Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
For a fat minute BvS would auto-correct to Beavis, so with the higher proportion of folks liking Zack Snyder movies on these forums, it was inevitable that it was gonna catch on as a cult-term of endearment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked Dr. Strange. My wife felt that Benedict Cumberbatch should really not do the quips, he sounds like he's just reciting them. Whereas RDJ sells that he's just spontaneously riffing them off.

I get that. I thought he was fine, and did a perfectly good job. But I couldn't get behind him as that character for no rational reason at all...he's 100% right for the role in some academic sense, but he didn't have some amorphous quality that I can't identify. I'm being completely capricious about it. I can't really unpack why.

Pretty much every *other* character was phenomenally cast, though. Chiwetel Ejiofer is just goddamn amazing in everything. Mads Mikkelson is, too. Benedict Wong kills it as Kublai Khan and was fun in this. And despite people's whitewashing complaints about Tilda Swinton, I loving loved her in it. Maybe that's why...Cumberbatch was perfectly sufficient while the other characters were really interesting choices.

After the shitstorm people raised about Swinton, though, I'm eagerly awaiting the chaos of trying to do Brother Voodoo. "Haitian voodoo sorcerer" seems like even more of a minefield than "Fu Manchu stereotype."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

K. Waste posted:

For a fat minute BvS would auto-correct to Beavis, so with the higher proportion of folks liking Zack Snyder movies on these forums, it was inevitable that it was gonna catch on as a cult-term of endearment.

It didn't.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TetsuoTW posted:

It didn't.
Sure it did, as much as a nickname for a movie could become a thing around here.

[whispering to date while watching Batman V Superman when Batman first appears on the screen] That's Beavis.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xealot posted:

After the shitstorm people raised about Swinton, though, I'm eagerly awaiting the chaos of trying to do Brother Voodoo. "Haitian voodoo sorcerer" seems like even more of a minefield than "Fu Manchu stereotype."

Constantine did it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Papa Midnight was pretty awesome.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

greatn posted:

Yeah Papa Midnight was pretty awesome.

Accurate, but way fewer people gave a gently caress about Constantine...especially the TV show since nobody saw it. (Matt Ryan was the poo poo, though.)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Papa Midnight in the movie wasn't all that Voodoo, he didn't even wear a white top hat!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jericho Drumm is a very superhero sounding name so they don't have to call him Brother/Doctor Voodoo if they don't want to. But they can give him a different type of magic as opposed to what Strange and crew use, which would be cool to see.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the only people who raised a shitstorm about tilda swinton were some pearly white nobodies on the internet. Most people did not care including asians

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

the only people who raised a shitstorm about tilda swinton were some pearly white nobodies on the internet. Most people did not care including asians
I mean there was some justified "come on, really?" about it, but yeah def. not a shitstorm from anyone but overly invested wannabe allies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Universal is making a live-action Voltron movie written by David Hayter for an early 2018 release.

I suspect this will actually hinge on how well the new power rangers movie does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tilda Swinton is god and a shapeshifter, she can do anything. Critics be damned.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Tilda Swinton is god and a shapeshifter, she can do anything. Critics be damned.

I feel the same way about Heimdall. Yeah its anachronistic but you don't pass up putting Idris Elba in your movie. I need more Dark Tower information.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

All of this is most likely 100% true.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Batman, Manginiello talked a bit about it recently

https://player.fm/series/mark-madden-super-genius/joe-manganiello-joins-mark-madden-november-7-2016

Here's a transcription of the important bits

quote:

