Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Remulak posted:

So you trust the heating system to NOW not produce CO? I dunno....

Now days you don't have a natural-gas powered space heater or coal-fired space heater in every room. Radiators, forced air, radiant floor, baseboard, ceiling units, etc are the norm, and it's extremely rare that you see someone actually burning fuel for heat in the classroom/bedroom/ etc. unless you get out into the boonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Remulak posted:

They're electrical so, yes. The coal plant making the power is producing the CO.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nickmeister posted:

I've heard the whole "leave the windows open when it's cold" story a few times in this thread. Has anyone gotten a solid answer before?

Believing in miasma theory.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan does this too. Smelly kerosene heaters and letting the germs go outside like makkuro-kurosuke.
They won't leave windows open with an electric air conditioner running, but may open them immediately as soon as the ac is off.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tell them you know me

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hey kids, now that I have finished plumbing, I have some more house advice for you.

Run all of your taps for a minute a day, if you live in an older building. While it's true that I only used the kitchen tap intermittently while I've been renovating (not for drinking I hasten to add), I took at least a hundred litres of water out that looked like an old man' renal failure piss - including the grit. Then I gave up and bodged a hose directly into the drain and ran it for nearly an hour and the water is clear again.

Don't let that poo poo accumulate in your pipes. Run your drat water, and especially let it run long before you use it when you come back from holiday

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

simplefish posted:

Hey kids, now that I have finished plumbing, I have some more house advice for you.

Run all of your taps for a minute a day, if you live in an older building. While it's true that I only used the kitchen tap intermittently while I've been renovating (not for drinking I hasten to add), I took at least a hundred litres of water out that looked like an old man' renal failure piss - including the grit. Then I gave up and bodged a hose directly into the drain and ran it for nearly an hour and the water is clear again.

Don't let that poo poo accumulate in your pipes. Run your drat water, and especially let it run long before you use it when you come back from holiday

alternatively don't drink your pipes

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since I sometimes talk about India, I wanted to mention this because it owns.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-modi-speaks-to-nation-tonight-at-8-pm-1622948

quote:

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, addressing the country tonight, announced that Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes will not be used from midnight onwards. The Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes must be deposited at post offices and banks by the end of December, the PM said, adding the move was essential to fight "the disease of black money."
Basically, Modiji is requiring all Indians to bring in their 500 and 1000 rupee notes to the banks or post offices to turn in and exchange later for the new 500s and 2000 notes. It was mentioned a long time ago that he had wanted to crack down on "Black money," or money that criminals amass and horde, as well as tax-evading businesses, terrorist funding, gangs, and other people like that. There was little warning about this, which was the point, and it's going to be a huge headache for a lot of people as the deadline is very soon.

What this scheme is doing is genius though. The people and organizations who are sitting on trashbags full of 1000 rupee notes will have no way to turn them in legally. Once the deadline passes they immediately become valueless except in small increments with government ID, and they'll get hassled for it. If they want to take them to a bank to turn in, they can only turn in a small amount unless they use their PAN card (like a personal identifier for income and money transactions), which will immediately flag them for suddenly trying to put in wheelbarrows of money. The guys and organizations with black money have millions of dollars, all unclaimed, mostly illegally gained, and untaxed (of course). They are all screwed, and the only options are to let it all go to waste and lose all of it, or try some schemes to put it in, but eventually someone is going to get flagged and arrested and linked back to the horde. If they can, they might be able to send hundreds of guys to every bank in a 1000km radius, but there's not enough to time to do that, especially with every normal citizen waiting in line to exchange their tender. There's just no way they can get rid of this money in those huge amounts without being caught.

This doesn't just gently caress over the big time criminals and corporations, this also screws the grandpas who have retired on embezzled cash and keep a mattress full of 1000s to live off of. This is the guy over-charging customers for years, or skimming off the top for a new car. This gets the people who take "donations" for services (bribes) and other easily-passed money. This gets everyone who stole money and is keeping a certain amount or higher. Since corruption is one of the most hated elements of Indian society by those who must deal with it, this is going to hit a LOT of people.

loving LMAO. There's going to be tons of rich assholes who are going to be poor as hell very soon.

Haier fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 8, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What's keeping them from buying gold and changing it back the moment they can?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What's the the thoughts on the election over in China?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Outrail posted:

I don't think China has elections

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ladron posted:

I don't think China has elections

Whats the thought on the American election over in China. There must be a few people who sort of follow things at least.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

Recognize Trump's name. Trump, he's very rich! Go Trump!
Obama wants to take the South China Sea from China. Hillary is friends with Obama. Down with Hillary!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

What's keeping them from buying gold and changing it back the moment they can?

If you were selling gold would you want to sell it for a pile of 1000rp notes that are going to become valueless in December? Of course some of it will be laundered through gold or gem dealers this way but what you're talking about here is now paying the money laundering fees you've been avoiding for XX years, so goodbye 25% of your money, given that you have access to a gold or gem dealer that isn't going to just cheat you on the exchange wholesale.

If you have a bag full of 1000rp notes are you going to run the risk of depositing it somewhere all at once to buy gold with, basically declaring your own history of fraud in the process?

