Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

neonbregna posted:

Someone doesn't like the old school feel to this game

It's amazing how little about computers has changed in the 26 years since Wing Commander if you just ignore/work around everything that's changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Backspace = full throttle AND blow up your own ship

:golfclap:

Buy one of those protected switches for self-destruct/ejection like in Steel Batallion so you don't accidentally blow yourself up, only $99.99!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The big thing I notice when it comes to deflection of criticism of the current state of Star Citizen is that every time someone brings up its faults and flaws someone simply brushes it off as "early days" problems and that progress is sure to be happening now it seems like they've ironed their kinks out. Yet if you look at what they've done and what they've shown I just can't see it. I mean poo poo, look at this laundry list of problems:

- After declaring they would be releasing Persistant Universe patches monthly, they've failed to actually meet that deadline even once.
- The tutorial for Star Citizen was so broken it took multiple updates to remove (not fix, remove) and still has nothing replacing it.
- After introducing a system for clothing it revealed their atmos system was a sham, and on top of that still haven't been able to prevent players from flying around space shooting air from their nipples.
- They still can't make ships spawn correctly.
- The game has sold ship concepts that are advertised as being crewed by a number of players larger than what the game can handle at present.
- Sometimes basic functions of the ship make it explode.
- Every new gameplay system that they've introduced that is supposed to show that the game is progressing towards its goals has been a threadbare bolt-on that does little to add depth to the experience.
- The two fundamental core gameplay elements of ship combat and person to person combat are dull, primitive and buggy. In an engine designed for FPS play they managed to make crosshairs not work. Ships control poorly and many systems related to ship weapons still don't work properly.
- The game has ships that allow multiple people to crew it but no systems that really justify doing so.
- In spite of attempts to speed up the atrocious animations, they still take too long and frequently don't work correctly in tandem with anything else.
- The patcher is still a murderous resource hog that downloads the entire game with every small change.

You can go on with that too (and quite frankly I will):
- The chat UI is still the same as it ever was in spite of Chris Roberts openly slagging it off live on air that one time.
- They couldn't even program a timer for their own testing feedback systems.
- They openly admitted once their crash reporter isn't reporting much more than "game crashed".
- A not-insignificant amount of people in leading positions have moved on to other companies at a staggered and staggering rate.
- Chris Roberts openly admitted in a recent interview with Kotaku UK that he makes unrealistic demands of his staff (often rudely) and puts the onus on them to spend months making an example to show him in how it doesn't work, with the justification that people told him he couldn't put certain systems in but they still managed it (as compared to how many that didn't, we'll never know and he'll likely never tell).
- They once claimed a staff member falling off his bike crippled all production as a reason for a delay.
- They haven't hit an actual release date promise in years.
- This forum found multiple examples of concept art featuring parts of other games' concept art in it.
- The "one seat" debacle highlighted a complete lack of communication between any different department and complaints made by paying customers were brushed off as coming from "toxic dinks."
- They started refusing refunds on the grounds that the Persistent Universe showed they'd done enough and that this was the game in its base form in spite of the fact at least one developer referred to it as a pre-pre-Alpha.
- They changed the TOS to flat out refuse customers their right to refunds and claimed that chargebacks were "illegal" in spite of the fact that it's a system created by banks.
- Their new TOS is a complete loving failure.
- They're keeping a list of people who asked for a refund for some weird reason. We know this because they incompetently let one refund-seeker stay in the CC of their internal communications.
- To them tweeting a ship name is corporate espionage.
- That entire email exchange with Beer where no one could even agree on what they were punishing him for.
- Every video PGabz makes is a giant neon sign showing how broken things are.
- SomethingJones has an archive of transcriptions of CIG interviews and shows that reveal even Chris doesn't know what he's doing half the time.
- They're still doing mocap.
- Chris Roberts takes multiple documented vacations a year while his staff apparently stay in working around the clock.
- They had so little to show at CitizenCon this year they had a 'documentary' to show that week which highlighted the fact they don't know what they're doing because they couldn't even properly make a demo. It shows Chris Roberts being a complete loving twat to people.
- Chris Roberts begs for gifts from backers in spite of tweeting himself on vacations.
- It once took Chris Roberts 8 hours to have a meltdown about Derek Smart over something Derek Smart wasn't even involved in.
- When they added "persistence" to the game it didn't actually add anything meaningfully persistent.
- Star Marine is in the game, except it isn't because it's coming out uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But no guys, they're trying. They're really trying and this sort of thing you'd see in any other company that was run by a tyrant if any of these other places were half as open as CIG. CIG is so open in fact that's why we have no idea on what real and tangible progress is occurring, what CIG's plan is, or if Star Marine is in the game or not. If you can read that from shoulder to toes (cause there's clearly nothing going on in the head of CIG and no one else is going to stick their neck out) and still sit there going "Yeah I'm fine" then holy poo poo get someone else to manage your money, and also have them put little safety covers on all the electrical sockets in your house.