9:20
Joe: "I wound up not being able to play Superman because of my contract on True Blood."
Mark: "I heard about that. The Man of Steel Movie right?"
Joe: "Yeah, I wound up not being able to do the movie. But I'd created a relationship with the director and the studio that then came back around. And now once the show (True Blood) was over they came back for me and I'm going to go play the villain in the Batman movie that's going to start shooting sometime next year.
Mark: "That's Affleck's movie right?"
Joe: "That's right, yeah."
Mark: "That's going to be a wild one. I hear a lot of crazy things about that. Like a ton of villains."
Joe: "Ummm I cannot say and speak anything to that but i'm you know... except for... I'M going to play the villain in that one."
Mark: "Well I'm certainly looking forward to that."
-- 14:20 --
Mark: I gotta tell ya. I can't wait for the Affleck thing. Because Affleck's so interesting. How well do you know him? I mean like, I love the way he puts a different spin on stuff like- for example this Batman movie. I'm sure it will be different from any one ever done.
Joe: It is. That's true. When I met Ben we sat down and we talked about, you know, the role. We talked about the movie. His take is a fresh take but I think the audience is going to be surprised. Because it's a road that no one's really gone down that's completely integral to, you know, who Batman is. And I think it's gonna be refreshing but at the same time completely familiar. But it's going to take this franchise in a direction that I think A LOT of people are going to be really happy about.
It's going to be gritty and action packed and cerebral and all of those elements that people love about Batman. Ben's a great director, man. I mean the last movie that man directed won best picture. He's got an Oscar for writing. Like, this is all the components to go down as a... everything is lined up for a really really really great movie. Not only a superhero movie but just a great great movie. Which is why, you know, I told him in the room man, when I met him. "I should be so lucky, I'd be in great hands to work with you, I love your movies, let's do this."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I can't deny my own hype for Batfleck's solo movie, but every press blurb is just gushing about how great the Affleck vision will be and it makes me laugh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't deny my own hype for Batfleck's solo movie, but every press blurb is just gushing about how great the Affleck vision will be and it makes me laugh.

He's known for making good films, but DC is known for hiring real directors but then crippling them. Should be interesting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He's known for making good films, but DC is known for hiring real directors but then crippling them.

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman is pretty much Maximum Snyder. The Dark Knight Trilogy is very Nolan. so I'm not quite sure where they got this rep.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman is pretty much Maximum Snyder. The Dark Knight Trilogy is very Nolan. so I'm not quite sure where they got this rep.

They're Not MarvelTM

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, it's pretty obvious that they mucked around with Suicide Squad, but that's one movie. Prior to that they've always been very chill. Superman Returns is exactly what Singer wanted.

And I'm not sure Martin Campbell (Green Lantern) even has a style to infringe on.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I mean, it's pretty obvious that they mucked around with Suicide Squad, but that's one movie. Prior to that they've always been very chill. Superman Returns is exactly what Singer wanted.

And I'm not sure Martin Campbell (Green Lantern) even has a style to infringe on.

Did Green Lantern get messed with a ton? Was that a different studio?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Ultimate Edition feels more like Snyder's movie than the theatrical one, to be honest. I like the theatrical cut but it did feel like it was a movie that was missing scenes and the infamous Justice League montage sandwiched between two very dramatic scenes felt like meddling since it's the only edit that felt really out of place in the whole film.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Zzulu posted:

I recall the reaction was more like "Well, if they cast an Asian as a 'mystic one' people would bitch about it being an offensive stereotype" so it was kind of a lose/lose situation with Marvel.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Inhumans is still happening. Rumors that it is permanently canned are not true. It "will happen for sure." But won't commit to a release date.

The problem there was first Ant-Man got a sequel so the movie got pushed back THEN Disney green-lit Indiana Jones 5 something like a week before Inhumans was set for release. It got too crowded so Feige said they were putting it on the backburner for now. People thought it was cancelled (typical Internet nobodies not paying attention) when in reality Marvel is just trying to find a slot for it. They pretty much have to make it at this point because the Inhumans are very prominent in Agents of SHIELD and a big subplot right now is the Sokovia Accords raising hell on them in the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Justin Godscock posted:

They pretty much have to make it at this point because the Inhumans are very prominent in Agents of SHIELD and a big subplot right now is the Sokovia Accords raising hell on them in the show.

