Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol every model has the same projection except for upshot and maine cd-2

ME CD-2 looks hella safe and has been for a month, don't know why it keeps popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

ME CD-2 looks hella safe and has been for a month, don't know why it keeps popping up.

Because there hasn't been much quality polling there over the past month, and the few recent polls showed it seemingly switching from strong Republican to weak Democrat. It's one of the few toss-up electoral markets on PredictIt, and is probably going to be an early bellwether vote to see how good the polls were for this cycle.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's almost like they all use the exact same data or something

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's almost like they all use the exact same data or something

untrue

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

In addition to what Discospawn said, it's as demographically favorable to Trump as any solid blue location, and because of the absence of polling data saying otherwise, it likely represents Trump's best chance to pull off an "upset" somewhere on Clinton's map. There's also a scenario where it literally delivers the presidency to Trump:

I don't think that scenario is gonna happen, but that's why it's getting way more attention than some of Trump's other longshots.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Azathoth posted:

In addition to what Discospawn said, it's as demographically favorable to Trump as any solid blue location, and because of the absence of polling data saying otherwise, it likely represents Trump's best chance to pull off an "upset" somewhere on Clinton's map. There's also a scenario where it literally delivers the presidency to Trump:

I don't think that scenario is gonna happen, but that's why it's getting way more attention than some of Trump's other longshots.

I mean, that map is pretty much the most reasonable path to a Trump victory. He has next to no chance in PA, and that map has him winning all reasonable toss ups (NH/NC/FL/MA2/NV)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, that map is pretty much the most reasonable path to a Trump victory. He has next to no chance in PA, and that map has him winning all reasonable toss ups (NH/NC/FL/MA2/NV)

Isn't NV already lost for him due to crazy amounts of early voting?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Isn't NV already lost for him due to crazy amounts of early voting?

in theory, yes. But we don't really know for sure. We can only make assumptions about who those early voters voted for based on demographics, and if those assumptions are true then he is pretty boned, but not completely boned.

Regardless, things look really, really bad for Trump, and I am more bullish on him than most people.

He needs to either swing Michigan/Pennsylvania/Virginia in his favor, which would require some massive polling error in his favor, or win literally every swing state, which would require a much smaller polling error. We already know for early voting that the demographics do not favor trump in FL or NV, which could spell doom for him.

We also know that polls tend to underrepresent minority votes, which means any error is most likely going to be in favor of Abuela. His path to 270 still exists, it just stinks like doo-doo.

Paul Zuvella has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Nov 8, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Which means Nate can't be the most accurate, only the least inaccurate. Only way he can be ahead in Brier scores or whatever other metric now is if the states where he was less certain go to the underdog.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

joepinetree posted:

Which means Nate can't be the most accurate, only the least inaccurate. Only way he can be ahead in Brier scores or whatever other metric now is if the states where he was less certain go to the underdog.

You could go by projected vote percentage and see how well everyone stays in their confidence intervals. If Nate has been way to conservative this year, it should show up that he got every state in his 50% CI range, instead of only half. We did that for offshore exploration projects and it was hilarious how much people would sandbag success probabilities to not look bad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Paul Zuvella posted:

in theory, yes. But we don't really know for sure. We can only make assumptions about who those early voters voted for based on demographics, and if those assumptions are true then he is pretty boned, but not completely boned.

Regardless, things look really, really bad for Trump, and I am more bullish on him than most people.

He needs to either swing Michigan/Pennsylvania/Virginia in his favor, which would require some massive polling error in his favor, or win literally every swing state, which would require a much smaller polling error. We already know for early voting that the demographics do not favor trump in FL or NV, which could spell doom for him.

We also know that polls tend to underrepresent minority votes, which means any error is most likely going to be in favor of Abuela. His path to 270 still exists, it just stinks like doo-doo.

Nevada's gone and so are his chances. :lol:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

If NH is a toss-up then so are Ohio and Iowa.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

If NH is a toss-up then so are Ohio and Iowa.

