Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
So youre a cheat basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Adrianics posted:

Save scummed last night because I lost 1-0 and their goal was a full back back-passing too lightly, the goalkeeper dallying and a striker running uninvited to the ball. Basically gently caress losing because of some cheap match engine glitch.

I know that SI are absolutely insistent that there's no 'scripting' but what else are we supposed to think? I was on a five game unbeaten run and it felt a lot like the game going "no, gently caress you, it's time for you to lose so I'm going to pull some cheap arse gravy and make sure that happens". This has been a problem for as long as I can remember and I'm at a loss as to what else I'm supposed to get from poo poo like this.

Did you lose the match again then? If not, there isn't scripting, right?

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Adrianics posted:

Save scummed last night because I lost 1-0 and their goal was a full back back-passing too lightly, the goalkeeper dallying and a striker running uninvited to the ball. Basically gently caress losing because of some cheap match engine glitch.

I know that SI are absolutely insistent that there's no 'scripting' but what else are we supposed to think? I was on a five game unbeaten run and it felt a lot like the game going "no, gently caress you, it's time for you to lose so I'm going to pull some cheap arse gravy and make sure that happens". This has been a problem for as long as I can remember and I'm at a loss as to what else I'm supposed to get from poo poo like this.

I was always under the impression that the numbers behind the engine are correct (you lost 1-0, likely on a player error), but the match engine can't make that look even somewhat realistic. So you get goalkeepers crushing the ball into their own net, backpasses that turn into screamers, etc.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

The Big Taff Man posted:

So youre a cheat basically?

Losing because the match engine decides it's going to throw a shitfit and make your defender essentially give a goal to the opposition, in a way that would be roundly and thoroughly mocked for years to come in real life, is not fun or enjoyable; you can't even say "these things happen in real life" because it happens within the match engine so often, to an unrealistic degree. Plus it isn't acknowledged by the commentary or even by the player ratings most times.

I know they have to put errors into the ME, but my point is that they happen too often and to no reaction in-game. And as I've said before, this a problem that's been around at least since they made the move to the 3D engine.

I don't reset every time I lose but reserve my rights to have a temperamental reaction when the game glitches.

jyrka posted:

Did you lose the match again then? If not, there isn't scripting, right?

I did actually lose again, this time 0-2. One of those typical "they scored with both chances and we didn't make the most of anything" games that are very annoying but close to real life.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Cthulhumatic posted:

I was always under the impression that the numbers behind the engine are correct (you lost 1-0, likely on a player error), but the match engine can't make that look even somewhat realistic. So you get goalkeepers crushing the ball into their own net, backpasses that turn into screamers, etc.

It's because its something like the 3D match engine still can't accurately reflect what's going on in the actual ME.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Cthulhumatic posted:

Yes, this is my point: It needs to be addressed and sorted out. 'Player errors' need to be reflected better than "tame header the CD inexplicably decides not to chase" or "player stops stone-cold dead after miscontrolling" or "goalkeeper drops ball and doesn't consider it worth the effort of picking up again". This is what makes one feel like the game is rigged against you.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Adrianics posted:

Yes, this is my point: It needs to be addressed and sorted out. 'Player errors' need to be reflected better than "tame header the CD inexplicably decides not to chase" or "player stops stone-cold dead after miscontrolling" or "goalkeeper drops ball and doesn't consider it worth the effort of picking up again". This is what makes one feel like the game is rigged against you.

Oh I agree, and I've rage-quitted many times over it. It's not actually rigged, because, as ragingsheep said, if you watch in 2D you get what's actually happening. It just looks like rampant mounds of incompetence in 3D.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

go back to cm3 mode and just read the text imo

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Adrianics posted:

Losing because the match engine decides it's going to throw a shitfit and make your defender essentially give a goal to the opposition, in a way that would be roundly and thoroughly mocked for years to come in real life, is not fun or enjoyable; you can't even say "these things happen in real life" because it happens within the match engine so often, to an unrealistic degree. Plus it isn't acknowledged by the commentary or even by the player ratings most times.

I know they have to put errors into the ME, but my point is that they happen too often and to no reaction in-game. And as I've said before, this a problem that's been around at least since they made the move to the 3D engine.

I don't reset every time I lose but reserve my rights to have a temperamental reaction when the game glitches.

