Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think the actual takeaway for pollsters will be that modern polling is pretty decent at discerning the voting preferences of a set of people, but not particularly good at discerning which ones will actually turn out to vote. The place the pollsters blew it was on their likely voter screens, not their polling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

This is the best outcome because:

• 538's prediction was closer even though they included garbage polls for more clicks

• nobody's learned a damned thing so we get to do it again

• Hillary's still gonna win

• Sam Wang gonna eat a bug lmao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Mods please rename the last poster that said "Shook Nate" in this thread to SAM WANG EAT THE BUG

thanks and god bless

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

How?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I don't think I've posted in this thread before but holy gently caress Nate's going to be unbearable for the next four years or longer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

• 538's prediction was closer even though they included garbage polls for more clicks

• nobody's learned a damned thing so we get to do it again

• Sam Wang gonna eat a bug lmao

Except you know senate is lost

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If she wins PA and MI, it's 271 EVs. Trump has a tiny (2500 vote) lead in PA, and a less than 15000 vote lead in Mi (with 25% of precincts still left to report).

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Cockblocktopus posted:

I don't think I've posted in this thread before but holy gently caress Nate's going to be unbearable for the next four years or longer.

Ironically, right or wrong, no one will trust polls for at least the next decade. Or maybe they will since we just proved people are by and large loving idiots.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

By WI, NH, PA, NV and MI completing their vote tallies. Don't get me wrong though, it's going to be much closer than it should be.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Except you know senate is lost

It was looking hopeful for a while but I blame incumbency more than anything, poo poo's real. Can't say I'm looking forward to absolutely nothing happening the next four years but I get the feeling that's what we're gonna get.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fortaleza posted:

It was looking hopeful for a while but I blame incumbency more than anything, poo poo's real. Can't say I'm looking forward to absolutely nothing happening the next four years but I get the feeling that's what we're gonna get.
Considering the alternative, I have to say: go, gridlock, go!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/730251094614528000

How did he know this in May?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

poppingseagull posted:

Ironically, right or wrong, no one will trust polls for at least the next decade. Or maybe they will since we just proved people are by and large loving idiots.

Maybe they'll drop the poll chat altogether and we'll just get an hour of Harry Enten talking about diet soda and calling Nate Silver "Nathaniel" at every turn.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I was kinda hoping for a 50-50 split in the Senate so that Tim Kaine gets to, ya know, actually do something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We're the shook ones.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Fortaleza posted:

By WI, NH, PA, NV and MI completing their vote tallies. Don't get me wrong though, it's going to be much closer than it should be.

lol

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

I was kinda hoping for a 50-50 split in the Senate so that Tim Kaine gets to, ya know, actually do something.

I mean he's going to be a Senator for two more years then probably win re-election in an off-year election :shrug:

Plays his cards right and he could be the 2020 nominee.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Does this keep 538.com alive for another year (or more)?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Considering he was the only person to even consider the fact that there was a possible massive polling error, yes.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FMguru posted:

Does this keep 538.com alive for another year (or more)?

No.

1: ESPN's bleeding subscribers and needs to find any way to slash money. 538 and it's large staff costs a pretty penny and has very limited value outside of a presidential race. There was going to be heads rolling after this election no matter the outcome, it was just a matter of who and how many.

2: As much as Nate hedged his bets and jammed on the brakes as much as humanly possible, he still missed Trump in the primary, he still missed GodKing Trump in the election, he still missed states left and right (mostly right). When you've set the bar as high as he did, any falloff from that is going to be magnified.

3: Nate and the rest of the pollsters missing as badly as they did means the faith in them is severely reduced, if not gone. Nate can try and spin everything and claim it's bad data or bad polling or that he's trying to capture a tempest in a teapot, but it's his job to get the vote right and he missed. He can hope that he gets a pass since everyone whiffed, but it's not like the weatherman deal where you just have to bat reasonably well and not make any major mistakes and no one remembers the following week. Nate's paid to make money for Disney/ABC/ESPN, to do so he has to provide accurate information about the election, and he failed to do that.

There'll be a little bit of postmortem for 538 as there'll be plenty of articles to write about the election, but when the majority of them are "welp we hosed up," it's hard to justify keeping them around when their purpose and value are now severely reduced. Come 2017 there'll be either a severe reduction of staff and re-purposing of the site, or 538 will be shutdown outright. There's no purpose in keeping around a disgraced poll analyst. The staff will go on and do whatever, either for other sites or academia depending on how high their profile was. Nate probably disappears from public view for a while and either writes books or tries to solve some other issue with data, or he walks into Times Square and puts a gun in his mouth.

But 538 is dead and so is Nate Silver as a political pundit.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Fortaleza posted:

Is this the shrinking cornbob meme i keeping hearing about?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nate's disgraced in the eyes of idiots like you, maybe, but correctly calling out uncertainty is still important. PEC and Cohn have some deep explaining to do, and 538 might be downsized, but he should be fine.

If not polling, general data journalism will have an audience as we chronicle the full Trumponomics clusterfuck over the next few years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fangz posted:

Nate's disgraced in the eyes of idiots like you, maybe, but correctly calling out uncertainty is still important. PEC and Cohn have some deep explaining to do, and 538 might be downsized, but he should be fine.
Yeah, Nate certainly comes out of this better than the all other pollsters who were arguing whether Clinton had a 98% or 99% chance of winning.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sam Wang already got a bye for whiffing the 2004 result; no one's going to give him the time of day ever again.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I think 538 will live on, but possibly somewhere else. ESPN is trying to cut costs, but it is a part of the Disney empire, which means that they could be moved and downsized into the ABC political crew. By having the most uncertainty and most "accurate" forecast, they have a higher chance of survival than the people that had 90-95+% certainty at other orgs that didn't have their own names on it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Oil! posted:

I think 538 will live on, but possibly somewhere else. ESPN is trying to cut costs, but it is a part of the Disney empire, which means that they could be moved and downsized into the ABC political crew. By having the most uncertainty and most "accurate" forecast, they have a higher chance of survival than the people that had 90-95+% certainty at other orgs that didn't have their own names on it.

The Ringer should buy them and fold them into Keepin' it 1600. Let's complete the cycle.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/796228402554503168

The adjusted polls had a massive ~4% systematic bias in favour of Clinton across multiple states. Nate's assumption of +/-5% estimated uncertainty in national poll results was actually pretty reasonable, even if it badly smeared out his electoral college distribution. I'm a big dummy.

Nate was "correct" in that he understood that modern polls are garbage, and consistently propagated this assumption through his model. This was a massive systematic failure across the entire industry.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When is Sam Wang gonna eat that bug?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
not so shook

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The only guy who really nailed it was Scott Adams (Dilbert guy)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

General Dog posted:

i did not need to be reminded of that at this time

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Also, the IBD/TIPP tracking poll really is the most accurate poll ever!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

General Dog posted:

When is Sam Wang gonna eat that bug?
This is the most important question in the area of political augury after this night.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

God drat this polling warlock.

I denied him, and I was a fool.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Nate the least wrong forecaster. Meanwhile, economic fundamentals only models looking pretty, pretty good.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

Bill Mitchell correctly called the crucial Halloween mask metric.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shave nate silver's head

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

shave nate silver's head

from his body

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

General Dog posted:

My man

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

And conservativetreehouseman nailed it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So what I'm getting is that the Monster Vote was real.

• Locked thread