Their only option is to distribute their money into the hands of dozens of people and have those people change it out and give it back to them. Do you know a few dozen people you could give a large sum of cash to and have them exchange it for you and give you it back without expecting a healthy fee?

raton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 8, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f18121c5942896d3a87491249&id=129e1fe116&e=c1d4c43121

For all three posters here seriously interested in China, here's the latest issue of Sinocism. Truly this will be the Chinese century.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Remulak posted:

a CO detector is a must, especially with all the chabuduo repairs that go on.

don't end up like this woman. four days into her new job and she gets china'd through no fault of her own.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haier posted:

Basically, Modiji is requiring all Indians to bring in their 500 and 1000 rupee notes to the banks or post offices to turn in and exchange later for the new 500s and 2000 notes. It was mentioned a long time ago that he had wanted to crack down on "Black money," or money that criminals amass and horde, as well as tax-evading businesses, terrorist funding, gangs, and other people like that. There was little warning about this, which was the point, and it's going to be a huge headache for a lot of people as the deadline is very soon.

What this scheme is doing is genius though. The people and organizations who are sitting on trashbags full of 1000 rupee notes will have no way to turn them in legally. Once the deadline passes they immediately become valueless except in small increments with government ID, and they'll get hassled for it. If they want to take them to a bank to turn in, they can only turn in a small amount unless they use their PAN card (like a personal identifier for income and money transactions), which will immediately flag them for suddenly trying to put in wheelbarrows of money. The guys and organizations with black money have millions of dollars, all unclaimed, mostly illegally gained, and untaxed (of course). They are all screwed, and the only options are to let it all go to waste and lose all of it, or try some schemes to put it in, but eventually someone is going to get flagged and arrested and linked back to the horde. If they can, they might be able to send hundreds of guys to every bank in a 1000km radius, but there's not enough to time to do that, especially with every normal citizen waiting in line to exchange their tender. There's just no way they can get rid of this money in those huge amounts without being caught.

This doesn't just gently caress over the big time criminals and corporations, this also screws the grandpas who have retired on embezzled cash and keep a mattress full of 1000s to live off of. This is the guy over-charging customers for years, or skimming off the top for a new car. This gets the people who take "donations" for services (bribes) and other easily-passed money. This gets everyone who stole money and is keeping a certain amount or higher. Since corruption is one of the most hated elements of Indian society by those who must deal with it, this is going to hit a LOT of people.

loving LMAO. There's going to be tons of rich assholes who are going to be poor as hell very soon.

hell yeah lmao

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Haier posted:

Isn't the logical outcome that 1000 rupee notes remain largely in circulation, holding roughly the same value, but can't be used for "official" transactions?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Khorne posted:

Isn't the logical outcome that 1000 rupee notes remain largely in circulation, holding roughly the same value, but can't be used for "official" transactions?

No.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm working on a quote for a project and I just got modern digital plans with "Chinaman's Room" on it. I've seen a bunch of old house plans with the same thing. Looking at some old survey drawings for a big lot behind my parent's house had a "Chinaman's House" officially labeled on it too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'm working on a quote for a project and I just got modern digital plans with "Chinaman's Room" on it. I've seen a bunch of old house plans with the same thing. Looking at some old survey drawings for a big lot behind my parent's house had a "Chinaman's House" officially labeled on it too.

Ah the servant's quarters.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Khorne posted:

The notes only have value because a backer says they do. The people who have an interest in seeing this "black money" retain value would need to have the ability to back the old notes somehow. But if they were planning that far ahead they'd be in the governance business instead of being on the take.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

John_A_Tallon posted:

The notes only have value because a backer says they do. The people who have an interest in seeing this "black money" retain value would need to have the ability to back the old notes somehow. But if they were planning that far ahead they'd be in the governance business instead of being on the take.

This is good for bitcoin.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

To the moon, Alice.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

big time bisexual posted:

don't end up like this woman. four days into her new job and she gets china'd through no fault of her own.
Sad that she bought her CO detector in China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

big time bisexual posted:

"Wholly inadequate procedures, poor controls, complete incompetence and no health and safety."

this is p much china in a nutshell

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Great Autismo! posted:

"Wholly inadequate procedures, poor controls, complete incompetence and no health and safety."

this is p much china in a nutshell

Too bad there's no comment section for wumao butthurt. That's my favorite.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I ran across the Reddit thread on this same topic an hour or two ago and every third comment was bitcoin shilling.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
With Trump likely to win, it basically means carte blanche for China in the South Sea, right?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you were selling gold would you want to sell it for a pile of 1000rp notes that are going to become valueless in December? Of course some of it will be laundered through gold or gem dealers this way but what you're talking about here is now paying the money laundering fees you've been avoiding for XX years, so goodbye 25% of your money, given that you have access to a gold or gem dealer that isn't going to just cheat you on the exchange wholesale.

If you have a bag full of 1000rp notes are you going to run the risk of depositing it somewhere all at once to buy gold with, basically declaring your own history of fraud in the process?

Their only option is to distribute their money into the hands of dozens of people and have those people change it out and give it back to them. Do you know a few dozen people you could give a large sum of cash to and have them exchange it for you and give you it back without expecting a healthy fee?