I'm inclined to agree with on principle alone, but NH is white as gently caress and imo more likely to sway towards trump than IA and OH are to sway towards Hilary.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Looks like Nate Silver is being vindicated once again.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

At the very least, Huffington Post's 98% prediction looks dumb as poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I took back everything I said about Nate Silver, he is 100% right about everything.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/796177129343975424

NAAATE

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It's pretty funny that all the 95+% news organizations are shook down to toss up territory so now dems are flock back into the warm embrace of Nate's 73%.

73% is still pretty drat high really.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Why is Michigan going red?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So are shy Trumpsters really a thing?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

So are shy Trumpsters really a thing?

No, close states are close. Trump didn't immediately crumble the second returns started coming in so now the rest of the media is shook. For people who have been worried about the lack of uncertainty in some of the other models this is exactly as it should be. This is exactly what a +4% sub 50% popular vote win looks like.

When Hillary wins with ~300 EV's it's going to be hilarious when everybody forgets there was 2-3 hours where everyone stopped making GBS threads on Nate Silver and then they'll go back to making GBS threads on him.

edit because 270-to-win is poo poo: If Hillary gets the states she's >70% likely to win she only needs a single one of the swing states that are too close to call to push her over 270. This is why they are called swing states, lol.

ErIog has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Nov 9, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I take it back, Nate. I take it all back.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lotta folks owe Nate an apology.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nate Silver is a chubby, stuttering god

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

dwarf74 posted:

I take it back, Nate. I take it all back.

Vox Nihili posted:

Lotta folks owe Nate an apology.

Fuligin posted:

Nate Silver is a chubby, stuttering god

I don't understand. What happened?

ChristopherRobin has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Nov 9, 2016

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ChristopherRobin posted:

I don't understand. What happened?

Exactly what Nate said there was about a 30% chance of happening, a massive polling miss in Trumps favour. And literally everyone mocked him for saying it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CottonWolf posted:

Exactly what Nate said there was about a 30% chance of happening, a massive polling miss in Trumps favour. And literally everyone mocked him for saying it.
He was right, he was right. God drat it, he was right.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ErIog posted:

No, close states are close. Trump didn't immediately crumble the second returns started coming in so now the rest of the media is shook. For people who have been worried about the lack of uncertainty in some of the other models this is exactly as it should be. This is exactly what a +4% sub 50% popular vote win looks like.

When Hillary wins with ~300 EV's it's going to be hilarious when everybody forgets there was 2-3 hours where everyone stopped making GBS threads on Nate Silver and then they'll go back to making GBS threads on him.

edit because 270-to-win is poo poo: If Hillary gets the states she's >70% likely to win she only needs a single one of the swing states that are too close to call to push her over 270. This is why they are called swing states, lol.

Lmbo

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Yeah, feeling less good about that, but if she can pull through with a few coin flips in the swing states that were still too close to call but she also needs to pick up NV and AZ for that to work.

So yeah, I'm pretty shook.

ErIog has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Nov 9, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Wisconsin going red would be a major embarrassment for a lot of people

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

It looks like...the LAT/USC Poll was right all along...

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Man Musk posted:

That'd require HRC losing the popular vote...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nate Silver was the least wrong

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Huh, I guess 30% of the time things can happen 100% of the time after all

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dmitri-9 posted:

It seems to me the Democrats completely neglected defending on the map and took too many votes for granted.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You must be feeling a bunch of fools right now :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
e: wrong thread

frankenfreak has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Nov 9, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

well its Happening

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Man Musk posted:

no the IBD/TIPP poll was right... LA Times had Trump up +7, he's gonna win by 2-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

computer parts posted:

Those two events aren't related. They're not the same people, it's not the same time frame, and they aren't even the same group that's being drawn from.

The only similarities are a vague sequence of events - running in a presidential race, and involving polls. Which is a bit like expecting a random black dude to beat a murder rap because hey, Zimmerman did it!
Hahahaha. yeah, for one thing it turns out Trump can overperform his polls by an even larger margin than Obama did.

My one saving grace tonight is that I get to watch Sam Wang eat a bug.

• Locked thread