Haha. Oh yeah, they HAVE to if Agents of Shield is bringing them up. Hahahaha.

I think you could have easily made an Ancient One be asian if it were still written similarly to how the current one was. It would only be problematic if they made him old, wizened with a fu manchu and terrible accent. It was nice there was a (sorta) diverse community within the school, too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Drifter posted:

Haha. Oh yeah, they HAVE to if Agents of Shield is bringing them up. Hahahaha.

I think you could have easily made an Ancient One be asian if it were still written similarly to how the current one was. It would only be problematic if they made him old, wizened with a fu manchu and terrible accent. It was nice there was a (sorta) diverse community within the school, too.
I wasn't bothered by the choice and I love Tilda Swinton but I'm glad someone said it. People make this argument and it feels so bad faith to me. "Yeah it was either between Tilda Swinton and Pai Mei man, we can't even conceive of casting an Asian in the role without making it a racist caricature."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Justin Godscock posted:

I recall the reaction was more like "Well, if they cast an Asian as a 'mystic one' people would bitch about it being an offensive stereotype" so it was kind of a lose/lose situation with Marvel.

The problem there was first Ant-Man got a sequel so the movie got pushed back THEN Disney green-lit Indiana Jones 5 something like a week before Inhumans was set for release. It got too crowded so Feige said they were putting it on the backburner for now. People thought it was cancelled (typical Internet nobodies not paying attention) when in reality Marvel is just trying to find a slot for it. They pretty much have to make it at this point because the Inhumans are very prominent in Agents of SHIELD and a big subplot right now is the Sokovia Accords raising hell on them in the show.

Literally no one gives a poo poo about Agents of SHIELD

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Justin Godscock posted:

You're talking about 3+ years from now. Even if people gave a poo poo about Agents of SHIELD there's no guarantee that show would even be on by the time it came out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's also a big question as to whether the Sokovia Accords on the TV show are even the same thing as the ones in the movie, since they seem to be about very different things.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

There's also a big question as to whether the Sokovia Accords on the TV show are even the same thing as the ones in the movie, since they seem to be about very different things.

They pretty clearly aren't, the show treats it like mutant registration/SHRA while the movie was just like "extraordinarily powerful transnational militia, please accept UN oversight?"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

It was a pretty thick book

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McSpanky posted:

They pretty clearly aren't, the show treats it like mutant registration/SHRA while the movie was just like "extraordinarily powerful transnational militia, please accept UN oversight?"

That was exactly what happened in the comics with civil war, the whole thing had totally different rules going on from issue to issue and it was just a mess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that Bryan Singer is officially done with the X-Men series, and Simon Kinberg is leading the effort to basically do a soft reboot of the franchise (isn't that what Days of Future Past and Apocalypse were supposed to be?), with everything hinging on whether or not they can get the trio of McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence signed to new deals. If they can't, they're going to look at things like New Mutants and X-Force.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Just start over. A movie with the original five against Magneto and the Brotherhood. Throw Havok and Polaris in there, maybe, or retool the plotline with Magneto forcing powers onto someone innocuous like Mimic. Stinger with Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. It writes itself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A series of Exiles movies where the cast is based entirely off what actors are willing to reprise their roles for less money

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Great, replace one hack with another. At least Singer only hosed up one franchise.

It's ridiculous that they wouldn't just being in a new creative team from scratch.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
They seem to throw everything into the fire when an X-Men film isn't 'good.' The cast literally does not matter. Another reboot with another Cyclops/Jean/Storm/X/Mystique/etc etc will always be a constant apparently.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They should use this thing for a new X-men movie, it is like a script and storyboard all in one, and it even has little drawings of what the costumes should look like.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They should use this thing for a new X-men movie, it is like a script and storyboard all in one, and it even has little drawings of what the costumes should look like.

They have been doing that since 2000 except for the bad costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Great, replace one hack with another.

Well, Kinberg's been Fox's point man for its Marvel licenses for a few years, now.

• Locked thread