Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
For all you Heartwatch users out there, are you consistently killing your exercise minutes? I get the feeling that it gets your heartrate by pretending to be a workout, which is why I often get 90 minutes of exercise, even if all I did was cycle to and from work for 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LPG Giant posted:

For all you Heartwatch users out there, are you consistently killing your exercise minutes? I get the feeling that it gets your heartrate by pretending to be a workout, which is why I often get 90 minutes of exercise, even if all I did was cycle to and from work for 5 minutes.
It doesn't do that for me, but I only used HeartWatch for the complication (i.e. I never really interacted with the app).

A semi-related point, after a few weeks of half rear end experimenting, I'm pretty sure either HeartWatch or Cardiogram has a significant drain on both my watch and phone battery, even if only used for the complication. I'm leaning toward it being Cardiogram, but since both suck as a complication I've just abandoned them both on the watch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Musta been an overnight crash by the way... last night my watch was off-wrist but uncharged and was not powered off when I put it in this AM.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

I actually tried the turn-by-turn GPS stuff last night without really meaning to. I started paying attention to the timing of the haptic feedback after a few turns; to me, it's like a "put your turn signal on right about now" notification. I could see it not being early enough if you aren't anticipating an upcoming turn, but I tend to glance at my (phone's) screen to get an idea of how close an upcoming turn is.

Didn't realize it distinguished the turn direction in the feedback, though... I didn't notice. How's that work? Hopefully it's not silly like left = X pings, right = X+1 pings... because that seems like too much trouble to pay attention to.
Not completely sure but if it matches the sound feedback I think it's three pairs of taps, with each pair being a stronger then weaker tap for left, or weaker then stronger for right. The sounds are like tick tock for left and tock tick for right, sounds kinda like the signal sounds in a car.

Or maybe it's all the other way around :iiam:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
42mm S2.

Usage: 6h 7m
Standby: 2d 7h

16% battery remaining

Not bad at all...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

japtor posted:

Not completely sure but if it matches the sound feedback I think it's three pairs of taps, with each pair being a stronger then weaker tap for left, or weaker then stronger for right. The sounds are like tick tock for left and tock tick for right, sounds kinda like the signal sounds in a car.

Or maybe it's all the other way around :iiam:

Its different than that, though I don't remember which one is which.

One is like a heartbeat, tap-tap... tap-tap... tap-tap
The other is rapid tapping, tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap

Pretty useful

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a way to change the color of the notification dot or do I just have to avoid using photos with warmer colors?

It's weird because on the iPhone I think the time changes black or white depending on your lock screen's wallpaper

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think so but I don't use the photo face

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I will bite, I'm interested in sleep tracking. Is there a way to do it natively or have to use an app? Hoping that the twenty minutes or so it ready in the morning is enough to chug along throughout the week. I do workout 3-4 times a week so i may get lower usage than y'all but am really surprised by this voodoo battery life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no native sleep tracking since Apple expects you to dock it at night but there's plenty of apps for it. It only really needs like one hour if charging total per day so you should be fine

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

There's no native sleep tracking since Apple expects you to dock it at night but there's plenty of apps for it. It only really needs like one hour if charging total per day so you should be fine

Thanks, I picked up Sleep++ and trying that out. Seems to work pretty well.

I'm looking at some third-party activity tracking apps (Under Armour Record for a start) and am curious as to how much it interacts with the built in Activity app.

- I see the UA app can use the built-in HRM, but not the GPS. That's a restriction for all third party apps, yes?
- How will it behave when I complete a workout. Will it funnel all the important data to the activity app and notify my shared contacts? I have a bit of a challenge going with a friend so we like to see eachothers workouts/etc. Would I lose that capability?
- If it doesn't send the data to the activity app for alerting others, will the activity app pull on the data it records to calculate the calorie totals and other activity goals?

Appreciate any insights!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can I charge my watch with an inductive hotplate?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So does the watch not sync with iMessage on my phone or what? I've got messages on my watch that aren't on the phone. No clue why it's happening :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So does the watch not sync with iMessage on my phone or what? I've got messages on my watch that aren't on the phone. No clue why it's happening :(

It does not. So make sure you delete those sexts from your watch as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It does not. So make sure you delete those sexts from your watch as well.

