Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, I got that. Some of the replies in this thread seemed to imply they thought Coudenhove-Kalergi was describing a bad scenario.

Good for you. The other one clearly didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

They're probably fakeposts. Funny if true, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

They're probably fakeposts. Funny if true, though.

Yeah I realize, though i totally believe that last one with the guy too embarrassed to do anything about it, it seems like a Curb Your Enthusiasm sketch :v:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's totally believable to me that there are people completely devoted to Trump worship who are ignorant of the most basic details about the political process. I guarantee you there are people that stupid out there.

*that video is amazing. I would probably hit up her patreon if she wasn't a Trumpy.

uber_stoat has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Nov 9, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From the alt-right thread:

A video by an alt-right animator. It's probably actual genius.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
If Trump actually wins this, the alt-right is going to be super insufferable, aren't they?

Though I suppose that will be the least of our worries. :smithicide:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

If Trump actually wins this, the alt-right is going to be super insufferable, aren't they?

Though I suppose that will be the least of our worries. :smithicide:

They're already super insufferable. Except now they're going to feel empowered.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They are empowered.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They're already super insufferable. Except now they're going to feel empowered.

Not just feel empowered but literally be in power, having a sympathetic ear in the highest office of the country. We are beyond hosed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Not just feel empowered but literally be in power, having a sympathetic ear in the highest office of the country. We are beyond hosed.

71 years later the Nazis took over the White House. Heil Hydre, Captain America: Winter Soldier, it turns out it was not just relevant, but prophetic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect the pendulum will swing back sooner than you'd think but boy are they gonna be insufferable in the meantime.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looking forward to their dismay and disappointment when Trump ends up governing like your bog-standard lovely right wing republican, just more vocally racist.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

He's incapable of governing, a committee of reactionary political and military leaders will assume the responsibilities in his name. It will be a lot worse than a standard lovely Republican, this will be a bunch of unelected, unaccountable oligarchs controlling the executive branch directly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I mean it's not like he was ever right before

Why start now?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

He's incapable of governing, a committee of reactionary political and military leaders will assume the responsibilities in his name. It will be a lot worse than a standard lovely Republican, this will be a bunch of unelected, unaccountable oligarchs controlling the executive branch directly.

a cynical person would say we already had a guy like that recently and he served 2 terms. I wonder where the next war will take place.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

uber_stoat posted:

a cynical person would say we already had a guy like that recently and he served 2 terms. I wonder where the next war will take place.

Iran.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean it's not like he was ever right before

Why start now?

He has issued a correction https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/11/when-trump-loses.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nessus posted:

I suspect the pendulum will swing back sooner than you'd think but boy are they gonna be insufferable in the meantime.

After Brexit hate crimes went up by 41%. I expect it to be significantly worse than that in the states.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The thing is, their whole shtick is being anti-establishment. How are they going to handle the fact that now they ARE the establishment?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

pookel posted:

The thing is, their whole shtick is being anti-establishment. How are they going to handle the fact that now they ARE the establishment?
Order new shirts and start making lists, or acting on the many, many lists they've been preparing for years. Who knows!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I was thinking "realize that running a country takes actual work, and now you can't simply get away with bitching about how bad the establishment is - you have to come up with alternatives. And when your guy fucks up, everyone else blames you."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

I was thinking "realize that running a country takes actual work, and now you can't simply get away with bitching about how bad the establishment is - you have to come up with alternatives. And when your guy fucks up, everyone else blames you."

The "alternatives" are, as always, scapegoats. "Cutting taxes on the rich didn't work because all the dirty immigrants stole the money!" "Your healthcare is even more in the garbage because of residual effects of Obamacare even though we totally repealed it!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Reminder that the party that nearly brought the country to financial apocalypse, established a permanent special committe on Benghazi purely to drag Hillary's poll numbers down, and who's obstructionism has led to the least productive Congress in history now has control of all 3 branches of government.

Republicans never face consequences for their actions. Literally never.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

1stGear posted:

Reminder that the party that nearly brought the country to financial apocalypse, established a permanent special committe on Benghazi purely to drag Hillary's poll numbers down, and who's obstructionism has led to the least productive Congress in history now has control of all 3 branches of government.