This is the thing true-believers, even if you don't think it's a scam you're looking at a farce in progress. This isn't normal. This isn't even anything from the leaks posted here, this is all stuff that's out there mostly via CIG themselves. This is the kind of thing that comes out after a company goes down the tubes because of incompetence at the top and no real plan or idea of what they're doing. Five years into this thing and they're still throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping it sticks. Five years on and still no minimum viable product. Five years on and the best systems they could add were putting pants on and getting sent to your room. Squadron 42 has gone from a big campaign in 2016 to three separate campaigns to a prologue and a whole lot of hoping 2017 might be manageable. The one big thing they wanted to show everyone this year was just a mock-up they made because they had nothing to show for their work, and they still struggled to get any of that to run (and it hosed up during the presentation).

I finally read this. Good post, friend.

I can appreciate the dream of Star Citizen, but I wish they kept to the original Kickstarter. It'd be out by now, probably having "Mission Disks" as originally planned as well.

If only somebody was there to keep Roberts in check.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think Lazrin has ever played Star Citizen. In fact, I doubt he owns a computer.

So, you are saying library poster ITT?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wish MoMA would just pull the plug on SC.

No one man can stand against the visionary zeal and awesome power of the Crobbers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What's the bet that soon there will be a message from CRoberts saying that they lost a bunch of work due to hardware failure?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Backspace = full throttle AND blow up your own ship

:golfclap:

Having played many rally games and also ETS2, I feel this is an entirely accurate and fidelitous keybind.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skellybones posted:

CoD Infinite has multiplayer and single player, it's amazing how they made two entirely different, separate games at the same time in just a couple of years.

But multiplayer ISN'T a second game. It's just a game mode. Statements like this really annoy me.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Lazrin may be gone, but he's not forgotten. Let us honour him today, on the eve of Trumptopia, with this word cloud.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 9, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"leader" seems too small

on the plus side now Laz can play the best game ever for 7 uninterrupted days.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I enjoy that SOMEBODY is going around, editing each and every one of Lazrin's posts.

I wonder what made that person so mad?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Will SC see the light of day under President Trumps term?

Time will tell.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe president trump will bail out CIG.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I enjoy that SOMEBODY is going around, editing each and every one of Lazrin's posts.

I wonder what made that person so mad?

Wait what?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:smugdon:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Roberts will make space great again. I can feel it.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
Well, hope none of you were going to try and get into Canada...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-s-immigration-website-crashes-on-election-night-1.3152231

Really didn't believe it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Samizdata posted:

You saw I dropped an F-bomb, right? You know, "fun"?

I know this is more than a couple of hours ago, but I don't think anyone who has paid attention to the feature list are expecting fun out of either of these "games".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Remember when people were saying that Brexit was the dumbest decision anyone had ever made?

Haha. Good times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Posting from the past but just want to congratulate you on the JSW ref in case nobody else has
Lame references to old computer games and weak ice-burns are the only thing I can contribute to this saga. :v:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Chalks posted:

Remember when people were saying that Brexit was the dumbest decision anyone had ever made?

Haha. Good times.