Lots of words to say "Yes, I cheated"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You've all got it backwards. The match engine doesn't pick a result first and then cobble together nonsense to fit, the nonsense makes the result.

And the 3d engine isn't trying to represent the "real" match engine. The 3d has been the real thing for years now. The 2d is a poorly implemented legacy feature that they're keen to get rid of entirely (but fear backlash and the work involved to remove the button).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Adrianics posted:

Do you really think it's more likely they sat down and scripted a bunch of bizarre "player error" routines than the player ai just being a buggy mess that does the same stupid tings on the regular?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

No, I said that's how it feels. I'm aware that all this poo poo is the match engine manifesting itself in ridiculous ways.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Which is why you cheat?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Adrianics posted:

No, I said that's how it feels. I'm aware that all this poo poo is the match engine manifesting itself in ridiculous ways.

I see fluke goals go both ways. Having just completed a FM17 season, they're in the minority. Deal with it?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mandalay posted:

I see fluke goals go both ways. Having just completed a FM17 season, they're in the minority. Deal with it?

I do deal with it, I play the game regularly and mostly enjoy it. They're in the minority but happen often enough for me to consider them a problem.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I cheat because idk anythig about soccer, my tacics are poo poo, i dont know anyones name, and i nearly got Arsenal relegated op but i still wanna have fun

e: i cheat by making myself and my friends 18 year old -9 PA players and just fill out positions and give ourselves a quarter billion dollar release fee god bless

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 8, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The AI gets hosed over by weird stuff in the ME just as much as you do, and tbh, one of the worst problems with the AI is how bad it is playing at the game, it is not cheating to get cheeky results against you.

If you ever have a long term save...don't consider it noteworthy in any way, past around 2020 the AI has shat the bed and none of the AI squads can compete against a human no matter how bad of a player they are.

The problems with the match engine do not stem out of difficulty at beating the AI, they are caused by weird gamey tactics making beating the AI unsatisfying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They've still not fixed AI managers thinking positional familiarity ratings matter to performance.

Imagine if you made all your player selection and purchasing decisions based on star ratings. That's how bad the AI is at the game.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

They've still not fixed AI managers thinking positional familiarity ratings matter to performance.

Imagine if you made all your player selection and purchasing decisions based on star ratings. That's how bad the AI is at the game.

Yeah this is what causes AI squads to stagnate long term.

Why play 2.5 star Kovacic when you have 4.5 star Modric? Then 2020 rolls around and Kovacic is completely undeveloped and probably got transfer listed a while back, while Modric plays every match, long term the AI just can't maintain a proper squad and you get this weird race to the bottom going on.

This is also why the AI will come at you with 70-80% condition players it refuses to rest.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Which is why you cheat?

Lol if you care about how someone else plays Jose Mourinho simulator 2017.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

9-Volt Assault posted:

Lol if you care about how someone else plays Jose Mourinho simulator 2017.

Jose plays a different management game.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Jose plays Rooney in a double pivot in FM17 and makes it work...

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Jose stopped save scumming at some point and his teams stopped winning.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Cheapest place to buy FM17 atm? It's like $85NZ here which is about normal but I'm trying to be cheap for once.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

This is how I actually play

Does the green bar matter

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

This is how I actually play

Does the green bar matter

Is that the role suitability thing? Then no. It means well but it's a naive and limited way of looking at how to build a team. It's not as awful as star ratings, but what is?

Say if you need a Half-Back in your team to make it work, picking the guy with the highest suitability at Half-Back isn't necessarily bad. But the attributes that the game has decided are important for a half-back aren't necessarily what you want from your team and players, or even what works best in the match engine. And I don't think it takes into account things like Player Preferred Moves and left/right foot strength which dramatically effect how players operate.

The best way to play is to turn off as many of the helpful guide features as possible and make every decision based on visible attributes and results. Pick the guy with amazing first touch and vision instead of the 4-star rated guy who doesn't have any remarkable attributes. Keep faith with the 2 star winger who's scored 5 in 3 and let the 4.5 star superstar rot on the bench.