:wink:

Bummer but oh well.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
That seems so weird it doesn't sync. Do messages originally viewed on the watch show up on your iPhone?

Edit: Yes, because they're pushed to the watch from the phone, duh! Can you tell I don't have an Apple Watch? I don't.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 9, 2016

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Sometimes they show up on the watch but not on the phone. Happened to me once. Very weird but eh.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Anyone know how to stop my watch from telling me to get up and walk around while I'm sleeping? Every night that I've worn it, it's pinged me at 4:50am - "Almost there! Just walk around a bit!". My alarm is set for 5:15am. It doesn't do it at 3:50 or 2:50am, only at 4:50. Weird and annoying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bilperkins2 posted:

Anyone know how to stop my watch from telling me to get up and walk around while I'm sleeping? Every night that I've worn it, it's pinged me at 4:50am - "Almost there! Just walk around a bit!". My alarm is set for 5:15am. It doesn't do it at 3:50 or 2:50am, only at 4:50. Weird and annoying.

Swipe up from the clock face and press the Do Not Disturb "moon" icon.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Yeah but then I gotta remember to do that every night and then undo it in the morning. Why does it not do it at 3:50 and earlier but starts at 4:50? Seems like there's a start time somewhere, maybe that's tunable.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah but then I gotta remember to do that every night and then undo it in the morning. Why does it not do it at 3:50 and earlier but starts at 4:50? Seems like there's a start time somewhere, maybe that's tunable.

Do you have DND set up on your phone?

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I recently bought an iPhone 7 Plus after using Android for a few years, and I've been loving it so much that I replaced my daily watch (a running watch with smart notifications, nothing special - I'm still going to use it when I run) with an Apple Watch Series 1. I think I've finally started getting used to it and it's pretty neat. Can you guys recommend some essential apps or things I should be doing with it to use it to its potential?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I like the activity rings a lot. What does your fitness watch do that the AW can't?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

oversteps posted:

Can you guys recommend some essential apps or things I should be doing with it to use it to its potential?

To be honest I haven't found a single app on the watch that I ended up using. At least for now it just seems like a different kind of device, where pretty much only the stuff that's built in is the stuff I use. I'd actually remove some things if I could.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I like the activity rings a lot. What does your fitness watch do that the AW can't?

Can the Apple Watch do interval timing, and tell you when you are off pace?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is the space black stainless steel watch more durable than the regular stainless steel due to its coating? If so, how much more durable?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Agronox posted:

To be honest I haven't found a single app on the watch that I ended up using. At least for now it just seems like a different kind of device, where pretty much only the stuff that's built in is the stuff I use. I'd actually remove some things if I could.

I tend to use the built-in Now Playing, Home, Messages apps and Downcast and Messenger 3rd party apps. Oh, and the Dark Sky complication on my watch face for temp and upcoming precipitation,

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

fordan posted:

I tend to use the built-in Now Playing, Home, Messages apps and Downcast and Messenger 3rd party apps. Oh, and the Dark Sky complication on my watch face for temp and upcoming precipitation,

Now Playing is really useful. Messages and FB messenger are both decent, and I'm giving the activity app a solid go. In Australia, NextThere is a great public transport app with a complication to tell you when your next train or bus will depart. I also love having Siri on my wrist for setting timers.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Finally convinced myself that I "need" an apple watch for fitness tracking, go into a store and everything is out of stock. Guess I have 3 weeks to bounce between the sport and stainless steel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Finally convinced myself that I "need" an apple watch for fitness tracking, go into a store and everything is out of stock. Guess I have 3 weeks to bounce between the sport and stainless steel.

Did you try them on? Beyond price, I found the stainless steel one to be heavier on my wrist, which I didn't like. And if you're main thing is fitness, that can be a factor.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sport is best, no one cares what your wrist computer is made of. Get a sick band and your gtg[good to go]

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

Is the space black stainless steel watch more durable than the regular stainless steel due to its coating? If so, how much more durable?

I used to have a regular SS S0, it held up pretty great but it did have some scratches, nothing out of the ordinary for a standard 316L SS device thats constantly in use.

I got the SB SS S2 about 2 weeks ago and its still 100% flawless as the day it was unpacked and I really couldn't be happier. The space black coating looks incredible and unlike anything else you've ever seen, the Jet Black iPhone7 doesn't even begin to compare. The space black coating is mirror finish in a way that kind of looks illuminated, whereas the Jet Black iPhone7 coating is just kind of shiny. The overall color and shine level of the space black coating blends in almost perfectly to the sapphire screen and gives a very continuous look which I think is really fantastic.