The thing about the jewelers is that for any purchase above a certain amount, it has to be registered with the government and the customer's tax documents need to be shown for it and taxed. That was a new system implemented this year, in preparation for what is now happening. The jewelers aren't going to want to screw their own businesses to help these guys launder money, as well as lose product that is valuable regardless of the change. Unless they are being coerced into it, and the people coercing them are willing to show where they got all that money, it's not going to work out for either party. The government was planning this all along.

This money change thing came almost completely out of nowhere. People in the banks had no clue. The banks are closed this week/weekend to implement the new procedures and update the software on the ATMs. That was the whole point. Had the criminals and money hoarders knew, they would have been spending and exchanging money to some other currency in advance. Nobody knew, not even media rumors or anything. The whole country was completely blind-sided. It's almost unbelievable that everyone connected to this was able to keep it secret.

The funny thing is that earlier there was a one-time "No questions asked declaration of money" deal that was offered, so that those who were hoarding money could declare it all consequence-free if they were willing to pay the tax on it. It was a chance to get some of that black money legal again and spare those who were hoarding. Only a few participated while the rest thought to wait on it. That chance is gone now and they are screwed.

I am sure there are ways to try to get around this, but it's obvious the government has thought about all of this and how most people will react.

For me, I can immediately think of several people and shops I go to that are probably making GBS threads themselves right now. I wish I was there to watch this live.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Nanomashoes posted:

Recognize Trump's name. Trump, he's very rich! Go Trump!
Obama wants to take the South China Sea from China. Hillary is friends with Obama. Down with Hillary!
This, plus "Trump is very good at business, because he is rich. He will do a lot of business. Good for America." Since people worship money here, the guy that seems like he can make a lot of money must be doing everything right in life. Why can't we respect a guy that made a lot of money? Despite Trump being a lovely businessman and inheriting his wealth. We should all admire the guy with wealth, because we all want to be like him, right?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Haier posted:

This, plus "Trump is very good at business, because he is rich. He will do a lot of business. Good for America." Since people worship money here, the guy that seems like he can make a lot of money must be doing everything right in life. Why can't we respect a guy that made a lot of money? Despite Trump being a lovely businessman and inheriting his wealth. We should all admire the guy with wealth, because we all want to be like him, right?
Kinda fitting that Trump appeals to the tu hao and fu er dai demographic, considering he is the American version of both.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
Trump want to build a big wall, Chinese people have a long history of build a big wall, so I think Trump very good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

The thing about the jewelers is that for any purchase above a certain amount, it has to be registered with the government and the customer's tax documents need to be shown for it and taxed. That was a new system implemented this year, in preparation for what is now happening. The jewelers aren't going to want to screw their own businesses to help these guys launder money, as well as lose product that is valuable regardless of the change. Unless they are being coerced into it, and the people coercing them are willing to show where they got all that money, it's not going to work out for either party. The government was planning this all along.

This is the way it's supposed to work in the US too but in practice a massive amount of drug money is laundered through the diamond district in NYC -- the diamond dealers just falsify a large number of small transactions on their books to cover for the large transaction and charge the drug dealer a certain percentage -- they can walk out with either diamonds or USD (or probably Euro these days). The only way this can really be enforced is to put an agent outside of each vendor and collect a bunch of inferential data on customers of interest, then bang the dealer for, I forget the term, shaping or something (demonstrate they are cutting reportable amounts into nonreportable ones, the government has never failed to prove this charge once pressed), and hope that's enough to force them to give up a dealer of particular note. This rarely happens because the gem guys generally won't inform on the top level drug money guys shifting money through their bullshit business (for obvious reasons) and because many of these guys are large enough that they have legit money on the books and use it to fund politicians or police organizations that keep them a step ahead of who's getting watched this week.

Enforcement like this is good because you still catch all the midlevel operators out (the ones that can't afford a good enough government or police official) and once in a while a sloppy top level operator, but there are still cracks to slip through.

E: Also I read somewhere that when the head of this policy was announced one particular guy in India (whom the law states must remain anonymous) brought in a "sack" of 500 and 1000 rupee notes equivalent to about 1.2 billion USD and, after paying his ~40% tax on it, carried the rest back out. He accounted for like 1/10th of the total money exchanged nationwide or something ludicrous like that. That's the kind of guy who, probably didn't keep all of his untaxed money in rupee anyway, the sort of guy that pays a goon to drive to North Korea to buy a certain amount of counterfeit US 50s and to the Caymans to get another certain amount of legit US 100s and EUR 500s. Still, something is better than nothing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

brought in a "sack" of 500 and 1000 rupee notes equivalent to about 1.2 billion USD

1000 rupees is like $15, so that must have been one hell of a sack

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think Americans just lost the ability to criticize chinar.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
We got our own Duterte. I wonder how many countries will now have their own america.jpg chat threads going.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I tried to make a few jokes here and there but now it's sinking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Haier posted:

We got our own Duterte. I wonder how many countries will now have their own america.jpg chat threads going.

I can't wait for Trump to call him a bitch and tell him to go gently caress himself.

• Locked thread