The game lies, sometimes even deliberately.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Does personality fall into this as well? I have been mostly focusing getting guys that are Resolute or whatever instead of guys that are "fairly" anything.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Basically you shouldn't listen to anything, everything the game suggests is wrong and the AIs are all racing to the bottom as the save gets longer.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Basically you shouldn't listen to anything, everything the game suggests is wrong and the AIs are all racing to the bottom as the save gets longer.

im in a race to teh bottom of the special olympics of football manager

Because I am terrible at FM i like to make my friends and allow the computer to randomly generate the stats. Are any of us any good? what would you do with these guys?

I play a 4-2-3-1 wide.

RB(Auto)-BPD(D)-CD(D)-LB(Auto)
BWM(D)-DLP(S)
W(S)-AP(A)-W(S)
AF(A)

My AF-A

W(s)

W(s)

BPD(D)

idk what to make of all those stat distributions but im playing as millwall and being a fuckin dick about everything and we are tied for 1st in the league

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtkor posted:

Does personality fall into this as well? I have been mostly focusing getting guys that are Resolute or whatever instead of guys that are "fairly" anything.

Personality shows their most remarkable attribute(s), so yeah, if their best is that they're "fairly" something then they're nothing special.

Hidden personality attributes aren't massively important though, unless they're kids (Professionalism and Ambition control how fast their attributes increase) or their Temperament and Pressure are really bad. I like low Sportsmanship in my players.

Good personalities breed good personalities, it's worth doing right.

But if you plan on winning all the time who cares how players react to adversity?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

im in a race to teh bottom of the special olympics of football manager

Because I am terrible at FM i like to make my friends and allow the computer to randomly generate the stats. Are any of us any good? what would you do with these guys?

I play a 4-2-3-1 wide.

RB(Auto)-BPD(D)-CD(D)-LB(Auto)
BWM(D)-DLP(S)
W(S)-AP(A)-W(S)
AF(A)

My AF-A

W(s)

W(s)

BPD(D)

idk what to make of all those stat distributions but im playing as millwall and being a fuckin dick about everything and we are tied for 1st in the league

I'd untrain those preferred moves from the CB. He's a maniac.

The tiny winger with world class heading needs to go near post flick on corners.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sassassin posted:

The tiny winger with world class heading needs to go near post flick on corners.

Heading 19
Jumping Reach: 2

watta game :whitewater:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

Heading 19
Jumping Reach: 2

watta game :whitewater:

lol tbf i just filled out PA of like -8 and a CA of ~120ish and let it do everything

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

I'd untrain those preferred moves from the CB. He's a maniac.

lol nah he owns, train up his dribbling and build an insane sweeper tactic around him imo

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Does having a fitness coach make a difference to injuries? In one of my saves I didn't bother getting one, and it feels like players are dropping like flies in both training and matches.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fitness coaches shouldn't have any influence. Physios should.

So yeah, hiring a few fitness coaches will probably fix it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol.

I never play in England so don't deal with the work permits thing.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Was given the full version of the game as an early Christmas present; this is a reminder to you all to save your demo games to 'local' and not to the Steam cloud; otherwise you'll lose everything. Don't be me, guys :(

I've now gotten to that point where I feel like I've got the tactics sorted but the profligacy is killing me. Every game my team dominates possession and shots, but every shot is charged down, saved or hits the post. Then the opposition score with ruthless efficiency and completely shuts up shop. So many 0-1, 1-1 or 0-2 results from this. Gets pretty frustrating but I guess that's football. Or Football Manager.

I'm still getting to grips with team talks. Assertive seems to get the best results (especially 'show me something else' if you're drawing or losing at HT) but my players are constantly nervous/very nervous and nothing seems to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm not sure what's happening, but I've been playing as Nottingham Forest, rolling with a fairly generic (and I expected lovely) 5-3-2 formation after my assman suggested it, and it's led to

3rd in Championship (Won Playoffs)
6th in Premiership
Currently 8th in Premiership (2 points out of 5th)/Knockout stages of Europa/Semi-Final of League Cup/4th round of FA Cup

I try to completely avoid any team instructions or opposition instructions, and just have the lads run around and have fun. Kind of a Harry Redknapp style

It seems like through balls/long balls to strikers going out wide are better as opposed to it purely being wingbacks just destroying everyone. And free kicks are actually useful again. But still, late arriving wingbacks putting in crosses are the poo poo. Also, Britt Assombalonga is the loving man. Scored 27 in the Championship, 19 with 10 assists first season in the Premiership.