What I have heard from people who had an SB SS S0 was that the coating is pretty much as tough as the sapphire screen. It is very, very difficult to scratch, and when it does scratch it scratches down to the SS underneath, which you can't polish out, so that is kind of a downside. However, I have heard from plenty of people who had S0s that never got scratched which renders them looking essentially as flawless as the day they came out of the packaging. My S0 sapphire screen was completely flawless when I sold it so I felt like I would probably have a similar experience with the SB body.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 13, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My S1 is less than a month old and it's already got a few scratches on the face due to banging my arm against a door frame. Seems that the S1 is definitely easier to scratch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

oversteps posted:

I recently bought an iPhone 7 Plus after using Android for a few years, and I've been loving it so much that I replaced my daily watch (a running watch with smart notifications, nothing special - I'm still going to use it when I run) with an Apple Watch Series 1. I think I've finally started getting used to it and it's pretty neat. Can you guys recommend some essential apps or things I should be doing with it to use it to its potential?
If you have two factor logins everywhere find a two factor authentication app. I use Authy cause I've had it on my phone for a while...but don't really like that it only shows one code at a time, vs (from screenshots I've seen of) others that just show a list of the sites and codes on a single screen. That would save me a tap on launch, not a huge deal but still a little annoyance.

Third party wise the only other ones I use are Messenger cause some people on there, and Heartwatch, but I mostly only use that on my phone. I think even moreso on the watch than the phone there's gonna be really specific things that are more useful for some than others.

rage-saq posted:

I used to have a regular SS S0, it held up pretty great but it did have some scratches, nothing out of the ordinary for a standard 316L SS device thats constantly in use.

I got the SB SS S2 about 2 weeks ago and its still 100% flawless as the day it was unpacked and I really couldn't be happier. The space black coating looks incredible and unlike anything else you've ever seen, the Jet Black iPhone7 doesn't even begin to compare. The space black coating is mirror finish in a way that kind of looks illuminated, whereas the Jet Black iPhone7 coating is just kind of shiny. The overall color and shine level of the space black coating blends in almost perfectly to the sapphire screen and gives a very continuous look which I think is really fantastic.

What I have heard from people who had an SB SS S0 was that the coating is pretty much as tough as the sapphire screen. It is very, very difficult to scratch, and when it does scratch it scratches down to the SS underneath, which you can't polish out, so that is kind of a downside. However, I have heard from plenty of people who had S0s that never got scratched which renders them looking essentially as flawless as the day they came out of the packaging. My S0 sapphire screen was completely flawless when I sold it so I felt like I would probably have a similar experience with the SB body.
:yeah:

I've had mine for over a year now (well two if you count a warranty exchange for water killing the speaker) and it was flawless. I did eventually scratch the poo poo out of it while taking up rock climbing where some poor technique (using my wrists more than hands/fingers) had me grinding the top edge along the wall, which also left a lighter scratch on the sapphire. I wouldn't worry about it except very specific uses like this, in which case I'd just get a cheapo case for climbing. (I haven't, but I haven't ground it against the wall much since either, whether cause subconscious paranoia or just getting better at climbing I dunno)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks guys, I got the space black. It's really great.

I have a lot of the bands so I gave them a spin on this model. So far I like the most: red classic buckle, milanese loop, black link bracelet. The brown leather classic buckle is pretty cool but maybe a little boring.

The one style of band I feel is incompatible with the SS black is the leather loop. This watch is a bit too formal for them, but they look great on the sport edition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That doesn't matter since you shouldn't be wearing an Apple Watch to anything remotely formal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

That doesn't matter since you shouldn't be wearing an Apple Watch to anything remotely formal.

LOL at this.

At anything formal your watch will be covered up. Hell my shirts are made with extra room in the left cuff for a watch.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

LOL at this.

At anything formal your watch will be covered up. Hell my shirts are made with extra room in the left cuff for a watch.

He wasn't wrong, do you never leave the basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

He wasn't wrong, do you never leave the basement?

At a formal event no one can see my watch. So no one gives a poo poo if I'm wearing one.

• Locked thread