And South Park says I must meet them halfway. Cartman truly does get away with everything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

1stGear posted:

And the Democrats still fail to get the rural poor vote.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Terrible Opinions posted:

And the Democrats still fail to get the rural poor vote.

The repubs give the easy answer of blaming it on the foreigners.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

1stGear posted:

And a majority of state governments.

They can pass constitutional amendments.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

The repubs give the easy answer of blaming it on the foreigners.
I think it's more of a problem of the Democrats not giving an answer at all. The Republicans as a party of basically pure evil and hate should be really really easy to beat, but hey let's overtly refuse to consider the plight of people who live in different economic regions than our core voters.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it's more of a problem of the Democrats not giving an answer at all. The Republicans as a party of basically pure evil and hate should be really really easy to beat, but hey let's overtly refuse to consider the plight of people who live in different economic regions than our core voters.

The Worst Things for Sale guy captured this pretty well:
http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2016/05/07/america-is-already-great

quote:

This hat is symbolic of every pallid, limp response the Democrats have to the Republican Party. Instead of changing policy to benefit actual people, they make a Democrat hat to refute the Republican hat, equally false, and equally trivial. The Republicans are loving us with brooms, and the Democrats brag that they’ve worked hard to reduce broom-loving by ten percent over the past seven years. We eat hamburgers, or don’t eat hamburgers, for freedom, or to protest freedom. We are all helpless and want and need divine intervention but are only able to conjure men who declare themselves God because their father was rich. Every meaningful social movement is kneecapped by the hyper-wealthy, who laugh as our income declines in real terms, as it has for the past fifteen years.

Pick a side. Buy your hat. Argue with your neighbor over how often you want to be broom-hosed. America is exactly as great as you think it is, and will be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To be sure full on "Dark Enlightenment" types don't even want "a right wing President", they want a full on autocracy and a restoration of feudalism with themselves at the top somehow. They'll find new ways to be oppressed by The Cathedral despite a government tilted as far in their favor as possible.

Not to go all Godwin but I wonder if there were right wingers in actual fascist dictatorships saying "sure, the President is destroying all his enemies and leading us on a glorious crusade but that bitch Elsa still has me in the drat friendzone!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be sure full on "Dark Enlightenment" types don't even want "a right wing President", they want a full on autocracy and a restoration of feudalism with themselves at the top somehow. They'll find new ways to be oppressed by The Cathedral despite a government tilted as far in their favor as possible.

Not to go all Godwin but I wonder if there were right wingers in actual fascist dictatorships saying "sure, the President is destroying all his enemies and leading us on a glorious crusade but that bitch Elsa still has me in the drat friendzone!"

My ancap DE friend said something along the lines of "I just want a goddamn monarchy already come on, or at least something like Caesar" earlier today

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My ancap DE friend said something along the lines of "I just want a goddamn monarchy already come on, or at least something like Caesar" earlier today

Can you punch him in the face for me?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Caligula was something like Caesar. Seconding the face-punching request.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Unfortunately he lives in Europe and I do not :(

My response was basically "hm can't imagine what could go wrong with a modern dictator attempting to make an empire fashioned after the Romans :godwin:"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just remembered we got into an argument the other day because he thought the WWII Japanese internment camps were actually good and justified and "when you're at total war with a nation you're also at total war with an ethnicity."

Okay I think I'm gonna :sever:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
weirdly we were also at war with Germany and my German-speaking Pennsylvanian great-grandparents were not rounded up into camps

why are you friends with this person

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Update: ClarkHat still a shitbag

NOBODY HAS SAID THIS YOU WHINY INSECURE FUCKS. And also, they didn't hear anything. Republican voter turnout was lower than 2012.

:fuckoff:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

weirdly we were also at war with Germany and my German-speaking Pennsylvanian great-grandparents were not rounded up into camps

why are you friends with this person

Mutual other friends and mutual other interests :sigh:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Improbable Lobster posted:

After Brexit hate crimes went up by 41%. I expect it to be significantly worse than that in the states.

Oh don't worry, after a few months they went back to the "normal" rate

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah their neuroses are only going to get worse as their expectations continue to be unmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Chances Milo gets a job in the white house are too drat high.