But they should have already known about SC?!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Donald Trump is good for Star Citizen

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
all hail the god emperor

Chris Roberts

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
President Trump is going to make Star Citizen great again!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The big thing I notice when it comes to deflection of criticism of the current state of Star Citizen is that every time someone brings up its faults and flaws someone simply brushes it off as "early days" problems and that progress is sure to be happening now it seems like they've ironed their kinks out. Yet if you look at what they've done and what they've shown I just can't see it. I mean poo poo, look at this laundry list of problems:

- After declaring they would be releasing Persistant Universe patches monthly, they've failed to actually meet that deadline even once.
- The tutorial for Star Citizen was so broken it took multiple updates to remove (not fix, remove) and still has nothing replacing it.
- After introducing a system for clothing it revealed their atmos system was a sham, and on top of that still haven't been able to prevent players from flying around space shooting air from their nipples.
- They still can't make ships spawn correctly.
- The game has sold ship concepts that are advertised as being crewed by a number of players larger than what the game can handle at present.
- Sometimes basic functions of the ship make it explode.
- Every new gameplay system that they've introduced that is supposed to show that the game is progressing towards its goals has been a threadbare bolt-on that does little to add depth to the experience.
- The two fundamental core gameplay elements of ship combat and person to person combat are dull, primitive and buggy. In an engine designed for FPS play they managed to make crosshairs not work. Ships control poorly and many systems related to ship weapons still don't work properly.
- The game has ships that allow multiple people to crew it but no systems that really justify doing so.
- In spite of attempts to speed up the atrocious animations, they still take too long and frequently don't work correctly in tandem with anything else.
- The patcher is still a murderous resource hog that downloads the entire game with every small change.

You can go on with that too (and quite frankly I will):
- The chat UI is still the same as it ever was in spite of Chris Roberts openly slagging it off live on air that one time.
- They couldn't even program a timer for their own testing feedback systems.
- They openly admitted once their crash reporter isn't reporting much more than "game crashed".
- A not-insignificant amount of people in leading positions have moved on to other companies at a staggered and staggering rate.
- Chris Roberts openly admitted in a recent interview with Kotaku UK that he makes unrealistic demands of his staff (often rudely) and puts the onus on them to spend months making an example to show him in how it doesn't work, with the justification that people told him he couldn't put certain systems in but they still managed it (as compared to how many that didn't, we'll never know and he'll likely never tell).
- They once claimed a staff member falling off his bike crippled all production as a reason for a delay.
- They haven't hit an actual release date promise in years.
- This forum found multiple examples of concept art featuring parts of other games' concept art in it.
- The "one seat" debacle highlighted a complete lack of communication between any different department and complaints made by paying customers were brushed off as coming from "toxic dinks."
- They started refusing refunds on the grounds that the Persistent Universe showed they'd done enough and that this was the game in its base form in spite of the fact at least one developer referred to it as a pre-pre-Alpha.
- They changed the TOS to flat out refuse customers their right to refunds and claimed that chargebacks were "illegal" in spite of the fact that it's a system created by banks.
- Their new TOS is a complete loving failure.
- They're keeping a list of people who asked for a refund for some weird reason. We know this because they incompetently let one refund-seeker stay in the CC of their internal communications.
- To them tweeting a ship name is corporate espionage.
- That entire email exchange with Beer where no one could even agree on what they were punishing him for.
- Every video PGabz makes is a giant neon sign showing how broken things are.
- SomethingJones has an archive of transcriptions of CIG interviews and shows that reveal even Chris doesn't know what he's doing half the time.
- They're still doing mocap.
- Chris Roberts takes multiple documented vacations a year while his staff apparently stay in working around the clock.
- They had so little to show at CitizenCon this year they had a 'documentary' to show that week which highlighted the fact they don't know what they're doing because they couldn't even properly make a demo. It shows Chris Roberts being a complete loving twat to people.
- Chris Roberts begs for gifts from backers in spite of tweeting himself on vacations.
- It once took Chris Roberts 8 hours to have a meltdown about Derek Smart over something Derek Smart wasn't even involved in.
- When they added "persistence" to the game it didn't actually add anything meaningfully persistent.
- Star Marine is in the game, except it isn't because it's coming out uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But no guys, they're trying. They're really trying and this sort of thing you'd see in any other company that was run by a tyrant if any of these other places were half as open as CIG. CIG is so open in fact that's why we have no idea on what real and tangible progress is occurring, what CIG's plan is, or if Star Marine is in the game or not. If you can read that from shoulder to toes (cause there's clearly nothing going on in the head of CIG and no one else is going to stick their neck out) and still sit there going "Yeah I'm fine" then holy poo poo get someone else to manage your money, and also have them put little safety covers on all the electrical sockets in your house.

