game without looking up any tutorials or whathaveyou, which was a nice surprise.

Now I can make NPCs be as rude to the player as I want. See also: the beating up skeletons post on the last page.

Nice done! Congrats! :) What kind of game is it supposed to be? I tried modding some games once but I just can't wrap my head around programming stuff unfortunately. I was trying to mod Don't Starve to put in an anime character my fiancee likes as a bday gift for her a couple years back but it never progressed anywhere past "I downloaded this tutorial and was able to change some graphics and have no idea what to do next" :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Nice done! Congrats! :) What kind of game is it supposed to be? I tried modding some games once but I just can't wrap my head around programming stuff unfortunately. I was trying to mod Don't Starve to put in an anime character my fiancee likes as a bday gift for her a couple years back but it never progressed anywhere past "I downloaded this tutorial and was able to change some graphics and have no idea what to do next" :(

Thanks! Here's my running explanation:

CJacobs posted:

Well, the idea behind the game is that it's halfway between a dungeon crawler and an idle game. I was playing an idle game and I noticed that every one of them has a bunch of downtime where you're just waiting for resources to pile up to buy the next thing, so even if you want to play it actively, you can't. So I decided that for my game the 'thing' you are progressing by idling is your main character, so if you want to keep playing and making progress/earning exp and gold and whathaveyou, you can.

The main screen is the dungeon crawler, but there's also a bunch of buttons along the bottom (eventually it'll be a list you can scroll) to improve the raw idling if you want to spend your money on that instead.

Generally speaking, it's a dungeon crawler with idle game elements, something I don't think many people have done before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMWwqwRggQ

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone have thoughts on the new MOO? Is it poo poo or maybe worth the $18 or whatever it's at on GoG right now.

Paging SirTagz.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I now genuinely believe that Rez is the greatest piece of art the 21st century has produced so far.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Thanks! Here's my running explanation:

Generally speaking, it's a dungeon crawler with idle game elements, something I don't think many people have done before.

Sounds neat, but won't the two extremes nullify one another? I mean, if someone is looking to play an idle game, I've usually seen them play them and clicker games for the easy gameplay that they don't have to think about, but it sounds like you want there to be more complex gameplay to go along with the idle parts. I dunno, I'm probably just misinterpreting you or something.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm enjoying HBee's Bloodborne analysis so far, but I find comparing Ocarina to Dark Souls to be incredibly silly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds neat, but won't the two extremes nullify one another? I mean, if someone is looking to play an idle game, I've usually seen them play them and clicker games for the easy gameplay that they don't have to think about, but it sounds like you want there to be more complex gameplay to go along with the idle parts. I dunno, I'm probably just misinterpreting you or something.

Nah, you're right, it's something I've been considering while drawing up the design document. The hard part will be finding the right balance between allowing the player to make significant progress by just playing the idle game side (if that's what they want to do), without making the dungeon side super easy. I'm still coming up with ideas on how to do that properly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

Broforce is fun, idk what KeeperRL is, but LiEat is something I want to pick up when it is super super cheap so I'm hoping to see it cheap during the steam holiday sales.

KeeperRL - I did a rambling review for it, and I like it, but the tl;dr is that it's a Dungeon Keeper + Dwarf Fortress-lite that scratches all of my itches. It's very early access and janky in some ways, but the core gameplay of building your base and watching cave bears ramble around killing kobolds it legit. One time a dragon attacked my base and got wrecked with a dragon and I'm still happy about that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, to elaborate on FirstAidKite's concern, here's what I have planned for both sides of the game:

The idle game: The player earns EXP and coins every second or two as a bar in the top left fills up (you can see it in the gifs I posted). With EXP, the player levels up, which unlocks new idle game upgrades (make the bar go faster, earn more EXP when it fills up etc) that are bought with coins. In addition, the player gets a small boost to their EXP gain speed when they're in their house at the town instead of the dungeon. This is where the idle game side really comes in- the player can buy a bunch of different upgrades for their house with coins that change its appearance, the bonuses you get from stopping by there, and how many coins you earn when the bar fills up. Generally the house improvement is cosmetic stuff, but you can unlock unique equipment for upgrading stuff around the house to max.

The dungeon crawler: The dungeon is where the main gameplay is. Presented as a side-scroller, the player earns EXP and coins from defeating monsters. Each floor of the dungeon gets progressively more difficult, but with better rewards. The goal is to reach the bottom for phat loot or something. On this side of the game, the player's EXP level affects the supplies they can purchase from the blacksmith in town with coins. Generally, it's faster to gain EXP and coins by beating up monsters than just idling until the house has significant upgrades. The player's level also gives them a boost or detriment to damage dealt, depending on what floor they're on- this is how I plan on gating the game's progress by the player's level, but never in a way that requires the player to resort to sitting in the house doing nothing unless that's what they want to do.

Thoughts? Opinions?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 9, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Broforce: what sadistic urges induced the devs to make an entire mission where you're forced to use MacBrover. :argh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that mission...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

I don't remember that mission...

It's one of the Covert Ops where you go through a single map as one bro. It's awful, but I finally cleared it. Take THAT, terrorist scum!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh... I didnt do any of those, I guess? I only played coop.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hill is totes gonna win and I'm gonna be so glad when the election is over.

I thought this yesterday but man I'm starting to get real stressed out

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Looper posted:

I thought this yesterday but man I'm starting to get real stressed out

It's hard not to stress out about this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just remember that most news organizations will do everything they can to make it seem close.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Just remember that most news organizations will do everything they can to make it seem close.

Thank you. I'm going to turn off the news and the NY Times again and boot up a game for a while, let more polls close before I check back in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

This, and also that nothing is set in stone until it is officially reported tomorrow. So if it really does end up being that close, don't believe what you read one way or another unless it's a 100% bona-fide official statement.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Honestly the fact that it's even close at all is upsetting, but then again the fact that one of our major candidates is Donald J. Trump is upsetting enough on its own

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm stressed out too, and I'm Canadian.

On the plus side it'll be one more thing for me to be unfairly smug about, but on the other hand Jesus gently caress :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
strongly considering buying saints row 4 this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looper posted:

strongly considering buying saints row 4 this weekend

Now that is a cool game. I'm afraid I got addicted to remaking my boss every hour or so, though, because there are so many funny clothes in the game.

• Locked thread