This is the thing true-believers, even if you don't think it's a scam you're looking at a farce in progress. This isn't normal. This isn't even anything from the leaks posted here, this is all stuff that's out there mostly via CIG themselves. This is the kind of thing that comes out after a company goes down the tubes because of incompetence at the top and no real plan or idea of what they're doing. Five years into this thing and they're still throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping it sticks. Five years on and still no minimum viable product. Five years on and the best systems they could add were putting pants on and getting sent to your room. Squadron 42 has gone from a big campaign in 2016 to three separate campaigns to a prologue and a whole lot of hoping 2017 might be manageable. The one big thing they wanted to show everyone this year was just a mock-up they made because they had nothing to show for their work, and they still struggled to get any of that to run (and it hosed up during the presentation).

This is great, well done.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

someone make that soccer dude gif saying the jews did this to say chris did this

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
From the article Derek linked:

http://www.thebitbag.com/star-citizen-anniversary-livestream-no-squadron-42-reveal-cig-reveals-plans/198903
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/796135946970427393

Ending the funding campaign? Now there's something I didn't expect.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Well, if they keep getting money, they can't say they ran out of money and now can't give refunds and due to the new TOS so long suckers.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
If Trump can do it then so can CR,

Chris Roberts for president 2020

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Roberts/Gardiner 2020

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Erenthal posted:

Roberts/Gardiner 2020

Gardiner as VP? Please.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

Wait what?

This is like, the 4th time SOMEBODY has gone around, editing people's posts.

Two or three of those sequences centered around Lazrin's posting. In fact, there was a series of 4 or so posts he did that were all edited and replaced with Derek Smart/Star Citizen Bug photos.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Yah, gotta say guys, with all the shocking revelations today, I think the internet might be full of poo poo.

Looking forward for Star Citizen in 2017 to destroy all other games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gonna sit on the border later today and laugh at all the Americans trying to immigrate.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, at least Branson got his wish.

https://twitter.com/FearNoGod/status/796258882955911168

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gonna sit on the border later today and laugh at all the Americans trying to immigrate.

You could try building a wall I guess, but chances are they would just clip right through it anyway.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Trumps acceptance speech reminded me a lot of Croberts mush mouth.

Maybe Trump can make a kickstarter for that wall.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is like, the 4th time SOMEBODY has gone around, editing people's posts.

Two or three of those sequences centered around Lazrin's posting. In fact, there was a series of 4 or so posts he did that were all edited and replaced with Derek Smart/Star Citizen Bug photos.

D_Smart posted:

Yes. Each time they mention or excerpt anything to do with attacking me or my game, it generates a FTFY meme automatically. Pure genius of you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AP posted:

This is great, well done.

It really wasn't meant to end up so big it just sort of blew out as I went "Oh and this happened and this happened" and you know what's great? I still keep thinking of more stuff because these CIG just keeps loving up. There's no way this company can with this sort of a track-record actually deliver on their promises. I understand this has been a fantastic year to be a scrappy underdog no one thinks has a chance but CIG are not a scrappy underdog. They're a giant robot vacuum cleaner intentionally programmed so that its brain gives its body 15 different conflicting orders and then it's sent to take everyone's money and just hoover it up.

Beexoffel posted:

Ending the funding campaign? Now there's something I didn't expect.

Gives them an excuse to take down the tracker and stop telling people how much money they've made while still selling new ships. I guarantee you at least one fanatical backer will use such an event to tell other people with legitimate complaints to "gently caress off because CIG doesn't need you any more."

• Locked thread